The Ride Back Home [Donghae, Super Junior]

For The Love of Writing. One Shot Collection

Warning : implied character death? Ambiguous ending tbh


For once he had come home early even if he was on duty. She always took the bus back from her college, a daily process that they had incorporated into the schedules. But this time, Donghae had come home earlier. He placed the bag of the take away dinner he had picked up from the close by noodle place. She usually came home earlier, but she had messaged him that they had been stranded in the rain so the bus left her college much later. He didn’t think too much about it as he settled down on the sofa, ing the top button of his uniform and exhaling heavily.

He wondered if he should make himself a cup of coffee or simply wait for Minah to return so they could curl up on the couch together and eat in peaceful silence. He know she would be wet, annoyed and would just want to be with him in silence and honestly, he wanted the same. Donghae had had his own long day at work as a police officer.

But she was late.

She never was though. It was almost like against everything she believed in. She was never late for their dates, or his performances, she was always there. This was so odd for him to have her coming back late. But the weather was awful so he couldn’t particularly blame her.

Why was Chung-Ang University so far away though?

He stretched his legs out and sunk further into the couch eyes bleary with exhaustion as he looked at the ceiling hearing the thunder rumbling outside the windows. It sounded quite bad, he chuckled remembering the first time the two had faced a storm together. He had expected her to jump every time there was thunder and lightning, except she gazed out of the window watching the steady rain as she turned to him with a smile, her curly hair frizzing in the weather, her body clothed in a large sweater and her fingers tight around a mug of hot chocolates.

“Why? Did you think I’d be scared?”

He remembered how he found her amused smile and quirked eyebrow very attractive. How they had spent a good hour by the window with her in his arms as they looked at the rain fall on the earth outside as they stayed in the warm. The bright lights of the city glared back at them even though they looked fuzzy through the raindrops. 

Donghae looked at his watch, 9:30. It was late, even for a delayed bus from her college. He pulled out his phone to see a few texts from Minah lighting up his screen just like it made his face light up.

Well, we’re stranded right near the campus.

I’m wet and cold and grumpy.

Donghae chuckled, anything that broke her routine made her uncomfortable and grumpy. Not that she minded spontaneity, but she appreciated her routine bus rides back home and the cosy spot on the sofa that she could curl up in and just be sipping on her mug of strong coffee as she waited for Donghae to return. When he did she would lean against him, warm and comforting as they sat in content silence. There was a bliss they found in each other’s company, no words were needed.He sent her a reply.

Come back soon then.  

The bus driver seems to agree with you, he’s speeding up the hill, I have a feeling he has a death wish!

Donghae frowned, maybe she was overthinking it.

I brought back dinner, so once you get back home we’ll eat and get you warmed up!

I love you Lee Donghae, but my battery is dying, I’ll come back home and shower you with aggressive love. Goodbye, my love~

She never failed to amuse him with her sudden spurts of drama that broke the monotony of her usually calm behaviour. She could be childish whenever she felt like it and then mother him on most other occasions. Her love was calm, yet it wasn’t, she’d creep up on him on days and shower him with kisses which took his breath away and then go back to pretending she never did it. He loved holding her close as she’d gently kiss him. Maybe nip at his lower lip until they’d tumble between the sheets. She’d and comfort him, she’d love him endlessly.

Why wasn’t she back yet?

He waited, still lying in the same position for what felt like hours. Maybe it had been an hour or maybe even two, he wasn’t entirely sure. He jumped when the door flew open and he stood up wobbling from the sudden moment ready to greet her.

“Donghae.” Siwon panted as Changmin followed him in leaving Donghae rather baffled. Changmin picked up Donghae’s coat from the rack and tossed it at him as its bewildered owner caught hold of it.

“What’s going on?”

“We’re back on duty, emergency support.” Siwon shrugged his coat closer to himself as Donghae slid his on now following Siwon and Changmin out the door and locking it. He’ll have to explain to Minah when he got back. Changmin sniffled in the cold as he turned to Donghae with a serious expression and said something that made his blood freeze over.

“A bus returning from Chung-Ang University has hydroplaned while going uphill, we’re going in as first response. Pretty sure there were several casualties.”

Donghae froze, staring into the distance as the last message flashed back at him as Siwon and Changmin tried to urge him to move. His feet refused to move as he felt himself crumble only vaguely feeling his friends attempt to hold him up as he croaked out her name into the silent air.

“Minah.” He called to no one in particular as Siwon and Changmin got frantic, trying to lift Donghae to his feet but his vision had gone bleary and all he could see was her, her frizzy curly hair, that large sweater, her endless love in her eyes, with that amused smile on her face and her eyebrow quirked. And all she said was

Goodbye, my love.