Ch. 6: We're a Family

Bonds & Destiny

Bonds & Destiny : We're a Family

              

               Myungsoo disregard Sungyeol's request and followed behind him inside the house with Myungsol in his Ex's arms. Myungsol clapped his hands together in joy upon seeing his father follow them inside.

               "Yay, is Appa sleeping here tonight?" He call out joyfully.

               "No, baby Appa has to go home now" Sungyeol said sternly still mad at Myungsoo about earlier.

               "No, Appa is staying here." Myungsoo argued smiling gently to his son.

               Sungyeol put Myungsol down before turning to Myungsoo in discomfort giving him a look. Myungsoo stared back at him casually giving him a smirk as he ruffled Myungsol's hair. Sungyeol lean down towards Myungsol motioning him to go inside his room.

               "Baby Umma and Appa is going to talk for a little bit, why don't you go inside first and prepare for bed ok? You have school tomorrow." Sungyeol hugged his son and gave him a pat on the back. The little boy obediently went inside. Crossing his arms Sungyeol gave Myungsoo a stern look.

               "What are you planning Kim Myungsoo?" Sungyeol said eying him.

               "What do you mean?" Myungsoo challenged in return, standing his ground. It was upsetting enough to see Hoya with his "wife" and kid, and now Sungyeol is giving him an attitude.

               "I mean why are you here?" Sungyeol said with a hint of bitterness in his voice. Before Myungsoo could answer Sungyeol continued on, " You were suppose to pick up Myungsol, where were you? How could you forget!?"

               "I didn't forget! I just lost track of time." Myungsoo argued, "Besides, why did you have to call Hoya!"

               "I didn't call Hoya! He just came by to visit my mother."

               "Sure, and I'm sure she was the one that called him over, now that I'm out of the way." Myungsoo said mockingly.

               "What are you trying to say." Sungyeol said narrowing his eyes.

               "As if you don't know what I mean, you're mother has been trying to set you up with Hoya for years."

               "Let's not talk about this...right now..." Sungyeol protested.

               "And why not?! Might as well get it out of the way! What? Pretend you don't know then..." Myungsoo rolled his eyes at Sungyeol.

               "And what about you? Huh, if you had a DATE then you could've told me you didn't have time to pick up OUR son. You don't have to let our baby wait on you, hoping you'd come!" Sungyeol yelled in anger.

               "What are you even talking about?!" Myungsoo argued back, " DON'T go making random accusations at me!!"

               "WHAT!? Am I wrong?" Sungyeol stared at Myungsoo intently, deep down his heart hurt thinking about what he saw that afternoon.

               "You don't even make sense!" Myungsoo growled in anger. " AND what about yourself!? Just because I'm out of the picture, and Hoya's back you quickly jump at an opportunity to see him! Isn't that right!?"

               "CAN YOU JUST STOP BRINGING HOYA INTO THE PICTURE RIGHT NOW?!!" Sungyeol yelled out in frustration at Myungsoo's accusations. " It's Myungsol I'm talking about!"

               "Myungsol!? Well Myungsol would be better off with me if you have to bring in a stranger to help you take care of him!" Myungsoo argues.

               " You're the one who forgot to pick up our son! And now you're even suggesting such a thing to me?! You are impossible Kim Myungsoo!" Sungyeol shook his head at the older man.

               "I TOLD YOU! I didn't forget!" Myungsoo yelled back.

From a distant peep through the open crack Myungsol held on to the wooden door with both hands. His lips trembled at the sight of his parents yelling mean things at each other. The child eyes started to burn as droplets of tears rushed down. His little hands  made its way to his face trying to rub away the tears.

               "....Appa...Eeomma... Did..Sol make you fight?" The child whispered to himself behind the door. His parents were bickering outside, and it hurts Myungsol that he couldn't do anything about it.

               "Of course you didn't, because you were on your date right?...Look I'm not trying to stop you from possibly meeting other people in the future...or starting a new family...but please don't jeopardize our son in your personal matters..." Sungyeol knew he might have gone too far, but anger over took him, and deep down his own words hurt him far more than it did Myungsoo.

               "I really don't know what you mean...And...how could you even think that I would jeopardize our son!? Myungsol is the most important person in my life!" Myungsoo still confused at Sungyeol's words, and a bit hurt at even suggesting that he could move on.

               "...I saw you...today..."

               " WHAT?...I!..." Myungsoo didn't fully register, but slowly he started to understand what Sungyeol was talking about.

               "It's ok...I don't want to know what kind of relationship you have with that person...just...next time...tell me...then I can ask someone else to get Myungsol..." Sungyeol looked away, afraid Myungsoo would see him almost crying.  "Just...go home...Myungsoo...you don't have to explain anything to me...it doesn't matter..."

               Sungyeol quickly leave the living room, leaving Myungsoo alone. He headed towards the bedroom where Myungsol was. Myungsoo stood in silence looking down at the floor. He desperately wanted to tell Sungyeol it wasn't what he thought at all, but because they were too caught up with each other's words he couldn't explain properly. It hurts that Sungyeol seem to not care whether Myungsoo see other people or not, it hurts more knowing that Sungyeol was probably upset because he fail to pick up their son...and that is the ONLY reason Sungyeol might be mad. What Myungsoo didn't know was that he thought wrong.

               Myungsoo stood frozen registering the mess that had unfolded a few seconds earlier until Sungyeol ran out of the room. He was pale, and his face look panicked.

               "Myungsoo-ah I can't find Myungsol!" Sungyeol ran out of the room in panic, " He's not in his room!"

               "WHAT!? What do you mean he's not in his room?" Myungsoo questioned nervously.

               "I...I don't know. I looked everywhere he's not in the bathroom, or the bedroom...and....his...window...was open...w..what if...someone...bad...came in...while....we were...." Sungyeol explained. He slowly started feeling nervous and started hyperventilating.

               "Baby...it's ok...calm down..." Myungsoo forgetting their current status and came over to Sungyeol pulling him in close his back gently. Myungsoo was in as much panic as Sungyeol but he didn't showed it, and he knew he had to be strong for them both. Sungyeol wasn't always healthy so when bad situations came he would start to panic to a point of getting sick, or like how he is currently. Myungsoo held him close and continued to his back trying to calm him down.

               "Myung...soo...ah...W...where ...is ...our...baby...?" Sungyeol breathed out. " Where...can..he go? He..'s ..only...five...."

               "Don't worry ok...I'll go look for him right now!" Myungsoo said sitting Sungyeol down on the sofa and grabbing his coat. Sungyeol shook his head refusing.

               "No...I..I want to go with you...we..have to look for him together."

               "Ok." Myungsoo agreed.

First they circled the neighborhood looking along the streets to see if Myungsol was wandering about. Myungsoo search the local convenience stores and asked the clerks to keep an eye out for the five year old kid. Sungyeol searched the shopping center then a thought came to him.

               "Myungsol-ah ! For your birthday Umma will grant you one wish. If practice writing I'll be able to read your note and grant your wish" Sungyeol said to his son.

               "Really !??...but...I don't know how to write yet..." Myungsol pouted sadly.

               "Well you'll have time to practice from now until your birthday!" Sungyeol stated.

               "Yay! Ok Eeomma"

               A few months later Myungsol came to Sungyeol handing him a note.

               "Eeomma ! Here's my wish...but you can't read it until my birthday!" Myungsol said. " It's a secret until then..."

               "Aww...won't you give me a hint?" Sungyeol pretends to be disappointed.

               "Hehe...it's a place I want to go to."

               Sungyeol quickly ran home to dig through the draws for Myungsol's note. He found the pink envelope tucked in one of the compartments. Breaking the seal he opened it and took out the note.

               "For my Birfday I wish Eeomma and Appa can go wif Myungsol to the park togetter, like be4. Eeomma and Appa will luv each otter like be4. And we can live happbilly efer after. "            

               Sungyeol could feel his heart ache as he read Myungsol's note word for word. He didn't know Myungsol was really struggling a lot with their separation even thought the child is very young. He felt so wrong for arguing with Myungsoo and allowing his baby to see their fight.

               Myungsoo came in the house hurriedly, not even bothering to take off his shoes.

               "I...still can't find him...I...looked everywhere..." Myungsoo said dejectedly. "I asked everyone...on the streets."

               "Myung-ah...I think I know where he could've gone." Sungyeol spoke, hoping that he wasn't wrong.

               Little Myungsol sat underneaht the slides knees tucked to his chest holding on to a white teddy as big as himself, possibly even bigger. It was a present from Myungsoo to Sungyeol and now it was handed down to him.

               "Mr. Teddy...do you know...Appa and Eeomma stopped fighting now?" Myungsol the teddy bear and hugging it tight, "...If Myungsol ...is gone...they'll stop fighting right?...But...I'm so cold...and hungry...Mr. Teddy...I wanna go home..."

               Footsteps could be heard shuffling through the park. Myungsol sat still hoping strangers couldn't see him underneath the slides. Familiar voices called out to him.

               "Myungsol! Where are you!" Myungsoo yell out desperately.

               "Baby...Eeomma is sorry! Come out! " Sungyeol cried out, his voice was breaking.

               "Myungsol-ah! Appa is here! Come out"

               Sungyeol stopped to study the premises of the playground looking high and low. From under the slide he caught a glance of a small foot sticking out from underneath it. Myungsol was hugging Mr. Teddy tightly face red, the sight made Sungyeol break into tears.

               "Myungsol!......Omo"Sungyeol pulled his son into a hug.

               "E..Eeoommmmaaaa" Myungsol cried tears and snot falling from his face.

               "Omo..my poor baby...you're face is so cold." Sungyeol cried his hands caressing his baby's face trying to give Myungsol some warmth. " Myungsoo-ah! I found him!"              

               Myungsoo came running over, out of breath, and looking frantic until he saw Myungsol in Sungyeol's arms. Myungsoo took off his jacket and place it over his baby and Sungyeol. The two carried their baby to the car.

               "Myungsoo-ah hurry, I'm afraid he'll get sick. His face is so cold right now." Sungyeol said with worry in his voice. "There there baby we're almost home..."

               Myungsol was sitting snuggled in Sungyeol's lap wrapped in his Appa's coat. His nose was and eyes were red, and slowly he was falling asleep on the ride home. When they reached home Sungyeol took him to the bedroom, changed him into PJs and put him to sleep. Myungsoo helped Sungyeol bring in the blankets for Myungsol.

               The couple sighed in relief both looking at the sleeping Myungsol. Sungyeol tiredly lean onto Myungsoo's shoulders burying his face into Myungsoo's chest as the older man wrapped his arms around Sungyeol. Myungsoo rested his chin on Sungyeol's head.

               "You should get some rest too it's getting late." Sungyeol spoke up.

               "I'm ok, just worry about Myungsol." Myungsoo said still holding Sungyeol. "..A...aa..achoo!"

               Sungyeol looked up at him worriedly, " Myung-ah...did you catch a cold?"

               "A..ni..don't worry about it." Myungsoo brushed it off. " I'm..a..ah..achoo!..uugh..."

               "No" Sungyeol pressed on, placing a hand on Myungsoo's forehead. "...You're burning up..."

               Sungyeol grabbed some PJs and blankets from the closet for Myungsoo.

               "You...still keep them?" Myungsoo said looking at the black pajamas.

               "..Y.yeh I...still keep all your...stuff...as is." Sungyeol said feeling his face raise in temperature, this made Myungsoo very happy.

               "Y..you can sleep in our...I mean my room, I'll sleep with Myungsol tonight." Sungyeol suggested giving Myungsoo a warm smile. "And...I'm sorry...about earlier...I didn't mean to accuse you...I'm not sure what it was...but...I shouldn't have jumped to conclusion without listening to you first..."

               "...Yeol...I'm sorry too...BUT...trust me...it's not what you think...I was just helping him out ..since his car broke down in the middle of the road...and he asked me to help me pick out something for his boyfriend because we have similar styles...trust me..." Myungsoo said earnestly holding onto Sungyeol's hand.

               "Ok...I...understand now..." Sungyeol said with a small smile of relief. "And...the...Hoya ..thing...he was visiting my mom... didn't ask him to come. I was on my way to pick up Myungsol myself..."

               "Ok.." Myungsoo said.

               "Um..goodnight Myungsoo."

               "Goodnight Sungyeol..." Myungsoo said slowly getting up and planting a kiss on Sungyeol's forehead.