Chapter 17

Like Strangers

 

 

 

______ snuck into Jaehyo’s room and saw him still asleep in bed.

“Aigoo, this guy…He’s the one that said we’re spending the week together and he’s asleep?” she giggled. “Aww…Jaehyo Oppa is so cute in his sleep. It’s always difficult to wake him…so…here it goes One…Two…Three…YAH, OPPA!!~”

“KYAAAAA!~~” Jaehyo shrieked in a high girlish pitch, practically flying into the air. “Omo!”

“JAEHYO UNNIE!!!!~ WAKEY WAKEY!~” she shouted and shook him, unable to stop laughing at his reaction.

“Unnie?!! Yah, Woman, are you trying to give me a heart attack?!” he scolded while clutching his chest.

He took deep breaths to steady his heart rate.

“Ah, so you admit that I’m a woman?” she teased.

“well, I don’t have my glasses on or contacts in, but you sure look like a woman to me. The s are clearly visible to me.” He said, grabbing his glasses to put them on. He took a closer look. “Yep, I see them NOW!~”

“YAH, ERT, QUIT STARING AT MY S!!!” she screamed covering her chest with her arms. Her cheeks flushed, ‘Oh, God, I’m probably SO red right now.’

“I can’t help it, they are so…”

She glared at him, grabbed his blanket and yanked it off of his body.

“Oh my…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!~” ______ pointed at his boxers and fell to the ground laughing so hard. “Oh My GOD, are those Halo boxers? You are a complete video game nerd, down to the underwear! Oh my god. Oh my god!!~ I can’t breathe! HAHAHAHAH!~”

“Yah! YAH! Stop laughing!” Jaehyo whined quickly pulling on some pants.

He looked away to hide the embarrassment on his face, and his gaze stopped on the clock.

“Revenge is…hilarious!~” she giggled.

“Yah! It’s 10 AM…on a weekend.” He whined. “I want to sleep.”

“Fine, you want to sleep. I’ll go back home and let you sleep for a week.”

“Really?! I can?” he said cheerfully.

“Mhm…I’ll just be bored while Jinyoungie is away. Hmm…maybe I’ll go to Jeju to visit him.”

“what about  ______ and Jaehyo time?!”

“You said you’d rather sleep than spend time with your best friend…” she sighed. “What a boring person, Mr. Halo fan boy. You probably have a World of Warcraft one, and Starcraft one somewhere too hmm?”

“Power rangers.”

“Power Rangers?! Hahaha, do you remember that time you got ‘pants’-ed in middle school, with your Power Ranger undies?” she snickered.

“Aish…” he sighed. “YES, I remember!”

“I was so pissed off. If anyone messes with my Jaehyo Oppa, I freak out.”

 

-------Flashback-------------

 

Jaehyo was sitting next to ______ in class.

"Oppa...pay attention! Do you want to get that taken away again."

"I can't stop now. I just beat my high score." he said, not looking up from the game.

"Ahn Jaehyo!!" the teacher shouted.

He was on a roll and almost beat the level so he was too distracted and didn’t hear her.

“Oppa…”

“Hold on…”

“OPPA!”

“What?” he said.

“Ahn Jaehyo, could you come to the front of the class and solve this equation that I have written in the board?” the teacher asked.

“Y-Yes Ma’am.” He stuttered and walked to the front of the class to solve the equation.

The class started to laugh and shout insults.

“What a nerd!”

“DORK!!”

“GEEK!”

“FOUR-EYES.”

Jaehyo sighed and finished in less than a minute.

“YAH, Shut up!” ______ said. “Leave him alone. Only I’m allowed to make fun of Jaehyo Oppa, because he knows I love him and I’m not saying it to hurt him.”

“You love him?” a boy asked.  “I asked you out and you rejected me, but you’re dating the nerd?!”

“No, he’s my best friend, but I definitely would rather date him than you.”

“What does he have that I don’t?”

“Well, for one, He’s not a jerk that has to put down other people to build up his own pathetic self esteem.” ______ growled. “Two, I like smarter guys, so Jaehyo Oppa is pretty much my ideal man.”

Jaehyo stared down at his feet to hide the tinge of pink, creeping onto his cheeks.

‘I’m her ideal man? She’s probably just kidding right? She probably thinks of me as a brother…’ he thought.

After class the boy waited outside the classroom dorm.

“Yah, Ahn Jaehyo.”

“Y-Yeah?”

“You honestly think that Seo ______ would be interested in you? She was probably just being nice and didn’t really mean those things.”

“______ w-wouldn’t say something if she doesn’t mean it.” Jaehyo stuttered.

“So you’re saying that you think you’re better than me?!”

“N-No! I d-didn’t.”

“You stuttering freak, you think she finds that attractive.”

“I…I…”

“Well did you think that you’re attractive?!” ______ asked, when she saw what was going on. “You’re really not. I’m not some shallow girl. Are you serious right now?! To me, you are getting uglier, each time you open that big mouth of yours.”

The boy’s friends came up behind Jaehyo and suddenly pulled down his pants, revealing his Power Ranger underwear.

Jaehyo was frozen from the embarrassment.

Since it was passing time, between classes, everyone was in the halls at the moment.

They all started to point and laugh.

“Power Rangers?! Seriously? What are you five?”

“Are you five? That was the most childish thing I had ever seen.” ______ snapped. “Ironically, you probably have pink rubber duckies on yours.”

Jaehyo frantically covered himself with two books and ran to hide in the bathroom.

______ glared at the guy and slapped him.

“You are a jerk and your chance to get a date with m, just went down into the negative percentile.”

______ waited outside the boys’ bathroom until everyone left.

“Jae Oppa, you can come out now. The jerks went to the Principal’s office and everyone else went to class.” She said.

Jaehyo sighed and stepped out.

“Remind me to buy a jumpsuit to avoid future pants related mishaps, be it wedgies, or ‘pants’-ing. In assorted colors.”

She giggled.

“Oh Oppa…you don’t want anyone to see your Power Ranger undies again?”

“Aish, you saw too?!?!?” he mumbled. “You’re not laughing?”

“Why would I? You’re my best friend, Oppa.”

That made him smile.

 

 

-------End of Flashback-------------------------------------

 

“Well at least they weren’t pink. If they were I would’ve been on the floor laughing my off.” ______ giggled.

“Yah, Seo ______!~”

“Hurry up and get ready so we can hang out!!~” she whined. “Ppalli!!!~”

“Aigoo!~ Okay, hold on!” he said running to get dressed. “Aish! My eyes won’t let me put the contacts in!~”

“Just use your glasses.”

“No way! I look like a nerd!”

“You look great!!!~”

“I look THAT great?” he asked with a cocky smirk. “You practically screamed it.”

“Aigoo, PPALLIWA!!!~”

Later, ______ and Jaehyo were walking around the mall together.

“Oooh suspenders…. I can go back to being Asian Steve Urkel for a day.”

“Oh dear god, please don’t.” she giggled. “I swear, I will take off running in the opposite direction.”

“Aigoo! You know you love me!”

“Yeah…I love you.” She said and froze. ‘Did I just say that? Maybe he’ll think I meant it as friends. Why can I say it so easily to him, and I still haven’t said it to Jinyoung yet.’

“See? I told you that you love me!~ So have you told Jinyoung that you love him yet?” Jaehyo asked curiously.

______ whipped her head to look at him.

‘What the hell, as Jae Oppa reading my mind just now?! Creeeeeeeeepy!~~’ she thought. “No…”

“No?! I thought he told you already.”

“Yeah…” she said avoiding his eyes.

“You don’t love him too?” Jaehyo said trying to hide his grin, but he was suddenly feeling giddy and smiley. ‘YES!!!~’

“I don’t know…” she said looking up at him. “YAH! Why are you smiling? It’s not funny?”

“Oh, was I smiling?” he said trying to look serious. “No!!~ I’m just naturally smiley…”

“Oh yeah, it’s part of your derpiness. I forgot.” She giggled.

“Yah!~” he whined. ‘She hasn’t told Jinyoung that she loves him yet. She doesn’t know if she does or not? What does that mean?’

“I can’t say it to him unless I know that’s what I feel. I need to be fair to him.”

“So are you breaking up with him?”

“Of course not!!~” she shouted. “Why would I break up with him? I like him too much.”

“What if someone else liked you…would you consider that guy?” he asked.

“Why? What guys do you know?” she asked. “It’s not the greasy Cucumber right?”

“No way! I’d never let him be alone with you. Woo Jiho too. It’s no one in particular. I’m just…curious.” He said softly.

“Does it matter? I’m with Jinyoung now.”

“But is there another guy? Is that why you’re hesitant to tell Jung Jinyoung that you love him?”

______ just stared at him.

‘If only you knew, how much I love you.’ She thought. “N-Not really, but even if there was…nothing would happen. He never felt the same way and he’d rather be with Naeun.”

‘Rather be with Naeun? Who’d choose Son Naeun over her?...Wait…Baek Soohyun is dating Naeun’ he thought.“WHAT THE HELL?! YOU LIKED BAEK SOOHYUN?!?!”

______ stared at him like he was mutating.

“WHAT?! Where the hell did you get that?!” she snapped back. “Seriously, Oppa?!?”

“You said he’d rather be with Naeun. She’s dating Soohyun right now.”

“Oh…well…that’s great for her.” ______ scoffed.

“Is it him? Is it that jerk?”

“Please!!~” she laughed. “Yeah right!~ You could get me Shin Soohyun, from U-KISS, or Kim Soohyun, from Dream High, and I’d be happy. As for Baek Soohyun…I’d feel like throwing up.”

“Then who?! Why didn’t you tell me that you had a crush on someone? Don’t best friends tell each other those things?”

“It’s…complicated…this person was my ideal man and…Soohyun is not even close to that…” she stopped herself and looked away. ‘Why did I say that?! He knows that I said he’s my ideal man! He’ll figure it out now!’

“I thought I was your ideal man…” Jaehyo said softly.

“Umm…”

 “Yah, you have more than one ideal man?!”

‘For a genius…he sure is slow. I’m saved, he didn’t figure it out!’ ______ thought, breathing a sigh of relief. “Um…YEP! I do, I have more than one ideal man. It doesn’t matter anymore, I’m happy with Jinyoung. Ooooh, look shoes!!!~”

She ran over to the store to change the subject.

“Shoes? There she goes…changing the subject.” he said following her. ‘But, if she’s truly happy, why can’t she tell him that she loves him? She tells me all the time.’

 

 

____________________________________________________

Aigoo, Jaehyo. AIGOOO!~~~~~~