Ghost Wolf

Dark Side of the Moon

As the morning sun kissed the clouds, Kris walked outside into the garden.  The air smelled…different.  Almost like death.  He looked around cautiously, but nothing was in sight. 

The gravel of the trail crunched under the weight of his feet as he walked through the garden.  Fat, yellow bees buzzed through his hair.  The flowers stretched to touch the warm, morning sunlight. 

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”  Kris turned to see his brother standing there.

“Indeed,” Kris nodded cordially.

Jae walked with one foot placed carefully in front of the other.  “Enjoy it while it lasts.”

“Why did you have to turn?”

His brother’s face darkened.  “You know.”

Kris shook his head.  “I did my best to help you.  You would’ve been the best in the pack.”

“I told you.  Your kind killed our parents,” Jae snapped.

“It was an accident.”

“Pretty accidental for a murder, if you ask me.”

“Jae,” Kris warned.

“What?” Jae’s eyes filled with tears.  "Don't deny it."

Kris' head buzzed.  He knew, deep down inside, that Jae was right.  He spent his entire life trying to convince himself that it was all a dream, an accident, ever since he joined EXO.  His parents were killed by not just anybody, but his own kind, his pack history.  His parents were jerks, though. 

"Have you ever thought about why they were killed in the first place?" Kris shot. 

Jae was silent. 

"They were idiots," Kris continued.  "They basically taught other people that death and murder was considered 'okay'.  They taught us that!  What parents teach their children that murder is acceptable?"

"Shut up," Jae's eyes were red and puffy.  "If you loved them, you would've forgiven them by now.  What son torments their parents after they died?"

"Me," Kris replied.  "They know what they did, even if they're not living to tell their tale."

"How dare you," Jae growled.  His eyes turned a bright shade of red.  "You're not even half the alpha Father was."

"Don't bring my pack position into this," Kris warned.  "And don't ever compare me to Father again."

Jae snickered.  "Afraid to admit your flaws, dear brother?"

"No, I wear them with pride," a soft growl started to build up in his throat. 

Jae twitched.  "You think your so great and powerful...Father was the real hero..."

"What if I am?" Kris interrupted.  "He wasn't a hero at all, more like a coward."

"Don't call him a coward!" Jae screeched.

"Why not?" Kris shrugged.  "I know there's a little voice in your head urging you to do the same."

Jae shook his head angrily.  "You just wait, brother.  I will destroy everything you hold dear.  Just watch."  His eyes closed, and he disappeared.

Kris sighed shakily and went back inside.

--

"You okay?" Tao asked as Kris walked inside.  "You look like you're dying."

Kris shrugged.  "Sure."

Tao shot him a look of suspicion.  "I doubt it," he thought.

Kris sighed and plopped down in the chair next to him.  "Jae came.  We talked.  That's all."

"That's all?" Tao's eyes widened.  "Your own brother came and would've killed you, and all you can say is 'that's all'?"

"I really don't care," Kris shrugged and snatched an apple from the bowl of fruit on the table.

Tao looked down.  Kris had never acted this way.  Something must've happened; he felt it.

At that moment, Baekhyun walked in.  He glanced at Tao, and then looked away.

"Good morning," Baekhyun grumbled.

Kris looked up at him.  "Well look who woke up on the wrong side of the bed."

Baekhyun shook his head.  Tao remained silent.

"Did...something...go on...that...I...don't necessarily know about?" the alpha asked, faltering slightly.

Baekhyun's scowl grew deeper.  "I guess."

Tao looked away guiltily.  "Huh," he grunted.

At that moment, Arwen walked in.  Even though she looked sleepy, her hair was fluffy and neat.  Her face wasn't as beautifully clean as Luhan's, but it glowed with an unusual radiance.  The boys couldn't help but gaping.

She looked at them weirdly.  "What, is there something on my face?" 

"Uh, no," Kris smiled and shook his head.

"Naw," Baekhyun smiled brightly.

"Nope," Tao smiled.

Her weird look stayed plastered in her face.  "O-okay."

Baekhyun put his arms around her shoulders and steered her outside.  She sneezed as a small snowflake tickled her nose.  The light layers of snow on the ground glistened rainbows in the sunlight.

"It's snowing," she squeaked excitedly.

He smiled and squeezed her shoulders.  "Our seasons are a bit different out here."

She looked into his eyes with wonder in hers.  Her lips smiled sweetly.  "I've never seen snow before," she gazed at the forming snow mounds on the lawn.

He smiled widely, his teeth as white as the falling snow.

--

"I wish everyday was like this," Arwen sighed next to Baekhyun as they lay in the snow staring at the mid day sky.

"Me too," he chuckled.

"I want to live in a world only filled with happiness," she whispered.  "The thing I hate the most is death."

"Well, everyone hates death," Baekhyun pointed out.  "Everyone except Jae."

There was a sudden rustling in the bushes.  The couple sat up fast to see a pair of green eyes.  Arwen relaxed a little.  At least they weren't Jae's beady red ones.

"Arwen?" a voice called out.

It sounded vaguely familiar.  Arwen squinted her eyes.  "It can't be..."

The wolf stepped out and transformed.

"M-Min Joon?"

The boy nodded.  He seemed taller than she remembered.  His skin was mocha-brown like hers, his jet black hair swept neatly over his forehead.  He was dressed in black.

"Yeah, it's me," he said.  "Arwen."

"Min Joon?" she asked with teary eyes.  "Is it really...you?"

The boy looked down at himself.  "Well, sort of."

She cocked her head.  Baekhyun gasped slightly and threw a pebble at the boy's feet.  It fell through, his image flickering slightly.

"You're a ghost wolf," he breathed.

"Yeah," Min Joon nodded. 

"Are you an angel?" she asked.

He laughed a hearty laugh.  "I guess you can say that.  I'm actually your spiritual wolf.  A ghost wolf."

"What does that mean?"

"I watch over you in the spiritual world," he explained.  "I kept a lot of secrets from you, and for that, I'm sorry.  I became a werewolf so I could better protect you while you were with Mom."

"Why did you die then?" she asked with tears in her eyes.  "Why?"

"Every creature has its own time," he smiled warmly.  "I miss you.  You grew so much."

"I cried for months," she gazed into his eyes.

"I know," he gazed back with his piercing green eyes.

"Do you know Jae?" she asked.

"What, the idiot?" he snorted.  "He's always making disruptions in the spiritual world."

"Do you know about the prophecy?" Baekhyun asked.

Min Joon looked at him.  "I know a lot more than you think."

 

************

Even though you may never read this...

Happy birthday, Luhannie!  We all love you a lot  :)  

You're so cute, lovable, and gorgeous...don't ever change!  <3

 

 

Please continue praying for Korea!  :'(