CHAPTER 24 - A DESPERATE HEART (PART 3)

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Op…pa.” Seo gathers all her strength to say the word. constricts and she could barely swallow. She felt tired and the room spins even if she only moved her eyes. 

“Seo-nah.” Yonghwa leans on the bed. His hand holds her cold hand and he looks into her eyes. “Oppa is here.”

Seo eyes tear up and she struggles to say his name. Every part of her body was slow.

“No don’t talk anymore. Its fine, sweetheart.” Yonghwa kisses her forehead. He too struggles not to cry. His hand her hair and he gives her a smile.

“Miss Seo.” Dr. Tim Kang smiles at her. “We are happy and relieved that you woke up. Your Uncle and brother are on their way.”

Seo nods her head.

“I will update you on your condition when your Uncle and brother come. In the meantime – Mr. Jung will just stay here with you.” Dr. Kang looks at both of them. “No more than 1 visitor at a time – I’ll tell everyone outside.” With that the doctor and his staff leave.

“Seonah.” Yonghwa leans and kisses her lips. “I was so worried about you. You shouldn’t have…”

“Be…cause…” She whispers. “Love……….you.” The words were an effort – she felt her heart pounding.

“Didn’t I say no talking?” He kisses her hand. “I know Seonah….I know you love me. What you did is so unexpected and up to now I’m still shocked that you threw yourself in front of those darts. Every time I close my eyes my mind replays the scene.” His tears fall and he starts to sob. “I was so scared I was going to lose you.”

The room was quiet except for the sound of Yonghwa’s sobs. Seo’s eyes leak tears.

When he notices her tears he stands up and dries her face with his thumbs. He gives her a watery smile and goes quickly to the bathroom to wash his face. He sits down next to her bed and holds her hand again.

 “Yuri and Thunder are outside. Do you want to see them?”

Seo slowly shakes her head and her hand tightens in his – the room spun. “You…..only.” She wills herself to breathe.

“Arrasso. Just me.” He leans closer and gives her a quick hug.

“Tell……te…tell…..me.” She mouths the words.

 “Later, when you’re better.” He looks at her. She was still cold and pale. He pulls the insulation blankets higher around her.

“Tell….” She tries to squeeze his hand.

Yonghwa looks at her face. Her eyes plead with him to tell her what happened.  He kisses her again and sighs. “Persistent…that’s what you are.”

Seo nods.

“Ah – you’re supposed to rest Jagiya.” Yonghwa looks at her. “Later.”

“Op…pa.” She shakes her head again. She felt queasy.

“Arasso, arasso – Oppa will tell you.” He holds her head. “Don’t move too much.”

Yonghwa tells her what happened since she was rushed to the hospital. He told her about Kaito and his link to Sungjoong and the incident in the vet’s office. 

“He gave us the antidote, sweetheart. But of course – the doctor and the hospital are giving you only the medically approved equivalent of the antidote’s composition. They’ll give it to you in 3 doses – the next one will be a couple of hours from now.”

“Sle...ep” Seo looks at Yonghwa.

“Alright go to sleep.” Yonghwa stands up. “I will have Yuri come here.”

She tries to get the word out. “He…re.”

“Alright I’ll just go outside and tell them.” Yonghwa stands up again but Seo does not let go of his hand. “Arasso – Oppa will just call.”

Truth to tell Seo was afraid of falling asleep.  Everything including breathing was hard to do.  She was fully conscious when they were trying to revive her – it was an effort to even open her eyes.

“Af…raid.” She swallows painfully.

“No, no sweetheart – don’t be afraid. Oppa will be just here next to you. No need to be afraid.” Yonghwa pulls out his phone and calls Thunder and tells him that he would be staying with Seo.

“Seonah –Thunder wants to talk to you. You don’t need to answer.” Yonghwa puts the phone on speaker.

“Seonah get well. We are so happy you came back. Get some sleep arasso? Maknae listen to Sunbae.”

Seo gives a little smile and looks at Yonghwa.

“Close your eyes. I’ll just be here.” Yonghwa smiles and leans to kiss her forehead. “Wah, look at that - your hand is fused with my hand. Go to sleep sweetheart. Please for Oppa. Hm?”

Seo closes her eyes and sighs.  She was very tired and only felt a little sensation in her fingers but she knew he wouldn’t let go of her hand.

It was almost an hour before Yonghwa was certain that Seo was asleep. Pulling his chair closer to the bed – he leans his head on the mattress and closes his eyes. His headache was massive and a nap would help him cope.

When TOP opens the door to Seo’s room a few hours later– he finds both of them asleep. He steps back and closes the door quietly. 

“How long was Seo conscious?” He asks Thunder.

“Only for a short while – maybe 20 minutes – I’m not really sure because Yong called and he said that she wanted him to stay with her. I spoke to her over the phone but she didn’t speak.” Thunder replies.

“It’s almost time for her next shot.” Yuri looks at her watch.

“You two look frightful.” So Ju Sub looks at his two guards.

“Well, sleeping on chairs is not comfortable Sajangnim.” Yuri frowns. “I’ll freshen up. Thunder will be buy us breakfast.” She takes her backpack and walks away.

“Me?” Thunder asks.

“Yes, you. Now go.” TOP looks at his brother in law.

“When is Noona coming?” Thunder asks.

“Before lunch. She and Ommonim still have some people to meet with regards to the reception. We are thinking of postponing it until Seo is well.” TOP replies. “Uncle has agreed.”

Yuri comes back with her hair combed and face washed. She changed into a fresh shirt.

“How is he?” So Ji Sub asks Yuri about Yonghwa.

“He’s very stressed out. His eyes are like slits. He ate only very little. I heard from their manager that he’s asked FNC to have their conscription date moved to next month because he wants to be assured that Seo is well before he begins his duties. The other CNBlue members have agreed. Oh and they’re not talking to President Han and the Directress – they’re angry at the stance that FNC has taken with regard to what happened to Seo.” Yuri reported.

“Well I can understand CNBlue’s resentment. But if President Han wants to abide by what the FNC lawyers say then we cannot do anything. The Police Commissioner will be making a statement with regard to this case. It’s gone that far up especially since Kaito Arakawa is a Japanese citizen. Detective Sungkyu and Lee Joon are already in the Police Captain’s office as we speak going thru the details of the Commissioner’s report. The media will have a field day when the story gets revealed.” So Ji Sub replies.

“And Seo?” Yuri asks.

“As much as I didn’t want them to make her out like a heroine – the Police Commissioner is adamant that she should be put in the spotlight. What Seo did was heroic – putting herself in front of those darts and endangering her life.”

“But you’re worried about CNBlue’s fans?” TOP asks.

“Yes, I don’t know how they’ll take it. The report will not even hint of a relationship – Lee Joon will make sure of that. We have to protect their relationship. But you know how fans are – “So Ji Sub sighs.

“Then they’re not our fans at all.”

Everyone turns as Yonghwa steps out of the room.

“You look terrible!” Yuri exclaims.

He had a stubble on his chin, his eyes were red-rimmed and his hair was messed up. But while she said he looked terrible, Yonghwa just smiles and waves his hand. “I couldn’t care less. I only care for Seo.”

“How is she?” Her Uncle asks.

“Sleeping.” Yonghwa answers. “She has a hard time talking. She’s still pale and cold. I stayed with her because she wanted me to. She was afraid of sleeping.”

“Maknae!” Yuri whispers and wipes her tears away. “Sajangnim – go and see her.”

So Ji Sub nods and heads for the room.  He opens the door and quietly slips into the room.  Standing next to Seo’s bedside he looks down and gazes his niece’s face. Pale with not a hint of her usual pink cheeks and lips. Breathing was shallow and a bit labored. He looks at the machine and sees that she was stable.

“Aegyah.” He whispers as his fingers touch her hair. “Gomawo for coming back to us.” His mind flying back to the first time he held her in his arms. He had just become her guardian then and a storm was raging outside – Seo was crying for her mother. He remembered the small heaving back and the tiny arms that wound around his neck. They fell asleep on the rocking chair.

“Sam…chon.”

So Ji Sub looks down at Seo. She was awake and trying to raise her hand.

“Hyunnie.” The childhood name came easily to his lips. So Ji Sub sits down and takes her hand in his. It was cold so he puts her hand between his – trying to warm her.

“Yonghwa just stepped out for a bit. Your TOP Oppa is wants to see you. The agency is doing everything we can to put the stalker behind bars for what he did to you. Just think about getting well.”

“Dubu?”

“She’s at home. Ahjumma is taking care of her. She misses you so hurry up and get well so you can see her.”

Seo nods and smiles a little.

“Samchon is going to get TOP Oppa – he’s been wanting to see you since last night.” So Ji Sub kisses her hand and giving her a little wave goes out of the room.

“She’s awake.” So Ji Sub tells them. “TOP go and see your sister.”

 “Wah – the princess is awake.” TOP greets Seo when he enters the room.

She gives him a small smile as he sits down on the chair.

Like their Uncle, TOP’s heart was breaking as he sees her lying on the bed – her face almost the color of the white sheet on her hospital bed.

“Dara will be here by today.” He tells her. “Hyunnie – your Unnie and I, we want to postpone the ceremony until you are well. Samchon already agreed, Dara’s adoptive parents also agreed. We want you to be there.”

Seo breath hitches. Dara Unnie waited for so long for her brother to agree to a ceremony and now they were postponing because of her.

“Don’t even think of disagreeing.” TOP squeezes her hand. “We will wait for you. Don’t worry – we already registered the marriage – it’s now just a matter of the ceremony. Don’t even feel guilty arasso? I’ll get mad at you.”

It was painful to blink but Seo still managed. She nods her understanding.

“Now, I have to go and check on the progress of the case. Ah, Samchon told me that the Police Commissioner is adamant in making you a heroine. But don’t worry – we made sure that there is no mention of a relationship between you and Yonghwa.  It will be in the line of duty. Except for Detective Kim Sunkyu, FNC management and CNBlue – no one knows your boyfriend fired you.” TOP smiles at his sister.

“Op…pa…” Seo wanted to talk some more but suddenly closes and she starts to gasp for air. Her hand goes to . Themachine she was hooked to starts beeping.

“Seo! Seo!” TOP calls out and presses the on-call button.

Seo tries to get up – she was drowning. Her brother was distraught and she pulls at his arms trying to get to a sitting position.

The door bursts open as the nurses and resident rush to the room.

“Raise the patient’s bed!” The resident tells the nurses. “Miss Seo! Calm down!”

And just when she felt that she was going to pass out Seo vomited blood. Dark chunks of blood came out of .

“Call Dr. Kang! Now!” The resident screams at another nurse. “Ready the crash cart.”

“Doctor – she’s bleeding!” The nurse shows the resident the pool of dark blood on between Seo’s legs.

“No – no one comes in!” The resident shakes his head at Yonghwa, TOP and So Ji Sub.

For Seo, the gagging sensation doesn’t stop – she feels the nurse hold her upright.  She clutches at the nurse’s hand. Her stomach kept heaving and her insides hurt so much.  Faintly she heard sounds and realized that she was hearing herself.

“How long has she been like this?” Dr. Kang rushes to the room.

“More than 10 minutes now Doctor.” The resident replies.

“Have the techs come in and get samples of the blood. I want toxicology on this – right now!” Dr. Kang holds Seo’s wrist and checks her pulse. “I want the blood work results in an hour! “

The resident rushes out the door.

“Just hold on – they’re doing everything they can for her.” So Ji Sub looks at Yonghwa. He himself was wavering but the look of devastation and utter hopelessness on the younger man’s face made So Ji Sub want to weep. 

TOP was slumped against the wall – his entire shirt front smeared with the dark blood that came out of Seo’s mouth. Yuri was sobbing in Thunder’s arms.

The resident running back with a lab technician. “Please everyone stay back!”

“Be sure to get samples of the blood that came out of and the one pooling around her legs.” Dr. Kang tells the tech. “I want you to call your supervisor and have him come in early – and the technician that was with us in the Japanese embassy I want him to examine the blood – what’s his name?”


“Kim Min So, Doctor.” The technician replies as he was gathering samples of the blood. “Yes, he is on call and will be in the lab shortly.” He was quick and leaves the room with samples of the blood.

“Miss Seo – are you alright now?” Dr. Kang looks at Seo. “Do you feel like you need to vomit again?”

Seo shakes her head. She felt empty but relieved.

“Change Miss Seo – be sure that every drop of blood is removed from her body. Bathe her if you need to but make it fast. As soon as she’s ready call me – I will be outside talking to the family.”

When Dr. Tim Kang comes out of the room he’s immediately surrounded.

“How is she?” Yonghwa asks. He felt cold all over and Thunder’s hand on his shoulder barely registered with him.

“If my theory about this poison is correct - and I believe I am correct – the clotted blood that came from Miss Seo is from the poison.  The body expels poison from all available openings and this what I believe happened her. This is good – it means that the antidote is working.”

“I am having the nurses clean her up and the bed changed. My resident will be supervising. As soon as she’s ready I will examine her again. Then I will administer the 2nd dose. We will observe her carefully. It helped a great deal that she is healthy and in great physical shape. She’s a fighter and that’s the best kind of patient for all doctors.”

“Doctor Kang. Miss Seo is ready now.” The nurse calls out from the room.

Dr. Kang was all smiles when he sees Seo. He takes in the fact that she as bit more color to her face, the bed was raised and the machine registers her stable condition.

The nurses had given her a quick bath. Seo told them that she wanted her hair washed and the 3 women complied.  Seo closed her eyes in relief as thee pairs of hand worked quickly to make her clean. She felt immense relief – she felt like a person again. She even managed to quince when they were combing out her hair with one of the small combs that the nurses had.

“Make sure to dry her hair.” Dr. Kang tells the nurses. “Ask one of the residents to find a hair dryer. Tell them I told you.” He looks at the male resident. “Young ladies need to look their best even in a hospital bed.”

Seo gives a small smile.

“Let’s begin shall we?” Dr. Kang looks at the resident.

Seo was subjected to a thorough physical examination by Dr. Kang. Short of examining her private parts – which he instructed the senior nurse to do.

“You look pretty good for someone we thought would die yesterday.” Dr. Kang looks at her. “It’s a good thing we were able to make a medically acceptable antidote. You will be regaining your sense of touch little by little. Your body just did what it would normally do – flush the toxins. I can’t guarantee that you won’t vomit blood again but we will continually observe. Take it slowly – don’t be too impatient if your body doesn’t react as fast as it used too – the poison targeted the nerves. “

“Now – just rest up and –“

They all stopped when they hear Seo’s stomach rumbled.

Everyone laughed.

“Good – good – you have an appetite. But only plain rice porridge for you. Little salt only – make sure that the dietician knows Miss Seo’s situation. Just a small bowl. Now – we’ll administer the 2nd shot.” Dr. Kang gets the syringe from the resident and injects it into Seo’s IV.

“Keep her under observation at all times.” The doctor looks at his staff. “Miss Seo – if you feel anything – anything at all be sure to call the nurses at once.”

Seo nods.

“Now, I have a meeting with Director Kim. You will be the topic of conversation of course. Since your Uncle is here I may very well take him with me.”

“Uhm Doctor Kang – still one visitor at a time?” The nurse asks.

“Yes.” Dr. Kang replies then and smiles at Seo. “I believe she prefers Mr. Jung’s company.”

Seo had the slightest tinge of pink on her cheeks. The nurses gave soft giggles and look at the floor.

When they left her, Seo tries to get a more comfortable position. As usual she was slow then she feels warm arms go around her.

“Here – let me help you.” Yonghwa murmurs. He gently lifts her body and positions her in the middle of the bed.  Then he lowers the top half in a reclining position.

“Better.” He asks her. He was about to straighten up when Seo puts a hand on his cheek.

“Tired.” Her eyes look at his face. Almost as pale as her own, eyes blood shot, hair in disarray, in need of a shave.

“Don’t worry about me.” He takes her palm and kisses it.

“I….scared….you…again.” She said the words slowly.  Her heart accelerates as bit as well as her breath but not as bad as before.

He nods. “Dr. Kang took your Samchon and your TOP Oppa to meet with the hospital director. Now Jagiya can Yuri and Thunder come to see you? “

She nods.

“Okay – just wait for a bit.” Yonghwa opens the door and calls Yuri.

When Yuri sees Seo she breaks down in tears and embraces her. “Maknae! You gave everyone a fright! Why did you do that? Alright – I know – you love the man!”

Seo nods.

“But still you could have died! And where would that leave us?” Yuri sobs.

“Will….get….well.” Seo whispers.

“Of course.” Yuri dries her tears. “The unnies will come later. Everyone wants to see you especially Fany.”

“Be quick!” Thunder peeps from outside. “My turn.”

Yuri scowls at him then turns to Seo. “Alright I’ll go but I’m assigned to you today so I’ll just be outside.”

“Okay already!” Yuri goes out of the door. “Be quick too!”

When Thunder comes in the room all he did was to pull up his chair closer and just looks at Seo.

Seo looks right back at him.

“To think I always thought of you as the little girl who kept following me around.  Remember how when we were little you would scream and run away from bugs? Or when you freaked out when Hyung caught a spider and threw at you and Noona? You were such a girl then. But look at you know – you’ve put your life in danger for the 4th time.  You’re selfless, brave and crazy.”  Thunder’s tears fell and he wipes them away quickly.

“Cry…baby.” Seo whispers and a small smile touches her lips

”Yah- a lot of us cried not just me.” Thunder dries his face. “You gave us a fright.”

“Mian.” She replies.

The door opens and Yonghwa’s mother peeps in. “Hyunnie annyeong!”

“Ommonim.” Thunder stands up. “Annyeong hasayo.” He goes to the door and lets Yonghwa’s mother in. “

“Kamsahamnida. We just arrived now to bring Yongie a change of clothes.” Yonghwa’s mother comes in and sits on the chair. “Hyunnie annyeong. How are you today?”

“Ma – she can’t talk too much.” Yonghwa comes in with an overnight bag. “Seonah – Oppa will just take a quick shower and change. The nurse will come with your rice porridge soon.” He blows her a kiss and goes to the bathroom.

Yonghwa’s mother smiles at Seo and holds her hand. “You must be suffering a lot Hyunnie. Omma feels so sorry for you.” Tears fall f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter