Ch. 7 Just This Once

Bonds & Destiny

Bonds & Destiny Ch. 7 : Just This Once

              

               Through the night it was hard for Myungsoo to fall asleep because of his intense fever, and coughing. He was thankful he didn't wake up Myungsol in the next room. Looking around the familiar setting in the dark night he remembered nights he spent in this exact room with Sungyeol, this used to be their room. The pillows had Sungyeol's scent on them, the same scent as his shampoo. Turning over to his side he caressed his face onto the pillows, little did Sungyeol knew he really missed Sungyeol so much even thought he was just in the next room. Myungsoo blamed the nostalgia on his fever. He wasn't thinking straight.

               Myungsoo turned around his body shook as he made some violent coughs. It was a horrible idea to wait that long in the cold steps, perhaps if he hadn't been there that night Myungsol wouldn't have argued with Sungyeol, and Myungsol wouldn't have gone missing for that long. Always, it seems like he was the one who messed up everything, just like the last time...when they lost their second baby.

               The door of the bedroom creaked open, unexpectingly to Myungsoo; Sungyeol stood by the door peering in quietly.

               "Myung-ah...are you ok? You've been coughing up all night..." Sungyeol said with worry coming over and placing a thermometer in Myungsoo's ear. "You're fever got worse! Here...I brought you some water."

               "Ani...Yeol..."Myungsoo shook his head on the bed, not wanting to concern Sungyeol. Inside he wanted Sungyeol to stay so badly. Sungyeol sat down on the mattress and handed Myungsoo the glass, and the older man took it thankfully.

               As Sungyeol was about to get up he felt a warm hand grab onto his wrist. Myungsoo's hand was hot against his skin.

               "....Can you stay...just for tonight." Myungsoo whispered his request childishly, causing Sungyeol's heart to beat a bit faster. " Please..."

               Sungyeol nodded hesitantly. Myungsol was tucked in safe and sound in the next room, and it was for the best if he didn't bring their baby into the room too, incase  he catch something from Myungsoo. Sungyeol sat down on the other side of the mattress pulling the blanket up to get in. Things were suppose to be awkward between them, but somehow being with Myungsoo right now just felt so right, so he choose to forget about their current marital status and lay down beside Myungsoo. There was a foot of separation between them until Sungyeol felt Myungsoo rashly pull him in closer. He felt his cheeks caressed against Myungsoo's warm neck and chest.

               "Myung-ah!"

               "Shh....just...for tonight..."

               They stayed silent in the dark. Myungsoo's body was very warm due to the fever but he was coughing less now. Sungyeol relaxed his body in Myungsoo's embrace, he really miss this familiar scent, slowly Sungyeol s his arms around his Ex-husband, face still resting warmly against Myungsoo's chest, and slowly he found himself dozing off into slumber.

               "I really miss you..." Sungyeol mumbled quietly, not conscious enough to know what he had just admitted.

               "I miss you too baby..." Myungsoo whispered, knowing Sungyeol can't hear him now.

               Morning came abruptly for the two of them as they were awoken to the sound of keys unlocking the doors. It was still early in the morning. Sounds of heels clicked on the wooden floor as the bedroom door open abruptly.

               "Sungyeolll Umma is he__!" An older woman ran in on the couple as they still haven't adjusted to the current intrusion. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?...WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING?! EXPLAIN NOW!!!"

               Mrs. Lee shrieked at the sight of Myungsoo. Still very ill Myungsoo couldn't recognize the situation clearly yet, and his vision was still blurry from being woken up so abruptly. Sungyeol was still in his arms. Sungyeol squinted at the figure by their bedroom door, his vision slowly adjusted and he was met at with the sight of his angry mother.

               "Mom!...W..What are you doing here...this early in the morning?"  Sungyeol called out, getting out of Myungsoo's hold.

               "You're asking me?! S..Sungyeol What is your Ex-husband doing here! Why are you too sleeping together like that!?" Mrs. Lee questioned. Disapproval was written all over her face. It was ridiculous, but Sungyeol felt as if he was a teenager caught by his mother sleeping around with his boyfriend.

               "Mom please calm down...and lower your voice...you're going to wake up Myungsol."

               Luckily Myungsol took a lot after his father Myungsoo, and one of them being that he's a heavy sleeper, and early mornings wasn't his specialty.

               "O...O..omo...Sungyeol ah have you gotten back with this man?! Did you forget how much pain he caused you?And...if it wasn't for him...you wouldn't have lost___!"

               "Umma! Please..." Sungyeol cut her off before she remind him of any more painful memories.

               Myungsoo thought his Ex-mother-in-law was really too much, speaking as if he was a complete stranger.

               "Excuse me Eommanim, even if we get back together, it's our choice, not yours." Myungsoo argued.

               "HAH! Aiiigooo...you dare say that to me?! If it wasn't for you ...my Sungyeolie would've had a better life...he could've gone to college...or better...married Hoya...and not a poor bump photographer like you...he wouldn't have to suffer being poor with you!!!"

               "Umma ! Please just stop right now!!!" Sungyeol cried out, he felt hot tears falling down his cheeks just listening to his mother's words. It hurts to hear those words from his mother about Myungsoo.

               "No! I have to tell him! So he knows his place!" Mrs. Lee went on, " ...And if not for you he wouldn't have had that miscarriage! Did you forget?!"

               Myungsoo stayed silent, although a lot of things she said was he could ignore, but the last one hit Myungsoo through the heart, because it was true. It really was his fault they lost their baby, it was his damn temper, his damn lack of ability to be a good enough husband, that was something that always ate at his conscience.

               "I'm sorry Eommanim." Myungsoo looked down and swallowed his pride. Still very dizzy from his fever he got up and retrieve his keys, " I'm sorry for all the trouble Sungyeol...I'll come back later in the weekend to pick up Myungsol. Tell him goodbye for me."

               "No! Myung__ You don't have to leave!" Sungyeol said desperately following behind.

               "OH good riddance you're leaving!" Mrs. Lee huffed, fanning herself. Sungyeol turned around giving his mother a dirty look.

               "Myung__ please...don't take what Mom said to heart!" Sungyeol said pulling at Myungsoo's arm.

               "No...it's ok...don't worry about it...she's right...about everything. I'm sorry." Myungsoo said heading out the door.

               "Myung__!" Sungyeol called out in desperation, but it was not use, Myungsoo already headed out, closing the door behind him. The sound of the car engine sounded and he could hear Myungsoo leaving.

               He let out a big sigh of frustration, turning back to his mother.

               "Umma! Why did you say those horrible things! Please, I'm old enough to manage my own life." Sungyeol protested, still trying to keep his voice calm not wanting to start another argument. He didn't want Myungsol to witness anymore fights.

               "Wae!!? Am I wrong to worry about you! My own child! Sungyeol...you don't know how relieved I was when you finally divorced that man!"

               "Please Umma! Don't go around talking like that. I don't want Myungsol to hear you talk about Myungsoo like that. I don't want to hear you talk about him like that."

               "Sungyeol-ah! Wake up! From the beginning he wasn't right for you! If you had listen to Umma and Appa things wouldn't have ended up like this! He ruined your future!"

               "My future is for me to decide Umma!" Sungyeol couldn't feel more frustrated, "Please...leave me now...I don't want to talk about this anymore...I don't want Myungsol to wake up to this..."

               "Darling, I just want what best for you..." Mrs. Lee cooed, holding on to Sungyeol's arm  trying to calm him down. " Look I didn't  want to come here to fight with you, I wanted to come to tell you something..."

               "Please just stop." Sungyeol refusing to listen.

               "No, listen to me, for Myungsol's future, perhaps you should look into remarrying, and...you know Hoya...is still waiting for you..." Mrs. Lee said gently.

               "Myungsoo and I already have our own plan, you can stop worrying about me."Sungyeol was currently shaking from trying to hold in tears of frustration. "Umma, please...you're making it worse for me."

               "Myungsoo, Myungsoo! Even divorced you still bring him into the picture. Well what kind of plan do you have? Get back together?! So he can ruin the rest of your life some more? I can't stand things being like this, he's already taking up too much space in your new life right now! Sooner or later he'll worm his way into your heart again and then crush it into millions of pieces like he always do!"

               "Eeomma...where's Appa!?" Myungsol's little voice called out.

               "Oo..omoo my aegi you're awake" Sungyeol wiped his eyes, and came over to Myungsol.

               The little boy looked up at the older woman staring at her intently with pleading eyes.

               "Grandma...did you shoo away Appa again?" Myungsol asked pouting sadly, lips trembling.

               "Oomo no no baby it's nothing like that. Appa just had to go home to work." Sungyeol cooed, trying to calm down his son. Looking at his mother he began to speak again, " Umma didn't you say you were leaving just now?"

               "Aiiigoo..." The older woman quietly whined, not wanting her precious grandchild to sense her annoyance.

               Sighing in relief Sungyeol hugged his baby for comfort.

               "Eeomma...are you sad about something?" Myungsol questioned.

               "No baby, Mom is just sleepy." Sungyeol denied. He was really worried about Myungsoo. Sungyeol knew that Myungsoo will really take his mother's words to heart, and more than just that he was worried about Myungsoo's physical condition, since the older man left in sickeness.

               "Baby, you want to visti Appa after school today?"

               "Uh huh!" Myungsol nodded in agreement.           

 

               Everything at Myungsoo's house for a sick person. All he had left to eat was ramen, and instant udon. Nothing was suitable for a sick person He rubbed his eyes warily. His fever still haven't gone away, and he felt like a child for being sick more than a day. Myungsoo hadn't gotten sick for a while so the feeling was uncomfortable for him, but at least it helped distract him from thinking too much about the early morning event.

               Returning to his work table he shuffled through folders of films he had for clients. The sickness was slowing him down from work as well. He organized his work between coughs, until he heard the doorbell ring repeatedly. Sluggishly he made his way to the door, and to his surprise he was met by a tiny koala clinging to his leg.

               "DAD!" Myungsol called out gleefully, clinging to Myungsoo. Sungyeol gave him a gentle smile as he waved up a box.

               "We brought you some chicken porridge, a few other stuff, and medicine." Sungyeol said

               "Myungsol helped Eeomma cook it for you Appa!" His little child said happily.

               The two entered and Sungyeol went through the kitchen to set up the food.

               "As expected I knew you wouldn't have real food at home."

               "Hmph." Myungsoo chunkled. The two stood at the kitchen counter as they watch little Myungsol turn on the T.V. to catch his afternoon shows.

               "...Myungsoo-ah...I'm sorry..." Sungyeol said guiltily.

               "...Don't be..." Myungsoo began sadly, "...she's right anyways."

               "Ani..she's not...I...I never once thought that..." Sungyeol said desperately hoping Myungsoo would understand. Although Sungyeol was the one who suggested the divorce, it wasn't for the reasons his mother had said. He didn't care if Myungsoo didn't have money, he never once thought Myungsoo was a useless photographer, what more, he was proud to marry such a talented photographer, and he never blamed Myungsoo for anything that happened in the past.

               "...." Myungsoo looked away.

               "Please believe me, I never blamed you...for any of it...it's not your fault." Sungyeol reasoned, placing a hand on Myungsoo's arm.

               "...But...part of what she said is true...it was my fault." Myungsoo said sadly.

               "No..." Sungyeol disagreed.

               "...*sigh*...Anyways...let's eat, I'm really hungry" Myungsoo said changing the topic.

               The three of them ate the food happily before Sungyeol and Myungsol returned home. Myungsol was extra happy the evening since he got to spend time with both Appa and Umma. 

                          Ignoring his own guilt, hurt, and pride Myungsoo was happy to be able to eat together with Sungyeol and Myungsol. And just this once, he felt as if they had turned back to what they were before during the happy times.

 

 

AN: I just want to THANK YOU AGAIN too all who have subscribed, voted, and commented on the story. I really really love reading all your feedback and response. It gives me a lot of joy hihihi...I really read all of them well. 

Thank you for supporting thus far. I love you all my readers.