A Stormy Night

Shining Light

Seoul, 2005

 

"Yes, I'll be there after the dinner. Please wait, okay? He hasn't arrived yet," She bit her lips, wondering if he will really come or not. Is he forget about their date today? Well, at least she thinks they have to celebrate their 1 year anniversary as a couple. Maybe he doesn't think it's important. But for girls, it's a big problem, for sure. It's her first date, though.

"Make sure he's not cheating with another girl while you're now waiting for him like it's already years. Why don't you try to call him? Just in case if there's something bad happened to him...... You know.....,"

"Yah! It's my first date, anyway. Not yours. Just solve your own problems with Key-ssi. I think it would be better," She answered her sister, but her eyes start roaming and searching for her boyfriend existence. She is desperately searching for him, as the thoughts of break up suddenly filled her mind. What if he really doesn't want to come because he wants to break up with her on their 1 year anniversary?

"Oh, Shin Hae Ri..., I think I watch drama too much." She suddenly murmured to herself.

"What? What did you say?"

"No. Nothing. Rin, you should hang up now. I know you want to hear your boyfriend's voice so badly. Just quickly, hang up before I hang up first." She let a soft chuckled, acted like she's okay so her twin won't worry about her anymore. She already 18, though. It's her time to prove that she can handle her love life by herself.

"YAH! YOU, LITTLE KID! Who said that Key's my boyfriend, huh? And who said that I want to hear his voice? Don't imagining things like that, you, kid!"

"Rin, you are the one who said that. I didn't even mention a name, but you guessed it right. By the way, we were born on the same year. If you called me little kid, so you're a little kid too. Eh, I think I need to go to the restroom. See you later, okay? Bye!" She laughed to herself as she turned off her phone.

She starts to walk to the restroom when suddenly her eyes stuck at one person who she waited for. There are tears in her eyes as she see her boyfriend's kissing another girl in front of the restroom, in front of her. She runs as fast as she can. She runs without looking at the road, and with her teary eyes, she left that restaurant. Her heart starts to beat heavily, and she doesn't know how to breath properly after she saw it.

"It was a bad dream, a really really bad dream. He won't cheat on me, right?" She tried to comfort herself, but the scene of her boyfriend kissing another girl just filled her mind until she couldn't even think a single thing.

She has to go home, now.

***

"I'm pretty busy today. Why?" Hae Rin asked someone through their phone conversation.

"Oh, can we meet at 9? I know you're busy but I think I miss you so damn much. We haven't met like for years, Hae Rin. You say I'm busy everyday. But honestly you know what? The one who have the right to say busy is me. "

"You're kidding me. We just met two days ago. No, Key. It's okay.  I think I have something to tell you," She smiled silently, waiting for Key's reaction. Perhaps... He's curious now? He's just like a little kid that always gets stress when everything doesn't turn out into his expectation. But she likes him, though. With all those every single details of him.

"OH? Really? I can't wait to meet you! What do you want to tell me about? What is it? What? Tell me!" He excited by himself but also curious at the same time. Just like what she guessed.

"It's a secret,"

"Shin Hae Rin~~ Okay, okay. I will pick you up at 8.55 in your house, okay?" She nodded her head, acted like he was there and saw her action. But then, her eyes catch a familiar figure that she called about 35 minutes ago.

What the heck that happened to my sister?!  
She thought as she stood up to have a clear sight of Hae Ri. Without any words from her, she stopped walking and stood there, blankly. Lifeless. Breathless. Mindless.


Knowing that her sister might be fainted anytime soon, she hugged Hae Ri tightly, even though she doesn't know anything behind those tears. She patted her back slowly, and Hae Ri wrapped her hands around her twin's waist. She let her tears fall into her twin's white t-shirt. At first, she doesn't want Hae Rin to know her problem. But she's her own sister, after all. She is her best listener, her best comforter, and her best counselor when it comes to love. Even though Hae Rin can't solve her problem with Key, but still, she's the best love adviser to other people.

"It's okay, don't cry anymore. You deserve the best person and it's not him but I know you'll be alright. Just like what I said, you have to be careful with a man. Seeing from your tears, I could guess he cheated on you, right?" She hugged Hae Ri tighter, afraid to cry if she see her sister's tears.

"Maybe it's because you've predicted it or....... Don't tell me you really wished him to cheat on me? You told me like you know it all."

"Hey! No, of course not! I'm not a fortune-teller. But I use my instinct as a girl. Why can't you understand? He's a handsome boy, rich, and he has pretty good career even though it's only his part time job. You told me he's a model, right? Why does he love an ordinary girl like you if there are so many extraordinary girls outside there who were waiting for him to say a hello? You have to think right, Shin Hae Ri. It's not like I consider you as an ordinary, no. You are an extraordinary girl to me, of course. But to him? Who knows? It was your luck to have a chance to get closer to him. But now, maybe he's not comfortable to stay with you, to be with you. What should you do beside forget about him? Nothing. Just forget about him."

Hae Ri shakes her head a couple of times, a sign that she doesn't agree and she won't do it. Sometimes, she wants to make a decision to not believe what her sister said.

"What about Key-ssi? He's handsome, rich, intelligent, kind, and he even has a really good position on his father's company. But why does he love you? No, Rin. I don't think whether an ordinary or extraordinary will affect a relationship if it really comes because of a true love. Just maybe..., maybe he has already found someone better than me. And it's my time to step backward slowly, watching him from afar. Right?" She made Hae Rin smile and nodded her head. Hae Rin knows, her sister just need a sometime to be alone and realize that it was the best thing to learn for her love-life in the future.

Hae Rin walks away from the living room to her bedroom. Because Hae Ri's room is beside hers, so she could take care of her twin and make sure she won't do anything stupid related to her and her boyfriend tonight. Slowly she reached her hand phone and sends a text message to someone.

Sorry, I won't be able to go out tonight. Hae Ri broke up with her boyfriend and here I am, trying to make sure that she won't hurt herself tonight. She needs some rest and I should take care of her. Will you be alright? If it's okay, then I'm gonna make sure that we're gonna have a date anytime soon. That was the thing that I wanted to tell you.