CHAPTER 12 : CONFESSIONS

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So what’s this I hear that Sooyoung went out on a weekend trip with her Oppa?” Thunder asks Seo.  They were outside the radio booth watching CNBlue.

Seo tried her best not to follow Yonghwa with her eyes.  He was getting very playful with the host – Jonghyun of Shinee. Everyone was laughing.

During the commercial break, Yonghwa dragged Jonghyun out and introduced them to the bodyguards.

“You’re a bodyguard?” The Shinee member was staring at Seo making her look down. He was looking at her intensely.

“Yah – she’ll melt!” Jungshin steps in between the MC and Seo. While she felt relief that everyone laughed she couldn’t help but feel disappointed that Yonghwa hadn’t spoken up.

The program started and the 2 bodyguards were by themselves again.

“Yup she and Kyung Ho Oppa went to his hometown to meet his parents. I haven’t heard anything from her yet.  Maybe later – I’ll call her.” Seo smiles at Thunder.

“Where are the Sunbaes?” Thunder and Seo look around for Lee Joon and Hoya.

“I don’t know, they were by the entrance a while ago.” Seo frowns.

“The radio show will be finished soon. Let me call them.” Thunder tells her.

Just then Hoya and Lee Joon step out of the elevator and walks up to the 2 younger guards.

CNBlue was scheduled to go back to FNC for the day.

“Uhm – Seo you have another assignment from now until tomorrow hopefully.” Lee Joon tells her.

“What assignment?” Thunders asks.

“Are you Seo?” Hoya looks at Thunder and frowns.

‘I’ll brief you on the way.” Lee Joon tells her then turns to CNBlue. “Seo will have to be on a different assignment from now until tomorrow – we need her to cover for Sooyoung. L will be here tomorrow to take her place. Seo let’s go.”

“Seo – come back soon alright?” Minhyuk calls out.

“Algessumnida.” Seo nods and turns to follow Lee Joon.

Lee Joon didn’t say anything as they pulled out of the basement.  Seo kept her eyes on the road and just drove to Gangnam as per Sunbae’s instruction.

“Seo – you’re very close to Sooyoung aren’t you?” Lee Joon asks her.

“Of course Sunbae.”

“How about Kyung Ho? Are you close to him?”

“Deh Sunbae.”

“Good. Then you won’t feel burdened if I tell you why we need you cover for her for this photo shoot.”

Seo turns her head towards her Sunbae, her eyes full of questions.

“Your unnie had a slight accident during the weekend. I believe she ate some food that had traces of crabs.  Crab shells to be exact and we all know what that does to her.”

“Omo – is she alright? Is she in the hospital?”

“Yes, she had an allergic skin reaction.  She was just lucky that it was only a dip and she had only taken a little. Her boyfriend and his family were shocked and luckily were able to get her to the hospital in time. It appears your Unnie did not tell her Oppa about her reaction to seafood.” Lee Joon’s voice was irritated.

“Sunbae – don’t be so mad with Unnie.  I mean it would be hard to tell her future in laws who live in a seaside town that she’s allergic to shellfish.” Seo defended her unnie. She could feel her phone vibrating.

“Don’t you even glance at that phone! I’ll give Thunder a lecture about his continuous looking out for you. You’re a big girl now.” Lee Joon tells her.

But Seo knew it wasn’t Thunder – at least she didn’t hope it was Thunder.

They reached the atelier that Sooyoung was working for as an undercover model.  Their client – Hong Suk-chun had hired them because of his designs were being stolen.  So far Sooyoung had ruled out any of the female models and was concentrating on the male models.  Seo had seen and talked briefly with Sooyoung during Fashion Week.

“So listen Maknae…” Lee Joon faces their agency’s youngest bodyguard.

As Lee Joon briefed her, Seo’s normally solemn face kept getting redder and redder.

“Sunbae! I can’t do this!” She blurts out.

“Why? I didn’t hear any complaints from you when you girls had to dress up as hookers in Macau!” Lee Joon was surprised. “This is an assignment Seo.  We can catch the thief with this photo shoot or at least rule out which model isn’t the culprit.”

“But why as a model? Why not Yuri unnie?”  Seo tried to keep her voice from sounding like a whine.

“Yuri is needed by Hyoyeon. TOP Sunbae has to go to YG for that day.  After I leave, Tiffany will be with you for the photoshoot.  It’s a spread for Hi Cut magazine. 15 photos representing the male formal collection. While you’ll be only showing your back and sides. The agency will be compensated for your stint.” Lee Joon tells her. “Oh, and of course you’ll have your name on the spread.”

“Sunbae – how about the models union? I mean I’m not registered.” Seo stammered.

“No need to worry – when we took on this assignment your Samchon already talked to the models union head as well as the president of the designers’ guild. They themselves are eager to know who has been leaking Hong Suk-chun’s designs abroad. Just today we received news that 2 of the women’s collection just hit the Bangkok market.”

Seo was quiet.  Lee Joon Sunbae was correct – they were so close in catching the thief.

“I apologize Sunbae. Of course I’ll do the photo shoot. I was just hesitant because of the unions.” Seo replies.

“Good, for a minute there I thought you got a boyfriend that’s why you didn’t want the assignment.” Lee Joon laughs.

Seo willed herself not to blush in case Lee Joon Sunbae starts teasing her.

“Now I’ll stay with you until Tiffany comes.” Lee Joon tells her as they get on the elevator.

“Why do I need someone to accompany me?” Seo asked.

“You’ll see.” Lee Joon replies.

They step inside a huge white room with 10 male models in different states of undress. Seo gasps and hurries to keep in step with her Sunbae. Her heart was hammering. Not that she was scared of men – she was very comfortable with men having grown up doing martial arts with them. But judo, taekwondo and dirt biking wasn’t the same was posing as a model with male models. Seo had her head down as she followed her Sunbae to the lone dressing room.

Inside was a team of women who would be preparing Seo for the shoot.  Lee Joon bows to them and gives Seo a wink as he leaves the room.

“So – you’re standing in for Sooyoung? Did you come from another shoot? “The woman with a shock of purple hair asked her.

“Annyeong hasayo Seo Joohyun imnida. Please just call me Seo.” She bows courteously.

“Come so we can start.” One of the women comes near her.  “You need to strip down.”

“Everything?” Seo paled.

“Everything. Some of the pictures will require a lot of skin. So I just need to look if you’re really porcelain all over.” The woman starts to help Seo out of her coat.

“Why?” She stammers.

“Don’t worry – it’s just so we know it we need to put body make on you but looking at your arms I think we don’t need any. Sooyoung was right when she recommended you – miles of porcelain skin!” The woman took Seo’s clothes away and just left the younger woman standing in her .

Seo was scrutinized by the 4 women – and she realized that this what models were subject to.

“Alright – let’s dress you up first. I can see your skin is getting cold.” One of the women led Seo to the other end of the room where there were 5 gowns.

“You’re fair so I think we will put the red gown for the entire spread – it’ll be more dramatic against your skin and hair. Do you mind if we change your hair black? We will also put waves. You don’t have another assignment lined up yet right?” The woman asks.

“No I don’t have an assignment yet.” Seo tells them. She was supposed to be a neophyte model being mentored by Sooyoung.

Two of the women help her put an incredible gown on.  Seo remembers Sooyoung unnie raving about the gowns. This gown was beautiful – blood red and deeply open at the back and sides. It showed her back almost all the way to her tail bone.  The sides were split all the way to her upper thighs and Seo was mortified. She was relieved when they started stitching up the underside of the gown near her s.

“Now – we’ve tightened the gown so just tell us if you’re uncomfortable sitting down.” They instruct her and Seo nods.

They seat her on a high chair and cover the gown with a white sheet.  They start setting her hair in waves and after that putting black hair chalk. Seo watched herself in the mirror as they layered her face with makeup, dramatically highlighting her cheekbones and putting 2 layers of fake eyelashes on her eyes and very red lipstick on her lips.

“You look magnificent. A siren!” They crowded around to inspect their work. They parted to let Seo look at herself.

She saw someone very different. The woman was very y. Dark fringed eyes, classic cheekbones and full red lips. Yes, a siren.

“Your mobile keeps vibrating. You better answer it. Shoot starts in 15 minutes.” The youngest makeup artist gives Seo her phone.

She looks at her phone and she had messages from Minhyuk, Jungshin and Thunder. And three voice mails from Yonghwa.

Jagiya, where are you? I heard you are out on a modeling assignment. Can you tell me where you are so I can fetch you?

I get that it’s working hours but could you just pick up the phone and answer me?  We’ll be practicing until 11 pm so call me before that.

Seo Joohyun answer your phone.

Seo hits the speed dial and was just preparing to leave a message when Yonghwa answers.

“Seo Joohyun why haven’t you answered your phone?” His voice was quiet.

Didn’t boyfriends usually becomes angry and shout? Somehow the quiet voice made her feel guilty.

“I was changing and having make up on. My phone was inside my coat.” She answered simply but her heart was hammering surely he should be mad.

“Have you eaten? It’s almost 7 pm.” He said softly. “I was worried about you.”

Seo felt tears cloud her vision before she blinks them away.

Worried?

“I don’t have a watch right now.” She whispers. Her hands unconsciously clenching on the expensive gown.

“Well, before you do that assignment ask for something to eat first alright?  It wouldn’t do for you to work on an empty stomach. I’ll be here at FNC until 11. Call me – I’ll be waiting.” He said.

“Alright.” She answers.

“And Jagiya –“His voice becomes even softer.

“Deh?”

“Take care of yourself for Oppa.”

“Algessumida.” She murmurs.

“What?”

“Algessumida Oppa.” Seo had to smile, she hears a soft chuckle before their conversation ends.

“Times up – hand over your phone.  Let’s start the photo shoot.” The makeup artist gets the phone from Seo and tells her to wear the 5 inch heels. She tries to put them and almost fell flat on her face. The makeup artist held on to Seo as they head outside.

The male models all had their suits on and Seo felt very conscious of all the eyes on her.  She wobbled on her heels and tried to maintain as much dignity as she could.

“Maknae! Omo! Omo! My jaw dropped to the floor. Very dramatic and mysterious!” Lee Joon joins her on the way to the lighted platform.

“Now pay attention to everything that the photographer says so that it’ll run smoothly. There’s CCTV here and we’ll monitor everything.” Lee Joon whispers to her.

Seo nods and walks towards the platform.

“You must be new – it’s always an adventure to work on a new body.” The photographer remarks. Seo just nods and stands on the platform.

“I know that we were only supposed to take back pictures and sides but your make up is so dramatic that I’ll photograph you for your portfolio.” The director smiles and heads towards her.

Seo was about to refuse but she glances at Lee Joon who nods his head.

The photographer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter