챕터7; Surprise, surprise

Confessions of a bachelorette

After Hoya had confessed to me two years ago, and after I had rejected his heart, I never thought that I would actually have anyone who would feel intrigued by me. I wasn’t the brightest kid out there, nor was I the prettiest. I liked to talk a lot which was not anything nice of a girl and I was the very worse in dressing department; all in all, I was not the typical girl-next-door that people would fall for, in other words, I was no Song Naeun who got all the guys on a daily basis. I didn’t know how I could define myself though. However, I could clearly state this with certainty that I was not the kind to intrigue anyone, nor was I able to capture anyone’s attention. I was just…ordinary.

Yet the letter from this secret admirer of mine (Which I was still trying to believe) made me think otherwise.

Maybe I could be more than I already was.

His letter was simple, words were deep and told me every word that I had wanted to hear to heal my paining heart. In all honesty, I couldn’t figure out whom he might be, nor what he truly saw in me to feel intrigued, but the way he saw right through and touched that sensitive hurting depth of my heart was implausible; it was as though he were someone who had known me for so long. Reading it, I felt so close to him, so close to whoever he was, as though he was whispering all of it to me as we sat under the stars, waiting for the time to pass by. Of course, this was a strange thought, because he had left me another mystery to solve and I was there already thinking he was someone I knew and I was so close to, without even taking my chances to find out whom he was.

Maybe I should not, not yet, not this soon, because I, in all honesty, wanted to feel the fresh, soothing sensation of being someone’s reason to feel intrigued and bury myself deep in it until he, himself would come along on his own will and rescue me.

I wasn’t upset that I had a secret admirer now, to be honest, I was happy, because I wanted to heal my heart, although it was still, still beating for someone who would never hear it.

This was how I felt about he whose intrigued by me. The person I loved, though, had his perception sporting an idea from the other end of the spectrum from I.

“He’s expecting something” Myung Soo commented when I had told him what the content of the letter was about. We were sitting outside the lecture hall, indulging our recess allowing the gentle spring breeze kiss our cheeks and the sunlight play ripples in our vision, I could see colors forming at the back of my eyes yet I didn’t care, for the wind was refreshing. Myung Soo was sitting on the floor beside me, on a sashay of drinking yogurt with his notes spread before him, I wasn’t doing anything but feeding him with the info he wanted to know, although I knew they meant nothing to him.

“You think?” I asked, nonchalantly, looking out at the lawn before us. In fact, I had no intention to tell Kim Myung Soo about this whole secret admirer’s ordeal; but when I was dazed during class and when he asked, well, my big mouth had to tell him that someone had me thinking, he wanted to know whom he was.

He chuckled in retort. “I know so, Eunji, I’m a man myself”

I snorted. “Eh? Then you must be expecting things when you snuggle letters into those pretty girls’ bags”

“Well…not always but-,”

I didn’t want to hear the rest that I carried on. “Besides, Myung Soo, you, as a literature student, should see the literary value of it. Don’t you feel it? The words are so deep…”

“I don’t, I didn’t see it”

I didn’t let him read it, because I didn’t want him to know the entire story. “Fine” I said, giving up. Of course I didn’t find any reason to continue this conversation with him because I knew he had no value in it. “I don’t care what you think, it’s not your problem anyway”

I knew I was sounding too harsh on him, but then again, here was a man who didn’t acknowledge my feelings though I had been really obvious of them in his eyes, telling me how he had misinterpreted the sincere words of another; didn’t I have all the reasons to lose my temper? Because feelings were nothing simple to take as granted as far as I saw it.

He was eyeing me strangely as I proceeded to gather my things. “Why? You’re mad? Omo! You like that guy already?”

I rolled my eyes. “Is it for you to care?”

“Of course!” He said, a strange whiny tone underlying in his voice. “We’re best friends, and I tell you everything”

“Oh…you do?” I asked sarcastically; referring to his new girlfriend scandal.

He sighed. “Look, I will introduce her to you soon, okay? Then we have no secrets”

“Sure…suit yourself” I said, getting to stand up. “But it’s still not of yours to be concerned about my personal life”

“Love life you mean” He corrected, to which I threw him a cold glare. “Not really….not those I have but you, Myung Soo”

He didn’t reply to that though; and I could feel his icy cold glare burning holes on my back with those deep, dark alluring eyes I loved. I always thought they were the epitome of honesty; but thinking now, I realized, they simply weren’t.

“By the way” I began, all before I made it to return to the hall. “I’ve done your laundry. Come and get it whenever you want to”

 

 

Later that day Myung Soo proudly announced it to me that he were, yet again playing hooky on the evening lectures. I didn’t know what had gotten into him and what good this new relationship and his attitude was doing to him, but for a certainty I knew that he was somehow, tarnishing his ever-so-alluring noble student prestige. And of course my snail works of notes would never get him through the exams.

“Cool” I said, not minding him staring down at me as though I were the one planning to run away. “Have fun”

“You’re not going to stop me?” He asked, amused. I rolled my eyes. “Hey, why would I? You love birds need your time to fly and nest”

“Don’t imagine, we’re not doing anything”

“Sure, sure” I said, smiling a little as I patted lightly on his arm. “Suit yourself, flower boy”

He seemed troubled though, and eyed me worriedly as though I had gone insane. “Buy you’re not stopping me? Asking to join even?”

I made a face. “Why would I?”

“Well you always do?”

I sighed. “Now I don’t?”

“But you’re taking the notes right?”

I shook my head. “I’m going home…something came up”

It was his turn to sigh, and looking deeply down at be, he placed his hand on my shoulder. “Eunji…you’re not yourself”

But of course, I didn’t wish to be too transparent. I was in a sensitive situation, truly, but the last thing I wanted was to let Myung Soo know that the reason for my disposition was actually himself. I forced a smile. “Hey, I’m okay…I’m just tired…”

“You’re mad at me aren’t you?”

I shook my head.

“You’re lying to me”

Shaking my head I did, to which he sighed in response and placed both his hands on my shoulders, momentarily, my heart skipped a beat. These were the moments where I didn’t want to push him anymore, these were the moments where I actually realize that he was the man that I primly fell in love with.

“Eunji…I’m sorry about what I said before…I’ll make it up to you, okay?”

I ventured out a soft chuckle. “You did nothing wrong!”

He sighed in return. “I did…and that was so bull…and about her, I’ll introduce her to you soon, I promise….its just, I guess I’m not ready yet…”

Flattered at his words, and feeling a massive knot of pure guilt form in my throat, I nodded away. “It’s nothing, Myung Soo…I sounded too harsh, that was so bull too…and about her, take all the time you need”

At this, he made a tiniest curl on his lips. “So you are not mad?”

“I’m not”

“You’re still going home?”

I laughed. “Of course! I’m tired after doing your laundry!”

“Uh oh…okay then…” He said with a hint of amusement and stepped away. “I should go now…she must be waiting”

And with that, followed by a quick wave he soon made it to the front door. I just stood there then wondering who could have caught his heart and who might be still living through his terribly unnerving OCD persona, and the craziest thought came into my mind.

This thought, this crazy thought of mine told him that I should follow him and find out who it was.

 

Without wasting any more of my time, I pulled on my beanie and took off running. Since Myung Soo took all the time he needed to roam the corridors throwing his signature smile at every girl out there, making them swoon to no end, he couldn’t have gone so far; and all I had to do was keep my cover and follow after his steps to wherever he was headed to. This girl couldn’t stay secret forever, and I had all the rights to unveil it to myself.

Neither the corridors nor the streets in the college vicinity were crowded that I could follow after him while keeping a fair distance between us. Myung Soo, of course couldn’t feel a thing about him being followed since he was fully immersed in his phone and walked as slow as an elderly turtle, I on the other hand had to keep on hiding behind walls and people to keep my cover. Following him, after all wasn’t as easy as I thought.

It was when we had finally reached the main street that the difficulty level raised in spite of the crowd. It was around four in the evening and minutes before a downpour that people were hurriedly scurrying off to their houses, I almost missed him when suddenly he stopped in the middle of the road to speak to someone. I couldn’t see who exactly it was since they were not quite in my visible distance and this other person was covered by a lamp post. I released a weary sigh. Finding Myung Soo’s mystery girl was far most the worst job I had ever done.

A few minutes later he bid his good bye to the other person and suddenly took off on the opposite direction. I panicked in return, and simply scurried off to one of the shops around and hid myself behind a wall. After all I had done, I could not lose my chances and get caught by Kim Myung Soo for following him to see his so-called new girlfriend at any cost.

Within my earshot I could hear boisterous laughter which I immediately recognized as his, there was a light chuckle following his which I couldn’t quite pin-point; however, out of reflex, I pressed myself against the wall, keeping my ears out in alarm of any kind of close approach. Truly, I didn’t want him to come and hog it on my face as to how much of an incompetent ‘best friend’ I was, although I wasn’t sure since when I were Kim Myung Soo’s this best friend.

The laughter died and the lowly murmur of them died under the mundane noise coming from the street and by instinct when I realized that his presence was no longer around, and when seconds had passed by I took my time to turn around and continue chasing him when suddenly-

I was greeted warmly with a hot cup of a beverage thrown over my chest and shoulders; it was so hot that my first instinct was to hop and wriggle in horror since the last thing I wanted were blisters and ugly scars all over my most precious places, the next was to swear at whoever who decided it was for the best to pour his beverage right down my body.

“Oh! ! !! I’m so sorry!!”

The voice was way too familiar along with the breezy scent of apples and spring, I realized, the person was way, way too familiar to suit my liking, in fact, it was the very person I would have expected to put me into such great distress.

“You-Ahjussie!?!”

He gawked down at me with wide opened eyes, still gripping onto the now-half-empty paper cup in his hand.

“Jung Eunji-Ssi…”

I rolled my eyes. “I wouldn’t be surprised! Do you realize what you just did? Ahjussie?”

He struggled to find his words as he dipped his hands into his blazer pocket. “I-I’m truly sorry, I didn’t realize-,”

It was then that I saw that he too had a massive patch of the beverage on his shirt;

And I almost chocked on my words. Since I was wearing darker clothing I couldn’t exactly make out what it was although I could figure out it a beverage of tea with my fair knowledge gained from working at Sung Yeol’s by the mere aroma of it, seeing the blotch of beverage though, on his clean white shirt I simply realized what it was.

Green tea latte.

For a moment I couldn’t find my voice, stuck and withered in my delusional mind, trying to waver it off how crazy I was being. It was ‘hot’ green tea latte, I mused to myself. It’s not iced green tea latte, it’s not what Myung Soo loved; it’s the total opposite of what he loved.

Kim Sung Gyu was not the one who ordered it the last time, he just couldn’t be. He wasn’t the one who set my heart on fire.

Without any former warning, Sung Gyu dragged me by my hand to the nearest shop which apparently had a resident aquarium, took a handful of water and splashed it on my clothes.

“What the-?”

“Cold water helps…” he breathed out as I tried to analyze what just happened. Kim Sung Gyu, by hook or by crook would bend his mistakes into reasons, and I realized, he was dangerous, he was the kind I was bound to avoid.

Although something eccentric keep me running into his walking-talking devastation self.

And to cover for what he did, he soon took off the coffee brown blazer he was wearing, threw it over my drenched body and gave me a smile, yet, in all honesty, at the back of my head I was planning all the ways to kill him, because out of all the moments he chose this very moment where I was chasing my one love to see who had apparently caught his heart, to come by and be an utter nuisance and raise my anger. Kim Sung Gyu, funnily had been able to keep a significant mark on me that I remembered his name very well, and was gradually lowering my level of likability towards him out of his own will.

By now, it was zero zip zilch.

“Ahjussie” I said, distressing my words to show him just how irritated I was. “Do you realize what you just did?”

But of course, I bet he had any idea what I was talking about, however that he had reached the limit of my patience, the last thing I wanted to do was to claw at his perfect features and disfigure that very much concerned gaze on me because I couldn’t stand it any longer, I couldn’t stand him being so innocent, gentle and nice every time he had done something seriously unnerving to me, I couldn’t, I just couldn’t stand how much close he seemed to me although he was so so far away.

The exquisite poisonous flower which I was tempted to touch, he was. Kim Sung Gyu was.

“I’m sorry…I truly am, Eunji-Ssi”

I rolled my eyes. “Watch where you’re going?”

“I-I…I didn’t see you coming…”

“Forget it” I said waving him off and peeked over his shoulder at the receding crowd behind him; there was not a single trace of Kim Myung Soo, I sighed in exasperation. “It’s over now”

Him, seeing where I was looking, followed my gaze and returned to gawk at me. “Were you…heading somewhere?”

I shrugged. “I said forget it, Ahjussie…I’m heading home now…”

With that, feeling extremely hollow in my heart that I had lost my chances, I began to retreat and make my way to the nearest bus stop. There wasn’t anything much for me to do, I couldn’t take my lectures in this disposition, I would never concentrate on my work, and Howon wasn’t working either at his mother’s shop tonight that he didn’t want me to go there, I decided to simply head home and contemplate on my petty life and why this person had to merely make things even more miserable than they were, when all of a sudden he held me back by the length of my arm.

“What now?” I asked, irritated, he didn’t seem to take it, instead, he offered me a smile. “Eunji-Ssi, let, me drop you home”

My first instinct was to pull away, not wanting to have anything more to do with him. I tried, really, to not to feel so agitated towards him, for he really was a good person with a sincere genuine smile and honest drivels, but the more he ruined things to me, unintentionally even, I couldn’t get myself to like him, let alone feel pleasured by his offers.

But when he tried again, this time looking deep into my eyes, I couldn’t stop myself, because, strangely I felt as though I was lost in them, and something tugged lightly onto the strings of my heart, I wanted to run away and cower in a corner or bang my head on a wall in utter dismay for I was, yet again, being utterly delusional.

The look in his eyes, it strongly reminded me of him, of Kim Myung Soo.

“Please, Eunji-Ssi…let me make up for my mistakes….”

I stared into his eyes a while longer, and it befuddled me when I tried to find a littlest ounce of Myung Soo in them, and eventually found nothing. I couldn’t form a coherent word to retort to him, momentarily that my simple response was to nod.

The ride in the car was silent; he played music inside which I immediately figured as Nell, since I was quite so familiar with idols and genres of music; he was humming alone, which was truly pacifying to hear, and I, feeling guiltier than ever before fiddled with my fingers, contemplating on all the ways that I could make it up to him.

The truth was, I was honestly trying to get used to being treated kindly, although it seemed to get harder by the day. Sung Gyu was truly such a wonderful person even though he climbed up my nerves without having any intentions to. I knew so, for he really didn’t seem like someone who would hold ill intentions to trouble someone, if he did though, he would never go through so much to make things up for it.

It was then that it suddenly hit me. The other day at the convenient store…

The ambiance inside the car was silent but wasn’t awkward; it was comfortable rather, it felt just natural us being in there, him and I, in his car, it felt strangely natural, although we were complete strangers to each other.

I knew absolutely nothing about Kim Sung Gyu, although the name had a nice ring to it, although I always feel we have known each other before.

I found my audacity to speak up first, my voice cutting through the silence where only his lowly humming to the music was going.

“Sung Gyu-Ssi” I called out, but was careful enough to have my eyes focused out the shutter.

He stopped singing, mid sentenced. “Yeah?”

I cleared my throat before asking; “The other day at the convenient store…”

He urged me to carry on, which I did.

“Was it you….? The piggy…”

The music in the car continued to go on, yet he had stopped singing. His face was straight as though he wished to give away nothing, took his time to contemplate and raised his brows. “What piggy?”

It was strange, but something immediately shattered inside me.

“Oh…” I managed at the end. “Then…” Conversely, though, “The guy at the counter said one of you two picked it for me and paid for my purchases” I quickly reasoned out.

“Really?” He sais, sounding much less concerened. “Both Woohyun and I were in a hurry…so we didn’t…”

“Oh” was all I could manage.

“I’m sorry if we…comfused you, it’s probably the counter guy….and put it on us”

Thinking back, then, it really happened to make sense. Of course they couldn’t have done it, given that we were total strangers and momentarily we weren’t in very good terms, even at that moment Sung Gyu didn’t sound very happy after what I did; I wanted to hit my head on a wall for the umpeteenth time.

Why was I being so delusional all the time?

“Oh…probably then…” I muttered, and soon was the atmosphere inside feel badly thick and awkward. He was watching the road, intently, eyes narrowed in spite of the heavy sunlight. The spring’s sun was no good from the summer’s, probably given that summer was gradually nearing, and it was impossibly warm. I took this time to contemplate on things, things in particular. I though back to how I met him, and ended up sitting here, in his car, heading home as though it was the most natural thing on earth. I thought of Woohyun, the guy with a beautiful voice and a perfectly sculptured nose, I wondered why he hesitated that time when I asked about the piggy pencil; could it have been him who bought it for me? I wondered, although Sung Gyu did sound extremely convincing. He seemed to me to be the honest kind, and of course he had no reason to be lying about such a trivial matter, it was none of his concern, after all.

I thought about the love letter then, I thought of what could have been the fate of the letter I wrote. I recalled the words he wrote and attempted to form his face which was simply futile. His words were simple and deep, and said all that I needed to hear in several simple lines; through it I couldn’t make out his voice, let alone how he looked like. Suddenly I wanted to know him more, suddenly, as crazy as it may sound, I wanted to know if his voice would fit with the person I wanted him to be.

I thought of Myung Soo too, momentarily, because he never seemed to leave that special spot which meant for him in my heart. I thought of his smile, his words and how he held me just earlier this day, and tried to recall how his eyes looked like. I thought back to what he said about strangers.

Then I realized, I had so many strangers revolving around me, yet I wasn’t certain of whom I was holding closer to my heart.

 

We arrived before my house after a few minutes of a lonely ride. I got down, gathering my things and too his blazer along with me since there was a massive blotch of water and green tea on it, I was planning to dry clean it and decently return it to him once we meet. Kim Sung Gyu, though was reluctant to let me serve him.

“It’s just fine, Eunji-Ssi” He was saying, as he stood by his car, trying to send me off. “I can clean it myself, besides it was I who troubled you”

“Good that you know it” I replied and held the coat in my grasp. “But it’s not nice of me to give it to you like this. I’ll clean it and hand it over later”

He stared at me then, his eyes narrowed in spite of the balmy sunrays that they were barely visible; I wanted to know what he was thinking, yet by he state of his eyes I couldn’t read nothing off his mind.

He shrugged in the end. “Alright then…but you just owed yourself a chance to meet me again”

I smirked. “Well, be extra cautious then” to which he laughed in retort. “I will be careful to not to have any tea or sticky pads around…”

“Sure, suit yourself”

He was just about to say goodbye when something began to ring and vibrate in the coat I held which I immediately recognized as his phone. I rolled my eyes; was he that so careless?

“That’s my phone” He pointed out, which I unwillingly fished out and handed over to him. He stared at the screen for a moment and answered in a whim; I didn’t bother to listen to what he was on about, it wasn’t any of my concern, he finished the call with a grave ‘Yes, I’d be there’

And turned to face me. “I will be going then.”

He seemed a little flustered then, and uncomfortable, and I noticed him looking down at the stain of green on his clean white shirt. I observed his attire with heedful eyes, and realized that he was dressed rather courteously as though he was heading for an important occasion; and I had, without a doubt, ruined his approachable appearance.

I heaved a sigh. “Look, Ahjussie…”

“Oh?”

“Are you-were you heading somewhere important?”

“I-ugh” He smiled at me feebly and awkwardly arranged his hair. “Was heading off to where I…work”

I widened my eyes. “Really? Omo”

“Yeah…but don’t worry about it, Eunji-Ssi…I can manage…”

I folded my hands and looked down at the stain. Of course it didn’t look a least bit agreeable; I thought about first impressions, and how my father had made it clear that appearance really mattered.

“You see, it doesn’t look nice…” I looked up and forced out a smile. “I’ll find you something nice for you. Come”

“No” He shook his head in denial. “I think it’s really unnecessary”

“Aigoo” I shook my head in disapproval. “Ahjussie, you think you’re really going for work looking like someone puked on you? Tsk”

“But Eunji-Ssi”

I ignored his pleas and took hold of his wrist. It surprised me, how warm it was, and comfortable, pacifying, as though I had done this so many times.

I didn’t allow myself to be carried away; thus I dragged him into my house.

Since my father was at the music shop, the house was cold, dark and empty. Our place was a little too big for two that it always felt lonely to stay in there for too long; I had figured it along time back that it was the reason why we stayed out most of the time, although it meant that he and I spent less time together. We figured it wasn’t for us to live there in utter boredom, we figured we needed more company, we figure, we both missed mum.

Sung Gyu looked a bit giddy and uncomfortable to enter my house, a norm for a stranger and kept glancing at my hand which held his wrist thus I immediately let go.

“Come along, I can find something good from my appa’s closet”

“Oh” He muttered and scratched his nose before following after me.

Ours was a typical house with three bedrooms and other convenient spaces; we really didn’t require much space although we had more than enough, and my father liked to have Howon over to stay a few nights to stay and play cards so the extra bedroom was basically occupied. He had given me the bigger bedroom since I could fit in my racks and tables and other necessary furniture, he had a smaller one which had basically the bed and old closet, the bed paired with an old bedside stool which occupied all his memories kept in frames with my mother.

I took Sung Gyu to his room and made him take a seat on the bed which he did uncomfortably while I went through the content of my dad’s closet, looking for something suitable.

It was him who spoke first, and I saw him looking into the family photo of us that my father had kept beside his bed.

“Are you the only child, Eunji-Ssi?” He asked, curiously.

“The one and only” I replied.

“Hmm…figures”

“Why?”

He made a light chuckle before he replied. “You’re very aggressive for the age”

I snorted. “I get that a lot”

There was a definite silence between us throughout which I pulled out a several shirts and threw onto the bed.

“You live with your parents?” He asked after a while.

In fact, if this was before, it would have been a very sensitive question. Back then when we were just after the shock of my mother’s death, I would get extra aggressive and make a scene out of it. I remember my father telling everyone else that I had a case of panic attack; however, along the time I grew up, I grew immune to it as well, to the point where I only missed her and understood the fact that she left when fate decided it that it was her cue to leave us.

“With my father…” I said and went through the shirts I had laid on the bed. “My mother died, few years ago. I was only twelve then, long story”

The silence then was inevitable, as though the time was giving me a moment to run back through the past, find that specific instant and change everything back to normal; as much as this was impossible, though, I knew it crystal clear that I had moved ahead in my life.

I ventured a little laughter. “Hey, Ahjussie, you don’t have to be like that”

“I’m sorry…I didn’t know” Was his reply, as expected, lowly, genuine and honest. I turned to look at him.

“No worries…the next time we meet, I’ll tell you the whole story…”

He tried to smile. “Well, I’d like that, if you don’t mind…”

“Sure” I replied and gestured him to come over. “Ahjussie…pick whatever you want”

He approached me, and with his hands fisted on the either sides he awkwardly looked through the shirts I’ve laid down. “They…all look fine…just-just pick me what you like”

“Hmm” I responded and picked one quite similar to what he was wearing. “White…”

“Sure” he said and I laid it in his hands. “Do you want me to press it? My old man has thrown them about…”

He chuckled. “No, it’s fine…”

“Alright then” I replied, throwing the remaining cloths back inside. “Take your time and change Ahjussie, is there anything else you need?”

“No I’m just fine…thank you very much, Eunji-Ssi”

 

I was waiting downstairs when Howon called me to tell me that there was an underground performance tonight and that Nam Woohyun specifically mentioned it I should come. Since I had nothing much to do after six and since he wasn’t working tonight, I simply agreed, not truthfully to entertain Nam Woohyun’s offer, yet it surprised me that I looked up the nearest calendar.

“Howon, it’s not the end of this month”

So basically, the underground performances which they held once a month at this abandoned subway station took place during the final week of the month in order to gain more audience since its around everyone’s pay days; therefore, surprised at Howon’s invite, I double checked the calendar.

“Oh” He replied, I could hear boisterous laughter somewhere behind him. “They say some underground legend had returned…and he must be some busy man so they planned it a little earlier”

“Oh…” I retorted with a nod. “Alright, I’ll come around by six”

 

Sung Gyu came down a little later, looking much better yet the shirt was a little too big for him since my father was big and chubby; he had tugged it for the betterment though, and folded the sleeves. After a heedful once over, I realized that he was actually really, really good-looking. He had his old shirt in his hand and asked for a paper bag to carry it, I immediately said it wasn’t possible and offered to wash it to.

To be honest, I didn’t know where all these thoughts to help him came to me, although I was generally helpful. There was this crazy feeling inside be, forcing me into those irrelevant actions, and I, much to my disdain was following eagerly what my heart had planned.

He left after a futile attempt of convincing me, with a quick goodbye and afterwards I busied myself running errands until six in the evening when I was supposed to get ready and meet Howon by the subway station.

He was there with his friends as usual, already in his dancing attire and a hint of make-up. There were the twins, Dong Woo and Nam Woohyun, who greeted me the moment I came by with a hug and a chaste kiss on my palm, I shied away and hit him on his head. “Was that even necessary?”

“Hello, beautiful, fancy meeting you here”

I rolled my eyes in retort. “It was you who specifically invited me silly!”

The five of them went about their conversations for the next few minutes until they finally announced the gates open for the underground performance.

The crowd inside never failed to surprise me, and with all the light and stage deco’s, it was almost like a massive stage concerts that those music groups often held, but only the performers weren’t idols. On the big screen they showed the prize for this month’s winning entertainer which was a jolly good chunk of money, loud music was playing in the background, the stage darkened and I merely mixed into the crowd after a quick good bye to Howon and the rest. Woohyun wanted to annoy me once more with an embrace which I returned my hitting on his head, but hugged him anyway. Despite him calling me Sung Gyu’s ex-chick (Which I came to consider as a hasty mistake) Nam Woohyun was a good guy, chick, cool, really handsome and a total yoja killer. It was given that every one of his actions could send girls swooning to no end; I was immune to all this though, however I did notice that he was quite genuine with all the care he gave.

The concert took a few lazy minutes to start and kicked off with a new group they had introduced which basically had a few teen age kids, they were really cute. A few performances went by and really had my spirit running. I was really passionate for music, I tell you; my father being a former musician (A very very minor shot) and owning a music shop had made me a music lover itself. I sang along to the songs I knew and hopped around as crazily as I could. It was what Underground was all about, a space and a moment for us passionate youngsters to unleash the passion within themselves.

Howon’s performance was just as always remarkable. Despite being extremely panicky and concerned, Howon had this side of him which was cool, passionate and really hard-working. I had often accompanied him for street dances and dance practicing that I was quite used to it, however when he performed on the stage I could never stop screaming and cheering the loudest I could. I was proud of my best friend, he was indeed very talented.

The twins performed very well too. I supposed that they were new to join Underground since I didn’t remember them from past performances. It had been ages since I last attended one, I was extremely happy that I finally did.

Since all this time for two years, I was often occupied with Myung Soo’s work, and at those times he was hardly ever around. He’d simply disappear into the blue.

Dong Woo’s piece was as brilliant as much as Howon’s was. Since they were partners in practicing, both of them carried it out very well.

After a several more they went into a sudden recess, and announced the comeback of one of the greatest legends of Underground’s history.

And believe me, I swear my jaw fell slack down to my knees, for never in my life, never, ever in my life did I see this one coming,

It was the biggest shock of my life.

For out came on the stage the most beautiful, the most remarkable virile splendor ever, I couldn’t even find coherent words to respond, everything began to shatter around me, rebuilding themselves in an all new light.

On the stage, shining vigorously under the neon lights was Kim Sung Gyu, The Kim Sung Gyu; Kim Sung Gyu who gave a terribly hard time throughout the span of it since we met. Kim Sung Gyu whom I thought I knew, but realized that I never did.

He was the greatest legend of the Underground history. And I realized how wrongly I had seen him all my life; I had seen him bad, I had seen him as a nuisance from the day I came to know him when in reality he should have been my hero.

As I stared up at him in awe, trying to register the sheer reality of what was happening certain realizations gradually came to my mind without even me intending to.

One, I realized my first and the second impressions on him, as always, had been all, all so wrong. Second, I realized how people could be so much more than they actually willed to show the society surrounding them in every single aspect, third, I realized, with much befuddlement and a tinge of distress that he didn’t seem to me the walking talking nuisance anymore, neither was he the poisonous flower I was tempted to pluck, neither was he the person whom I knew but didn’t, person I thought we were but weren’t, no, he wasn’t any of this, in the new light, with my new earned respect, he was much, much more. He wasn’t just beautiful anymore, he was inexorably drop-dead gorgeous; he wasn’t just talented, he was extraordinary. He wasn’t just calm genuine and sincere, he was the epitome of perfection. And finally I realized something which I never should have come into realization.

I realized, with much disdain that he wasn’t just the Kim Sung Gyu I knew, but also, most probably yet most impossibly, most undeniably yet unbelievably the person I might fall in love with. I suddenly wished the love letter I received was actually from Kim Sung Gyu.

Sudden love is impossible, I tell you. Impossible.


Hello peeps!

I apologize for the very very very long chapter and its totally fine if you don't want to read the whole thing and skip certain parts you dislike, its all up to you! But my muse started running that i couldn't halt it until it covered more than six thousand words, and didn't spot a point where I could divide the chapter into two, I didn't want to ruin it, however, consider it a double update and give me all your love.

Do you see the drama starting? *giggles*

And I gave you some Gyuji moment for your liking, and a little of MyungJi if anyone's shipping them in this story.

There's something i need to confirm with you guys, for which I'll make a blog post after much consideration. Stay tuned peepes! I need your help to make this story much much better.

 

There was an issue with the comments the other day and i hope you all forgive me. You see, I'm a lil crazy and I'm very supersitious; 13 stops my muse from running so thank you all for commenting to increase the number (It was NOT to increase the number of comments or karma points, i swear, I don't even care for those) and I APOLOGIZE muchlovegyuji if I made her feel uncomfortable. I didn't mean to hurt you! I love you! And i'm really really sorry! Sorry to everyone else too.

I hope to do better with this story and return to my old style of putting in a lot of drama and happenings. This story has just started so give me all your love to keep it going.

subscribing, commenting is all up to you!

Loads of love,
Achini

(Ps; I realized, I love Kim Sung Gyu so SO much!!)