001

No Bodyguards, Please
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~~~ PROLOGUE ~~~

--- CLOVER'S POV ---

Sometimes I wish I knew my family. My mother tells me I have three older brothers, who ran away with my father before I was born. I've never met them. My mom was okay for a few years, but I guess over time her depression became worse and worse. I thought time always helped heal. Maybe not completely, but time always did heal. I knew my mother tried her best to raise me despite her condition. We did have a maid for while, who, along with some assistance from my mother, would teach me basics around the house. You know, the usual. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. After that, I was all on my own. The maid was good to me and my mother. But once the maid stopped coming, the responsibilty of taking care of the house solely depended on me. I knew my mother tried to help out as much as she could. Once I got a job, it was much easier for my mother to breathe. I was happy to take some of the weight off her shoulders about income, even though I knew that meant I would have lots of sleepless nights. Yeah, I used to get extremely exhausted, but I had to work to provide my mother and myself with a better life. it wasn't the happiest life, but seeing the love and thankfulness in my mother's eyes made up for everything. I always loved our little mother-daughter world. I valued it more than everything. No, we didn't really ever go out for 'spa days', or eat in fancy restaurants on the weekends, but I always made the best of it. I wouldn't give that small source of happiness for anything else in the world.

A couple days after the elections were over, and it was a little bit quieter on the busy streets of Seoul, I decided to go out into town and visit the market to pick up some food.

"Bye, Mom!" I call. "I'm going out to the market!"

"Okay," Mom replies from inside. I turn around and go back inside the house.

"Bye, Mom," I say again, much softer this time, kissing my mother on the cheek. "Don't miss me too much," I giggle.

My mom smiles. "Don't worry, I won't."

On my way out the door, I stop at the photo hanging on the wall of my grandmother, who surprisingly looked exactly like my mother, just a little happier.

I wave one last time to my mother, and after that I'm out the house. I lock the door behind me.

 

On my way to the market, I never would have seen what happened next. A strange man dressed in all black comes running toward me! He attemptes to grab me but what happens next is completely a blur. I hear sounds of punches being thrown, but I 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter