CHAPTER 5 : WHEN DID I FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU?

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sunbae!” Seo exclaims.  She holds her mobile away from her and hisses. She looks at the clock it was 7 am.

“I heard that!” Lee Joon answers right back. “I need you to take Yonghwa from his shooting to Busan to celebrate his mother’s birthday and bring him back for band practice tomorrow afternoon.  What’s hard about that? Or did you think it’s too simple that you don’t want to do it?”

“That’s unfair Sunbae!” Seo was hurt by her Sunbae’s accusation. “That’s not it at all.”

“Then tell me – will you do this? Let me know now – I’d like to tell you that I can do it but I have to attend your Sunbae Taecyeon’s trial.  Hoya is with Jungshin in Jejudo for his drama, Thunder is with Minhyuk and Jonghyun for their CF in Maldives and they’re coming home tonight.” Lee Joon tells this in his calmest voice which everyone in their agency knew meant that he was really pissed off.

“But you told me I could take the day off!” Seo responds – she knew he was mad but she just had to stand her ground.

“I know that Maknae – I did give you the day off but that was before I was called in as a witness for Taecyeon’s case. Alright never mind – I’ll tell Sajangnim the situation – he can just pull someone out from assignment. Hang up now!” Lee Joon replies.

“Sunbae-“

“WHAT?”

“I’ll do it”

Silence.

“Sunbae.”

“Are you sure? You don’t like Yonghwa.” Lee Joon replies.

“He’s a client.” Seo’s voice was clipped.

“Alright then – thanks for not taking your day off. I owe you one. Don’t tell your TOP Oppa or Sajangnim about our situation.” Lee Joon tells her.

“Sunbae! I’m not like that.” Seo protests. “Tell Taecyeon Sunbae we miss him.”

“I’ll text you the directions of the location shooting then Yonghwa can just tell you where he lives in Busan.” Lee Joon says. “Okay I have to go now – I see Taecyon’s car pulling up the driveway.  Take care of Yonghwa – just carry one Taser and a small hand gun if you want.”

“Deh!” Joohyun ends the conversation.

Looking at her kitchen clock – Seo bites her lower lip, she really needed to hurry. She barely had her morning smoothie and she hops into the shower. Her hair was dripping when she packs her clothes – for just a fraction of a second she considers putting on denims and a nice blouse but she quickly shakes her head.  She puts on her favorite track suit – black with pink stripes on the side, her Dara Unnie’s birthday gift. Checking her watch, she mentally calculates the time it would take her to fetch her client.  She was smiling as she hurries to close her small apartment.

“Seo!” The lady on the street calls out. “Going out of town?”

“Deh!” Seo bows to the lady.  Seo was well liked in the neighborhood – they all knew what she was and all her neighbors were constantly bugging her about having a boyfriend and getting married soon.

“Enjoy yourself goodness knows you work too hard!” The lady waves her off.

Seo guns her black Jeep 4X4.  She loves it – one of the times she was thankful that her Samchon had invested enough of her parent’s insurance money so that she could live in relative comfort. Not that Seo loved luxuries – she was careful with her money.

In 30 minutes she was in the vicinity of Yonghwa’s shooting. Traffic was light so she didn’t need to rush. When Seo gets out of the car she looks around for any familiar face and couldn’t find any. Being inherently shy, Seo waits until she could catch the attention of one of female PDs.  Bowing respectfully Seo asks where she could find Yonghwa.

“Ah- they still have one action scene to film – nogoo saeyo?” The woman looks at Seo.

“Ah- mianeyo - I am Seo Joohyun – I am here to him to his next schedule.” Seo smiles at the PD.

“So – it’s true that CNBlue’s security has tightened – you are a body guard?” The PD asks. Seo nods her head. “Well, you’re the prettiest bodyguard I ever saw!” Just then the Director passes by.

“Sunbae!” The woman takes Seo’s hand and they walk towards the Director. “You’ll never believe this – but this is Yong’s bodyguard.”

“Mwo?” The director looks at Seo then looks at the PD. “Chongmal?”

“Yeh – she is. Isn’t she pretty?” The PD beams at Seo whose face turns delicately pink and shakes her head.

“Wah – Yong is going to be happy. I thought his bodyguard was a man. Lucky bastard!” The director laughs. “Well, Miss Bodyguard - you’ll have to wait a bit – we have one last scene to run then he’s all yours.”  The Director winks and the PD slaps his arm, Seo looks away clearly embarrassed.

“Come on you can watch.” The PD tells Joo. “It’s a bit dangerous but Yong doesn’t want any stunt double – it’s a battle we wage with him every time there’s a stunt scene.”

Seo watches as 3 motorcycles come up from the hill – it was chase scene.  It was high speed and the lead character was supposed to lose control of his bike because one of the bad guys shoots the rear wheel. Yonghwa was supposed to take a spill and roll down the hill. So far they had repeated the scene 2 times.

Being familiar with dirt bikes Seo watches the scene closely – she holds her breath when the shot is fired and Yonghwa loses control of the bike. When his body lands on the ground Seo had to close her eyes briefly – recalling all the times she herself spilled from a bike.

“He’s going to be black and blue.” She whispers to herself.

“If that boy NGs himself on more time I’ll get mad at him.” The Director looks at camera men. “Make sure you get everything.”

The scene ends and everyone watches as Yonghwa picks himself up from the bottom of the hill.

“You alright?” The stuntmen go down and pick up the bike.

Yonghwa removes his head gear and nods. There was a nasty bruise on his forehead and the sleeve of his jacket was ripped. He was also limping a bit. “Was that alright Sunbae?”

“Ah, brat! It was alright the second time but you had to re-do it again!” The stunt man claps Yonghwa’s shoulder. “Hard headed that’s what you are!”

“Alright everyone that’s a wrap for this episode. Good job!” The director shakes Yonghwa’s hand.

Seo could see that Yonghwa was very tired.  The filming started at 10 last night and it was now 8 AM.  When he finally notices her – he frowns.

“Where is Lee Joon?” His tone was clipped.

“Mianehyo – Sunbae was called away.  I will be the one to you to Busan.” Seo bows to him.

“Why aren’t you in uniform?” He asks her.  His eyes take in the tight black suit that only emphasized how slim she was, her hair was down and her cheeks were pink. He found himself liking what he saw.

“It’s my day off but I told Sunbae that I would take you to Busan and take you back tomorrow.”  Seo said calmly not really sure why Yonghwa was irritated with her.

“Ah right – you asked for a day off.” Yonghwa walks towards his trailer and Seo follows him – keeping a respectful distance. He stops abruptly and looks back at her. “I’m just tired but I don’t bite.”

Seo nods her head. He goes inside his trailer but she doesn’t follow him. Seo was wondering why he was alone.  There were no PD noona or make up noona neither was there a manager.  After 20 minutes Yonghwa comes out of the trailer. He had a band aid on his forehead and was also wearing a track suit – he was having difficulty in walking but Seo resisted the urge to ask him about it.

“Even if you don’t ask - I’m fine thank you.” He glances at her. “My foot just hit the bike as I was letting go – no big deal.” He watches as color suffuses her face – he felt good that she got flustered.

“Why are you alone?” She asks him.

“It was an all-night shooting – the noonas were already tired so I told our manager to bring them home – only the trailer driver is here besides I thought that Lee Joon would be here to take me to Busan.” He picks up his gear and looks at her. “Where are you parked?”

Seo leads the way – they walk in silence. She felt very awkward around Yonghwa – something she never felt with any client.

“Yah – Yonghwa you lucky boy! If I had a bodyguard like that I’d be in heaven!” The director calls out to them as he was driving away. Yonghwa just waves.

When they reach the Jeep, Seo opens that rear and let’s Yonghwa put his gear. She opens the front passenger door and watches as Yonghwa takes the back seat.  He buckles his seatbelt and looks at her. “I plan to sleep until we reach Busan.  You do know how to get there don’t you?”

Seo nods as she closes the front door. Starting up the car she glances at him and says, “I just need to make a quick stop over and we’ll be on our way. Is that alright with you?”

“Is that alright with you Yonghwa-shi - can you call me that? You never address me. Jonghyun-shi, Jungshin-shi, Minhyuk-shi but never Yonghwa-shi.” He looks at her thru the mirror.

Seo had to bite her lower lip and count to five, she had to have patience as her client was tired. “Mianeyo Yonghwa-shi – can I make a quick stop over before we go to Busan?”

“Of course you can Seo” Yonghwa smiles at her – he likes the sound of her name on his lips. Seo.

She busies herself starting the car not even trying to analyze why she felt her face grow warm when he said her name.  He just rubbed her the wrong way that’s all.

Yonghwa woke up to Seo parking the Jeep.  He watches her get out of the vehicle and cross the street to an office.  His foot was aching not to mention a lot of other parts in his body were aching. He hopes that sleeping for 5 hours on the way to Busan would restore him so that his mother wouldn’t nag him about taking better care of himself. He feels the car move and he almost jumps out of his seat. He was looking in to the palest blue eyes he’d ever scene. The dog was on its hind legs and looking at him.

“Dubu! Baby don’t scare him!” Seo holds the dog’s collar. “Down!”

He watches as Seo opens the passenger door. The dog leaps and sits beside Yonghwa.  Man and dog eye each other. Dubu is a Siberian husky with pale blue eyes and a crème fur.

“Yah you honestly don’t think that I can sit next to this huge dog of yours! We’re dropping it off somewhere right?”

“Her – Dubu is a female. And no there isn’t anyone to leave her with. That’s why I asked for a day off. My Uncle is in Japan with TOP Oppa and Dara Unnie is Thailand with her dancers. None of the people in the agency can take her overnight – Tiffany is scared of dogs and Myungsoo is still not fully healed. So yes, she has to stay with me. Don’t worry she’s really only still a baby – just 2 years old. She’s gentle.” Seo replies.

“Do you realize that this is probably the longest time you’ve ever spoken to me?” Yonghwa asks her.

Seo sighs and looks at him with a serious face. “Will it be alright with you if we take her? If not let me know.”

“If I say that it’s not okay what will you do?” Yonghwa asks her.  He wasn’t being mean it was just that he realizes that he likes seeing her flustered. The serious pale face would turn pink and she would unconsciously bite her lower lip. Made her human. And very pretty.

“Then I would have no choice but to leave her at home. Lock her up and hope that she doesn’t bark and howl all night. She dislikes being alone. All my neighbors are scared of her.” Seo answers him.

“Why would you have a dog like that if you can’t take care of it?” He persisted.

“But I can take care of her. So are you willing to take her or not?” She turns and faces him – her face was serious and Yonghwa suddenly felt that she would be hurt if he continued teasing her.

“Alright but can’t she stay in front? I would really like to sleep.” He tells him.

“She won’t be a bother – I promise. She’ll behave.” Seo starts the car. “Dubu be a good girl.”

There was a soft bark and a yawn as the dog settles down on the backseat.

“Kamsahamnida for letting me take her.” She said it without even glancing at the rear view mirror.

Yonghwa didn’t answer but instead he closes his eyes. He was really dead tired and his foot was killing him. It seemed like he just barely closed his eyes when he felt the vehicle come to a stop.

“Why are we stopping? We’ll be late.” He sits up and looks at Seo.

“Dubu needs to stretch for a bit.  We’ve been going for 3 hours already.” Seo looks at him. “Please just stay in the car we’ll be back shortly.” She had a leash in her hand and put it on the dog. “Dubu, kaja!”

Yonghwa looks at them walking away.  He notices that the dog almost reaches up to her waist, it was large and powerfully built. It walked calmly next to its owner oblivious of the people who stopped and stared. He also took note of the short leash. He had to admit that he found the ice blue eyes unnerving.

When they returned Seo was holding a bag.  After securing the dog she walks around and opens his side.

“Here – I bought you medicine. Your body must be aching – drink this medicinal herb smoothie – it’ll help with the muscle aches. Also can you lie back a bit?” She asks him.

“Weh? Lie down a bit?” Yonghwa asks.

“Yes – I need to see your foot – you’ve been groaning in your sleep.  It must hurt – let’s put this herbal patch on it – if you don’t you won’t be able to put any pressure on it tomorrow.”  She reaches down and holds his foot tenderly.

Yonghwa stares at the crown of her head – the sunlight glinted on the chestnut colored wavy hair – she was near enough for him to smell the scent of flowers. His head snaps back.

“It must be painful – just be patient, I’m putting the patch as best as I can.” She glances up at him then looks down quickly at the patch she was trying to put on his foot.

Yonghwa had to stare again at the porcelain skin and the light blush on her cheeks, her eyes were framed by long lashes and the lips were pink.  She didn’t have a trace of make up on her face. At that brief moment when she looks up at him Yonghwa had to admit that the noonas were right – quiet, unassuming, unsmiling Seo was a lovely girl.

“There – just wait a bit when the medicine goes into your skin you’ll feel relief.” Her smile was brief and he didn’t even have a chance to respond. She straightens up and quickly closes the car door. He just looks at her – walking around to the driver’s side and starting the car. “Just a little bit more be patient.”

“I know” Yonghwa answers.

“I was talking to Dubu.”  Seo responds.

“Where did you get it?” Yonghwa asks as he looks at the dog. Dubu looks right back at him and yawns.

“Her – I got her from a former client. A Japanese businessman who was a client of ours. He wanted to go back to Japan but didn’t want to take Dubu – she was just a puppy then.”Seo tells him.

“Oh – a token of his love.” Yonghwa said playfully.

“Aniyo – he was going to have Dubu put down because she accidentally bit his son.” Seo tried to keep any emotion from her voice.

 She was trying not to remember the little puppy’s piteous cries and the teenage boy laughing as he was sinking his pocket knife in the puppy’s hind leg.  Seo had grabbed the boy’s jacket and pushed him against the wall. Hoya had scooped up the bloody puppy and rushed her to the vet. In the end their client believed his son’s story – that Dubu bit him and he was only defending himself so he knifed the 5 month old puppy. Her Samchon had stepped in and told the client that they wouldn’t report the fact that the man’s son was high on drugs when he did that to Dubu in exchange he would take Dubu back with them to Korea. They had withdrawn their security services then. Dubu was already 2 years old but she still walked with a slight limp because of that knife wound.

Yonghwa sensed there was a story behind her statement but he didn’t want to ask anymore as he had glimpsed the look of pain in her eyes. Just then he felt something land on his lap. He looks down and sees Dubu’s head.  The ice blue eyes look back at him.

“Dubu – no go back to your place!” Seo exclaims. “I’m so sorry – she usually well behaved.”

At the sound of Seo’s voice the dog sits up and moves back nearer to the window.

“It’s fine.” Yonghwa looks at his lap.

“We only have an hour to go - you should sleep some more.”

“Are you talking to me or the dog?” Yonghwa asks. His eyes were alight with mischief – he was feeling better so he wanted to .

Her nose flares as she takes a short breath. “To you of course Yonghwa-shi.”

When they approach Busan, Yonghwa gives directions to Seo on how to get to his house.  His parents live in a condo fronting the beach. As he was getting down from the Jeep, Yonghwa asks her if she wanted to eat.

“I can manage – don’t worry about me.” Seo tells him.

“Do you want to come up?” Yonghwa asks her.

“I don’t want to impose on your family time and besides I can’t leave Dubu alone.” Seo replies. She follows it up with a small smile.

“My family is used to dogs. C’mon up – I’ll introduce you – although my parents thought that I was bringing Lee Joon. I insist – come up and meet my parents. Bring your dog.” Yonghwa said. For some reason the thought of her being alone in Busan with just her dog did not sit right with him.

Seo did not want to argue.  Truth to tell she was tired from driving and wanted to stretch. Dubu would probably want water. “Kamsahamnida for inviting us.” She gets out of the car and once again fixes the short leash on her dog.

They ride the elevator in silence.  Yonghwa was naturally talkative and easy going – that’s why he was so popular with the ladies but somehow with Seo he couldn’t begin a conversation. He found her reserved and cold but only to him which was what perplexed him the most. For Seo, riding up the elevator in silence was comfortable to her. Inside, she was glad that they had no words – it was proof to her that she really did not dislike Yonghwa as much was as she thought she did.

“We’re here.” Yonghwa announced. Seo looks up and gives him a brief smile. She tightens her hold on Dubu’s leash and steps out of the elevator.

As soon Yonghwa keys in the password the door is flung open and he is immediately enveloped in a hug. Seo and Dubu stand back.

“Ah my baby is home! My Yongie!” His mother kisses his cheeks repeatedly and Yonghwa laughs as he lifts her up.

“Omma – my face will be gone!” He laughs as he tries to dodge his mother’s kisses.

“I miss you!” His mother exclaims and embraces him again. She notices his bruised forehead and she fusses over him again telling him that he never takes care of himself. Then she realizes that Yonghwa was with somebody. “Yongie you have a guest?”

“Ani – she’s not a guest she’s my bodyguard.” He puts his mother down and turns her to face Seo.

“Mian – but I thought you said your bodyguard was a man.” His mother eyes Seo from head to foot and gasps when she sees Dubu.

“Annyeong hasayo, Seo Joohyun imnida. I apologize – my superior had to attend to another matter so I had to take your son instead.”    Seo bows and Dubu does as well eliciting an amused gasp from both Yonghwa and his mother.

“Oh – you’re so clever. What’s your name?” Yonghwa mother gets to Dubu’s level.

“Careful Omma” Yonghwa stands next to his mother. “It doesn’t know us.”

“Her name is Dubu, Madame.  She’s almost 2 years old and is a Siberian Husky. She’s very well behaved around people. Sit Dubu and say hello.” The dog obeys and lifts up a paw – Yonghwa’s mother laughs as she shakes the paw and gently pats the dog’s head.

“Ah- where are our manners – come in.” Yonghwa’s mother tells Seo.

“Thank you but I don’ think we should – you’re having a party we didn’t mean to intrude.” Seo’s face was suffused with a delicate shade of pink. “We’ll just be on our way. I’ll come back tomorrow afternoon to pick up your son.”

“At least have something to eat before you go – and I’m sure your dog is thirsty.” Yonghwa’s mother dismisses Seo’s excuses and taking her elbow pulls her inside.

Yonghwa had to laugh and shake his head. He had never seen Seo this animated. He realizes that she was more at ease with women then with men – the thought pleases him and he didn’t want to analyze why it did.

“Let’s just sit here in the dining area. Both of you must be hungry. Yong – there’s a metal dish under the sink – clean it put and put some water for Dubu.” His mother instructs him as she busies herself getting food.

“But-“Seo stammers.

“Rule number one in this house – if you want to live in peace you have to follow Omma.” Yonghwa stands up and does what his mother told him to do. Taking a bottle of water from the refrigerator he pours half the contents on the metal disk and puts in front of Dubu. The dog looks at Seo first and when she nods her approval Dubu starts lapping on the water – she finishes the water in no time.

“She must really be thirsty.” Yonghwa was on his knees watching Dubu drink.  When the dish was empty, the dog reaches and puts its paw on Yonghwa’s knee.

“That means she wants more.” Seo tells him.

“Alright – more water for Dubu.” Yonghwa pours the entire contents of the water into the dish. The dog finishes half and with her nose pushes the dish closer to Yonghwa.

“That means she’s had enough.” Seo said. “I’ll take the dish –“

“No just sit down I’ll do it.” Yonghwa tells her.

“I’ll be serving the food now – Yonghwa show her the bathroom so she can freshen up before eating.” Yonghwa’s mother calls out from the kitchen.

“You heard the queen –“Yonghwa puts the dish by the wall and stands beside Seo. “I’ll show you the bathroom.”

“Can I take Dubu with me?” Seo asks her hand unconsciously tightening on the lease.

“I’ll take the leash and we’ll wait for you – how’s that?” Yonghwa tells her. “Don’t argue – Omma will hear.”

Seo sighs and stands up to follow him.  He leads to her to bedroom which Seo knows instinctively as his bedroom. She stops at the doorway clearly hesitant to go in.

“This is your bedroom – I can just use the one outside.” She says.

“That’s too small.  My bathroom is larger. Towels are just right next to the wash basin.” He pushes her inside and takes Dubu’s leash. “We’ll just be here. “ He sits on bed holding Dubu’s leash. As the bathroom door closes Dubu lets out a soft whine.

“Dubu-yah, your Omma is just washing up – just wait a bit- she’ll be back.” He leans and pats Dubu’s head. “Here, put your head on my lap – it’s alright.” The dog looks at him and then puts her head on his lap.

Seo watches them before silently closing the door. Dubu didn’t usually take to strangers at once.  She was shy and it took her sometime to get used to other people. But she was also playful and liked to play rough with Chandoong and Hoya Sunbae.

Seo looks at the bathroom and gasps. It was state of the art like everything else in the condominium. It was immaculate – like a show model.  All the hairbrushes and cosmetics were in place. She looks closely and finds that they were all from brands that he had endorsed.

Seo sighs as she looks at herself in the mirror.  She looked frightful.  Her hair had air dried so it was in unruly waves. There were brushes and combs but she just made do with her hands – wetting them then threading them thru her scalp and hair. She was glad she was able to find a hair tie in one of her track suit’s pockets. Pulling her hair in a tight ponytail, she felt like herself again when she looks at the mirror.  She washes her hands with soap but her face with just water and gets the smallest face towel to dry her face and hands with.  She then proceeds to try and restore the bathroom to its showcase look – with a paper towel she wipes the sink and even gets down on her knees to check if there were stray hairs on floor.

Stepping out of the bathroom she finds Yonghwa dozing on the bed with Dubu on the floor.  The dog gets up to greet her. “I must have taken too long – mian my baby.” Seo leans down and kisses the dog’s head. “Ah, our client is so tired – he’s resting – let’s go outside and say goodbye.”

“I’m just resting my eyes – you can’t leave without eating, Omma will get mad at me – and you’re supposed to call me Yonghwa-shi not client.” Yonghwa sits up on the bed and eyes her. Still holding her gaze he gets up from the bed and stands in front of her. “Yonghwa-shi – don’t forget that ever.”

Seo just looks up at him and nods. She’s never backed down from any one intimidating her but this guy really had the ability to make her nervous.  She steps back and puts space between them.

“You’ve lost your tongue again.” He smirks. “Dubu – kaja! Seo and I will eat now.” He takes the leash from her and leaves the room with Dubu.  Seo shakes her head in annoyance.

“Ah – there you are. Good! Now eat up. It’s just a simple meal – all the other food will be for tonight.” Yonghwa’s Omma sits down in front of them.

“Are you not eating Madame?” Seo asks.

“I’ve already eaten with his Appa.  My husband eats at home every day then goes back to work. Eat a lot!” Yonghwa’s Omma pushes the food closer to Seo.

Yonghwa looks at his mother’s face and knew just what was coming. The interrogation. His parents had never met any of his girlfriends – celebrity or otherwise – except for Shin Hye. He was in and out of relationships so fast he just didn’t bother – with Shin Hye he had felt different but it had ended with a breakup which upset his mother a lot.

“Omma-“He warns her.

“So what do I call you? Seo Joohyun?” His mother looks at Seo clearly ignoring her son’s warning.

“Seo, Madame – please call me Seo.”

“Hmm – that sounds a lot like a man’s name. How about I call you Hyun? That’s more feminine.” Yonghwa’s mother smiles.

“Omma-“Yonghwa repeats.

“That would be fine Madame.” Seo smiles and looks down at her bowl of rice.

“Now eat up – my son is giving me dagger looks. “ His mother smiles at Seo and then frowns at her son.

Seo tries her best to eat.  There was a lump on that she valiantly tries to swallow.  Hyun was her parents name for her.  Hearing it from an older woman about the same age as her mother would have been was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter