CHAPTER NINE : BEST FRIENDS

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You need money again? What album is it this time?” Sungjong scowled at his best friend Nana. “You’re an idiot you know that?”

“Yes, yes! I’m an idiot. I love him so much!” Nana squeezes his arm and was jumping up and down like a child when he hands her his card. “Saranghae! Best chingoo ever!” She kisses the card and runs towards the lineup of people buying the latest CNBlue album.

“Most paboo chingoo you mean!” Sungjong follows slowly and grumbles.

He sits in one of the benches and waits for his childhood friend to come out of the store. He tries to hide his sighs and shakes his head.  It was really no use lecturing Nana about her obsession with Jung Yonghwa.  It was talking to a wall. Like the wall in her room that was filled with posters of CNBlue.

Ever since Nana watched him in “You are Beautiful” – Jung Yonghwa was the man of her dreams.  She was a bonafide BOICE – registered and paid. She attended all the meetings, went to all the airport departures and arrivals, hung around FNC and in the musical shows that featured CNBlue.  Nana was a living breathing encyclopedia of all things Jung Yonghwa. No matter how much her mother or Sungjong talked to her about it Nana was deaf. 

“I’m not harming anybody and I’m not a stalker so what are you getting mad about?” Nana had shouted at both her mother and best friend. She broke down into tears which immediately had the desired effect on them.  Other than her obsession with the leader of CNBlue, Nana was a good girl. She was a diligent student, kept herself healthy, bright, very pretty, funny and very popular with the boys.

Any guy who thought that Nana was just a pretty face quickly changed their opinion.  She went head to head with Sungjong for top marks in their major – Bio Chemistry.  While Sungjong was on a scholarship, Nana was an only child – so her parents paid for her apartment and tuition.

It was friendship at first sight for both of them.  They lived across each other in their hometown and for a while everyone thought they were dating.  But the two had long ago decided to be just friends.  They reasoned that if they broke up they would lose each other – it was so much better to be friends forever.

Nana was Sungjong’s stand in girlfriend, his forever date and the person who was closest to him.  He loved her totally and completely.  He was also quite possessive and told Nana that she could only have suitors but not a steady date because they needed to finish school, land a good paying job and succeed in life before love comes into the picture.

Sungjong was Nana’s rock.  He was there for all her childhood difficulties – Nana absolutely hated people who judged her solely for her looks. She knew she was beautiful and could dance well but she was also intelligent and a good student. She took up Bio Chemistry mostly because that was what Sungjong was taking and she couldn’t be without him. Except for Jung Yonghwa – Sungjong was the next man of her dreams. Yonghwa was her fantasy man and Sungjong was her real man. Many girls had asked her if Sungjong was gay but Nana just laughed and told them that they would naturally think that because he was so much prettier than they were. Needless to say Nana wasn’t very popular with other girls. 

It was a testament to their friendship when Sungjong would be with her for all the CNBlue concerts in Seoul and Busan – never mind if there were only really a few male fans present during the concert.  Sungjong actually liked CNBlue’s music – they were not main stream pop. He found Yonghwa’s songs excellent and was pretty much impressed that he could write, arrange and produce almost all of CNBlue’s albums. Sungjong’s card was also always available if Nana had to buy just one more piece of CNBlue merchandise.  He might grumble and scold but in the end he spoiled Nana just as much as her parents did.

But when Jung Yonghwa posed for picture with Nana in one of the concerts – Sungjong started to feel that it was unhealthy for Nana to be so obsessed with the man. It was an innocent picture – Yonghwa stood next to her and made his usual peace sign and Nana was beaming next to him.  He smiled and thanked her and also had pictures with other BOICES. Yonghwa had turned back and told Nana that she was very pretty.  He then called the other CNBlue members and they had a group picture.  Nana was in heaven for several weeks then several months and it grated into Sunjong’s patience.

When one of Nana’s suitors – Woohyun pursued her relentlessly – Sunjong kept asking Nana to accept him.

“Jung Yonghwa doesn’t even know you exist! Why don’t you just be a good girl and try to have a relationship with a real guy even for just a little while?” Sunjong suggested to his best friend.

“Shiro!” Nana answers back. “I love Yong Oppa. I’ll meet him and we’ll fall in love and get married. Just not now because he’s at the peak of his career and I’m studying.”

“What fan fiction have you been reading?” Sungjong said sarcastically. “Jung Yonghwa is a ladies’ man. He’s been dating several idols and actresses. Not to mention his rumored current romance with Park Shin Hye. C’mon I get the adoration stuff but seriously you will never meet him.”

“Jongie – I really hate it when you’re like this.” Nana’s eyes filled with tears and she moved away from him. “You think if I have a boyfriend I’ll get over Yong Oppa? I won’t. And his relationship with Park Shin Hye isn’t confirmed.”

“There are a lot of guys who have girlfriends that love actors and idols.  Your Omma worships Rain – and your Appa just laughs. I’m sure Woohyun will let you keep your crush on Jung Yonghwa.” Sungjong tries to reason with her.

“The answer is still N-O.” She stands up and walks away. “If you’re going to be like that I’m going home now.”

“Nana!” Sungjong face palms and picks up his backpack.  “Yah! Wait for me – nappun yeoja!”

“Nappun namja!” She answers right back. “I’m not hungry I’ll just study then sleep.”

“You need to eat!” Sungjong catches up with her and glares at her.

“No I don’t- I’ll get a triangle kimbap in the convi near my apartment. I’ll be fine Omma!” Nana snaps.

They were having their usual quarrel. They’ll most probably reconcile by the time Sungjong reaches his own home and texts her.  They were like an old married couple. Except they weren’t even romantically involved with each other.

Unknown to them a pair of eyes were following them. Nam Woohyun was observing them. He knew that the way to Nana’s heart was thru Sungjong.  He really liked Nana a lot and if it meant trying to get close to her best friend Woohyun would do it. He was also very much aware that Nana was obsessed with Jung Yonghwa.  He didn’t let it bother him.  Most girls were obsessed with actors and idols. As long as it wasn’t a real guy Wooyoung felt that he just needed to make her his girlfriend first before removing her obsession with what’s his name – Yonghwa.

He was also a Bio Chem major.  He was in two of their classes.  He was steadily getting close to Sungjong – first as a part of an experiment team and now a research team. He didn’t hesitate telling Sungjong about his interest in Nana as soon as he felt that Sungjong was comfortable with him.  He was sincere and honest with his feelings and he knew that Sungjong would put in a good word for him.  So here he was – just following Nana and Sungjong.  There was no opportunity to “accidentally” bump into them as it was clear they were having their usual quarrel about Jung Yonghwa.

When Nana got on the bus – Woohyun ran and caught up with Sungjong.

“Well, any progress?” Wooyoung asks the best friend.

“Not right now – I’m angry again. I just don’t get it. I mean I understand the worship part just not the part when she actually thinks she end up marrying Jung Yonghwa.  That’s delusional. Sorry Woohyun – let’s keep trying.  Isn’t Nana part of your research team?” Sungjong looks at the other guy.

“Yes I had to give Choi about 5 movie tickets to change places but yes I hope to get closer to her. “ Woohyun replies. “I’m determined so don’t worry. Just keep helping me.”

When Nana got off the bus she wasn’t really paying attention so that when she collides with another person her mobile went flying.

“Oh no!” Nana scrambles to get to the mobile. It contained all her pictures of Yong Oppa as well as the pictures from the concert.

“I’m so sorry!” A guy’s voice was just behind her. “I was trying to avoid you but…”

“My fault – I wasn’t paying attention.”  Nana turns and answers him.

For a full 10 seconds Lee Sungyeol was speechless. The girl was beautiful. Her long brown tresses were flying in the wind – her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

“I’m sorry Miss.” He reaches for her mobile. “I hope it didn’t break.” He hands her the mobile – it had a crack on the screen.

“Oh – please, please work. “ Nana’s eyes blurred with tears.  She had all of CNBlue’s albums on the player as well as the original picture with him.

“Here let me help you.” He smiles down at the distraught girl and takes the mobile from her hand.  He tries to open the mobile - it flickered for a while then just black screened. “Uhm – it’s a bad fall, you may have to change it.”

“My music and pictures!” Nana’s tears fell.

Sungyeol found her distressed face captivating. She was like an angel – a crying angel. He had to slightly shake his head as it would be embarrassing to just stare at her.

“Are the pictures important? Family?” He asks her wanting to prolong the conversation.

“Someone I love.” She answers with a sniff. “And all his music.”

“Oh – you have boyfriend.” He tried to keep the disappointment from his voice.  Why are all the pretty girls taken? What bad luck!

“Not really – more like someone I hope to have as a boyfriend.” Nana replied. 

“Oh I see – well you can just have your pictures taken again with him.  The music is no problem – hopefully it’s downloadable.” Sungyeol hands her the mobile.

“Oh I can’t - that picture is precious.  It can’t be repeated.” Nana tries her best not to sound hopeless.  She could hear Sungjong’s voice inside her head lecturing her about being careless.

“Have you broken up? Is he in the army?” Sungyeol asks her. “Mianeyo – for the many questions except I’m really curious why you’re so distressed.”

“His name is Jung Yonghwa – he’s the leader of CNBlue – have you heard of them?” Nana was used to guys saying they didn’t know CNBlue only for her to find out that they also have CNBlue albums. Guys were just weird sometimes.

“Ah – of course I know him!” Sungyeol opens his coat and shows Nana his ID card. “I’m interning with FNC. I hope to become a telecommunications engineer.”

“Really – you work at FNC!” Nana looks at him with stars in her eyes. “I always go there with the other BOICES if the Oppas have their practice.”

“So you’re a BOICE.” Sungyeol laughs.

“Registered and all.” Nana laughs too.

“Mianeyo – I’ve been talking to you but I haven’t even introduced myself. Annyeong hasayo Lee Sungyeol imnida.”

“Annyeong hasayo Im Nana imnida.” She bows and smiles up at him. 

Sungyeol found her totally enchanting and didn’t want their conversation to end. But he knew he couldn’t invite her for coffee because they just introduced themselves. He had to think of something so that he could stay in contact with this beautiful girl.

“I’m really sorry about your mobile.  How about this – I’ll try to see if I can revive it.  I know some sunbaes in my school. I’ll show them the phone. You can take out your SIM.” He tells her.

“Thank you – but I don’t want to impose on you.” Nana was hoping Sungyeol would insist – she would do anything to restore her picture with Yong Oppa.

“No it’s alright. I insist. I collided with you.” He tells her.

“I wasn’t looking.” Nana responded. “Is it really alright?’

He nods and watches as she takes out her SIM.  She hands him the mobile and beams up at him.

“Don’t smile so much – it’s blinding!” He joked. “Besides we don’t know if it’ll still work.”

“I am hopeful.” She states. “Oh – I have to go now – my best friend will be worried.”

“Uhm – how can I contact you?” Sunyeol asks.

Nana gives him Sungjong’s number and tells him that he would just pass the message to her.

Sungyeol was again curious – the best friend’s name sounded like it was a guy’s name. He watches her walk to the convenience store up the road.  He wanted to follow her but he didn’t want her to think he was weird or something. He looks at the broken mobile and smiles. He just met his dream girl and if he played his cards right – she’d become his girlfriend.

When Nana got home she had to put her things down and knock at her neighbor’s door.

“Sungkyu Oppa! Sungkyu Oppa!” She calls out. She hoped that her neighbor who was a police detective wasn’t on a stake out.  He was one of the reasons her parents allowed her to have an apartment.  When they came to look at the apartment 2 years ago – Sungkyu was the one who showed them the unit.  His family owned the building and the tenants were mostly young women from the nearby universities but Sungkyu also lived there.   He and her Appa hit it off right away and Nana moved in soon after.  Sungkyu was a good Oppa to her and to the other girls in the apartment building.

“Yah – its 10 already why are you just coming home now? Sungkyu opens the door of his unit.

“I dropped my mobile and it cracked.  I’m having a friend fix it.  Can you lend me your mobile Oppa? Sungjong would be worried that I haven’t called.” Nana asked.

“He’s called me 4 times and asked about you. No wonder you weren’t answering your mobile. Palli call him – he’s worried.” Sungkyu hands her his mobile. 

All the tenants had an emergency contact number stored in Sungkyu’s mobile. Sungjong was listed as an emergency number for Nana aside from her parents. At first Sungkyu didn’t like Sungjong coming over at all hours of the day and on weekends but Nana’s parents had explained the situation to the detective and he was now comfortable with Nana’s best friend.

“Jongie it’s me!” Nana had to move the mobile away from her ear as it was obvious that Sungjong just screamed at her. “My phone had an accident.”

She went to explain what had happened and how the guy she met Sungyeol would contact Sungjong about the condition of the mobile.

“I hope he can save my picture with Yong Oppa!” Nana whined.

“Yah – enough now! Say goodnight to your friend. I need to sleep – I was up for 24 hours on a stake out yesterday.” Sungkyu tells her.

Nana says her goodbyes and Sungkyu waits until her door closes before closing his own door.  He took his Oppa status with the female tenants seriously.

After 3 days Sungjong and Nana went to meet with Sungyeol about the mobile.  They met at the coffee shop near Nana’s home. It couldn’t be saved.

“Mianeyo – I’m sure you’ve transferred the pictures to your computer – just buy a new phone and download the pictures. Again sorry I couldn’t be of more help to you.” Sungyeol tells Nana.

“I’m heart broken.” Nana leans her head on Sungjong’s shoulder. Sungyeol could only look at them – surprise clearly showing in his eyes.

“It isn’t what you think – we’re just good friends. Her parents trust me to look after her.” Sungjong explained. “She ac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter