CHAPTER 35 : THE CHOICE (Part 3)

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Yong ...Yongie….wake up.” His mother shakes him gently. Since he was a child he always had to be woken up slowly or else he would be grumpy. She was quite surprised when he immediately sits up.

“Uhm...Seonah?” He asks his mother.

“She’s in the bathroom. She looks so much better today.  I wanted to wake you up so you both can have breakfast before the doctors come.”

Seo had just finished drying her face when Yonghwa comes inside the bathroom. “Oh you’re up.”

He just embraces her and kisses her temple.  “Want to sleep some more.” He puts his face on the the crook of her neck.

“Mian - Ommonim said we have to eat already. Here wash your face.”  Seo was very sure that he had a duck pout on his face so she gives him a kiss on his neck - his body was warm and his arms were tight around her.  

She sits on the commode while he washes up and offers her towel for him to dry his face.  She takes the face spray and softly tells him to close his eyes. Her fingers gently pat his face.

“There.  Feel better?” She asks.

“Uhm.” He bends to kiss her. “Better.”

When they come out of the bathroom the breakfast trays were already there. She looks at the food tray and Seo sighs again. It looked as unappetizing as the other trays.

“The food looks okay sweetheart - just eat a bit.” Yonghwa starts to eat the rice porridge and the egg.

“I’ll just eat the egg.”

“No- you need to eat the porridge as well. I insist.”

Seo pouts even as she spoons the rice porridge - it tasted off to her.  “No - no more.” Her eyes watered after she had 4 spoonfuls. She felt like she was going to throw up.

“Don’t force it.” Yonghwa’s mother gently rubs Seo’s back. “Just the egg then.”

Seo finishes the egg and the milk even as Yonghwa kept silent.  He wouldn’t really force her to eat because his mother would pinch him if he even attempted to boss Seo around.

“Hyunnie - Abeonim has a surprise for you.” Her future father in law was all smiles when he enters the suite.

Seo’s eyes sparkled and she holds her hands. “Goguma!”

“Yes - your favorite.”

“Abeonim where did you find this?”

“Would you believe the convenience store across the hospital?  The lady there said that the medical staff always bought goguma on their breaks.”

“ Finish only 1 - you might -” Yonghwa cautions.

“2 please Oppa? I’m so hungry.” Seo replies as her fingers were already busy opening 1 goguma.

“Hyunnie why don’t you have a bite of the goguma for every spoonful of the porridge that way my son’s face won’t be a thundercloud.”

“Deh Ommonim.”

Seo smiles as she shows Yonghwa the empty bowl of porridge. He shakes his head and had to just return her smile since his mother was glaring at him.

“Learn.”  His father taps Yonghwa’s back. “It’s 9 months of that.”

The 2 lady doctors, So Ji Sub and 2 residents arrive shortly after.

“Well I’m glad we moved you the biggest suite.” Dr. Chae smiles at Seo.  “How are you feeling?”

“Much better Dr. Chae - no bleeding, no cramping.”

“That’s good - keep that up and we may let you return to Seoul earlier.” Dr. Chae replies. “Maybe in 3 days then of course Dr. Mi-ran will confine you for a week as a precaution until the series of injections are finished.”

“Then it’s bed rest for you until you’re 8 weeks then we’ll have a fetal Doppler. Sounds like a plan?” Dr. Mi-ran smiles at Seo. “No office, no dog - no exceptions.”

“Algae sumnida.” Seo replies. She blinks back the sudden tears in her eyes. She would miss her baby dog - Dubu lessened the loneliness she felt when Yonghwa was out of the country.

“Oh- why?” Dr. Chae looks at Seo’s face.

“She’ll just miss our dog Dr. Chae - our Dubu is a big husky but she’s our baby.” Yonghwa replies.

“You can visit Dubu in my house.” So Ji Sub replies. “I promise not to let Ahjumma feed her food scraps.”

“Resident Yan - please administer the injection. Today you’ll start taking the prenatal vitamins and folic acid orally - this IV will be your last one.  Now the injections may be a bit painful but I know you will bear with it because you’re a very brave young woman Seo Joohyun. Dr. Mi-ran and your Samchon told me all about you last night over dinner.”

“I’m not that brave…..” Seo gently taps her warm cheeks with her palms. “I’m sure Samchon …”

“He didn’t exaggerate.” Yonghwa quips. “I’m a lucky guy.”

“Yes you are.” Both lady doctors chorus before laughing.

“Well I need to do rounds and Dr. Mi-ran has a flight to catch.” Dr. Chae tells them. “Also you have visitors waiting outside as well. I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

“I’ll see you in Seoul, Hyunnie. President So has kindly agreed to drive me to the airport.” Dr. Mi-ran tells Seo. “ Guardians be sure to inform my office a day before she arrives so we can have a suite ready for her. Remember, straight to the hospital.”

“Deh, kamsahamnida Dr. Mi-ran.” Yonghwa replies.

“Next batch.” Yonghwa father playfully calls out.

“Seonah! We’re here until after lunch then we go home - because Manager Hyung said so.” Jungshin said in a mournful tone. He sits on the chair nearest to Seo and puts his head on the bed.

“Gomawo for coming Shin-nee even for a short time - you can visit me again in Seoul.” Seo gently pats his head.

“Seonah! I downloaded the tracks of the mini-album. Listen to it and let me know what you think.” Minhyuk puts the headphones over Seo’s head.

“Yah - you’re crowding her.” Jonghyun tells the 2 Maknaes

The Maknaes turn to him and frown then go back to talking to Seo.

“They’re very fond of Hyunnie aren’t they?”  

“Deh Aboji that’s why Hyung gets jealous of them.” Jonghyun replies even as he moves away from Yonghwa. He had to be careful that he didn’t get a swift tap on his behind for saying this.

“They bother her.” Yonghwa replies as his hand catches Jonghyun’s belt loop - a swift tap on Jonghyun’s behind makes their lead guitarist giggle. “You always point that out Jongie.”

“ It doesn’t look like it. She looks like she enjoys their company.” His mother remarks as they watch Seo talking animatedly with the 2 maknaes. “You’re just a jealous man.”

“Hyung did you talk to President Han? Bruce Hyung was talking to the Directress for a long time early this morning.  I think they were wondering why all 3 of us are not posting on social media today.” Jonghyun leans on Yonghwa.” Just like you.”

“Ah  before I forget - who paid for the plane tickets? I’ll pay for them.” Yonghwa asks him.

“Ani no need - we bought the tickets with our own money and chipped in for Bruce Hyung’s ticket  and the rental car. Same with the hotel. So FNC can’t say anything - all 3 of us didn’t have any schedule  today so we decided to spend it with Seonah.”

“Kamsahamnida Jongie - you know it’s going to be rough for a while don’t you?  When I announce that Seonah and I are getting married.”

“Is that why Seonah went here Hyung?” Jonghyun asks.

“Something like that - you know how conscious she is of the fans’ comments. Our Seonah has faced knifes, guns, fists and poison but she folds when it comes to the fans.” Yonghwa sighs. “She gets hurt by the comments and she doesn’t even say anything to me.”

“Adeul - it’s because Seonah loves you. She’s also a naturally shy and cautious person - that’s her personality.” His mother taps his arm. “ She suits you well.”

“Deh Hyung - Sister in law is the only match for you.” Jonghyun nods his head in agreement. “Just tell her we’ll handle it - all she needs to think about is the baby.”

Their Manager comes in and after greeting the parents hurries to Yonghwa.

“Yongie - you need to talk to President Han as soon as possible. There’s a rumor going around that you’re leaving FNC since you didn’t come back with the other members.”

Jongie just pats Yonghwa’s back. It was already starting.

“Seonah - I’ll step outside for a bit. Yah - Lee Jungshin - do you really need to lean your head on the bed? Move so I can kiss Seonah.”

“Oppa, you’re going to talk to President Han?” Seo asks when he kisses the top of her head.

“Uhm - I’ll be right  back.”

When he leaves the room with their Manager they become quiet. Then Minhyuk looks at Seo. “Everything will be fine Seonah. Don’t think about it - let Hyung handle everything - you just take care of the little one inside you. Arasso? Don’t worry. We are here for you. Promise.”

Seo looks at the 3 members of CNBlue - they were very dear to her not just because of her Oppa but because they were considered family as well. Seeing their worried eyes Seo nods her head. “I promise not to worry.”

“Good.” They chorus.

“Too much.”

“Ey!” They chorus again.

“Okay just a bit.”

“Alright just a bit.” Jonghyun concedes.

Outside Yonghwa and Bruce go to the farthest corner of the wing - near the windows. His conversation was terse. Yonghwa didn’t want any objections from his agency.

“I’m not asking permission - I’m telling you. It’s not like we can hide her pregnancy and for that matter I don’t want to hide it. I’m almost 35 years old! I am of age to get married - my parents and Seo’s Uncle have agreed - so as soon as Seo is well - what - no - she’s just - she’ll be back in Seoul after a week - if you’re going to upset her then you need not visit - don’t try to change her mind or my mind - especially Seonah’s mind about getting married - I won’t stay still - what? I know the speculations - alright don’t release any explanation - deh I’ll be there in FNC in 2 days - deh you can call or text me - deh I promise to respond.”

When the call ends Yonghwa looks at Bruce. “Why is it always so difficult to talk to them?”

“They’re just worried Yong.” Bruce replies. “Now after lunch I’ll take the 3 and go to the airport. The Directress said that Manager Kim is coming to get you - he’ll have a plane ticket for you.”

When they go back to the suite, Seo immediately looks at Yonghwa’s face - the pink tinge on his cheeks  meant that he was upset.

“They gave you a  hard time again?” Jonghyun looks at Yonghwa

“Just the usual.” Yonghwa quips nonchalantly because he could see the worried look in Seo’s eyes.

To divert her attention - Yonghwa sits on the bed, taking her hand  - he starts discussing the tracks on Minhyuk’s mini album. It was going to be co-produced by Minhyuk and Jungshin. Yonghwa and Jonghyun composed and arranged one song each for the album.  

Seo just leans on Yonghwa and listens as CNBlue discuss the songs. It was pleasant being snuggled against his arm and listening to his voice.

“What’s your favorite Seonah?”

“Oh - I like the Korean version of Moontalk - sweet and  fun.” Seo smiles at Minhyuk. “But next time also include On The Cheek.”

“Alright next time.” Minhyuk nods his heads. “For you Seonah. Ah - Sister in Law.”

There was a discreet knock on the door and the female orderly comes and bring in 2 trays.

“Kamsahamnida.” Yonghwa said.  All 4 members smile at the female orderly who blushed profusely.

Seo looks at the food tray then looks at Jonghyun, Minhyuk and Jungshin.  All 3 had the same expression as her.

Totally unappetizing.

“I know - right?” Seo sighs.

“Eat.” Yonghwa puts the chopsticks in her hand. “Why don’t you all go out to eat with Omma and Appa?”  Then he looks at Seo again. “So this person will eat.”

“Ah alright Hyung.” Jonghyun replies.  He ushers his 2 dongsaengs, their manager and Yonghwa’s parents out of the suite.  His Hyung had that steely look in his eyes and that meant he was determined to make Seo eat the unappetizing hospital food.

Seo’s face was rebellious when she puts the red rice in .  The seolleongtang didn’t looked okay - it wasn’t hot anymore - more like lukewarm.

“Eat.”

“The soup isn’t even hot.”

“Well they also deliver to a lot of patients.”

“But we are in a suite - we’re usually first -”

“Seonah -”

“Deh- I will eat. Don’t look at me like that!”

They eat in companionable silence - Seo tries to finish her food but still couldn’t . Her baby’s father had a frown on his face but didn’t say anything as he finishes his own food tray.

“Oppa -”

“I know - you’re trying -”

“I was going to say that when we go home I’ll make seolleongtang for you and you tell me the difference.”

“Sweetheart of course I know you can cook seolleongtang better than this but you have to eat this hospital food. For me.”

Eyes flash at him - Seo finishes some more the rice and  the chicken. She pushes the tray away and crosses her arms. “Done.”

“Alright - done.” He replies and didn’t comment any further. Yonghwa didn’t want any conflicts with his Seonah. “Bathroom?”

He was just helping her back to bed when CNBlue, their manager, his parents and So Ji Sub enter the suite.

“Oh, Hyunnie - going to sleep?” Yonghwa’s mother asks.

Seo shakes her head. Truth to tell she wanted a goguma but was just too shy to say so.

“Didn’t finish your food?” Yonghwa’s father asks.

“ Uhm - I did not. I told Oppa I will make the same dish for him when we get home then he can tell me the difference.” Seo replies softly - she was resisting the urge to yawn as she said this.

“Arasso - arasso.” The older man laughs and taps his son’s arm. “She cooks seolleongtang very well. Your Omma taught her your halmoni’s recipe.

“Seonah - we’ll visit you again in Seoul alright?” Jonghyun tells Seo. “Come back safe.”

CNBlue and their manager take their leave promising to get in touch with the couple as soon as they got back to Seoul.

“Well - Yonghwa - how are we going to take her back to Seoul? I prefer by airplane so she doesn’t get too tired.” So Ji Sub asks.

“Of course Sir - I think so as well - I’ll be leaving in 2 days so Omma and Appa will accompany her back in Seoul.  I’ll be at the airport to take her directly to the hospital. I’ll adjust my schedule for that. Seonah -”

They all turn to see that Seo was asleep. Yonghwa pulls the blanket up and leans to kiss her temple. “We can tell her later.” He smiles at his parents and her Uncle.

“Adeul - don't get too upset if she doesn’t finish her food.” His mother tells Yonghwa. “I know you’re worried but it’s normal that she’s choosy about food. We don’t know about the smells yet but she’ll get there. For some women it’s only for the 1st trimester for some much longer.”

“Alright I’ll try not to get too upset.  It’s just that I don’t want her and the baby to get hungry.” Said the first time father.

His parents just look at each other and shake their heads. It looks like the couple will be having many discussions about Seo being suddenly picky with food.

“Ah but how about your car Sir if you will take Hyunnie to Seoul by plane?” So Ji Sub looks at Yonghwa’s father.

“Not to worry - my fishing buddy will come with his son and they’ll take my car back to Busan.”

“Ah - Hyunnie’s Jeep - it’s in the parking lot as well.  TOP, Dara and Thunder are coming to see Hyunnie. They’ll go to the farm house to get her things and drive the Jeep back to Seoul.”

“Seonah will be surprised to see them.” Yonghwa sits on the bed and holds Seo’s hand. “I’ll take their scolding in her place, Sir.”

“No need - no one can scold my niece when Dara is around.” So Ji Sub chuckles.

When Seo wakes up the suite was silent.  Yonghwa was sleeping on the single bed. She was just about to stand up to go the bathroom when Dr. Woohee comes to administer the shot and take out the IV.

“Ah he must be so tired.” She glances at Yonghwa.

“Deh he is.” Seo replies. “He hasn’t recovered from his overseas trip.”

“Chukahae. I hope you’ll both live happily ever after.” She holds Seo’s hand. “I’m a fan - a registered fan - that’s why I was so shocked when I saw him the first time.  You looked familiar when I first saw you. Your photos don’t do you justice - you’re way prettier in person.”

They look at each other then Seo’s starts to blush making Woohee giggle softly. The resident smiles and pats Seo’s hand.

“Now I have to go - but sincerely - I wish you both happiness. I know you’ll hear many unflattering remarks when this breaks out but not all of us think this way - many of us were with CNBlue from the beginning - just bear with us - we’ll get over it - especially those who have him for a bias - like me.”  Woohee’s cheeks turn warm as she squeezes Seo’s hand. “Just love him - Unnie. I know first hand that he loves you very much.”

Seo nods and blinks back tears.

Woohee said goodbye softly and Seo lies down on the bed. She looks at Yonghwa’s back - he hadn’t moved.  Slowly she stands up and goes to the cabinet to take out her mobile. Yonghwa didn’t even want her open her phone reasoning that he didn’t want her to stress out.

“Where do you think you’re going Seo Joohyun?” A petulant voice calls out.

“Aren’t you sleeping?”

“I was but I’ve been awake now for a while and listening to you and that young doctor talking.”

“Uhm - so you heard that you’re her bias in CNBlue?”

“Yes - she’s got good taste. Just joking.” Yonghwa chuckles as he stands up. “Were you going to the bathroom?”

“Er no - I was going to get -”

“Your mobile?” He pulls her phone out from his hoodie pocket. “No.” He gives her his famously naughty smile and puts the phone right back in the  hoodie pocket.

Seo scowls and lies back down.  When Yonghwa comes out of the bathroom she had a question for him again.

“Oppa - does the office know? I only filed 3 days leave.”

“President So said he told TOP, Dara and Thunder.”

“Oh - telling Thunder is like telling the whole office.” Seo exclaims.

Yonghwa shrugs his shoulders and sits on the bed. Pulling at Seo so that she partially rested on him. “I won’t let them scold you.” He kisses her hand. “Not too much. Want to watch your dramas?”

“Uhm - I probably missed a whole lot.” She nods. “How about news?”

“No - especially not the entertainment news.” He tells her.

“Oppa have you announced it yet?” Seo holds his hand between her own.

“When I go back to Seoul. I‘ve written out a few notes to myself - I’ll compose it  and release it as soon as possible.”

“Won’t FNC PR need to look at it?”

“Why? When I confirmed our relationship I didn’t have FNC look at it. This is my personal post - they have nothing to do with it.”

“But they’ll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter