Be Brave

Dark Side of the Moon

Arwen's head spun.  Her brother was her spirit wolf.  Her older brother.  Her role model.  Her normal brother.  He's the one who gave her those horrendous dreams about death.  "The future," he called it.  Was it really the future?  Doubts flowed through her mind as she sat on a bench in the garden.  The snow melted around her.

"Arwen?" Kris came out with his teeth chattering.  "Jeez, it's cold!  You're gonna get sick!"

She looked at him and then looked back at the flower that lay in her palm. 

"What happened?" Kris saw her saddened expression.

Without looking up, she murmured, "I'm just...thinking."

"About what?"

"I saw my brother for the first time in seven years.  He's my spirit wolf."

Kris hummed.  "I thought he would be."

She faced him.  "You knew?"

"Yeah," he shrugged.  "He was strong for a human.  He gave up his normal life to protect you."

She nodded.  It was true.  He sacrificed so much for her.

"He knew about everything.  You.  Our situation.  Jae," he listed.  "He was basically our pack member."

She nodded again.  "I'm still a bit shocked.  Every single day from the day he died, I thought he was dead and living up there."  She pointed to the stars.  "But it turns out he's living here."  She gestured to her heart.

Kris nodded.  "Quite true.  All of our spirit wolves live in us once they pass."

"Do you have one?" she asked curiously.

He nodded.  "My brother."

"Oh," she looked down at her hands. 

"Yup," he continued, and took the flower from her hands.  He twirled it around with his fingers.  "We were a set.  An inseparable pair."

"Will it ever change?"

"Probably not."

"Hm," she nodded.  "I saw you talking to Jae this morning."

Kris stiffened.  "Oh, yeah, uh," he grunted.  "I did."

"About what?"

"We argue a lot."

"About-?"

"Arwen," he interrupted, setting her back.  Seeing her shocked expression, he looked down and shook his head.  "Sorry, it's just that...I've never talked about it to anyone.  It gets me really uncomfortable."

She nodded submissively.  "I understand."

"Let's go inside," he stuck the flower into his pocket and pulled her up and walked with her back inside. 

--

"Thanks," Arwen smiled at Kris as he held the door open for her. 

She sighed and collapsed on the couch.  Her mind was engulfed in the world of sleep.

--

"Min Joon," she whispered.

"I'm here," he said as he stood in front of her.

"Don't go," she was crying.  She had no idea why.  "Please."

"You'll know what to do," he touched her cheek gently.  "Be brave."

She let out a sob and sank to the ground.  He knelt there beside her.  "What do I do?"

"Be brave, little sister," his voice faded and his image evaporated.

"Min Joon!" she called out.  "Min Joon!"

There was no reply.

She quickly wiped her tears with the back of her hand and stood.  She sighed shakily and walked down the path.  A scream split through her ears, and she immediately started to run.

"Baekhyun!" she cried.  "Baekhyun, where are you?"

She turned a corner to see the poor boy slammed into a wall, struggling painfully.

"Nice of you to drop by," Jae turned his head, though his hand remained around Baekhyun's throat.  "I was just about to kill him."

His nails dug deeper into Baekhyun's throat.  The poor boy whimpered with pain as blood drenched his neck.

"Let him go," her voice rang. 

Jae chuckled. 

The evil laugh rang in her ears as she sat up on the couch.  She massaged her temples and rubbed her eyes tiredly.  "It's just another dream," she said to herself.  "Just another dream."

The leaves rustled against the window outside.  The wind moaned against the castle.  The morning sun had not risen quite yet. 

"Oh, Min Joon, why must you do this to me?" she sighed as she lay back down, too lazy to crawl into her bed upstairs.

--

Luhan came down the stairs to see Arwen sleeping curled up on the couch.  Her eyes were slightly puffy, as if she had been crying. 

Suddenly, she let out a loud wail and sat up, alarmed.  Luhan rushed to her side. 

“Is everything okay?” he looked into her blue eyes.

She sniffed.  “Nightmares.  I’ve been having them all night.”

“What happened?” Baekhyun barged into the room.

“Nightmare,” Luhan explained.

Arwen got up and hugged Baekhyun tightly.  His eyes widened a bit.  “Uh, Arwen?”

Her shoulders shook.  “I’m scared.”

“Sh,” he ran his fingers through her hair.  “We’re here.”

--

Jae watched in disgust from the window as Baekhyun slowly put his arms around Arwen’s petite shoulders.  He spat at the cement, burning a hole through it. 

“Huh, kids,” he snorted.  “I’ll give you a real show.”