A New Destiny

Dark Side of the Moon

Arwen opened her eyes to the morning light that peeked through her blinds.  She blinked and turned her head away.  "Whoa, it's really bright this morning," she thought.

"Arwen!" she heard her mother's voice.  "Can you go out to the store and get some milk for me?"

"Sure, Mom!" she called back and shot out of bed.

She washed her face and pulled her hair back neatly.  She gathered her bag and her wallet while she was brushing her teeth.  Once that was done, she walked into her closet and pulled on a cute winter sweater and a pair of dark jeans.  She walked down the stairs and out the door, saying goodbye to her mother as she left. 

Outside, her ears opened to the sounds of the cars zooming around and the morning birds chirping in the crisp spring air.  For once in her life, she actually felt at ease.

Suddenly, a bike zoomed by, causing her to lose her balance.  She spun and was about to hit the cement when a boy appeared out of nowhere and caught her.  They gazed into each other’s eyes.  The boy had sandy-blond hair swept over his forehead, and his eyes were a light, transparent brown.  She gaped in awe slightly, but after about a second, she shook her head and stood up. 

"Thanks," she breathed, awkwardly tucking her loose hair behind her ear.

"I found you," he said.  "I can't believe I found you."

Arwen looked around.  "Uhh, found who?"

"You," he said simply. 

"What are you talking about?" she furrowed her eyebrows with confusion.  "I don't even know you."

"Yeah, but I know you," the boy said.  "Wait, what am I doing?  I have to call the others!"

"What ‘others’?" she asked.  Before she knew it, there were eleven other boys standing in front of her.  "Whoa."

A boy with feathery-brown hair stepped forward with tears in his eyes and hugged her tightly.  “Arwen.”

“How do you know my name?” she wheezed slightly.

He pulled back.  “I’m your guardian, along with the rest of EXO here.”

“EXO?  Guardian?” her head was spinning with confusion.  “Stop being so confusing and tell me who you are!”

The brown-haired boy cocked his head.  “I told you.  We’re your guardians.”

A boy with bushy eyebrows stepped forward.  “Okay, now, let’s introduce ourselves.  I’m Kris.”  A silver pendant around his neck glowed.

“Oh,” the brown-haired boy nodded with understanding.  “I’m Baekhyun.”

“I’m Tao,” the sandy-blond boy said.

“I’m Suho,” another boy said.

“Hey, I’m Kai,” the next boy winked.

“Hai, I’m Chen!” the boy next to Kai waved with a large smile.

“I’m Lay,” a boy smiled, revealing his deep dimples.

“I’m Xiumin,” the next boy said.

“Hi, I’m Chanyeol,” a boy with a deep, robust voice said.

“I’m Luhan,” a gorgeous-looking boy said.

“Hello, I’m Sehun,” the boy next to him greeted with a slight lisp.

“I’m D.O.,” a boy with wide eyes said.

“Oh,” Arwen stood there with her eyes as wide as his.  “I guess you all know me…”

“Yup,” Baekhyun chimed.  “You’re the rightful ruler of our world.”

“Your ‘world’?  You’re aliens?” she asked.

“Naw, more like werewolves,” Kris shrugged.

“Oh,” Arwen nodded, though she couldn’t comprehend the fact that the beautiful boys in front of her were things like werewolves.  Her head started to pound with more confusion.  “I still don’t understand,” she said truthfully.

Kris finally took a step forward and had her sit down in a bench.  He pulled her sleeve up to reveal her birthmark on her right shoulder, which seemed unimportant to her until now. 

“You’re the ruler of our world, as Baekhyun said.  You were born with a great destiny,” he said.  “That all ended when we had to send you away.  Things were going downhill, and it was really unsafe for you.  People tried to kill you.  You had great power that made everyone fearful of you…and us as well.

I suggested sending you to the human world here, but the others disagreed.  I could understand why; I mean, it’s really unsafe.  There was no other option.  We…we missed you a lot.”

Arwen nodded as she took everything in.  “So, my mom isn't my mom?”

“She is,” Baekhyun intervened.  “Actually, we’re basically your parents too.  Back when you were born, well, you actually weren’t born.  You came to our world in a meteorite.  We had no idea where you came from, so we took you to our master.  He was so shocked to see you; he nearly fell over.  He gave us a prophecy that you would be the next ruler of our world, and that there would be multiple troubles along the way.

Ever since then, we took care of you.  You were so cute!” he squealed.

Arwen turned a deep shade of pink.  “So…”

“We’re here to take you back,” Tao awkwardly coughed.  “Times have been getting worse.  A battle is coming.”

“I…” she paused.  She had nothing to lose, no friends to say goodbye to.  “Let me just say bye to my mom, please.” 

She got up suddenly and started walking back towards her apartment with the boys trailing behind her like a family of ducks.  She received weird and jealous looks from all the spectators at the side of the road, but she ignored them and started climbing the stairs of her apartment building.

"Mom, I'm home!" she called as she entered the door.

Her mother, sitting on the couch reading a fat book looked up.  "Hey sweet- oh my," she gasped.  "Who are these fine gentlemen?"

Arwen looked behind her to see EXO standing awkwardly in the kitchen.  "Uhhh, they're…friends."

"Oh."

"Mom?"

"Hm?

"I...I have to go."

"Go where?"

"Back to where I came from."

"Oh?"

Kris stepped forward, "Miss, it's time."

Her mother nodded and looked at Arwen.  "These boys gave you to me when you were an infant.  They wanted me to keep you safe."  She sniffed.  "Stay safe, my angel."

"Oh, Mom!" the girl exclaimed and hugged her tightly.

Arwen finally stepped out of the apartment crying next to the concerned boys.

"It'll be okay, Arwen," Baekhyun threw his arm around her as they walked to a forest just outside of the city.

She sobbed quietly into his arms as they continued walking.  She felt his heart pound loudly.

"We're here," Kris said as they approached an odd looking tree.  It was a particularly small tree with weird etchings on its bark.  The etchings started to glow as Kris put his hand on it.  "Come on," he gestured to Arwen and the rest of the boys. 

She felt herself being lifted in the air and set down lightly on a patch of grass.  She looked around.  "Where are we?"