CHAPTER 20 : SASA WAS HER NAME

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Maknae! Open the door!”

“No!”

“Maknae – it’s Fany Unnie! Just open the door….”

“Unnie – no, chaebal. Can you just tell them to leave?”

“Seo – Seo! Open the door – Samchon and I need to talk to you….”

“Go away Oppa! I don’t want to talk to you or to Samchon.”

Seo sinks to the floor and sobs.  She reaches for her mobile and re-reads the message again.

Dubu was stable but would need to spend another day or two in the animal hospital. It made no sense to Seo – no sense at all. The senseless targeting of her dog and the other dogs in the vet clinic.

All because of her relationship with Oppa.

Three days ago….

“I’m not going with you today Oppa. I need to take Dubu to the vet for her shots and to look at her paw.” Seo pats the big dog’s head.

“Alright but be sure to text me where you are.”  Yonghwa kisses her forehead as they step in the elevator on their way to the basement.

“You worry too much. It’s my job to worry about you and not the other way around.”  Seo smiles at him.

“We’ll take the Jeep so that Appa’s girl feels comfortable.” Yonghwa opens the back of the Jeep and gently tucks Dubu’s blanket around her.

“You spoil her too much.” Seo remarks.  Yonghwa bought a lot of things for Dubu – food and water bowls, blankets, chew toys, a couple of leashes and her own monogramed oversized cushion.  All brand names that Seo looked up on line and scolded Yonghwa for buying. They were expensive.

“She’s an only child.” He smiles and hands Seo the key. “You drive. I sleep.”

“Sleep again?” Seo looks at him as she starts the vehicle. Yonghwa had reclined the passenger seat as far back as possible and already had his eyes closed. He didn’t answer but merely grunted and motioned for her to go.

Seo drove carefully. The 2 most important beings in her life were in the Jeep with her. She refrained from honking or sudden stops.

“Oppa – we’re here.” Seo gently shakes him.

“Already?” He mumbles. His hand removes his glasses while his other hand starts to rub his eyes.

“Ah-ah. No! You’ll bruise your skin again.” Seo holds his hand. “This is why I told you to wear contacts.”

“Only 2 radio shows today then home – no need for contacts.” Yonghwa kisses her hand. “Be home as soon as you can.”

“Alright Oppa.” Seo smiles. “Are you sure it’s alright to use your Jeep?  I can always have Thunder pick us up here.”

“Use my Jeep. The van will be here to drive us around. See you later Jagiya.” He gives her a swift kiss before opening the door.

Seo blushes as she watches him make a run for the FNC back entrance. She told him that he shouldn’t be kissing her in public because someone might see but as usual he never listens. She glances around and sighs with relief.  There were no people on the back street.

They were early for Dubu’s appointment so they sit down on the park bench right across from the vet clinic. Dubu whines and puts her paw on Seo’s leg.

“Ah poor baby it’s painful?” Seo gently pats the bandaged paw. “I’m sure when Doctor Kim looks at it she’ll make it better.”

Dubu had torn her claw on the carpet when she and Thunder were playing in his apartment. Thunder called her up 2 nights ago and told her that he was in the vet clinic with Dubu. Seo and Yonghwa had driven to the clinic straight from a fan meet. If Dubu’s vet Dr. Lim Kim was surprised about seeing Jung Yonghwa, an idol, embrace an almost full grown husky regardless of his all-white outfit, the petite and pretty vet hid it well.  The wound required stitches, Yonghwa was next to Dubu while she was being stitched. The big dog whined and tried to remove her paw several times but Yonghwa would lean and whisper, hugging the dog closer to him.  Seo actually felt sorry for Thunder because he got scolded by almost everyone in the agency when they got to know about what happened. 

“Dubu-yah your wound is getting better.” Dr. Kim smiles at Seo. “You still need to keep it clean though – no playing in the dirt for a while. She needs to stay in-doors and no rough playing. She’s good for long walks and short runs to keep her energy up.”

Seo could feel the other woman’s curiosity about Yonghwa but she was glad that she wasn’t questioned.

“Uhm is Mr. Park alright?”

“Thunder? Yes, he is.” Seo nods. “He still feels guilty about what happened.”

“Yes I know – he was as white as a sheet when he came with Dubu.  He carried her and it’s not a mean feat because Dubu’s heavy.” The vet remarked. “Now, kindly wait here while I get her shots.”

Seo nods and tries not to feel anxious. Dubu didn’t like shots – she would whine and try to run away. Usually Thunder or TOP Oppa would be the ones to go with Dubu for her shots but Seo didn’t want to impose. She also purposely didn’t tell Yonghwa that Dubu disliked shots because he might insist on going with them today.

“Let me introduce you to my new assistant – Woo Ji Ho.” Dr. Kim smiles as her assistant bows to Seo. “He’s interning with me.”

“Annyeong Hasayo.” The young man bows. “Just call me Zico.” He makes to come nearer to Seo but Dubu’s ears flatten and she lets out a soft growl.

“Mian – she’s not used to strangers. You should have her smell your hand first.” Seo tightens her hold on the big dog’s leash. “Slowly.”

“She’s quite protective of her Omma.” Dr. Kim steps between the dog and her assistant. “Most dog breeds are like that.”

Zico bravely extents his hand and Dubu smells it. She still let out a whine and steps back. He calmed himself so that the dog would not get jittery.  Zico felt privileged to work with Dr. Kim. Her clinic catered exclusively to big dog breeds and if he wanted to continue his dream of becoming a race horse vet he was sure that this was a good start.

“I can hold her while you give the shots.” Seo whispers a command to Dubu and the dog sits on its haunches on the examination table.

There were supposed to be 3 shots but as Dr.Kim was delivering the last one – Zico put his hands on her flank because Dubu kept moving. When she felt his hand, the big dog lurched and turned to bite his forearm.

“Dubu! Stop! Let go!” Seo holds her dog’s head. “Let go! Obey!” Dubu’s jaws were clamped on the assistant’s forearm. Pulling her away would only cause the bite to become deeper.

“Mianeyo – mianeyo! She’s really a good dog. It’s just that she’s really sensitive about strangers putting hands on her.” Seo gently holds the big dog’s mouth and soon the jaws unclenched and Dubu lets go of Zico’s forearm.

Dr. Kim examines the wound – the puncture marks were not deep but she gave her assistant a tetanus shot just in case.

“I’m sorry Miss Seo but I would have to keep Dubu here over night just to observe her. It’s just a simple precaution.”

Seo nods and sighs. Dubu was getting really big for Seo to manage on her own. Dubu was powerful but she still thought of herself as a puppy. Like Thunder, Yonghwa also played rough with Dubu – something that Seo could no longer do. 

While Dubu’s classification was husky – she was actually more half husky and half wolf. An exotic breed that her former owner bought in the black market and smuggled into Japan. While she was still a puppy Dubu really looked like a husky – the crème fur made her a cute living ball however now that she was nearing 3 years old her fur was turning into a mix of light gray and crème – her wolf nature was showing.

“It’s my fault - I knew Dubu’s very wary of strangers but I had hoped –“Dr. Kim was flustered. Dubu was one of the most behaved patients that she had.

“It’s my fault Dr. Kim – I didn’t read up on her history before I assisted you. I should have known better than to touch her the first time.” Zico replies. “Mianeyo Dubu-yah. I didn’t mean to.” Once again he offers his hand and was rewarded with a from Dubu.

  Seo accompanies Dubu to the kennels and requests Dr. Kim to let her stay with her dog until Dubu settles. Seo stays for another 2 hours before she leaves.

“I’ll come back for her in the morning Dr. Kim.” Seo looks up after she signs the form for Dubu’s overnight stay.

“She’ll be fine. Not to worry.” Dr. Kim smiles. “Now I have other patients waiting.”

Seo sends a text to Yonghwa telling him that Dubu had to stay overnight in the kennels.  She left it at that – not wanting to explain in detail. But she knew she would to tell him the story sometime that day.

She heads for the agency in order to catch up with a briefing from L about the FNC van incident.

“Ah Maknae you’re here.” L looks up from the papers on his desk. “Where’s Dubu?”

“Sunbae – she’s –“Seo was about to explain when L gets a call on his mobile.

“Let’s go to the police station Seo.  They told me that one of the employees in the repair shop has positively identified the man who tampered with the brakes.”

Seo put her worries about Dubu at the back of her mind. She needed to focus on work.

When they reach the station Detective Sungkyu was had just finished talking to the witness.

“Ah you’re here.” The detective smiles at L and Seo. “Sit down – I just finished talking to one of the employees of the repair shop. She was there on the morning that the mechanic tampered with the brakes. He’s an on call mechanic for them and she questioned him as to why he was there since the shop’s regular mechanic was coming in that day.  He told her that he was just returning some tools that he borrowed. The only problem is she never saw him open any of the vans only that he was there in parking lot when he wasn’t supposed to be there. He’s been called for questioning but he’s not coming in willingly. Several police had to chase him down. He has a history of petty crimes which probably makes him nervous about being called in.”

“Can we sit in while he’s being questioned?” L asks.

“Of course – you can be in the observation room.”

“Thank you. I’ll inform my supervisor right away.” L nods. “Seo you can go ahead with the Detective.”

Just about then Seo gets a text from Yonghwa – he wanted to know where she was and if she’d eaten. She texted back that she was in the police station because the suspect for the tampering of the FNC van was going to be questioned.  She rolls her eyes when she sees his number on her mobile.

“Why do you need to be there?” Yonghwa asks.

Seo stares at the phone. No greeting or anything.

“Seo Joohyun!”

Seo sighs. It was never a good thing when the men in her life called her by her complete name.

“I was the driver. Is that reason enough for you? L Sunbae is here with me if you must know.” She tried not to sound frustrated. Really Oppas was too protective at times – Yonghwa, TOP, Thunder, Lee Joon – all of them.

“I was just worried.”

“I know.”

“I wasn’t mad.”

“So you say.”

“Seo-nah!”

“It’s my job Oppa. I drove the van and now L Sunbae and I are going to listen in while the suspect is being interrogated. And no I will not tell you about it. Lee Joon Sunbae will report to FNC as soon as L gives them the report.”

“Mian Jagiya. Oppa was being overprotective again.”

“You were.”

“But you understand Oppa right?”

“Not always but I try to.”

“Have you eaten?”

“Maybe after we leave the police station.”

“Be sure to eat. I’ll text again and ask.”

“Alright.”

“Ah before I go – how is Dubu? She must be feeling bad about the shots.”

Seo hears Thunder’s voice in the background. She bites her lower lip – as usual Thunder would tell Yonghwa that Dubu disliked shots and always had to be restrained when she got them.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

This was the tone that Seo didn’t want to hear – the quiet tone that meant that Jung Yonghwa was well and truly pissed.

“I could handle her.”

“Thunder says you can’t.”

“Dubu is my dog! I can handle her.”

“So where is she? Thunder is on the phone right now with the vet.”

Seo stomps her foot in frustration. Having a boyfriend and a nosy childhood friend get into her business was irritating.

“She’s staying overnight in the kennel? She bit the doctor’s new assistant?”

“Oppa – she didn’t mean to! He accidentally held her flank because she was moving around so much.”

“And you didn’t tell me this?”

“Because you would be like this!” Seo takes a calming breath. “She’s fine. The assistant is fine. It’s just a precaution because his skin was punctured but only slightly. I’ll fetch her tomorrow.”

“I have to go – the radio show is starting. We’ll talk again later.”

“Deh.” Seo sighs.

“Maknae! Who was that on the phone?” L walks up to Seo.

“You know who it was Sunbae.” Seo frowns. “Yonghwa Oppa was asking why Dubu bit the vet’s new assistant.”

“Dubu bit someone? Dubu? Our Dubu?” L asks as they were walking towards the observation room.

“She was having her shots.”

“Ah – how come Thunder didn’t bring her to the vet instead? She getting big Maknae and she hates shots!”

“Because she’s my dog and I have to take care of her.” Seo pulls at her pony tail in frustration. “Sunbae! We have work to do – can we talk about it later?” They face the glass panel and look into Detective Kim questioning the suspect.

“Alright – business first but you’re not off the hook.” L tells her.

The suspect – Kim Heewon glared angrily at Detective Kim.

“What were you doing in the parking that day Mr. Kim?”

“Like I told that nosy woman – I was there to return tools.”

“Did you know that 2 FNC vans were being serviced by the repair and both were going to be released that day?"

“I don’t know. I didn’t notice.”

“That’s strange – they were the only 2 white vans in the parking lot.”

“I just returned the tools.”

“There was no log record of you borrowing tools and returning them.”

“I didn’t tell the owner.”

“That’s like stealing isn’t it?”

“I returned them!”

“Well, the owner is itching to lodge a complaint against you and you know that means loss of income for you since you’ll be black listed with the other repair shops.”

“I didn’t do anything!”

“Really? The CCTV two streets away doesn’t think so. You met with someone the night before.”

The man became nervous and fidgeted on his seat.

“Now – tell me who that person is and what that person wanted you to do.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You know I can convince the owner to not lodge a complaint against you. You won’t work with them anymore but you won’t have a record.”

“You can do that?”

“Do I look I’m joking with you?” Sungkyu leans and gives the man his sternest stare.

“Sorry Detective.”

“So tell me who you met and what you needed to do for that person.”

“Just a guy – he had hoodie on and a face mask. He gave me 500,000 won to puncture the brake fluid just enough for the van to lose control by afternoon.”

“You accepted money to put people’s live in danger.”

“No – if the driver is good enough he’ll know how to stop safely.”

Sungkyu thought how much he wanted to punch the man senseless.  He had no concept of how much he endangered lives and all for a measly 500,000 won.

“Well, you are lucky enough that the person who drove the van was good enough not to hurt the passengers.”  Sungkyu’s sarcasm was lost on the man. “So you can’t give me any information on the person who gave you the money?”

“He’s a young man – a bit taller than you, on the thin side. Like I said he was wearing a hoodie and a face mask.”

“His voice. What was his voice like? High or low? Satori?”

“Oh he didn’t talk to me – he just texted on his phone and showed it to me.”

“But how did he pick you out?”

“I don’t know.  I work then I go home. I don’t get drunk on the streets I drink at home.”

“How did he know you needed money?”

“Everyone needs money Detective show me a person who doesn’t?”

Sungkyu felt his temper snap.  He steps outside and calls the police men stationed outside. “Take him and don’t release him until I say so.”

“Yah, Detective I cooperated! Why are you throwing me in jail?”

“By the time the prosecutor comes I would think about something.” Sungkyu responds.

L and Seo look at the detective as he takes chair in front of them.

“My job sometimes. Don’t tell my boss that.” Sungkyu mumbles. “By the way Kim Heewon described the guy who gave him money could be Sungjoong but other than that we can’t prove that he paid Kim Heewon to puncture the brake fluid.”

“So we don’t have a case against this guy?” L asks.

“Not right now. We could let him go and call him back later when we catch the stalker.  I’ll make sure he cooperates. Sorry about that Miss Seo.”

“Like you said – we can use Mr. Lee Heewon later.” Seo nods.

“Well, we have to go and report to our agency.” L

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter