CHAPTER 10 : BEST FRIENDS 2

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It started with the best intentions. This was something Sungyeol constantly reminded himself.

To make Nana happy.

The guys at the sound booths in FNC were friendly people. He and 3 other engineering students were lucky to have been chosen to do their internship there.  When he met FT Island for the first time he was bowled over.  It was pretty exciting watching them record and see how the recordings went.  The sound engineers were vital in recording the true sound and feel of the song.  He was like a lovesick fan when Juniel did a pre-recording.  She was cute and very talented.  Regarded by everyone as the Princess in FNC – she was nonetheless down to earth and had treated all of them to pizza and sodas after the recording.

The day when CNBlue came to record their songs was even more overwhelming.  He really wanted to know what made Jung Yonghwa special to Nana and to everyone in FNC.  They came dressed simply. They practiced before even laying one track down.  Sungyeol observed that Yonghwa was involved in every aspect of the process – he made sure every track was to his satisfaction – not anyone else’s – he listened to what the sound technicians and the sound director had to say, what his band mates had to say but at the end it was always what he wanted that got pushed thru.  It was a gruelling 10 hours that the 4 interns had to stay and watch but at the end, about almost midnight – they heard 3 finished songs that completely blew them away. He would have bet that by the end of that time the band would be very tired or grumpy but he was mistaken – even tired and hungry – Jung Yonghwa was the happiest person there.  He thanked everyone sincerely with a low soft voice. The engineers clapped their hands on his back and asked him to rest. His mates got water and a change of clothes for him then waited patiently for him to come back. Then he surprised them all by ordering chicken and beer for the entire crew.  And in the following days Sungyeol witnessed how much everyone in FNC doted on Yonghwa.  He was the Oppa that AOA always giggled about, the Oppa that Juniel loved to tease, the Hyung that CNBlue, FT Island and NFlying always sought for his opinion on their songs, music and private matters.

Yes, Jung Yonghwa deserved every bit of Nana’s admiration.  He was hardworking and dedicated to his craft.

Then one day it just hit Sungyeol – how to make Nana happy.  He started with FNC merchandise that he could buy then pester the staff with having CNBlue sign. But the band was good natured if busy – it took days to get all 4 signatures but he was able to do that.  Funny but the one who always made time was Yonghwa.  Then he was able to give Nana tips on where CNBlue would be even before their schedules were announced just because he got on the good side of one of the managers because he was able to restore the manager’s phone after it crashed. Then he was able to get the photo-op for Nana.

Sungyeol was happy because Nana was happy.

Then another idea hit him. 

His friends from school not only taught him how to restore phones but he had also been learning something new from them – cloning phones.  It was a dangerous activity – one that when you’re caught you could serve jail time for.  But it was just a hobby for bright engineering students.  They cloned each other’s phones and laughed when some of them go caught or scolded by girlfriends for inappropriate text messages or pictures. Sungyeol was convinced that he could pull it off.

For Nana.

He was going to clone Jung Yonghwa’s phone. All of CNBlue as well as their Manager.

Every time they record – all of CNBlue’s phones were left with their manager.  Since they were all Samsung – Sungyeol really didn’t know which one was Yonghwa’s.  So as soon as he got the cloning device in his bag he just waited for the right time.  It was not that easy – since as an intern he could only be near the sound booths.  But every time the Manager had to do something he either told one of the sound guys to mind the phones, this was never entrusted to the interns. But as his luck would have it, one time when the Manager was a bit careless 2 of the phones fell out from the bag. 

Heart pounding and looking around Sungyeol very carefully put them in his bag and hurried out of the room.  Praying for time – he heads for the bathroom.  Quickly getting inside a stall he puts out the cloning device and was finished in 10 minutes.  His forehead was dotted with sweat as he puts the phones back on the floor and resumes his post next to the sound engineer who barely spared him a glance. After recording, Minhyuk retrieved the phones and jokingly scolded their manager Hyung when he saw that 2 of the phones were on the floor. Giving everyone a courteous goodnight – CNBlue went out for another schedule.

Sungyeol could not believe his luck when he ran the program.  He got Yonghwa and Jonghyun’s phones. As he looked into their messages and pictures Sungyeol knew that he was violating their privacy.

He saw private family pictures, friends and fans. He saw that the band had a private link between just the 4 of them, another link with their manager, and another with the FNC family.

“Well he really does have a girlfriend.” Sungyeol sighs.

Pictures and messages exchanged between Yonghwa and Shin Hye.  Sungyeol learned that Yonghwa was sentimental and loving sending caring texts and pictures to Shin Hye.  As much he could tell the girl reciprocated right back. They were going into their 2nd year as a couple. But even Sungyeol could tell from the latest photos and messages that something was wrong. Lately it had only been Yonghwa sending the texts and photos and Shin Hye was not answering. 

Right after he was able to clone Yonghwa’s phone he started this deception with Nana.  He would send Nana the pictures that were also sent to Shin Hye.  He congratulated himself for his brilliance. Nana actually believed that she was getting texts and pictures from her idol.

Sungyeol didn’t think it was causing any harm. Until he felt Sungjong getting more suspicious of him.  So he distanced himself from Nana’s best friend.   Choosing to casually meet her in the stores around where they lived. He felt that Sungjong could see right thru him but then again Sungyeol had to admit it was probably just his guilty conscience.

 But lately it was hard to send a happy picture of Yonghwa.  Reading thru the texts – it seems that he and Shin Hye were drifting apart. He tried using old pictures of Yonghwa that he found inside the folders of mobile only to end up with Nana texting and asking why he was using old selfies.  But he was able to get off the hook by texting that it was just to let her know what he looked like before. Sungyeol had beads of sweat on his forehead.  It was hard trying to be Jung Yonghwa.

He’d been waiting for something from one of his underground friends. It was something even more dangerous than cloning. It was even more complex but while it bothered him that he had to do it he also wanted to try it.

Then it came and Sunyeol set up several monitors and devices inside his little apartment.  It was done and he only had to marvel at the how clever his underground friends were.

He started typing: ANNYEONG HASAYO NANA

At first the voice that came out of the speaker was eerie – like a robot so Sungyeol spent some time toning down the voice - a skilful sound engineer to the core.

He re-typed the command and it sounded more like a human voice. A specific voice – Jung Yonghwa’s voice.

Culled from endless interviews – the program picked almost all of the nuances of Yonghwa’s speech.  Sungyeol just had to match the tone and pitch. It was not an easy thing to do because the program was not perfect.  He was terrified of making the sentences longer as the program might stall.  But he was willing to give it a try.

Three days later he felt he just had to try.  Nana confided to him that she was once again so sad that Yonghwa hadn’t texted her. They said good night right after eating some snacks in the convenience store.

His heart was hammering as he starts the computer.

“Yebosayo?” Nana absentmindedly answered her phone.  She was just closing her front door.

“Annyeong hasayo Nana-ssi”

Nana’s heart beat very fast – no way she could recognize that voice.

“Yonghwa Oppa?” Her voice was faint.

“How are you?”

Their chat lasted for 10 minutes and Sungyeol was too nervous to continue.  He typed that he had to rest.  This was not a lie – Yonghwa was at home and based on the inactivity of his phone he was probably eating, watching TV or sleeping. A rare treat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter