챕터 16; One day, before Summer.

Confessions of a bachelorette

It was true, that people take only an instant to change themselves completely when they had returned from doing something which they realized was bad. I didn’t know whether it was a good thing or whether it was any bad, but when Myung Soo changed entirely in my presence, I didn’t like it, I realized, I wanted the Myung Soo I knew back, the Myung Soo who would nag and complain about this and that all through the day, and I was not at all fond of the new Myung Soo who would willingly hold my hand while crossing the road. Especially the Myung Soo who would overreact when I hand around with Nam Woohyun for no apparent reason. Why would he? What reason did he have? I thought I knew everything prior to then, but I didn’t know anymore.

I went to sleep early that night, after praying to god for Puppy to be safe wherever he was.  It had been three days since his disappearance, and the memories of him still broke my heart. Regardless of this though, I still had a life to carry on. I was on the verge of dozing off, almost dreaming when my phone began to buzz by my ear. It was an unknown number though, but if I left it unanswered, whoever it was would never let me get my peaceful sleep. With a reluctant sigh, I answered.

“Who is this?” I asked the caller, and that whoever it was made a distinct sigh, “Eunji…you still haven’t saved my number?”

Involuntarily, after hearing that smooth, gentle voice of his, I smiled. “Ah…Sung Gyu-Ssi…mian”

“Never mind” He said from the other end. “Were you sleeping?”

I rolled my eyes. “No, I was planting grass on the porch and watching them grow. Why do you call me at this hour?”

He chuckled throatily. “Eunji, it’s still nine! Anyway…I was going to tell you-,”

“Yeah?”

He cleared his throat. “Well, you know it’s our big day, yeah? And I told Sung Yeol too…”

My heart skipped a beat. “I’m listening…”

“I want you to attend the opening ceremony”

I in took a deep breath, realizing that I had, in fact, waited for it to come by. “But why me?”

“Why not?” He asked. “Do I need a reason to?”

“D’uh yeah? You’re the CEO and I’m the cafeteria’s waitress?”

He sighed. “Alright…Myung Soo asked me to invite you”

My heart fell at his words. “oh…okay”

“Alright then…I’ll come to pick you up in the morning”

I widened my eyes. “Wait, what?”

“I’m coming to pick you up” He repeated.

“But you’re the CEO!”

“Apparently. So?”

I shrugged. “You’re weird”

“Hey Eunji” He said.

“What?”

“I’m coming after attending another business by your street, so don’t take it to your heart”

“I didn’t! Why would I?”

He laughed. “Okay then…get ready extra early…I don’t have all the time in the world”

“Sure, will”

“Good night Eunji”

And that ended there.

 

The entire night, I stayed up, my heart beating painfully at the thought. I honestly didn’t expect him to invite me to the grand opening, let alone to offer me a ride the next morning, and when it actually happened, I wasn’t sure of what to believe anymore. He did say that I shouldn’t take it to my heart; he did say that he was coming by because he had a business to settle in the area I live in (I couldn’t even guess where this particular business could be) but I had already taken it heart; I was already imagining the unimaginable.

The strange thing about crushing on someone is that we will be easily convinced that the significant other felt the same towards me. Of course, it was just delusional thinking; but come to think of it, why would he invite me to the ceremony?

Right; Myung Soo wanted him to.

Why would he come around to pick me up?

Right; he had some business to attend to.

Pondering on all of these relentless matters, I pressed the best shirt and skirt I had, found a better pair of shoes, morally encouraged myself to not to collapse when he take the seat, finally as the CEO of SK C and C, and when I went to sleep, it was a quarter past midnight.

 

 

I woke up early, for whatever the reason I set the alarm, only to witness that sun had barely raised. Of course, it was the big day today, Kim Sung Gyu, the chaebol on whom I had an undying crush on was finally keeping a massive step in his life, and the day where his brother was strangely expecting me to come by and witness the occasion.

Since it was still a little too early, I made breakfast to both myself and my father, washed the dishes from the night before and finally went up to run a shower. When I left the tub to fill it was just few minutes after six, predominantly, I still had time. After I had gotten rid of my night clothes, I basked myself in the coldness of the water and closed my eyes. After days of running errands without break, all my limbs and joints were numbed with pain, and there was a pair of ugly bags under my eyes; I wanted to presentable; like I said, I wasn’t ready to give up on Sung Gyu this time; I would make him notice me, I would make him fall for me and love me in every possible way I could.

The very thought of it sent bolts of excitement throughout my veins. Sung Gyu was just worth a try.

I was deep in thoughts, drowning myself in the coldness of the water and my emotions when I heard the front door open and something fall. The clock read six thirty in the morning, which was still too early for Sung Gyu to come by; thus, assuming it was my father sleep walking or something, I climbed down the tub, wrapped up myself in a towel and made it down the stairs, trying not to slip and fall.

Honestly, my father had a serious case of sleep walking. It would be in the middle of the night or at the edge of dawn, he would simply come down the stairs, walk here and there and start walking into the front door, or even unlock it if he had the spirit. There were several times where I actually found him napping there on the porch or the slope to our house; and the next thing I wanted today was to have my father sleeping on the road at the time my crush was coming around.

However though, failing to my expectation, it was not my father whom I found on the floor by the front door. I was Kim Sung Gyu.

Kim Sung Gyu who had turned up super early at my place, looking so much like a prince who had walked out from a fairy tale was there, crouched down by the front door collecting the pieces of the designer pot we had kept on the porch.  He looked up the moment I opened up the door for him, followed by a loud gasp; however, the most important detail did skip my mind.

I was wrapped up in a towel which barely covered several inches up my knees and down my neck. It took me a little too long to feel self-conscious, and when I did, finally, feeling my cheeks burn and my heart beat rapidly, I swiftly closed the door on his face, turned around and made it to the stairs.

Luck got me bad though, for the first step I climbed, due to the wet trail I left behind, I tripped and fell right on my onto the wooden floor. Sung Gyu as though on cue, much to my utter disdain, then, flung open the door and hurried inside.

“Jung Eunji!”

I figured. One bad start of the day was most liable to ruin the entire day. I wished I could melt into a puddle and die.

“Are you okay? Did you hurt anywhere?”

Burning in embarrassment, I covered my face with both my hands. “No! Go away, I can’t…”

He was silent for a moment then, and I could feel it, almost, him crouching down by my side. My heart was beating ever so fast there, and I was just seconds away from literally collapsing; yet he seemed oblivious of it all, instead, he placed a hand on my bare arm. “Eunji…it’s okay”

I shook my head. “I can’t…go away”

He sighed. “Eunji, I didn’t see anything, I swear”

“Go away!”

He retrieved his hand then, I felt movement beside me, but for the state I was in, I felt so hopeless, vulnerable; I had never wished to appear like this before his eyes, I never did, and the humiliation just now was killing me million times.

“Eunji…I’m your best friend’s brother, oh?”

But of course, he knew absolutely nothing about what I actually saw him as, I was only his brother’s friend in his eyes, but for me, he was so much more than that; and having him seeing me in this position, looking so vulnerable, I couldn’t help it but feel so burdened. What made it even worse is that he couldn’t even understand it.

With a reluctant sigh, he placed a hand on my back, another on my arm, making my heart race and swiftly pulled me up on my feet. Panicking momentarily I quickly clutched the knot by chest and fixed my eyes on the floor.

“I swear I didn’t see anything, even if I did…” He sighed and I felt his eyes on me. “You’re like a little sister to me, Eunji…and it was just a mistake, I’m sorry…”

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and tried to nod it away, but the humiliation was too much that I wondered if I could handle it.

“But did you hurt anywhere?”

I shook my head.

“Good…I’ll stay outside if you want-,”

“No” I blurted out, and tried to focus on the moment. Of course I couldn’t keep a large scale company owner out on the road, just because he walked in on myself running around in a flimsy little towel; I couldn’t hurt his pride, therefore I asked him to stay inside.

“Please…make yourself comfortable…Sung Gyu-Ssi…” I stuttered, avoiding his eyes. “I’ll…be quick”

 

I ran up the stairs again then, locked myself in my room and leaned against the door, closing my eyes. My heart felt heavy, as though it couldn’t hold in the weight anymore, and my head was throbbing in humiliation. How could I be so inconsiderate? Even if it was my father? What if someone else came? In a way I was glad it was Sung Gyu; he was someone whom I could trust, he was someone, I knew, would never see a woman in that particular light.

The comfort of the bath was long gone then; thus I ran a quick shower, washed my hair, blow dried it, got dressed and ran down the stairs with my shoes in my hand. Sung Gyu was in the living room, going through the photographs with his hands clasped on his back, when I reached downstairs. Upon my arrival, he turned to me and offered one of his signature smiles. I felt my cheeks burn then, and out of reflex, I pulled down the hem of my skirt which, I assumed, did show too much.

 

It was even more awkward on the way in the vehicle. Since the balmy sunrays were getting us through the crystal clear glass panes, Sung Gyu had put on a pair of sunglasses; he stared ahead as he drove. However though, when he reached down and pulled the gears, the smooth skin of his hand would occasionally brush my thigh. This would send jolts of electricity up and throughout my veins, thus I moved further away and cornered myself to the door. He seemed to have noticed it though, but I was glad that he didn’t seem to take much notice of my strange behavior; or maybe he was ignoring it on purpose to make me feel better.

 

 

Our arrival at SK C and C explained it to me why he decided to come earlier; there were a few things that needed to be done, and of course, there was an additional announcement he needed to make; particularly to Myung Soo and myself.

He needed me to drop working part time at Sung Yeol’s and join Myung Soo to intern at the HR department. Being a social sciences undergraduate myself, it was of course essential for me to intern at the Human resources department, but the very announcement, indeed surprised me quite. It was the least of my expectations.

And I wasn’t planning to leave the café under any circumstances; my presence there…well, the café needed me to be present. Otherwise I would never solve this puzzle.

Neither could I say no to Sung Gyu.

“You get an allowance of 400 thousand Won a month to cover your vital expenses like rent and transport; in addition to that, a three month training” Sung Gyu was explaining as the balmy sunrays entered his new and incredibly spacious office. There were only the three of us inside, his secretary would come by now and then, outside were a pair of flower wreaths placed, sent by his colleagues and investors along with their best wishes.

“…and I can assure you; a full salaried carrier is guaranteed, already placed in store for your future. Right after graduating-,” He turned to us and offered a convincing smile. “-you will be a full time employer at a leading IT company of South Korea…how does that sound?”

“Sounds pretty legit” Myung returned, nonchalantly.

“Sounds pretty convincing” I replied honestly.

In fact though, I really wasn’t hoping to take up an internship. I was slow, I was lethargic, and I was barely managing my degree already; thus I couldn’t imagine myself working, let alone in a large scale company which require constant attention and steadfast responsibility. Of course, I would never be the best candidate.

I didn’t know how I could venture out that fateful ‘no’ though.  Would it hurt Sung Gyu? Would it hurt Myung Soo?

Would it hurt them both?

“So what do you say?” Sung Gyu asked then, and leaned casually against the mahogany table, looking at either of us expectantly. “I know, this isn’t anything I should be forcing on you two…but I don’t want Myung Soo to come and hang around as would a stranger, or Eunji to work at the café…”

I bit my lower lip and fidgeted nervously with my fingers. His very words hit me as would an arrow through my frail heart; his very words was an indication to the meekly delusions of my mind. Of course, it couldn’t be him, who thought the café, and Sung Yeol connected us; it couldn’t be him who thought I looked good in however the appearance I came in; it couldn’t be him, that missing part of this puzzle; it couldn’t be him, who had come to be intrigued by my words. All in all, Sung Gyu just wasn’t the type, and just now when he himself admitted it to me that he didn’t want me to be around the cafeteria, he made it stark clear to me; he wasn’t the one whom I was looking for.

But that still wouldn’t give me reasons to leave the café; it still wouldn’t; for his words didn’t actually give me the answers that I soughed to hear.

Myung Soo shrugged and threw up his hand. “I’m in anyway, Hyung”

The next minute, both the brothers had their eyes on me. I gulped hard, feeling the uneven beating of my heart and continued to look down on my hand.

“Eunji…you?” Sung Gyu asked.

“You don’t have to worry” Myung Soo added gently. “I’ll be here too…”

“And I swear, it would be a remarkable experience for you-,”

I looked up and shook my head. “No…I-I just…” Clearing my throat, I lowered my head once more. “I need my time to think”

There was a moment of definite silent from the both of them during which I only focused on my hand that I couldn’t even imagine what they could be thinking. Of course I couldn’t tell them that the actual reason to decline was because of the strange connection the café made with he who loved me, the secret admirer, no; nor could I simply up and say that I was afraid to take up the challenge; Sung Gyu was never the kind to buy such hasty and lame excuses; the best option I had was steeling time to settle and sort things out.

Sung Gyu, as though on cue, cleared his throat and stood straight. “Okay…Eunji. Since we are kicking start only today, I guess you have plenty of time to decide.” He gave me a smile. “When you’re ready to take it up, please don’t hesitate to contact me…you’re more than welcome at SK C and C”

 

 

After the brief meeting with the CEO, both Myung Soo and I returned to the front lobby since the ceremony was yet to begin and sat together in utter silence. He didn’t seem very happy or pleased of himself, which was quite strange, yet looked absolutely beautiful in suit and tie; he looked quite the sassy man. Myung Soo, like I said, had always had strange, imperceptible dispositions, therefore I didn’t take it much gravely, that serious mood of his. After a moment, though he happened to pipe up and ask me; “Eunji, why did you not take the job?”

I was seeing it coming all from the moment I rejected the offer, so was I ready to retort.

“I’m not…ready yet…to work” I replied.

“It’s not work, Eunji, it’s just an internship” He said from beside me, his eyes never leaving my side. “What’s there to be ready?”

I shrugged. “A lot…I’m not…used to these things, you see”

“What’s there to get used to?” He asked, almost unbelievingly. “Eunji, even if you would find it difficult, I told you I will support you”

I shook my head. “I don’t want to trouble you”

He reached out and took my hand. “When did I ever say you troubled me?”

This, in fact, caught me off guard. Myung Soo of course, had always been of the strangest variety who did peculiar things at the most unexpected moments, and when his fingers slowly intertwined with mine, all I could do was wordlessly watch him with utter befuddlement. Whatever he was getting at, I was certain, I didn’t want it. This wasn’t the time.

Despite his reluctance, I slowly retrieved my hand and clutched on to my bag. “You…didn’t but I don’t want to….I just don’t”

I felt his eyes on me for a while, unmoving and staring at me on my side as would a scary stalker before turning away with a reluctant sigh, His hands clasped together momentarily, and eyes focused on the glass chandelier above, “Hmm…As you wish, Eunji…as you wish”

I didn’t, really didn’t like the new Kim Myung Soo.

 

 

The ceremony didn’t take that long; it was more of an inauguration where they announced the new chairman and missions and visions, the norms of a company and the introductions of the investors and the board of directors. The complete event was quite boring though, since I wasn’t entirely used to it; but what made me feel better was that he never failed to catch my eyes and give me a quick smile. He was the epitome of perfection when he stood there, on the patio, speaking of this and that that I really wasn’t paying my attention on. I watched him, I watched the movements of his hands and where his eyes moved to, I watched the slight movement of his lips and how his eyelashes rested on his cheeks whenever he blinked; he was a distraction, truly, and I wanted out.

His parents were there too, who caught me sitting with Myung Soo and offered me acknowledging smiles. There were few unrecognized persons from the event that night too, and there was Woohyun, smiling, and his eyes never left my side.

All the staring from the two guys were making me uncomfortable; honestly. Therefore right after the event ended, I excused myself and made my way to the cafeteria.

 

After we had set everything in order the night before, even without my presence, things seemed to be running smoothly along with Sung Yeol’s diligence to achieve perfection, as he always would. I, of course, had nothing to do up there after the ceremony had ended thus I slipped into the ladies’ and pulled on my waitress attire; when I finally returned to take up my work, the cafeteria was already bustling with crowd, and I was certain that I saw moisture in Sung Yeol’s eyes. He once told me, somewhere in those three days which we spent to finally open out newly furnished café, that to him, Sung Gyu was almost a god. His café was something which he had brought up with such hard work and effort, and having being it a rundown stall with a fewer number of employees, today marked for him a greatest step in life.

Sung Gyu, now that I look at it, was indeed someone precious. He had brought so much of goodness into peoples’ lives.

Sung Yeol welcomed me warmly the moment he saw me back at work, and I busied myself with serving the customers who gratefully enjoyed what we had to offer; starting from different beverages to pastries, cakes and western styled lunch packs, we offered the best out of all our effort, and for a moment I was proud of where I stood on the realm.

I couldn’t leave this café or Sung Yeol, not even though it would cost me something equally important, even though it cost me a lifetime opportunity. The secret admirer was right. There was something eccentric, something like an invisible string, binding us and conspiring our similar sentiments together; eventually making us a family, and there was nothing which would actually pull us apart.

The day went by quite in a rush but wonderfully. For lunch we served a special opening day menu and gave twenty percent off on every purchase; once the lunch rush was done, we were all on recess; during which we sat around and enjoyed a cold glass of lemon tea.

I was conversing with Sung Jong about something mundane at that time when I saw Woohyun come around, his tie pulled to a side and blazer in hand. Remembering the incident from the other day, I watched him quite cautiously. True, I was quite sure that it wasn’t his voice I heard through the letters I received, but he in person seemed to fit into the slot just right.

It was confusing me.

He talked with Sung Yeol for quite a while, laughed then and there and purchased a glass of green tea latte and a slice of poppy cake; he turned around only to catch my eyes, and he smiled just like he always would. On my side, I could almost sense Sung Jong’s endless gaze. But of course, he must be worried, and confused that I had so many (Good-looking) guys around me.

“Ah! Piggie…” Woohyun greeted as he placed the tray on the table that Sung Jong and I shared before giving Sung Jong a peculiar look. “Um…hi…new person”

“Have a name and it’s Sung Jong” Retorted he as he always would and turned to me. “What is this?”

I shrugged. “Nam Woohyun. He’s Sung Gyu’s friend”

Sung Jong gave me a sarcastic nod. “Hmm…okay…” He stood up and took his glass in hand. “I’ll see you around, Jiji…laters”

Honestly, I couldn’t figure out why he acted cold towards all the people I hung out with; maybe he wanted to return to the old days where there were only him and I, or maybe he wasn’t particularly fond of the aristocratic society that they belonged to. I, of course, was used to it, but Sung Jong came from Busan, and it hadn’t been long. Maybe he needed time to blend in.

I twirled my spoon in my glass, watching Woohyun as he slurped up the cream of his beverage the same way his friend did and raised my brows.

“Are you taking up after Sung Gyu-Ssi, or are you both the same?”

He smiled and had another spoonful of the cream. “Which or which, I’m not certain myself…”

“Hmm” I nodded. “Anyway, what brings you here?”

“Oh, that” He said and pushed his glass to a side. “I almost forgot. Eunji, you remember I told you the other day that you and I will be modeling for my mother’s summer collection?”

Since I vaguely remembered him mentioning something along the line, I gave him a nod. “Yeah…I guess”

He gulped down a mouthful of the tea and turned to me. “We’re launching the new line at the end of this spring, in other words in the beginning of the summer break”

I nodded. “Okay”

“Yeah. So we’re doing the photo-shoot and the CF recording this weekend; since we need time for preparations and all, for that, we’re going to Jeju”

I widened my eyes. “Jeju?”

“Yup. This weekend.”

I panicked momentarily. “B-but…only you…and I?”

He stared at me for a moment longer and shook his head, clicking his tongue. “Eunji…I thought you had no trust issues, but apparently you do…”

“Woohyun-,”

“Don’t you trust me?”

I couldn’t reply.

“Do you?”

I sighed and clasped my hands together. “Woohyun-Ssi…it could be that you and I know each other closely, but I-,”

“That’s what I thought” Woohyun said, sitting back with a smile. “We’re still acquaintances, and whatever it is…we need time, hmm? We’re not going alone, Eunji, my mother is coming, and also…”

He leaned over and gestured me to come forward. I glanced at him cautiously, yet since he kept gesturing me, I leaned towards him as well.

“It’s Sung Gyu Hyung’s birthday this weekend”

I sat back, surprised. “Really?”

He nodded. “Yeah…so I planned to throw him a surprise party in Jeju. Not a big one; he likes it simple, so only us. You, Myung, and I. That would do right?”

I pondered it out for a moment and nodded in return. “Sounds legit”

“I thought so” he said and gave me a smile. “There won’t be much of preparations to do, Sung Yeol said he’d send cake with Myung Soo; all we need to do is set the party; basically nothing except for the presents”

I nodded. “Okay…so talking about presents…”

“Something simple” Woohyun said and slurped up half of the beverage in a rush. “He likes it less fancy; like, you know. Basic stuff…a pen, a tag, a shirt…” He looked up and caught my eyes. “A tie…likewise?”

“Hmm” I nodded, realizing that I should actually go shopping that day itself since the weekend was just around the corner. “But Woohyun…is there anything more that I need to do?” I asked, referring to the point of the entire trip. “For the shoot, I mean”

He shook his head and smiled. “Not really, Eunji; All we need there is you”

 

 

After we had finished our first day of work, Sung Gyu made a surprise visit with a massive smile curved on his lips. He had a young lady following behind him with a stack of files, which was quite a strange sight for me, however he never failed to give out the company-owner’s vibe; which set my heart to beat faster.

First off he congratulated us and Sung Yeol for successfully kicking off from the very first day and talked of the praising he received from the customers and other employees. It had brought tears into Sung Yeol’s eyes, apparently, and when Sung Gyu said that he was happy and also proud of such a young and a diligent barista, Sung Yeol was simply set on tears. At the end of it he ordered a glass of his favorite and settled down on the platform, overlooking the tarmac road. Sung Yeol asked me to prepare his beverage since he thought I was the best at it, and while I was at it, a familiar voice called from behind.

“Hey Ji!”

“I’m working” I said, putting in a splash of milk into the blender.

“Eunji!” He called again. “The cashier is gone, I want to order!”

I shrugged. “I said I’m working Myung Soo!”

I heard him sigh, and no sooner he had hopped over the cabinet and suddenly threw his arms around me, almost like trapping me in his embrace. I wasn’t really uncomfortable though, since I was used to it; Myung Soo was most likely to trap me this way whenever he wanted to be a whiny big baby.

“Let go Myung Soo, I’m working!”

He crushed me more and swayed from side to side. “Pour me a green tea latte too, okay? With extra cream”

“Okay, just let go!”

And he did, almost too suddenly and his eyes were focused on something behind us. I too, followed them, only to see Sung Gyu standing there, eyes widened and confusion etched on his face; a tissue paper was crushed in his wet hands. Momentarily I wanted to melt into a puddle and die. Why did he always had to appear whenever Myung Soo and I were engaged in some sort of mushy moment?

Myung Soo seemed unaffected though, and Sung Gyu too, gave me a smile. It was as though only I had taken the little incident all too seriously. I wasn’t certain of it though, for Sung Gyu was quite well in hiding his emotions.

I figured, I was being delusional once more.

“Oh Hyung” Myung Soo called out and climbed over the cabinet to the other side. “I was looking for you”

Sung Gyu made a face. “You were?”

“Hmm” he nodded and placed a hand on his arm, leading him on the other direction. “I think there’s something we need to talk about…”

Once they were out of my sight, I turned around and returned to my work.

 

 

It’s out of common courtesy that we ignore it when others, no matter how close as acquaintances or otherwise we were, are engaged in a rather heated conversation. It’s another one of life-lessons that my father had given me at all perpetuity to feign ignorance at such situations, but him sure as heavens had forgotten to tell me what to do when this particular heated conversation had involved my name in it, not just once but several perceptible times.

I had just returned, carrying two glasses of the freshly made beverage when my ears sensed Myung Soo’s voice uttering my name in a lowly, hushed tone. I stopped dead at the foot of the steps out of reflex and tried to grasp more of what they were saying. It was bad, I knew; but hearing my name being said made the moment an exception.

I figured, something was just not right.

“You’re being a coward hyung…” His voice said again, now in a raised tone. “How long had it been now?”

Sung Gyu too, mumbled something in return which I couldn’t catch; but the coldness, the dullness and the strange sorrow in his voice was so evident that I could almost feel it in the air engulfing me.

“Oh please, now Hyung…that is simply not being emotional; you’re just fooling yourself”

There was a moment of silence then, soon followed by Sung Gyu’s low voice muttering something which yet again I couldn’t grasp. There seemed to be a sudden outburst on Myung Soo’s side then, with the sound of the chair being pushed back harshly and feet hitting roughly on the floorboards; soon, however came Myung Soo’s voice, now louder and clearer.

“But keep this in mind Hyung; as much as I love you; if it’s not you, then it would be me and nobody would ever come in between whether you liked it or not”

I stayed still on my spot, even though I could hear and see him arriving at the head of the stairs. The cheerful, bubbly disposition which he sported just a mere while ago was replaced by an imperceptible expression of anger and something else which I couldn’t grasp; the moment he caught my eyes blatantly watching him, he looked taken aback for the briefest moment and returned to that agonized façade before stomping down the stairs; however when he approached me, he paused for the briefest moment, his eyes sending daggers through mine. I felt my heartbeat race momentarily, and I held tightly onto the tray, afraid I would lose my grip. Honestly, I was clueless of what happened up there, no matter whether it involved me or not, nor was I prying to find out, for I had always been aware of Myung Soo’s sudden mood changes and how he always took the trivial matters a little too seriously. They were the points which he needed to change, however, I dared not to utter a single word regarding this matter. I was in no position to do so.

He slid past me then, as would a slithering serpent and simply walked out of the store. I was surprised, honestly and inwardly I was debating whether I should or should not question his brother of what just happened.

Seeing Kim Sung Gyu, though, I decided on the latter.

My father had always told me; never question others when they seemed to be the one who’s hurt the most; he could be paining, Eunji, and that very pain, until you experience it, you would never understand how hurting it was.

Thus I slowly approached him and placed the two glasses on the table before him. Sung Gyu looked weary and tired, his hair, which was neatly brushed that morning was tousled on the top, sleeves of his blazer and shirt rolled up; head lowered, eyes focused on the wooden patterns of the table while his hands remained clasped before him. To be honest, I had never witnessed Sung Gyu in this much sorrow, and seeing him, I realized, he probably needed his share of time, alone. The argument sure had left a painful scar on his heart. Therefore, being careful to not disturb his train of thoughts, I placed the tray along with the spoons, straws and tissues and simply turned away when suddenly he reached out and caught my wrist.

A shrill of mixed emotions shot through my veins, and I closed my eyes before in taking a sharp breath, turning to face him. Sung Gyu was watching me, expectantly, a sad smile playing on his flushed lips.

“Eunji-Ssi” He called me and I forced out a smile.

“Yes…CEO-nim”

He smiled dropped the moment I called him that, and I quickly covered up for it.

“Oh, I mean…the other employees…they…imagine other things”

He stared at me for a moment longer and retrieved his hand before breaking out a light chuckle. “That’s thoughtful of you…Eunji-Ssi…”

Glad that he finally escaped his distraught disposition, I gave him a smile. “Well, I guess? But why did you call me?”

He gestured at the chair before him. “Take a seat first”

I looked down at the chair and then glanced back into the café which was going through the effects of the rush hour. Several of the girls had left early, leaving only four people to finish off the work, and I figured they needed my hand in order to finish off and catch the next bus. I turned back to Sung Gyu and gave him an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry…CEO-nim, but can we be quick? They need my help there”

Sung Gyu too glanced into the café and turned to me. “Hmm. Okay, I will get into details another time then…”

“I’m really sorry, honestly”

He shook his head and smiled. “It’s just fine, Eunji-Ssi…we can always talk later. I just wanted to ask you about the trip to Jeju with Woohyun”

“Oh…what about it?”

He glanced at the two glasses before him and placed one on the table before dipping the straw into it. 

“You see…Woohyun is someone I could trust you with, Eunji…in case it worried you”

I watched him for a second and immediately shook my head. “O-of course not! I…too, trust him…”

Sung Gyu nodded and twirled his straw in the drink. “I know you do…I was just…” He looked up then, and focused his eyes to mine. “He invited me to come over, but I’m afraid I can’t, with the workload and all-,”

“What?” I screamed almost, staring at him in horror. Woohyun and I had already planned everything to surprise him on his birthday and he not arriving was the biggest worry we had. It was as though the nightmares were coming true. But of course, I couldn’t give away anything, he would figure it out, otherwise.

Sung Gyu looked at me worriedly and heaved a sigh. “Eunji, I just told you…”

I held up my palms. “No, no…it’s nothing of the sort-,”

“Then what is it?”

I sighed. How could I get out of this now?

“Eunji” He called me again. “It’s evident, you’re worried”

I bit my lip and finally forced out a nod, giving into it since I saw no other way of escape. “Am I…that transparent?”

“Hmm” He said and ran his hand up and down the slick wetness of the glass. “That’s quite a concern then…” He muttered and finally let out a sigh. “Okay…that can’t be helped then…I’ll come around late at night…”

I almost fisted the air but restrained myself, reacting only with a quick nod with a smile. “Thank you CEO-nim!” and placed a hand on my chest, faking a relieved sigh. “God…I was so worried!”

But of course, I was referring to something else while in his mind it was something entirely different. I was worried if it was what Myung Soo and he were arguing about, me feeling insecure around Woohyun, especially after I reacted that way earlier that morning but I wasn’t certain entirely. However I made a mental note to apologize Woohyun later on regarding what I did to his clean reputation. Of course him being such a sweetheart, I never doubted him with insecurities, but for the moment, the role had to be played.

Sung Gyu gave me a smile and nodded at Sung Yeol who was sweeping the floor. “I think they need your help there”

I glanced at the direction he was referring to and gave him a smile. “I guess…I should go then...”

He tilted his head and smiled. “Sure…Later then…”

With a quick goodbye and a heavy heart filled with doubts and unanswered questions, I made it down the stairs; however, it could be that I was being delusional again, but I could almost feel his eyes unwavering on my retreating back. Almost.

 

 

The next two days passed by almost too soon, and Friday night came alone, being it the day before the weekend when I’d be heading to Jeju for the photo-shoot. I headed out to shop for Sung gyu’s gift after work and pondered upon what which would eventually do good for him, lest it being simple. The number of choices were immense; but almost all of the items had a reason to be bought and to not to be bought. I could have bought him a paperback given that he was quite a reader but I could never be too sure of what which he hadn’t read. I could have bought him a watch; but him being a rich class-men, I was certain that he probably had one which cost almost about my whole house (regardless of him wearing it or not). Shirts and belts were never options since they seemed all too intimate for me, to be regarded as presents given by a mere acquaintance. In the end, though; I settled for what which seemed to me the best option of all.

When I headed home, it was almost nine and the streets were dark, it was warmer and hadn’t even rained, yet I was glad that my father was already home, cooking dinner. I plopped down on one of the kitchen chairs and told him about the trip I was to go the next day; just as I would have expected, the first thing he wanted to know was if Sung Gyu was coming or not. I was happy, honestly. It was as though he was accepting my boyfriend, but only he was not. I assured to him that he would be there. In the end I pulled out the box which carried the present I brought, the wrapping paper and proceeded to wrap it up. My father who had done making the broth turned to me and gave me a look.

“What’s that?” He asked.

“A present…” I replied.

“To whom?”

“To Sung Gyu-Ssi…it’s his birthday tomorrow”

My father looked at me curiously and asked. “Sung Gyu? Is it that handsome young man?”

I laughed. “What an explanation dad, you have any idea of the many handsome men around me?”

He too, laughed and hit my head. “You’re so conceited! I meant the one with small sad eyes”

“Oh...” I giggled at all the adjectives he used to explain that certain someone. “Yup. That’s him…”

“Hmm” He nodded knowingly and gestured at my busy hands. “Get it done soon and clean the table okay?”

“Okay” I replied and carried on with my doing. After a moment though, the doorbell rang, and I, with much difficulty (Since dad went to the bathroom to do his business) made it to the door;

Only to be surprised by Woohyun standing by the front door with an indigenously massive bulge on a side of his chest in the bulky jacket he wore. He gave me one of his signature smiles then, but all I could do was giving him a look.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“You’re going to be surprised” He said as he stepped inside.

“What do you mean?” curiously, I questioned. I didn’t have to say much then, I didn’t have to say anything at all. Neither did he utter a word in response, instead, he ped his jacket;

And Puppy, my Puppy, my Puppy who had been missing for almost a week, for whom I had been searching for days finally poked his head out and barked in utter contentment.

That was when I realized how important it was to look into the simplest matters in life.

 

 

We all have those moments where we think that we were right, that we have made the best choice, the best decision of all albeit deep inside, we were almost certain that things weren’t at all perfectly well as much as they seemed to be. That feeling of betrayal was terrible, honestly; it was as though we had lied to thousand men and had put them on the edge, and the guilt would leave a scar which would take years to be finally healed.

When I had told Myung Soo that the person I had liked was Woohyun, despite it being a mere lie just to cover myself lest he didn’t like the idea of his best friend being in love with his step brother, I never thought it would actually affect him, Nam Woohyun, since there was no way that he would get to know of what I had said; unless, of course, Myung Soo asked him, himself. I never really thought that he would, since Myung Soo wasn’t the nosy type to tell tales, but now looking back, telling him that was a great mistake To make it even worse, just to cover up for almost telling Sung Gyu of the surprise plan, I had yet again, sacrificed Woohyun’s name, and I never felt that I might even be, in all actuality, hurting the innocent, sensitive heart of a person who saw me in a light which I never expected him too.

I was being delusional, and it was in the very worse manner. I had always known that it was actually coming on my way; but I had taken that as granted and convinced myself that it was a mere façade he was pulling on himself just to lure my attention.

But I had been all so wrong.

When Nam Woohyun walked into my house with my beloved known-lost pet huddled in his hands, I had a spur of emotional frenzy; the happiness, the guilt and surprise all attaining me in a rush. His smile at that time was genuine, his eyes glinted in evident pleasure, and when I held the little thing in my hands, crying and kissing it on and on, I couldn’t help but feel his incessant stare on me, it was almost as though he could feel this endless happiness in me; and that very idea of him sharing the same feeling as I burned my heart in guilt.

Knowing things all too well, despite his unawareness, I had put him into a highly demoralizing position. All through this though, he might even be the person who had been intrigued by me, who had fallen for me, who had been writing for me for the past few days. Without even giving a single thought on this, I had gone ahead, being selfish, putting him into a position which he should never be on, I had used him as a shield.

The guilt of this was eating me up inside even after he had left, telling me that he had to get his friend drive him over since he wasn’t allowed to ride his bicycle, and told me that he found Puppy wandering the streets when he was heading home with his friend. I laid down on my bed, staring up at the roof with Puppy sleeping on my chest, thinking of what on earth I could possibly do to make things right. How could I ever know whether I was right? How would I ever know if he was the one who had written to me? Just why did I come into this assumption, just because he found me puppy? With all those unanswered question roaming in my mind, I slowly drifted off to sleep. In the end, I realized, I had decided to tell him the truth, and apologize. He deserved to know it all.

The next morning, the day of the trip, I woke up early, gave Puppy a bath, put him into the guest room with enough food and water for a day, made breakfast for the both of us, grabbed the flight tickets which Woohyun bought for me along with my passport and other documents, brought down my bag with clothes for two days and waited for Woohyun to arrive.

He did, twenty minutes later, with a massive smile across his lips and a beanie topping on his ruffled black hair. Behind him, I noticed was his driver from the other day.

“Are you ready?”

I nodded and gave him a smile. “Yup”

“Shall I carry the bags for you?”

All before I could venture an argument though, he walked in, grabbed my bags in both his hands and made it to the car down the slope.

“Come on, now, Eunji!” He called out from the foot of the slope. “We can’t get late!”

 

 

The trip to the airport was, as imagined, loud and filled with cheery laughter and tales. Woohyun was such a sweetheart; he would always keep me entertained no matter how terribly I treated him due to my mixed emotions; it was as though he was unaware, whether it was pretentious, I was never sure but certainly did I enjoy the affection he gave me at all perpetuity.

Woohyun was effervescent; he was the epitome of vivacity, and for me he was the one with whom I’d sit and watch the first snow and share a cup of warm coffee while discussing our love lives.

We met Myung Soo at the airport, and I figured, he didn’t seem to be in his best mood. I couldn’t make out reasons for his sudden outburst, after all the good times we shared the past few days; meeting my eyes, however, he gave me a slight smile and conversed me of mundane matters.

Despite Woohyun not being receptive in expressing whom he really was, I actually expected him to have booked a private jet. Instead of that, though, what he had booked were economy class seats of an ordinary flight, and said that the crew were travelling on their company jet and he wanted to be ordinary by travelling with ordinary people in an ordinary plane. During the flight though, Myung Soo didn’t cease scowling, which was quite a rare sight coming from him. He made me sit beside him, and sadly the flight had three-seat lines, therefore, I had to suffer being sandwiched between the two men. I could have been delusional though, but to my sixth sense, I presumed that there was an intimate cold war and a gazing contest in the process from either sides of me.

The flight didn’t take too long, and in no time, we were already travelling to the hotel we were staying at, which, as Woohyun’s mother who had travelled in the jet with the crew, said, was situated by a secluded beach. It had been ages since I last visited the beach, therefore I was quite excited that we were to be working there. After spending days in the apprehensive and bustling city life and the rainy days, I actually soughed for a change which basically involved the scorching sun and the soft grains of sand between my toes.

The hotel was seemingly an expensive one with diligent yet pleasant staff. They greeted us with pleasantries and the producer of the CF said that we could rest for a few hours until they readied the set. We all were given separate single bedrooms. They were luxurious with white walls and soft beds, overlooking the beach. For an hour I dozed off, killing the fatigue from the long flight.

At about lunchtime, I woke up only to be greeted by the scorching sun coming from the beach. An unknown number had called me apparently, the same number had sent in a message asking how the trip was so far; and I figured, it was Kim Sung Gyu. I saved it in my contacts since I couldn’t do so the last time he asked me too; I figured, it was high time now that I save the number of the guy I was crushing on. After a cold shower, I headed outside, and realized that they were already buffeting the lunch. Myung Soo was there in the lobby, and upon my arrival, he extricated himself from his video game and approached me.

“Tired?” He asked, grinning.

“Not anymore…” I replied.

“Hungry?”

I nodded. “Quite…”

He chuckled and gestured at the way. “Then let’s eat together…”

 

 

One thing I came into realization that day was that Myung Soo would be sporting the sulking-kid face whenever Woohyun was around me. He had been acting strange lately, which was quite surprising; and I was quite worried if he wasn’t with Naeun anymore. I didn’t dare to ask him though, I was in no position to; but to be honest, I wanted the old Myung Soo back; whatever the reason which drove him to act this way, I needed to know and I needed to make things better.

Lunch, as usual, was filled with things to talk about. In a hushed voice, he told me about this air hostess who was checking him out since the moment he climbed in, we had a good laugh, he sent a piece of chicken flying, and I almost chocked in delight. Myung Soo was so adorable, honestly. But the sad truth was always sad, I had apparently moved on.

In fact, I was excitedly looking forward for tonight. It was Sung gyu’s birthday today, and I was glad that I didn’t save his number before or else I would have actually called him up to give my best wishes and ruin the plans.

After lunch, the producer announced it that we were starting. Myung Soo had disappeared, apparently, yet there was Woohyun, smiling, dressed in a flimsy white T-shirt which showed his built perfectly well and a smile which didn’t seem to cease any sooner. We were said that we would be starting with the photo-shoot and shoot the CF the next day; afterwards I was led to have my attire pulled on and get my make-up done.

This was the moment where the insecurities hit me hard.

I was to wear the flimsiest clothes of all.

To be honest, after having grown up with my father, after having hit puberty with him by my side, I was quite conservative, and as a policy I didn’t dress in clothes which showed too much of my skin. I was held off guard, truly, and all I could do was stare at the clothes I was given with utter horror and apprehension.

“Are you alright, my dear?” Asked the lady who brought me in, claiming that she was a coordinator. I looked down at the clothes laid before me and tried not to stutter.

“Nothing…just-,”

As though on cue, my phone made a shrill buzz. Apparently it was Kim Sung Gyu. I was surprised and overwhelmed at the same time.

“How is the shoot going?” He asked, and his voice sounded so clear, almost echoing. I figured that he was in his room.

“It-it’s…” I stuttered, yet he beat it to me.

“I think that’s what I meant by trusting Woohyun and insecurities…” He said.

“Eh?”

“Eunji…Since you’re conservative, I saw this coming…and I figured if I could lure you out of it, or figure out something…”

“Sung Gyu-Ssi…”

He sighed. “Well, what did you expect from a summer clothing line? Wait up…I’ll call Woohyun and figure something out…take care okay?”

With that, the line went dead. The lady was watching me, confused but once I had forced out a smile, she smiled back and told me to get dressed while she readied the rest. Feeling quite apprehensive, I sat on the sofa and waited. After a while though, Woohyun barged in through the curtain, with a new batch of cloths in hand. He gave me an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry about that, Eunji…I didn’t know. I apologize behalf of my mother…”

I smiled and shook it off as the lady from before gathered the flimsy clothes in her hands.

“It’s just fine, Woohyun. I’d be ready in a minute.”

 

 

The shoot wasn’t at all awkward, because it was Woohyun and he always knew how to keep the moment going. He and I had quite a quality time, actually; splashing water at each other and running across the beach in hands. He was smiling and laughing all the while, and all my worries disappeared in the spur of the movement; I felt as though I were the happiest girl on earth.

I wasn’t entirely sure if I’d give in if he did happen to be that one to fit into the puzzle, but I did realize that even if it was him who was intrigued by me, I wouldn’t actually mind. Woohyun was worth the keep.

However though, it did slip my mind that throughout this, Myung Soo was nowhere in sight.

 

 

As night approached, Woohyun and I set a table on the beach with a several plastic chairs and lightened the place with lines of bulbs. Since we had chosen a secluded spot where not even a light from the hotel came, it was darker at night and we could barely see each other; it was perfect to conduct a surprise. Myung Soo joined us later on, and when it had become dark entirely, Woohyun returned to the hotel, claiming that he needed to ask the staff to set an electric generator for electricity to light the bulbs.

We had done it simple, with an array of snacks and frizzy drink and the presents kept on a side; the multi colored lights were placed around the table on the sand where it didn’t get soaked by the waves; the cake was still in its plastic container; it seemed pretty much done.

Since Woohyun had left for the lightening work, Myung Soo and I were left alone on the shore. In utter silence we watched the waves rolling on the beach. I wanted to question him of his temperament, I needed to know all the reasons, for I wasn’t at all fond of the thick, distraught air between us. Although we hadn’t actually parted, it was as though Myung Soo and I were no longer in good terms and it honestly irritated me.

When a high wave broke and showed the likelihood of it rolling over the lights placed on the sand, Myung Soo stood up from the plastic chair he sat on and brought them closer to the table. He was stepping on reverse as he did so, and accidentally, he walked into me; his back hitting my knees and out of reflex he hastily stepped back; eyes widened.

I laughed. “What?”

“Nothing…” He said, scratching his head and turned away, gathering the bulbs in one hand. He then hung them over the chairs, once he was done, he sat on the chair beside me. There was a long moment of silence then, throughout which we basked in the balmy wind of the shore; after a moment then, he broke the unyielding silence himself.

“Was it fun?” He asked out of the blue. The moon had raised blatantly, its shine grazing ripples on the calm waters of the deep blue; the stars were clearer, we could almost form constellations and disfigured beings out of their formation. I turned to Myung Soo then, only to be greeted by his striking side profile, eyes focused on the sky.

“What was?” I asked, quite confused.

“Working with Woohyun, was it fun?”

It was strange for I could feel sarcasm underlying in his tone. I decided to overlook it though, for I was probably imagining things once more.

“It was alright…”

He chuckled lightly then, and I felt his eyes focus on me. “Really now, Eunji…isn’t he the guy you like?”

It was then that it hit me that I did lie to him about liking Woohyun in order to cover up the infatuation I had towards his brother. Honestly, I didn’t think he would be convinced of my lame attempt of concealing the truth; Myung Soo, he was quite the observant, attentive kind. Although I had lied to him, I expected him to have somehow figured something out; despite me being passive of admitting my likeness towards Sung Gyu, I actually expected him to figure it out himself.

Yet, strangely though, he was convinced of the false façade I had put on, and making it even odder, he, to me, sounded like he was drenched in that fateful emotion of jealousy; I just couldn’t figure out why.

But the urge to play alone and hide my little secret was overpowering the actual need of admitting the truth; therefore, I gazed at him, trying my best to look miserable.

“Well…yes, but…” I sighed and looked down at my clasped hands, thinking of the person who was due to arrive in a few minutes. “I…don’t want to be too transparent”

Myung Soo remained gazing out at the shore for a few lazy seconds; the silence was thick and clear, the sound of waves crashing on the beach overpowered the soft sound of our respiration.

“I understand…” He muttered after a while, his eyes unmoving on the lingering waves and broke a long, heavy sigh. “I too…had been trying to not to be too transparent myself…but it turned me into a desperate wreck instead”

 

The waves continued to crash on the shore, uninterrupted, leaving soft, tiny bubbles of its impact on the wet layer of sand. There was a ship floating silently along the horizon, casting a dark shadow against the shining light of the moon; the clear sky was so open, so receptive, but what I couldn’t grasp were the secrets they hid behind them, behind those stars.

That’s exactly what I thought when Myung Soo bore his eyes into mine. They were clear, they were shining, they were brighter than the stars, but I figured, what they hid in the furthest depths of their existence was something that I would never be able to effortlessly grasp. That’s what Myung Soo had always been like to me, a mystery.

 

A few minutes later, Woohyun arrived with a couple of staff members following behind. He was smiling, excitement overflowing in his shining eyes and when he announced to us that Sung Gyu was actually on his way, it was as though he was moments away from bursting in delight.

I noticed how Myung Soo isolated himself from the rest upon Woohyun’s arrival. The shine in his eyes left immediately, replaced by something dark and horrendous but they, as would of a scary stalker, never left my sight.

The staff, just as diligent as they were, quickly set the bulbs on the generator, and soon did the area lighten up with tens and hundreds of tiny fairy light. It was beautiful, honestly, how those tiny bulbs lightened the entire vicinity; and chortling in excitement, both Woohyun and I jumped in delight. It was okay to be naïve and childish once in a while, you see. To survive in this apprehensive world filled with love, hate, passion and jealousy, a moment of naivety was what we needed to survive.

However, all the enthusiastic plans died when an annoyingly familiar voice interrupted our excitement. Woohyun and I were laughing hysterically at our constantly failing attempts of lighting the candles on the cake when this particular owner of this particular voice merely walked into the location of surprise and spoke his heart out in his most natural tone as though it was the most natural thing on earth;

I was certain that, Woohyun, just as I was, was planning to drown in the sea upon hearing him speak.

“Oh…so this is what you all have been planning behind my back…”

 

In the end though, it was totally fine having the surprise plan backfiring on us, because it left us with a good hearty laugh. Sung Gyu had apparently figured it out, since I was acting strange as well as Woohyun and since we dragged along a very stubborn Myung Soo along with us; yet he had kept it silent, he had his own plan of surprise up his sleeve.

Since we had already planned it, we decided to just go ahead with the plan. The very annoyed Woohyun, though, smacked his hand on his best friends arm and whined; “Would you at least act as though you’re surprised!”

Sung Gyu made a face and ruffled his hair before glancing at me and then at Myung Soo then back at Woohyun as though to acknowledge our presence. “Hey, I am surprised and delighted you did all this for me, okay? I’m thankful; honestly, for all you guys went through”

 

We cut the cake, singing happy birthday, and since we couldn’t light up the candles, Woohyun lightened each one of them at a time and made Sung Gyu blow them out. It was nerve wrecking to watch the whole process, truly, that Myung Soo butted in and stopped Woohyun from carrying on with his conduct at the tenth candle. We cut the cake, which was a scrumptious red velvet presented by our very own Lee Sung Yeol; and sitting on the moss covered rocks, the four of us enjoyed the food in delight.

It was such a heartening moment for me, to sit on the beach, under the stars with three of my favorite men; and it helped me from letting my mind wander off to matters which were much complex.

When we were giving Sung Gyu the presents, Woohyun urging him to open each and every one of them, I realized I had forgotten to place the present I had bought for him; it was probably still in my bag. Seeing this, I swiftly climbed up on my feet.

“I forgot to bring the present” I informed Woohyun, who was giving me a questioning look. “I left it in my hotel room”

“Really?” Woohyun said, climbing up on his feet. “Do you want me to come with you?”

I shook my head, feeling another two pairs of eyes on me. One particular pair though, I felt as though they were burning holes through my head. “It’s okay…I can go alone-,”

“No” Said Sung Gyu out of the blue. “There’s no hurry, Eunji, you can give it to me later on…”

I nodded and sat back on the mossed rock, right beside Kim Myung Soo.

 

 

Later that night, when all had gone on their separate ways and respective rooms, I returned to mine and found the wrapped present I bought for Sung Gyu and called him up to see where he was. The word was that he would only be staying the night (Which was quite saddening for me), planning to leave the next morning, so it was for the best that I give him his present tonight itself, before his birthday ended. He told me that he was still at the place where we held his birthday surprise, therefore I put on myself a cardigan, brushed my hair a little to look presentable and walked out into the salty night air.

When I approached the beach I could make out the lean, dark silhouette of him standing on the wet sane, his head lowered, watching the waves linger by his feet before retrieving into the big blue. He was dressed in beige pants and a black shirt ed with a simple white t-shirt underneath (which, probably unaware to him, showed unnecessary details which brought a rush of something warm running through my veins) with his soft dark hair dancing merrily in the breeze coming from the ocean, his shirt swaying along it as though they were indigenous bat wings, Kim Sung Gyu looked just fine.

I took a deep breath then, clutching the box tightly in my hands and stepped towards him. Upon sensing my arrival, Sung Gyu looked up and gave me a smile.

“Oh…you came…” He stated, turning to me. My heart was doing somersaults inside my chest, my head was light, chest was heavy and eyes never moved from his sight. I was nervous beyond belief.

With another sharp inhale, I took the present in both my hands and held it out towards him, lowering my gaze towards his bare feet. He had rolled up his trousers a bit and even the rosy tips of his toes were beautiful. Kim Sung Gyu was implausible.

He looked at my hands and snorted heartily. “Jung Eunji…you’re unbelievable!”

I stayed silent and urged him to take it. He laughed a bit in response; however he simply reached out and took the box in his hands.

“Open it” I told him.

“Shall I?” He asked with a smile.

“Hmm” I gave him an appraising nod.

With his smile still unwavering on his lips, Sung Gyu began to gently undo the wrapped paper as though it too was something precious to be kept. His brows furrowed a little out of curiosity then, his fingers deftly tugging onto the paper, and ever so slowly, returning to his smile, he pulled the slim box out from the half undone wrapper.

The moment his eyes landed on the content though, his smile vanished, eyes furrowed, replacing his cheery expression by something…eccentric; something that I couldn’t exactly grasp. An expression which so clearly explained to me that he was evidently hiding something which I wasn’t abided to know.

After staring into it for a moment, he looked up at me, I smiled, and I saw that he was trying to, which came out as a lopsided smirk.

“It’s a tie…Eunji”

Out of all the options I had for him, I picked a tie; since it seemed less intimate, less affluent and more decent for me to offer him one as a present.

I figured though, there was something extremely wrong? He probably didn’t like it then. Which made my heart fall and shatter into million pieces. I should have known.

“Why? Don’t you like it?” I asked, out of curiosity.

He chuckled, sounding quite…sad and glanced back at the neatly folded red tie in the box. “It-it’s not…that…It’s a tie…Eunji…and I’m sorry…” He placed the lid back on the box, covering the tie under it and held it towards me. “I’m sorry…I honestly am…but I can’t accept it…”

It must have been due to the salty breeze, but my eyes prickled with tears. “But why?”

He took my hand, placed the box in it, placing my other hand over it and folded the wrapper into four before stuffing it into his pocket.

“I would take anything in the world from you, Eunji…but not this… I’m so sorry...”

“But why?”

He gave me a sad smile and patted on top of my head. “You’re such a young little one, aren’t you…? I suggest you go and ask Woohyun…he would tell you why…”

I nodded, sadly and held the box tightly against my chest.

“But of course, Eunji…I’m grateful for all that you did for me. I don’t need gifts and presents from you…” He said, looked down at me and smiled. “Only you being here when I turned quarter of hundred is more than enough for me…”

His very words made me feel warm and fuzzy inside; thus I looked up, gave him a smile and replied; “I wish you would live for another hundred more…”

 

 

Woohyun was at the patio outside the hotel curb as his mother had told me, sipping on lime juice when I went in search for him. I was upset, truly, for I had no idea why Sung Gyu rejected my gift (Although he did so in such a lovely manner) and I needed answers. Just as Sung Gyu said, out of the two, Woohyun was the best source; Myung Soo, who had disappeared, apparently once more, had a bigger tendency of pouncing on me the moment his eyes landed on me.

Woohyun greeted me when I stood beside him, overlooking the big blue and gave me a concerned look when he had noticed that I wasn’t in my best mood.

“Aey! What’s with the long face?”

I made a dramatic movement and lowered my head. “Sung Gyu didn’t accept my present…”

He placed his glass on the nearest table and turned to me. “He didn’t? Why?”

“I don’t know…” I shook my head.

He looked down at my hands and took them in his. “What did you give him?” Yet, without waiting for my answer, Woohyun took the box from my hand and removed the lid. No sooner then, his eyes filled with mischief. I cocked my head to a side questioningly.

“Eunji…you gave him a tie?”

I nodded. He continued to smile with amusement and mischief before replacing the lid on it and placing it on table where his unfinished glass rested.

“Eunji…you gave him a tie. A red tie…there’s no wonder he didn’t accept it!”

I raised my brows. “What do you mean?”

He looked at me, definitely amused. “You didn’t know?”

“Know what?”

He cleared his throat. “That giving a red tie to a man has an underlying meaning to it…”

Quizzically, I continued to watch his face. Him who must have understood that I got nothing of it, stared at me in return. He muttered something under his breath which I couldn’t really grasp; then all of a sudden, surprising all the heavens out of me, he leaned over, s his hand around my waist, pulling me closer against him and suddenly buried his head at the crook of my neck.

Flabbergasted by his sudden conduct, I remained unmoving. I didn’t know, neither could I figure out what was happening then; for a moment I remained still, my hands pressed against his shoulder, eyes widened, wondering what on earth to do next.

After a few awkward seconds then, he raised his head just enough to reach my ear and whispered in a low husky tone, sending a series of thunderbolts through my veins in a hot, white rush.

“Jung Eunji…do you want me?”

I widened my eyes in surprise. “Woo-Woohyun…”

He blew a rush of warm air into my ear and I stayed still and stiff. I honestly thought he was being all serious, and I was horrified out of my breath all until he buried his face on my shoulder and broke out into a hearty laughter. Realizing that he had been putting up a nasty act, I stepped back and smacked him hard on his chest.

“You idiot! You scared me!”

He went on laughing and ruffled my hair. “You’re so cute!”

“Shut it!”

He went on laughing as I watched him with annoyance. He finally returned to his posture then, and still looking amused, he spoke. “Giving a red tie to a man is a secret message by a woman saying that she wants an intimate relationship with him…Eunji”

I widened my eyes, cheeks burning with embarrassment.

So that’s why he rejected it?

I suddenly had the urge to go and hit my head on the nearest wall until it bled. Did he really think that I was asking for an…intimate relationship?

I wanted to melt into a puddle and get stomped on.

“!” I exclaimed, horrified. “Does-does it mean…that…” I cleared my throat. “That what I think it is?”

He chuckled heartily. “More or less, yes…since it’s a red tie”

I covered my face in embarrassment as he went on laughing. “Ah! What do I do now?”

“Do you want him, Sung Gyu hyung…? Jung Eunji?” he asked, still in that amused tone, so I hit him on his head. “Shut up! I don’t!”

He laughed and took the box in his hand. “Tell you what? Since you wanted to give it, we’ll just nicely put it into his bag…you know, it wouldn’t hopefully give the same meaning…we can’t let it go on waste, eh?”

I stared at him for a while and finally nodded. “Ah…alright…but you sure that it wouldn’t mean it right?”

He nodded. “I guess…but don’t worry…he’s our Hyung…he won’t think of you bad…”

I recalled how he refused to accept it and gave Woohyun a nod. “Okay…I trust you then”

Woohyun took his glass and the present then, and with a quick goodbye, he retreated to his room.

 

Since it was quite too early for me to go to sleep, I stayed on the patio, enjoying the scenery and the balmy wind heading on my way. I was worried, honestly, wondering if he understood me in the wrong way, but then again, he called me a child; he probably have figured out that I knew nothing about it.

The waves crashed perpetually on the shore, and the ship seemed to have moved only an inch in my vision. The cold wind was salty and nice; enjoying it, I closed my eyes. No sooner though, I felt presence beside me. Thinking that it was Woohyun, I remained still, not wanting to suffer his mockery once more.

After a moment though, I was proved that I was wrong.

“You confessed to him, didn’t you?”

It was, apparently, a very confused Kim Myung Soo.

Surprised by his statement, I widened my eyes and stepped away. What could have caused such a great misunderstanding?

“What?”

Myung Soo eyes, which were brighter at that time were now filled with hot fire. I didn’t know why he was acting up this way. Myung Soo had always been such a mystery; we could never tell what he was thinking just by looking into those deep pair of eyes; we’d be confused, lied to and betrayed by them; the innocence he held on them, at times I doubted if they ever did exist.

His cold stiff hands grasped tightly onto my arms. “You confessed to Woohyun that you liked him, didn’t you, Eunji?”

I stared at him, amused at his conduct and made a quick laugh. “Jealous are we now, Myung Soo-yah?”

His hands on my arms loosened gradually then, and his eyes focused on his feet.

“Yes…” he said, after a while, surprising me out of my soul and focused his eyes into mine. Seeing into the depth of them, realization slowly dawned on me; cringing my heart in despair. There, in his eyes was the message that he had been desperately trying to pass to me all the while, the message that I had always failed to grasp, the message which must have meant so much to him. Have I overlooked it? Have I not seen it? Had I been blind? Or blinded by all the illusions around me? However though, I had failed to see something that I should have grasped probably for quite a while, a message, if it had been prior to now, would have meant so, so much to me;

But now…

“Yes…Eunji” he repeated, his tone almost a whisper. “For the first time in my life…I’m jealous of another guy…all this time, I had always been able to get the girl I wanted just by a single glance, I didn’t even have to try…but I’m jealous now…because, after all this time, Eunji… I couldn’t catch the heart of the girl that I truly and always loved…”

Everything broke inside me in an insanely powerful blow; my heart pounded so hard, head throbbing in despair, and as would a broken cassette, the very same words rolled on and on in my mind.

‘Eunji, he had loved you…he had loved you’

But I didn’t love him anymore.

“You don’t believe me now, do you?” He looked at the sky and scoffed mockingly. “I must have sounded like a joke…”

“Myung Soo…”

He sighed, ignoring me and stepped closer, invading my personal space. “I don’t care now, though….I feel dejected already so I’m going to just go ahead, admit it and put my heart into rest…”

I couldn’t utter another word then, and he didn’t seem to cease his words either; going on as would one an unsung song.

“It had been very very restless for such a long time; whenever you talk, smile, laugh…when you call my name, when we hold hands…when you sleep on my lap…it beats so, so fast…and I thought I would die…”

I remained extremely still as he stepped closer and closer. “But everything is so unfair….don’t you think, Eunji? Just when I try to do something good for us, for you and me…you unconsciously kick it away and move along…I should have seen it coming though; seeing that you’re being pushed to an incompatible destination…I shouldn’t have been blinded by my beliefs…”

Myung Soo had always been deep with his words. Confused by his statements, I went ahead and asked; “Be-beliefs?”

He smiled, nodded and took my hand in his. He was warm then, while my hand was cold. I could feel callouses on the softness of their tips and the how warmly mine fit into them.

“Hmm…it has been a long time now…since I realized…but I didn’t want things to change between us. I wanted us to remain friends…I was afraid, Eunji…I was afraid I would lose you if I let this friendship to change…so that’s why-,”

“You asked Naeun out…” I whispered in disbelief.

He nodded guiltily and dropped my hand. “That was so gullible of me. I really thought getting into a relationship will make things better, but what all that did was making it worse…I became desperate, I couldn’t live a day without you….and when you said…Woohyun…” He inhaled deeply and stepped even closer, almost towering over me and cupped my face in his hands. My heart began to pound harder, my mind hay wired; not even my conscious allow me to move away.

He needs it, Jung Eunji…just give in, at least for now’

“I won’t let anyone take you away from me…anyone…” He whispered and with that, he leaned in and pressed his lips onto mine.

For a moment I remained unfazed, counting the seconds which passed by. My eyes were wide open while his were closed, holding my face in both his hands; he trembled when a rush of cold wind passed by and nibbled lightly on my lips, sending bolts of euphoria through my veins. He was soft, almost a touch of an angel, parting my lips diligently, fingers drawing patterns unknown; unconsciously then I closed my eyes, recalled the time of two years we had spent together and responded to him myself.

Everything burned inside me then, to know, to think that I had overlooked it when he had been there for me all along. I had loved he, he was my first love and he too, unaware to me, had loved me back; if only, just like he said, he wasn’t blinded by his believes, things would have been much, much different, we would have come together, we would have become one.

But fate was such a cruel thing, god had proved that we weren’t fated to be; I had moved on, I had fallen for another, and no matter how much his lips softly, gently and graciously nipped, tugged pulled onto mine, no matter how much it overwhelmed me with so much of emotions, I figured, nothing was going to change between us; I wouldn’t be able to return to him the feelings which he begged to me, this way, to return.

When we parted from each other, finally; it was as though ages had passed by. The tingling sensation of his mouth was still lingering on mine, the air between us held a reticent message. Myung Soo smiled at me then, the saddest smile I had ever seen on him; feeling embarrassed, being it the first time that I was kissed so intimately, I lowered my head; he caressed my cheek and I stood still.

After a while though, I felt him swiftly move away.

“Hyung…”

I looked up, befuddled; only to see Sung Gyu standing a few feet away from us; his face had turned grave, something strong had clouded his eyes, his phone blinking in his hands. I was fazed, my skin running cold; I had no words to respond with.

He however seemed to have something else, something much different in his mind. His eyes focused onto mine.

“Eunji….Howon called”

I remained silent, quietly urging him to continue.

“You need to go back home, tonight…”

“Why?” I managed to whisper. He came over and held his phone towards me.

“It’s your father….”


Excuse me for the long long long chapter.

Enjoy!!

I'd give you an authors note later, I think I need to talk to you all.

Sorry for taking too long.

Love; Achini.