Chapter 22: Three’s company.

The Next Love.

This is Seunghyun’s past five years ago.

Chapter 22: Three’s company.  

“The dinner is ready” Mrs. Choi said outside Seunghyun’s room, but she didn’t get a reply, so she went alone to the dining room where her husband and her daughter were already sitting at the table full of delightful dishes “I think he’s studying for the admission exams. He’s working so hard, studying so hard” she said proudly.

“Yeah… right” Hyeyoon mocked “He’s watching adult videos for sure”

“Don’t say nonsense” Mr. Choi said as his daughter made a face and took dinner.

 

Seunghyun was locked in his room, he wasn’t watching adult videos, but he wasn’t studying either. He was writing stories; the most were tales and poems. He dreamed about being the most famous writer ever, more than J.K. Rowling. He was dreaming of course and the sky was the limit, however, he couldn’t’ share his dream with anybody, not even his best buddy Daesung, he was afraid of being laughed at and certainly, his parents would have heart attack at knowing their son’s dream instead of something productive like doctor or attorney.

“Mmm, how about a story about a sky without moon and a girl is sacrificed by the sorceress of the town, but one of the soldiers that protects the girl falls in love with her and save her and the sorceress sends the soldiers to hunt them and separate him from the girl that’s killed in the end?” Seunghyun wondered himself and smiled and started writing the epic tale.

He wrote for hours and fell asleep on the computer’s keyboard.

 

Next morning, Mrs. Choi knocked on his son’s door again.

“Seunghyun, wake up! It’s exam day! You can’t be late!” she searched for the key in the living room and opened the door and found the black haired man sleeping on the desk “Stu…” she stopped as she found a notebook with plots and poems “Wasting time again, aigo, you” she pinched his cheek toughly and made him wake up in surprise.

“Mom!”

“I expect you’ve studied!” she said and beat him with the notebook.

“Yeah… of course…” he lied and took a bath and changed to clean clothes and went to the university.

He was going to take exam for business administration; their parents dreamed for him a successful career in business around the world, being a big CEO. He didn’t want to disappoint them, so he studied as good as he could, the most he spent writing though.

 

One month later, Seunghyun went to the university for the exam results, he needed at least 80% to enter and when he got the results, he lost his breath, he just got 78%.

“It’s a joke! I won’t go to college because of 2%?!” Seunghyun yelled at the old lady that attended the reception.

“You can try again into six months” she said to cheer him up.

“Yeah… My parents are going to kill me”

Seunghyun hid the results in the bag and didn’t feel like going home; his mother was preparing a special dinner to celebrate his son entering to one of the best universities in Seoul.

Seunghyun felt like a failure, he bought ice cream and sat down on a bench in the park and prayed for the day never ending, because he didn’t want to go home. After eating ice cream, he took out his notebook from the bag and started writing random things, but he wasn’t in mood to write, he tore the papers and made balls and threw them to the people that walked in the streets.

One of the balls hit a girl’s head; she grabbed the ball and looked around searching for the one who threw that to her, then she saw Seunghyun with the notebook and approached to him.

Seunghyun wanted to hide, the last thing on earth he wanted it was to argue with strangers in the street, but when she reached him, she wasn’t angry, she was curious and looked at him with a smile on her face.

“Ah, is this yours?” she showed the paper ball to him.

“I threw it! Are you stupid?” Seunghyun replied scaring her.

“Ah…I guess I’m stupid…” she smiled and ran her hand through her brown hair.

Seunghyun stared at her, she dressed inappropriately, she wore a short black dress and the weather was cold and close to rain at any time. She carried suitcases with her, maybe she was lost, he thought, but it wasn’t his problem, he already had a big problem by himself, so he gave her a glare and walked away.

“Wait!” she cried out desperately “I need to find an address…” she watched the paper ball still in her hand, curios, she smoothed the paper and read the poem written on “That’s beautiful” she said and kept the poem in her pocket and continued looking for the address.

 

Seunghyun arrived to the house and his mother was so happy he felt like crying.

“Seunghyun, how was the results? I’m sure you got to enter” she said thrilled.

“I…” Seunghyun began crying as his mother got scared.

“What happened? Tell me” she said.

Because of the noise, Mr. Choi and Hyeyoon showed up and they could see Seunghyun was crying in the door.

“I didn’t… get to be accepted” he took the results from the bag and offered to his mother.

“Ah… It’s just 2%... You can try better later…” her eyes were covered with tears.

“What?” Mr. Choi snatched the paper and his face became red out of anger “Did you study a thing?!”

“Yes”

Hyeyoon felt sorry for his little brother, but she didn’t say anything, because her father was really mad at that point.

“You’re a disgrace! Always writing nonsense things on your notebook”

“I want to be a writer”

“Fine, be a writer, not under my roof, go away right now”

“What?” Seunghyun replied startled.

“You want to be a writer, so get out of here and be a writer, let’s see how you can buy food and place to live without money. Your , you’re 21 years old, I won’t stand your laziness anymore”

“Honey, what are you saying?!” Mrs. Choi exclaimed in shock.

“Hyeyoon, help your good for nothing brother to pack his bags”

She looked at Seunghyun in worry and they went to the room.

“That man is crazy” Seunghyun said between mad and frustrated.

“It’s your fault, couldn’t you study more?” she replied “I’m going to miss you” she helped him to put the clothes into the suitcases “Father loves you, but you’re so stubborn, it’s ok if you want to be writer, but you don’t have any idea about that, right?”

“You’re annoying” he grabbed the suitcases ready to leave home.

“Wait” Hyeyoon went to her room and came back with money “It’s not so much, but it’ll help you for one or two months”

“You don’t have to…”

“Just go” she said and gave a beat on his head.

Seunghyun left home and didn’t look back. Once he was in the streets, he lost his cool and called Daesung. The younger answered quickly.

“Hi, Daesung, guess what, my dad, finally, kicked me out”    

“Oh, hyung, what are you going to do?!” Daesung replied in worry.

“Live with you?”

“What? I live with my parents, if this house was mine I’d take you in, but I have to ask my parents first”

“I get it”

“I think Hyunseung can take you, I mean, he lives alone in a big apartment”

“Of course” Seunghyun smiled after remembering his second best friend, Hyunseung, he was younger and studied systems engineering, their parents were so proud that gifted him an apartment.

Seunghyun hung up and took a cab to Gangnam district and went to Hyunseung apartment in a very fancy building.

To his surprise the one who opened the door wasn’t Hyunseung, but a beautiful and pretty girl, the same girl he met before in the park.

“It’s you!” she said with same surprise.

“Hyuna, what’s going on?” Hyunseung left the kitchen where he was preparing dinner and went to the entrance “Seunghyun hyung?”

“Do you know him?” Hyuna asked.

“Do you know her?” Seunghyun asked.

“Eh… Do you know each other?” Hyunseung replied in confusion “Come on, Seunghyun, I told you about her, Hyuna, my girlfriend from my town, she arrived to Seoul today for a visit”

“Yes… I remember…” Seunghyun replied uncomfortably.

“And, Hyuna” Hyunseung said “Seunghyun is one of my best friend from school in Seoul”

“Nice to meet you again” she said enthusiastically “Now I know your name”

“Where you know Seunghyun from?” his boyfriend asked curious.

“Remember I told you about a bully that threw things in the streets and didn’t want to help me with the address to you? Seunghyun oppa is the bully”

“I’m not bully!” Seunghyun replied embarrassed.

“I’m joking” Hyuna said “You looked troubled, I understand”

“Oh yeah, today’s the day you get the results, what happened?” Hyunseung asked.

Seunghyun was ashamed of talking about his admission exams with Hyuna standing there.

“Never mind” Seunghyun said and walked away.

Hyuna realized he carried suitcases and shook her boyfriend’s arm to go for Seunghyun.

Hyunseung found his hyung in the corridor.

“Are you ok, hyung?”

“I didn’t get enough points to enter” Seunghyun said “My father kicked me out”

“I saw that coming”

“You what?”

“Ha, ha, I’m kidding, you can stay with me and Hyuna”

“But…”

“Eh… She can stay in my room… you can stay in the guest room…” Hyunseung blushed.

“Fine” Seunghyun said and that’s how he started living with Hyunseung and Hyuna.