014

No Bodyguards, Please
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I link my arm through Changjo's and hug his arm as we made our way through the corridor.

I groaned upon seeing the long stairway.

"C'mon," says Changjo.

"It was exhausting enough to walk this far," I pouted.

Changjo sighs.

"What, should I carry you?"

"Yes, please!"

Changjo shakes his head at me.

"Take off your shoes, instead."

"You'll help me put them back on later?"

"Yes," Changjo in his cheeks and looks upward, "I will."

"Okay!" I take off the shoes by putting the heel against the ground and sliding my feet out. I take them in my hand and skip down the stairs, being careful not to trip over the gown.

 

"What?" I ask as I step off the last stair of the first flight. "You aren't coming?"

I look up at Changjo, who was smiling down at me. Without saying anything, he silently descends the stairs.

Once we reached the floor where the function would be held, the greatest idea popped into my head.

"Hey," I say to Changjo, "race you there!"

I run off in direction of the hall, leaving Changjo puzzled, but in a couple of seconds, he registers what I meant and begins chasing after me.

Unfortunately, my head-start hadn't helped my chances too much, plus the gown was slowing me down, so I was out of breath faster than usual, and Changjo caught up to me in a matter of seconds.

"See you," he says as he catches up to me, then speeds ahead.

"Hey!"

I pick up my pace and soon catch up to him.

Just to my luck, I tripped over my dress. But on the bright side, I caught Changjo's arm and he fell down with me.

Then again, I wasn't that lucky, because I fell on top of him. Well, I would've been underneath him if he hadn't reacted so quickly (once again, those amazing reflexes). He pulled me into a hug before we hit the ground.

Remembering how hard Niel had worked on my appearance and not wanting to spoil anything, I quickly lift my head off his shoulder, laughing.

Our eyes met and he stopped laughing.

It became awkward as we kept staring at each other, and for some reason, I couldn't break his gaze.

His gaze became more intense.

"Guys!"

"Uh?"

We look up to see a girl peering down at us.

"Wow, Niel," says Changjo, you don't look half bad."

Oh.

"Thanks!" Niel smiles.

"There you are!"

Chunji runs over to us, wearing the suit Niel had pulled out of the closet earlier.

Once again: Oh.

He looked amazing. He extended a hand to me, and I took it.

His palm was soft. I felt my cheeks flushed as he pulled me up to face him. He smiled the beautiful smile, then turned to help Changjo.

I hadn't noticed that I was staring at him- star-struck- until Niel snapped his fingers in front of my face, bringing me back to reality.

Once Chunji helps Changjo up, Changjo jogs away and returns after picking up my shoes, which I'd presumably dropped when I challenged him.

"Should I help her put them on?" asks Chunji, extending his hands out to Changjo as he approached.

"No," replies Changjo, inching away from Chunji, looking at him with an unreadable expression.

Chunji raises an eyebrow and whispers something inaudible in Niel's ear. Niel nods and whispers something back.

In the meantime, Changjo kneels to place the shoes in front of me, stands back up, and holds me for support as I slip my feet into them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter