Sharpening Claws

Dark Side of the Moon

A howl sounded, causing Arwen and Baekhyun to break apart.  Luhan stood up from the couch, his eyes glistening with fear.  They heard a holler upstairs.

“Guys!” Kris shouted as he flew down the stairs.  “We have to get ready!”

The late afternoon sun blazed through the window as Arwen and the boys gathered on the couches in the living room.  They waited with baited breath as Kris took his seat.

"They're gonna attack anytime soon," Kris said quietly.  "We need to be prepared."

Silence.

Arwen's stomach flipped.  Would this possibly involve the outcome of the prophecy?

"We need to train a bit," he continued.  "Our skills have gotten a bit faulty, and they've probably been preparing since months ago."

The rest of them nodded. 

--

They ate their lunch in silence.  D.O. looked at everyone with concern.

"Is it okay?" he asked.

Everyone briefly nodded.  He sighed and sat back in his seat. 

At last, everyone finished.  They sat there, hopelessly silent, until Kris finally got up.

"Let's head to the basement," he instructed as he put his dish away.

--

"Okay, let's pair up," Kris said.  "I'll be with Arwen and Baekhyun, Kai can be with D.O., Luhan...okay, you can be with Sehun...everyone else, divide up."

"I've never seen Kris like this," Baekhyun whispered in Arwen's ear as the trio settled to train in a corner. 

She raised her eyebrows.  "Really?  You guys seem used to it, though."

"That was until-"

"Baekhyun," Kris called.

"Uh, sorry," he stammered.  His face grew serious.  "Let's go."

"Arwen, we'll team up against you," Kris explained as he and Baekhyun transformed.

She transformed as well and nodded.  With a cry, Kris came galloping up.  She quickly analyzed his movements and adjusted her lean, wolf-body to swiftly dodge it.  She whirled around to see Baekhyun dashing up behind her.  She flung her body around and over his, landing square on her feet.

"Come on," she growled.

Kris smirked and unsheathed his claws slightly.  He ran forward with his paws extended, trying to scratch her side.  She reared her body up against his and tripped his hind legs, making him fall clumsily to the floor.  She looked up to see Baekhyun leaping through the air into her side.  They tumbled on the ground and slammed into the wall, groaning with pain.  He put his paws neatly on her shoulders, pinning her down.  She growled and hoisted herself on top of him.  He struggled and thrashed, but her grip was firm.

"Okay, okay, you win!" he exclaimed.

She smiled and helped him up, wincing ever so slightly from her side smashing into the wall.  She laid her hand on her hip, and the pain immediately disappeared. 

"You okay?" Kris came trotting up.

"Yeah," she shrugged.

"That was great!" Baekhyun's eyes were filled with admiration. 

"Thanks," she smiled.

Kris nodded.  "Lets work on our powers," he said.  The couple nodded.

--

As the group came out of the roomy basement, another howl was heard from outside.  Arwen's muscles tensed with adrenaline pumping through her veins.  Her heart pounded rapidly and loudly.

"They're coming," Kris breathed, shocked.