Ch. 3 Parent Teacher Day!

Bonds & Destiny

Bonds & Destiny ch.3

Parent Teacher Day!

 

               The child huffed back and forth pacing the living room. After the weekend with his dad he came back very energetic, but after the following day Sungyeol didn't understand why his little baby was in a foul mood. When Sungyeol picked him up from school little Myungsol didn't say word on the way back. He just pouted and stared out the window. Usually he was quite energetic afterschool. Myungsol was a lot like his father, when there is something upsetting he keeps it inside, even as much as Sungyeol tries he can't get a word out of him.

               " Baby, tell me what's wrong?" Sungyeol said from the driver's seat. The boy simply shook his head. " Did mom do something to upset you?" Sungyeol asks gently.

               "Ani..." The boy said.

               "Didn't you just had a lot of fun with Appa? Whats wrong today?"

               Sungyeol was racking his brain trying to figure out what was upsetting his little baby, but the boy was as stubborn as his father. The moment they stepped inside the house Myungsol took off his shoes, and threw his little backpack on the sofa.

               "I'm gonna go to my room now Eeomma." He said in a serious tone, then hugged Sungyeol before excusing himself. Sungyeol decided to let him have his space for now while doing a little investigation of his own. He reached for Myungsol's backpack. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary inside the little boy's bag, just his homework folder, crayons, pencil bag, lunch, except for a crinkled flyer. He knew Myungsol was like his father, so he hated messy items, especially loose papers, or any sort of things that can clutter his bag. Sungyeol reached for the flyer and began to unfold it. Immediately Sungyeol began to know why his son was behaving that way.

               COME JOIN US! WOOLIM ELEMENTARY ANNUAL PARENT TEACHER DAY!

                              This Saturaday the XX(month),XX(dateY),XXXX(ear)! Event start at 9 a.m. til 3 p.m.

               Please join to school to see the progress of our lovely students' hard work so far this year.

               Both parents are encouraged to come.

               SCHOOL SPONSORED PICNIC/LUNCH: Games, food, nice scenery, family activities.

               Sungyeol took a deep breath thinking what was bothering Myungsol. It must be this, the word Both stood out to him like a sore thumb. He remembered several months ago Myungsol had mention something about Parent Teacher Day, but there were so many things going on at that time, because of Sungyeol's new job that it slipped his mind. The feeling of guilt washed over him as he held onto the piece of paper firmly. They did say both parents are encourage, not mandatory, so it might be ok if Myungsoo doesn't come. He still find it hard to talk to Myungsoo after their break, whenever they did get a chance to talk the memories of bitter fights just came back again. He went into Myungsol's room to find the boy slouch over his desk, and resting his chin on his arms. He approached Myungsol cautiously.

               "Baby, did you want to go to this?" Sungyeol held up the wrinkled paper. That took Myungsol by surprised and the boy frowned further shaking his head.

               "No! I don't want to."

               "Why not? I remember a few months ago you really wanted to go."

               "I don't want to...all the other kids are bringing both their parents..."

               "You want me to ask Appa if he want to come too?" Sungyeol said with a smile. Myungsol light when he heard the offer, but he quickly died down again.

               "But...I don't know if Appa has time to go..." Myungsol pouted.

               "Don't worry I'll talk to him about it baby." Sungyeol said the boy's hair. He would have to call Myungsoo later about this.

               The next day Sungyeol decided to come early to pick up Myungsol. Usually he got off worked a little later, so he had to ask Myungsol's teacher to look after him that hour after school ended. He saw many children gleefully exiting the campus to meet their parents.

               "Hey Kris are you going to Parent Day!?" A little boy asks a taller boy.

               "Of course! My parents always look forward to go, they went to all my other siblings every year!" The little boy name Kris said to his friend.

               "Mine too! I heard everyone's parents are going."

               It seems that most of the kids are excited to show their progress and  spend time that day with their parents. It's no wonder why Myungsol was so upset about it. He went towards the school yard to find a sight that was disturbing to him. Myungsol was wrestling another kid on the ground giving the other kid a good punch or two. The other kid was bigger than him, but still couldn't fight back against his strength. Their pink haired teacher quickly ran to pull the boys apart. Sungyeol quickly ran to the scene.

               "Myungsol! What is wrong with you?"Sungyeol cried out. His son didn't say a word and just pouted, his shoulders slump, cheeks dirty, and eyes red. He knew Myungsol was a tough kid, so he refused to let his tears show to others. The other little boy thought bigger received more cuts and bruises, and he started crying loudly. Eventually his parents came in and gave the Sungyeol a scolding.

               "YAH! You do you not know how to teach your kid!? What's wrong with young parents these days! This child is so ill mannered! How can you lay hands on other people huh!!" The mother screeched at Sungyeol, her words rang loudly in his ears.

               "I'm very very sorry! Please forgive me!" Bowing repeatedly to the kid's mother.

               "Forgive!? You think your kid can just hit other people's kids and you can be forgiven that easily!? Look a word of advice in parenting if this keeps up you're gonna end up raising another criminal in this society!" The woman's words were harsh, and it made Sungyeol furious inside, but for the sake of peace he held in his pride.

               "I'm sorry...that my child raised his hands on yours...But...how can you say that about a kid!? You have a kid of your own, so as a mother how can you say such a horrible thing? I'm not a perfect parent, but I know my own child, and he wouldn't do such a thing unless provoked! To say he'll grow up a criminal? Don't you think that's going overboard? Why do you have such an evil mouth!? Your son will hear it and learn that from you! Words can hurt even more than physical pain." Sungyeol ranted at the older woman, causing her to stare back speechless. The woman huffed and stomped on her heels as she took her child away.

               Sungyeol look down towards Myungsol with a sigh, the little boy still had the same expression on his face; anger and hurt. His eyes were still red, but no tears were shed. It hurts Sungyeol to see how hard Myungsol was trying to not cry.

              

               "Mr. Lee I...I am so sorry for causing such a commotion." Sungyeol bowed to Myungsol's pink haired teacher. The teacher gently smiled back at Sungyeol.

               "Oh just call me Sungjong, and it's no problem, kids fight everyday then the next day they're friends again, that parent was just being dramatic." Sungjong brushed off trying to make Sungyeol feel a little more comfortable.

               " Now Myungsol, promise me you won't resort of violence anymore?" Sungjong said reaching out to Myungsol for a pinky promise.

               Myungsol nodded in agreement to his teacher in silence still having a pout on his dirt stained face.

               "Don't worry Sungyeol-shi, usually Myungsol is a very good kid in class."Sungjong reassured the parent.

               Before leaving Sungyeol bowed again at the teacher before heading towards the car. Sungyeol remained silent, and he could feel his face getting hot. He wasn't mad at Myungsol, but he was more mad about the situation. Myungsol was silent as well.

               "Myung,...why would you do that?" Sungyeol scolded, his voice trembling. The little boy remain silent for a good minute.

               "Do...do you want Umma to worry?" Sungyeol said trying to keep his voice calm. Myungsol's face frown further and his lips were trembling now.

               "...That..kid called me weird..." Myungsol began. " He told the other kids not to play with me because...my family is weird...Appa and Umma doesn't live together because I'm weird...and Appa and Umma is weird...h..e said...they might...catch my weirdness...if they play with me..." Myungsol's voice cracked. " I...I...I hate...h..im..s..so I punched him..."

               Hearing his son's words broke his heart, and Sungyeol pulled over. He looked to his son and pulled his child into his arms.

               "You're not weird ok baby! I'm sorry...I...I promise you, I'll make things better for us...I'll try my hardest...ok?...Don't EVER let anyone else's words bother you again ok?" Sungyeol patted his baby on the back. " But promise me...don't use violence again ok?...Only if it's an emergency."

               That evening Sungyeol return with Myungsol and the two called up Myungsoo. Myungsol talked with his father for a bit then retreated to his room to do his homework.

               "Myungsoo...I have something I want to ask..." Sungyeol began.

               He told Myungsoo about the Parent Teacher Day, and about the incident that happened with Myungsol and the other kid at school. Myungsoo didn't take it as well as Sungyeol though.

               "That little punkass kid! Where does he live?...I'll go there right now and have a good "talk" with his parents!" Myungsoo ranted over the phone.  

               "Ani...Yeobo! That won't get anywhere you'll just end up getting sued and we can't afford..." Sungyeol stopped himself realizing what he had call Myungsoo. The whole day had been so tense and talking to Myungsoo again about it made him forget their current situation. "I...I'm sorry I forgot."

               "N..No, it's ok." Myungsoo said feeling his heart skipped a beat.

 

               The day for the school's annual Parent Teacher Day came. Family gathered in the classrooms to view the year's progress of student work that was presented on the walls of the school. There were a showcase of essays, poems, artworks, science projects, and math scores all along the walls of the classrooms, and hallways. Myungsoo and Sungyeol entered the art room to view some of the kid's work. There was a nice section for photography and on the top of the board was a piece done by Myungsol. The image showed an image of Sungyeol and Myungsoo resting their heads on each other, and in the middle Myungsol's little face popped up. It was labeled "Family Selca", both Sungyeol and Myungsoo can tell it was a picture taken from last year when they haven't seperated yet. A long the bottom below it were other photos taken by Myungsol with his individual parents at places they had been to. There was a picture of Sungyeol standing in the vegetable idle of a market, a picture of Myungsoo working (taking a picture of the bride and groom) on one of his wedding gigs, and a selca Myungsol took of himself.

               The family was interrupted when Myungsol's teacher approached them.

               "Hello!" Sungjong waved to the couple with a warm smile, " I see you found Myungsol's prize winning pictures. The school had a thing where students can submit any art to go on the wall for the school's art show, so the type of art varied, and little Myungsol here submitted beautiful photography work amongst others, so that's why they are placed here!"

               The couple smiled at their son proudly. Sungyeol and Myungsoo both reached out to touch Myungsol's head but found their own hands meeting instead. The two stared at each other nervously both turning a different direction to avoid the other from seeing their flustered face. Myungsoo pulled let go of Sungyeol's hand at the same time that Sungyeol pulled his hand away. Myungsol stared at both of his parents in question, and pulled them both by the hand to the next room.

               Lunch time came and everyone gathered in the fields for BBQ and other good food. Sungyeol and Myungsoo made themselves comfortable under a tree while Myungsol went with some classmates to play some games.

               "Thanks for coming." Sungyeol said to his Ex.

               "No, it's only right that I be here."Myungsoo said.

               They sat there a few minutes enjoying the tranquil breeze. Myungsoo had missed being with Sungyeol. Without realizing his hands acted on its own. Myungsoo took Sungyeol's hand in his. Sungyeol didn't seem to notice because he was occupied with watching Myungsol play with the other kids.

               Their sweet moment was interrupted when a familiar voice called out to Sungyeol.

               "Sungyeol!" Woohyun called out waving. Myungsoo internally cursed at the man. Woohyun gave Myungsoo a nod in greeting "Myungsoo."

               "Woohyun." Myungsoo greeted back. Myungsoo and Woohyun knew each other through Sungyeol, and Woohyun was Sungyeol's upper classman in high school. He didn't like Myungsoo much in the past because of Myungsoo's aloof attitude, and cold demeanor. People often misunderstood Myungsoo's actions, plus he was pretty possessive of Sungyeol when they were together, so it caused a lot of Sungyeol's friends to dislike Myungsoo.

               "Hyung! What are you doing here!? It's Parent and Teacher Day! You're not a parent, or a teacher. What are you doing here?"

               "Oh hehe I'm here through invitation! I'm seeing the Principal of this school, he asked me to join him." Woohyun cheered. "It was that friend of a friend I told you to see last time. Turns out we have many things in common."

               What Woohyun said struck a nerve in Myungsoo. "What did he mean he told Sungyeol to go see a friend of a friend? How dare this guy act like a nosy matchmaker!" Myungsoo thought to himself clenching his teeth, and fist.

               "Ow..." Sungyeol cried out softly causing attention from Woohyun. Woohyun eyed him and Myungsoo to see Myungsoo's hand holding Sungyeol's. Raising an eyebrow at the two.

               "S..Sorry." Myungsoo said cursing inside at his own temper. He forgot he was holding Sungyeol's hand and had squeezed it too hard out of anger.

               "So you're seeing the principal? Isn't his name....Sunggyu or something?" Sungyeol asked Woohyun.

               "Yeh! He's a friend of a friend" Woohyun smiled. "Hoya's friend."

               The name Hoya caused Sungyeol to internally panic a little. He eyed Myungsoo as he notice a change in the older man. Hoya indirectly was the cause of a lot of misunderstanding between him and Myungsoo. He never blamed Hoya of course because it wasn't his fault at all, it was just the issues between the two of them.

               "Did you know? Hoya's back in the country!" Woohyun said. " We might be meeting up for karaoke, and food. You guys should come!" Woohyun chirped.

               Upon hearing news of Hoya, Myungsoo could feel himself burning in anger. It's been years that he felt burning jealousy and anger towards Hoya. His first encounter with that experience was 6 years ago around the time after he proposed to Sungyeol.

               "All this time...I have been in love with you Yeol! I...I can't just let it be...without saying anything." The man in purple said to his fiancée while Myungsoo was listening in on the other side of the campus' walls.

               "Hoya...I only see you as a best friend...Plus I love Myung--....!" Sungyeol said but was cut off when Hoya lean in to kiss him. Sungyeol pushed him off roughly causing the other man to lose balance.

               "HOYA! We are strictly friends! You're one of my best friends! Please if you want to keep in contact don't ever do that again." Sungyeol told him sternly. The other man nodded sadly.

               "As long...as you still allow me to be in your life, ...even as...friends...I'll have to accept it." Hoya said slowly.

               "Thank you...Hoya." Sungyeol said pulling him up.

               From the other side Myungsoo was brooding in anger, he knew it wasn't Sungyeol's fault, and he desperately wanted to charge in and beat the lights out of Hoya, but he knew Sungyeol hated violence.

               Even on the Wedding day Sungyeol never mentioned about the incident, and he never told Myungsoo what happened between him and Hoya. Myungsoo tried to let it go and buried what he saw from within but it didn't help. After they married Hoya was still very much in Sungyeol's life. Even though Myungsoo trusted Sungyeol, he wasn't sure about Hoya, and most of all he wasn't sure if things would change. There was a constant fear that one day Sungyeol will stop loving him, and his love for Hoya will grow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               "Myungsoo I told you! We are JUST friends" Sungyeol protested at his angry husband.

               "FRIENDS!? Don't forget we also started as FRIENDS! He sure doesn't see you as one! What friend accompany the other to a pregnancy clinic ACTING like a husband! I TOLD YOU TO WAIT FOR ME WHEN I GET HOME!"

               "WHEN ARE YOU EVER HOME!? I waited Myung...but...I was hurting! He...he came because I need to go to the hospital!" Sungyeol felt hot tears roaming down his cheeks.

               "He's ONLY ENTHUSIASTIC BECAUSE YOU still give him HOPE!"

               "W..what are you talking about!?"

               "Don't act like you don't know! I saw it! That day, a few weeks before our wedding. That guy confessed to you! He even kissed you!"

               "..That..."

               "You NEVER told me about it! Not even once!"

               "Because I know how you'll get! YOu'll beat the day lights out of him!"

               "I knew and I didn't, didn't I?" Myungsoo yelled in frustration and disappointment.

               "Myung...that was long ago...and I swear I made it clear that I ONLY love you!...Please....let's just stop arguing...I'm really tired."Sungyeol said holding on to his stomach. He was 4 months pregnant with Myungsol at the time.

               When he left for the bedroom there was a loud punch on the wall could be heard coming from the living room. Sungyeol sat on the floor breaking down.

               The memories of their fight flooded back in Myungsoo's mind closing off all sounds from the outside.

               "So what do you say?!" Woohyun pipped in at the two.

               Myungsoo ignored him with a cold stare and went over towards Myungsol who was now at the playground.

               "What's up with him?" Woohyun said, "Rude as usual."

               "....hyung...you talk too much..." Sungyeol sighed at the older man.