Surprise [Super Junior's Donghae]

For The Love of Writing. One Shot Collection

For the birthday boy Lee Donghae.

I tried writing it differently.


“Nothing?”

“Absolutely nothing.” He sighs, leaning back into the white sofa as Hyukjae purses his lips.

“You sure?”

“I checked a million times.” He bites down on his lip as Hyukjae sighs and stands up before ruffling his hair.

“Why don’t you go over? You know the dorm is going to be empty because we all have schedules.”

“Have I gotten boring?” he turns to his best friend as Hyukjae balks under the large shiny eyes that bore into his soul.

“No, no you haven’t.”

“It’s been four years you know?” He looks down at the floor as Hyukjae places his hand on Donghae’s shoulder.

“I know Hae, just go over or call her. Stop panicking about it, she’s a good kid.”

“It’s my birthday.” Donghae deadpans.

“It’s going to be your birthday in an hour, don’t kick up a fuss now.”

“But she hasn’t contacted me in the last two days!”

“If I remember correctly, the both of you were very busy. You particularly.”

“But…”

A poke on the forehead as Hyukjae turns to leave

“Just go, I’ll see you later.”

 

***

“Hey.” she sighs, as she picks her mobile phone up on the third ring.

“You busy?”

“Yeah,” He hears her stumble and her disoriented voice filter through the receiver “lot of work to do.”

“So…”

“Come over.”

“Don’t you have work to do?”

“Are you coming or not? “Or would you rather stay cooped up in your dorm?” she chuckles as she hears him groan as he picks himself up from the couch.

“Come soon~”

***

He’s an hour late, he’s mulled over every possibility, changed his clothes five times and finally when he knocks on the familiar door, all he can hear is shuffling. The door opens.

“SURPRISE!”

“Holy!” he falls back.

“Happy birthday!” a chorus of voices, many smiles.

“Planned this out for quite a while.” She whispers as he walks into the crowded apartment, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into a hug.

“I can’t believe you!” he laughs as the party begins with everyone wishing him and bringing the cake forward.

Cheers, cake face and many laughs later they clear out.

“I’m going to clean up.” She laughs as he grins at her.

“That can wait.” And she’s in the air and tossed over his shoulder.

“Lee Donghae! I’m not a potato sack!”

“Mmhmm.”

“Put me down!”

“Nope.”

“Please?!” she whines, laughing at the same time as he tosses her on the bed. She’s still laughing as he proceeds to tickle her silly until she’s breathless. She attempts to take revenge tumbling over as she tickles him and they’re both just lying in the darkness, the remnants of their laughter still filling the air as they gasp for air.

“Stupid.”

“Am not.”

She curls closer to him, nuzzling his neck as he lets out another laugh, wrapping his arms around her.

“Happy birthday,” She whispers as he presses his lips against her forehead “sorry about all the miscommunication.”

“Don’t ever do that to me.”

“I’m sorry~”

“You’d better make it up to me.” He pouts and demands as she nods.

“As soon as I can.”

“Starting now.” He pulls her closer, grinning as their lips meet and she smiles before pulling away.

“Alright, starting now birthday boy.”

Their lips make acquaintance again and definitely not for the last time that night.