Fighting For Nothing

Shining Light

"Aish, that stupid guy.... If you know that you can't drink, don't even dare to taste it. Just look at the mess you made." I could hear a familiar voice on my room.

"Jonghyun-ah...," I called him with my eyes closed. I removed my blanket, then tried to sit on my bed.

"Hmm?"

"Thanks." I said and smiled. After I opened my eyes, and I saw Jonghyun's tidying my room. Because of me, now it's all a mess.

"Thanks? After what I did to you, you just said thanks? Heol."

I smiled and laughed slightly. "And sorry," I added. "I know I made you suffered a lot. I made difficulties for you. But I realized that when I'm down, you're the one who stayed beside me. You even slept here just to stay with me, right?"

"It's not like you have so many friends but I'm the only one who chose to stay. You really have no friends since you were child. There were just you, Choi Minho, and me. Even Minho couldn't visit your house because you're too popular. The rules that they gave to you are too strict. Luckily after you were graduated, now you're a little bit free. I remember back then, even you were not allowed to go out alone."

"Actually I'm confused. I'm not that popular. People don't recognize me when I'm on the street. There's nothing special about me." I said.

"Not that popular? You're the only son of The Kim Company's fonder and head manager! Heol. Even when I read the list of most rich person in South Korea, I saw your name on top 10. People don't recognize you because you don't expose yourself too much. Beside the important person like managers, billionaires, your teachers from school, and your classmates, I don't think an ordinary person know you. They gave you too much strict rules. Over protected."

"Absolutely," I agreed. "Ah, do you know where's my phone? I need to call someone."

Jonghyun searched over my room, under my bed, on my desk, and even inside the cupboard but he couldn't find it. I'm confused.

"Ah, I think that means I should borrow your phone. Please call Minho for me, Jonghyun-ah. Tell him to come here."

"Minho? Minho who? Choi or Lee?"

I looked at him seriously. Then I said, "Choi of course, you babo."

"Woah. This will be the first time for him! He never visited your house, right?"

"Yeah. Anyway, he could take a bus, right?" I asked Jonghyun.

"Hmm. It takes about 2 hour from there, I think. Just wait him."

"Alright. Call him."

Jonghyun took his phone and called Minho as I asked. After he hung up, he suddenly said, "Do you want to ask Jinki to come too?"

"Jinki?"

"Yeah. Yesterday, after you ran away like that, I told him to take Hae Ri back to her house. Minho and I followed you, but then Minho said he had to go home because his mom called him. Then I followed you alone to your house. Hae Rin still on that house. The very last minute I saw her, I knew she was crying. But she just held on that Lee Minho's hand and he took her to the second floor of his super big house. They left us alone on the first floor, and Hae Ri was still crying."

"Jinki... Don't call him. He's really close with Hae Ri, right?"

"Why? Why it looks like you're avoiding him?"

"Because I don't want to meet anyone related to Hae Ri or Hae Rin." I said.

"Wow. Within a day, you could be this different. I thought Hae Rin's your crush. And I thought Hae Ri's someone whom you can think all day long. I mean you're close with Hae Ri, right?"

"No, not anymore." I said. "Hae Rin..., she was my long-time crush. But I think I should forget her. I'm very disappointed when I looked at her yesterday. Even though she didn't say that she's comfortable or uncomfortable, but I could tell she wanted to stay with him by seeing from her hands. She held his hand tightly. I asked myself, who's the stranger? That Lee Minho guy..., or me?"

"Then, have you answered it?" Jonghyun asked.

"Yeah. I found out that I am the stranger. Because like what he said, he knows her more than I do. And yesterday when I and him were in there, she chose to hold his hand instead of mine. She walked to him instead of me. She stood beside him..., instead of me. So I think the friendship we built for 5 years has broken already. If she didn't do anything to hold our friendship, then why I had to? Any relationship needs the fights of two parties to hold out. If I'm the only one who fight for her, then it's not a friendship anymore. She didn't want to fight together with me. Then it's okay, I won't too."

"Okay, let's say you're disappointed because of her. Then what about Hae Ri? She didn't do anything wrong! She fought together with you!"

"Yeah. But knowing that she's the caused of this problem, I feel frustrated. I don't know what to do... We searched Hae Rin together, but in the end we saw her with that guy, married already. We searched Hae Rin together, but in the end we knew that the reason behind this problem is Hae Ri. We walked along with the person who caused all of this. And I don't understand..., why did she reject that scholarship? Why did she make Hae Rin suffer all this long? But I don't understand Hae Rin too. Why did she let herself sunk in his hand? She said she will do anything for Hae Ri's school fee. What's so important about school?! Hae Rin didn't even finish her school!"

"But Hae Ri didn't even know that her sister sacrificed herself for her! She just knew that, same with us!"

I sighed and nodded. "Right.... But I don't know why, I think I should stay away from her too. Her and her twin. I should avoid them. This is so confusing..."

"Wait..." Jonghyun put his hands in front of his chest. "If Hae Ri and Hae Rin are twin, then they should be at the same age, right? And if Hae Rin is 18 years old, then Hae Ri must be 18 years old too. She's at the same age with you. Don't you see her at the high school?"

"Not really... Hae Rin said to me, her sister didn't enter the junior high school in Seoul International School. They entered the different school. I think it's because Hae Rin got a scholarship to Seoul International School, then she took it. But Hae Ri didn't get it, so that's why both of them didn't enter the same junior high school." I said. "Hae Rin quit her school when she was on her first grade, I think Hae Ri did the same too."

"What? She got a scholarship?" Jonghyun asked.

"Yeah. She told me."

"I think it's impossible for Korean students to get a scholarship in Korea. I think scholarships only available for another countries. Don't you think so?"

"Really? But she told me that..... Wait. You're not telling me that she was lying, are you?" I squinted my eyes.

"Who knows? There are 2 possibilities; 1, I'm wrong. 2, she lied to you."

And I think my whole life is a lie.

***

It's already 11 pm in Seoul. Inside a small house, there was a girl, sleeping silently.

Then suddenly her phone beeped. She woke up even if she didn't want to.

She got a text message.

Her eyes got wider after she read the message.

Rin : Are you home?

It was the first text message she got after her twin ran away from home.

Rin : if you're not sleeping, please look at the window.

Then that girl, Hae Ri, ran from her bed to the window in the living room.

She opened the window in shocked.

"Rin-"

"Ssh..." Hae Rin put her finger in front of her lips.

Hae Ri saw her twin took her phone, and wrote something on their text message conversation.

Lee Minho is hearing our conversation. Don't speak. Don't whisper. He will know that. He put a record player in my dress.

Even though Hae Ri still in shocked, she tried to understand.

Why did you come here?

Hae Ri typed on their text message conversation too.

I wanted to explain everything to you. I said to him I left my wallet in home. So he let me go because he worried that I had his photo on my wallet, but he put a record player to make sure I won't runaway.

Then Hae Ri typed,

What do you want to explain? I'll listen. I'm listening.

After that, Hae Rin really sent her a text message.

Rin : To know that you're still here to listen to my words, to hear my explanation, to meet me, and not avoiding me, I'm really grateful. To know that you were trying to find me, I'm really grateful.

Ri : But you didn't even say a word yesterday.

Rin : I'm sorry, I couldn't. I told you, he's dangerous. Why did you not listen to me? Don't you believe me?

Ri : But we were trying to find you.

Rin : I told you to not search me.

Ri : But I can't live without you. And not only me, Key-ssi too..

Rin : Let's not talk about him.

Ri : Okay, okay. So explain to me...

Rin : He's an evil. He's a lucifer. Don't blame yourself, Ri...

Ri : But you're married.....with him. I thought you loved Key-ssi.

Rin : it's not what I want. He forced me to!

Ri : Why did you do that? To pay my school fee? But why...?

Rin : I feel sorry to you. Because I took the scholarship, I feel sorry to left you alone in that school. We shouldn't be separated, but I took the scholarship. I'm sorry, I feel sorry. I did the wrong thing. That's why after you quit your school, I quit my school too and help you to find money.

Ri : You know you didn't have to do that. I said I don't really like school, so I quit and search a job. I thought we had to save money too. But you, you got the scholarship. You're the one who shouldn't quit from school, Rin.

Rin : And because I feel sorry, I wanted to make you feel the High School again. I tried really hard to make you forgive me.

Ri : And what about you? Don't you think you should go to school again?

Rin : I'm sorry, I have to go now.

Hae Ri looked at her sister sadly. She wanted to stay with her a little bit longer, but then she realized her sister had a record player in her outfit.

Ri : I don't know what to do, but please take care of yourself. We'll meet soon..