013

No Bodyguards, Please
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'd slept really well during the night. I'd convinced Changjo that he didn't need to stay with me and that he could relax for a while, and he'd made me promise him that I would call him if anything at all came up. The next morning, I took a shower and changed into the new clothes I'd bought at the mall. I'd worn jeans, one of the t-shirts (which was plain and white) and the blue hoodie. Luckily, the shower operated just as the one I used at home, and I managed to lock the door before Changjo lazily walked in and caught me .

Oh, and speaking of home: I finally contacted my mother, who was grateful to the "super-duper fabulous and kind soul" that had kept me safe. Though, I couldn't tell her everything. She told me she's staying with her sister who lives in Mokpo, so she'd happily waltzed off there. I told her that I'd ended up at my friend Hara's (I call her Lily, because those are her favourite flowers). She said it was fine, and I explained that it may be a few days before I got home, and that was enough to persuade her.

It took Changjo longer than it took me to get ready.

I was seated, waiting on the couch for him to come downstairs so we could leave. We ate take-out the night before (which was absolutely delicious, I officially loved fried rice), and after eating, Ricky and L.Joe had left.

On their way out the door, L.Joe turned and whispered to me: "If he's a little too rough, tell him to stop."

Good God, did I want to slap him.

 

 

Soon, Changjo comes jogging down the stairs, hugging a phone between his ear and shoulder while fixing the cuffs on his shirt. What was it with this guy? I mean, he dresses so nice.

He glances up at me, still talking on the phone, smiles, then he redirects his gaze back at the ground as he finishes fixing his sleeves.

"Yeah, Chief, we're just leaving now. Yep, yes, okay, no problem, yep, bye."

He takes the phone in his hand and ends the call.

"You ready?" he asks, pulling on sneakers that looked name-brand.

"About time you're ready."

I cross my arms, get off the couch and walk over to him. 

"You look nice today," he says, gaze fixated on his shoes.

I tilt my head to look at him. 

"What?" he asks when he looks up at me, "don't I look nice today, too? I mean, you said so when I was on the phone."

I'd said that aloud, too?

"Yeah, you look fabulous. Anyways, let's go!"

I'm about to exit the door and Changjo pulls me back by the wrist.

"Are you crazy?"

"What?"

He shakes his head and makes me stand behind him as he opens the door and walks out onto the porch, carefully scanning the property.

"Kay," he turns around to face me, squinting slightly in the sunlight. "Let's make this quick."

As soon as he unlocks the car, I dash out of the house and jump into the passenger seat, almost slamming the door behind me.

Once Changjo locks the house, he does the same.

This time, I made sure I had my seatbelt on.

"Aish, be careful," he says as he starts the ignition, "this car is expensive."

 

 

Once we reach the manor, we are greeted by Chunji and Niel. We left Changjo's house around 9:30 AM and reached in about an hour.

"Hey," greets Niel as we climb the front steps, "how're you doing?"

I look up at him and smile, "good, and you?"

"I'm fine," smiles Niel, "I meant... you know... are you hurt anywhere?"

"No, no, I'm fine."

I watch as Chunji and Changjo had immediately begin conversing. I really admired the bodyguards' closeness. It made the environment much more comfortable. They were more than co-workers- they were friends. I'd had good friendships, too, but I still didn't have that friendship/closeness that they had- the kind I longed for.

"Good." Niel pauses to follow my gaze, before saying: "Your brothers are waiting for you inside."

 

As soon as we walk inside, my brothers quickly make their way into the room. Heechul is the first- who runs up to me and pulls me into a giant bear hug.

I find myself hugging my brother back.

"Was everything safe?" asks Junsu, once Heechul had let go of me.

"Yeah, everything was fine."

I receive a warm back-hug from Seoljun.

"You look nice in blue," he says.

I smile. "Thank you."

He pinches my cheek before standing aside.

"Didn't we need to discuss what we're going to do next?" asks Niel.

"Yeah, we'll talk about that," answers Heechul, "but... have you two eaten, yet?"

He points to Changjo and I.

"No," answers Changjo, who hesitates before adding: "we haven't eaten yet."

"Neither have we," says Chunji.

"So," he adds, smiling that million-watt smile, "let's go now!"

 

Once we eat a delicious breakfast (which was surprisingly very time consuming, plus the time that we'd lost walking such great distances back and forth), we headed to the office, where Dad was waiting for us with CAP, Ricky and L.Joe.

"Oh, you guys are here!" says Dad.

I walk into the office behind my brothers and Niel, and on either side of me was Changjo and Chunji.

Despite the massive office space, it still felt rather crowded with ten other people.

"Clover, how are you?" asks Dad, smiling brightly.

"I'm fine," I reply, a little less enthusiastic.

He seems slightly taken aback, but quickly recollects himself and continues talking.

"Have you all eaten well?"

Heechul nods.

"Okay, so..."

Dad begins explaining the plan of the evening party.

"... but all we need," he says after he finishes explaining, "are the positions of Seoljun and Changjo."

"She needs a dance partner, doesn't she?" smirks L.Joe, "I know for a fact that Ricky is an excellent dancer. So, why don't we have Ricky as her partner, and Seoljun could take Ricky's position?"

"That won't be necessary," retorts Changjo, a hint of ange

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter