THE ART OF PUSH AND PULL

BODYGUARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seo regretted her words for the 100th time in the next three days.  While she made Yonghwa very very happy with what she said and she had a smile on her lips when he showered her face with kisses and embraced her so warmly.

The last three days as Yonghwa put her patience to the test.

That night she couldn’t bear to look at her Oppa’s face when they came out of the room.  Seo knew that she would be intensely questioned about why she had gone inside that room with Yonghwa.  TOP Oppa was very filial and So Ji Sub Samchon had grilled into him from the time he came to live with them that he must at all times take care of Seo.

TOP Oppa listened to Yonghwa’s answer and told CNBlue that he will relay their decision to Han Sajangnim and their agency president.

“Thunder will be staying with you tonight.” TOP announced. “Seo and I are going to the police station tomorrow.”

Seo and the other bodyguards bowed to CNBlue and bid them a pleasant good night. Seo knew that Yonghwa was trying to catch her eye but she avoided looking at him.

“Seo I’ll call you tonight okay? About the photo shoot next week!” Junsghsin called out.

Soe could only nod. Shin-nee didn’t have any photo shoot next week but she knew it was just a ploy.

“Seo will not be accompanying you for a few days until the detectives finish their questioning.” Hoya answered.

Seo’s phone vibrated more than 10 times as her Oppa drove them to his house.

“Don’t even think about glancing at that phone.” TOP said quietly. “Get Dubu and go home. Straight home and rest. Tomorrow we’ll go to the police station. Rest so you have a clear recollection of what happened.”

“Deh Oppa.”Seo didn’t argue. Years of living with her Oppa had taught her that arguing with him didn’t do anything to change his mind.  She knew her Oppa loves her very much and was very protective. All the teenage years that she ranted and challenged his authority were things of the past and only proved one thing to her – to him and to Samchon, while she is a precious person she would always be their little girl.

How could she tell the 2 people who love her most in the world that she was in love with a man who was not only an idol but their client as well? Oppa would yank her out of the assignment and she would never hear the end of it with her Samchon.

When they entered Oppa’s house Dubu came running up to greet them.  Her baby was so excited to see them that Seo almost fell as she hugged the wriggling mass of dog fur.

“Ah you’re home!” Dara embraces and gives her fiancé a quick kiss. She then orders Dubu to get off Seo.  Dara embraces Seo warmly.

“Aigoo – our baby is getting thinner. Why don’t you try to come over and eat here sometimes? My Omma always cooks a lot because of Thunder. You eat so little.” Dara felt Seo’s arms.

“Unnie – you’re almost 10 pounds lighter than I am – how can I be thin?” Seo embraces the woman who was both sister and surrogate mother to her for as long as she could remember. Dara took the little girl and helped her with all the feminine aspects of her life.  Dara picked out her clothes, fixed her hair and was always with her – like a sister. Even in that darkest hour – when Kyuhyun died.

“Dangshin, you’re limping again.” TOP led Dara to the sofa. “Here, sit down. Don’t move from there until it’s time for bed. Hyun-nah – go and prepare my dinner your Unnie had dance rehearsals today.”

“Deh Oppa.” Seo ran to kitchen with Dubu at her heels.  She made good time in re-heating the stew and rice. With ease of long practice, she set up the tray and side dishes and took the tray to the living room. Setting it in front of her Oppa she gives him a small smile and hurries to bring over a shot glass and a cold bottle of soju.

“Hmm…first class service. What did you do this time?” Dara asks Seo.

Seo‘s face blushes.  She was always lousy at lying except when it was needed in assignments.

“Where is my doongsaeng?” Dara asks her fiancé.

“He’ll be staying with CNBlue tonight.  L will bring him a change of clothes tomorrow.” TOP answers.  He wolfed his food down.  He hadn’t eaten anything the whole day and the report of what happened to Seo weighed on his mind.

“Don’ do that – you’ll choke.” Dara lightly taps his back. “Seo, why didn’t you give your Oppa a pitcher of water? “ Dara looks at Seo.

The younger woman hurries to get the water.

“Distracted?” Dara whispers to TOP.

“Big time.” He answers back.

Seo puts a pitcher of cold water and an empty glass near her Oppa.  She again sits at the farthest chair with Dubu on her feet.

TOP pours a glass of water and finishes it in one gulp.  He levels his stare at his baby sister. “So what did you discuss in the room with Jung Yonghwa?”

“What his thoughts were about the stalker.  Yonghwa-ssi doesn’t want this to hamper their last months before enlistment. I agree with him.” Seo answered. It was the truth so she didn’t feel uncomfortable telling that to Oppa.

“I heard that you don’t like each other.” TOP threw in the bait.

“Has Thunder been tattling again?” Seo’s nostrils flared.

“No – Lee Joon and Hoya told me. You can’t blame Thunder for this.” TOP replies. Although TOP could remember the small smile that Thunder had on his lips when TOP had asked him the same question.

“CNBlue right? Your assignment?” Dara looks at Seo.

“Deh Unnie. We’re alright now. He’s nicer than all the reports made him out to be.” Seo replied.

“I trust you remember that he’s a client. And operatives cannot become involved with their clients.” TOP tells her.

“Arayo.” She nods her head.  Dubu made a whining noise and Seo was glad to turn her attention to the dog. She hoped that her Oppa didn’t notice the very slight quiver in her tone when she answered him.

“Go home now and sleep. I’ll pick you up in the morning so we can go to the police station together.” TOP tells her. “Call me when you get home.”

Seo gives Dara a kiss and hug before placing a shy kiss on her Oppa’s cheek.  She was grateful that he didn’t go any further about what happened inside Yonghwa’s room nor did he even ask why her phone continued buzzing.

When the door closes TOP heaves a sigh and taking the tray goes to kitchen to clean up. From her seat on the sofa Dara watches the man she started loving since middle school.

For Dara it would always be TOP.  She didn’t like him at first because he gave off a very cold personality. But that soon changed when she saw him taking care of Seo.  He was devoted to the little girl.  Taking her for walks around the neighborhood, buying her ice cream and snacks.  The first time Dara saw him smile was when he was buying a popsicle for Seo.  TOP’s face changed and Dara knew that the coldness was only a façade.  Seo had waved at Dara and pulled her Oppa towards her.  It was Seo who introduced them to each other. Dara had often watched over Thunder and Seo while they were in the playground. The siblings would then take Seo home.  She and TOP became inseparable after that. The four of them would go almost everywhere together – thru high school and college. TOP was her first and only boyfriend, the boy who became the man – who she loves fiercely. He’d stood by her and Seo in the years they were recovering from the accident that took Kyuhyun’s life. His devotion to Dara never wavered. Now they’d been engaged for a year – only because So Ji Sub Samchon had finally extracted a promise of marriage from both of them.  They weren’t getting any younger Samchon and her parents had argued. The marriage would only be a formality because for Dara and TOP – they had been married to each since they graduated high school.

“My back will have a big hole” TOP called out to her as he washed the dishes.

“I like looking at your back” Dara replied.

“You like looking at me period.” He turns and winks at her.  This playful funny and soft side was only reserved for her.

“Conceited man.” Dara laughs. “Come help me up.  I’m sleepy.”

TOP pulls her up and swings her into his arms. Dara kisses him on the cheek.

Walking into their bedroom he puts her gently on the bed. He gives her a kiss on the nose and goes to the bathroom for a shower. Dara was lightly sleeping when he slides into the bed and kisses her forehead.

“I thought you’d still be awake.” He kisses her forehead. “Did Seo call or text?”

“She texted that she got home safely.” Dara smiles and cuddles closer. “Dangshin – what’s with your attitude towards Seo?”

“I can’t really put a finger on it – but I feel that she and Jung Yonghwa have something between them.”

“Ah your Oppa senses are tingling?” Dara laughs.

“Seriously, I mean, I haven’t really witnessed anything but from what Lee Joon and Hoya tell me – she and that boy have gotten closer.”

“Aside from being her current client – their closeness - is that a bad thing for you?”

“He’s an idol! Do you know what fan girls do to their idols girlfriends?”

“Wait – wait – who said she was his girlfriend?” Dar sits up and looks down at TOP.  Seo never kept anything from Dara. And this was first time Dara was hearing about it.

“I never said she was. Really dangshin – sometimes you exasperate me.” Top sits up and looks at his fiancé.

“You just said she was!” Dara argued. “Is it a bad thing?”

“Yes it is. I hope she doesn’t like him. He’s a playboy.”

“Seo said he’s not as bad as the reports made him out to be. She’s a good judge of character.”

“He’s a client.”

“And when he isn’t a client anymore will you be more accepting?”

“No.”

“Dangshin– you’ve said no to more than a dozen young men who’ve expressed interest in your sister. You’re as bad as Samchon and you’re worse than Thunder. No one will ever be good enough for Seo. She’ll die an old maid!” Dara lay back on the pillows – now truly irritated with her fiancé.

“I just don’t want her hurt again.” He mutters and lies back down.

“People get hurt.  Even those you love dearly Choi Seung Hyun. That’s part of living. It’s been 10 years since Seo has even shown the slightest hint of even liking someone. If she and that idol have something between them she’ll let us know in time. She’s old enough.” Dara turns and faces her fiancé.

TOP just looks at her and sighing pulls her into his arms. “I’ll pull her out of that assignment.”

“Don’t you dare – you don’t have proof. I’ll quarrel with you.” Dara’s words were muffled against his chest.

“I never win.” He kisses the top of her head.

Dara kisses his chest and settles down to sleep.  She reminds herself to pin down Seo for a talk.

Twenty minutes after she left her Oppa’s house – Seo enters her small apartment with Dubu. She sends a text to her Oppa that she got home safely.

She gives her dog water and fixes her living room. She was avoiding looking at all the messages on her phone. She goes to the bathroom and removes her clothes.  She sighs deeply as the warm water hits her tired body. The effects of her struggle with the fake pizza delivery man were just beginning. Seo would be sore by morning. But it was something she as used to.

After her shower she puts the Taser and hand gun inside her bedside drawer. She reaches down and gives Dubu pat on the head. Sighing and unable to postpone the inevitable Seo opens her phone messages.

She had about 8 from Yonghwa, 3 from Thunder and 2 from Jungshin.

She opened Thunder’s messages first and read them.  He was inquiring how she was and if she got a scolding from TOP. The next message said he didn’t fit into the sofa and that he missed sleeping in his studio. Third was that Yonghwa was still awake.

Why would Thunder need to tell her that? Unless he’d noticed.

Seo shook her head. She knew Thunder – he wouldn’t tell TOP or Samchon or even Lee Joon about it until he talked about it with her. Seo made a mental note to call him as soon as she woke up the next day.

The messages from Jungshin were sweet and funny.  He thanked her again for being there for him and he expressed his concern that she would be scolded because Jungshin had pushed her into Yonghwa’s room. He ended his message with a cute sticker saying that he misses her.

Yonghwa’s messages contained the same question and the same request.  If she was okay and if she could respond to his texts.

Seo read all his messages one by one and saved them in a folder she set up just for him on her phone. That folder even had a password – his birthday.

She also had one voice mail – also from Yonghwa. Seo sat up and listened.

“Jagiya – I know you got into trouble with your Oppa by going into my room. Mian – I don’t ever want you be scolded on my account. I know you can’t answer my texts just yet but I want you to know that you made me very happy by telling me that I am your person. I am very grateful that you’ve let me into your heart. You won’t regret it. Promise.”

Seo smiled and replayed the message 3 times before saving it. She sends Yonghwa a text.

I’m home now. I didn’t get scolded a lot and I can handle Oppa. I can’t be with you for the next days because I have to give my deposition to the police. I know you’re busy so rest and go to sleep now – Seo

Her text was answered very quickly.

Can I talk to you? – Yong Oppa

Before Seo could even text a reply he was already calling.

“Jagiya how are you?”

“I told you I am fine. About to go to sleep.”

“That’s good. Go to sleep.”

“You go to sleep too.”

“You know my schedule tomorrow right?”

“Arayo – I know it.”

“Can you call me when you’re free?”

“I can’t. I will be in the police station with TOP Oppa and when we’re finished we’ll go back to the agency to meet with Samchon.”

“When will I see you?”

“You’ll be in at MBC studio then a radio program in the afternoon at night the Levi’s jeans launch. Tomorrow you have your drama shoot. For the third day…”

“You don’t need you to recite my schedule Seo. There are assistants for that. I am asking when I can see you – not the other way around.” He sounded cross.

“As soon as my agency says that I can go back to the assignment.”

“Seo – I don’t like you thinking that I’m an assignment.” He was definitely cross.

“I –“Seo was at a loss for words. “I am assigned to you.”

“Which I am eternally grateful for – but would it hurt to say that you miss me?”

“I’ll know where you are every time in the next coming days. And you call and text me.”

“But you don’t call and text me. How am I your person?”

“You know personal calls are limited.” Seo replies.

Silence.

Seo counted up to ten before she gave in.

“Alright – I’ll text you when I get back to the agency. How’s that?” Seo found herself placating him.  Why she would do this she didn’t know.

“I’ll wait. I won’t text you until you text me first.” He responds. “I won’t call either. You have to miss me.”

“Goodnight – sleep well.”

“Good night sleep well – what?” He asks.

“Good night sleep well Yong Oppa.”

“Sleep well jagiya. I’ll miss you and I want you beside me soon.” His voice was soft and tender. Seo felt her heart melt.

Seo slept hugging her phone.

The next day was spent in the police station. TOP Oppa was beside her when she gave her disposition and when the detectives questioned her again.  They also listened into the interrogation of the suspect and they were joined by L.  Again the same description was given – tall, skinny, pale but there was a difference – the person who contracted the suspect is male.

 The suspect definitely identified him as a flower boy. 

“With the proper make up and clothes he can easily blend into the fans that usually surround CNBlue’s events.” Seo remarked.

“How does he keep up with CNBlue’s activities – I get the publicly announced events but Yonghwa’s visit to Busan and Jungshin ordering Pizza from a specific pizza delivery company?” The detective asks them.

“One or all of mobiles phones were cloned.” L answered.  “Plus, CNBlue has a chat line between the 4 of them and their managers – it is possible that the stalker has hacked into that and is monitoring the activities.”

“As their security provider – we’re now in the middle of changing all their phones and having more secure lines. Myungsoo is currently monitoring all calls and tracing those that are not listed or suspicious.” TOP told the detectives.

“The possibility of having someone in FNC providing information to this stalker is something that we are currently investigating very quietly.  Han Sajangnim didn’t want anyone fostering ill feelings towards CNBlue because of this. We have one person doing this within the company – per department and so far we haven’t found any connection yet.” L informed the group.

 “So you have someone inside FNC that’s not from your security agency?” The detectives asked.

“Yes we do. Only I and our CEO know the identity of the person – but it is a person who has great skills and very tech savvy.” TOP told them. “When the connection is established and we are sure that this is what is happening we will let you know and the names will be submitted to you.”

“I believe you told CNBlue that as their enlistment gets nearer the more this stalker will try to harm them specifically Jung Yonghwa. Our laboratory has confirmed that the d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter