Reading in a Club [EXO, Kai / Kim Jongin]

For The Love of Writing. One Shot Collection

I got spammed.

Spamming led to plot formation.

This word vomit was thus created.

Characters: Jongin and OCs with minor EXO appearances. 


The ground shook with the thumping base as he squinted at the book in his hands. His eyes travelled over the dance floor as the members of his band danced around with drinks in their hands, downing some more as they intoxicated themselves in alcohol and sweat and all the things he deemed quite unworthy of his time. Damn, this place didn’t even serve fried chicken let alone offer him with a peaceful enough corner to just doze off. He pondered over why he was even at this fancy club when he’d rather be curled up in bed with a novel in his hands.

At least he had one of the two he acknowledged as his eyes swept over the novel in his hands. Sighing he cursed the idiot who came up with the idea of going clubbing.

Curse you Baekhyun.

Sighing again he squinted back into the book which he had brought along against the wishes of his bandmates. He had refused to get up from the seat once he had settled down on the moment arrived and had accepted only water to drink considering he’d probably be the only sober one by the end of it. The dratted lighting wasn’t letting him actually read the novel properly, who the hell came up with the idea of a dark club?

“Fancy seeing you here.” Her amused voice reached his ear as his eyes shot up. She wore an amused smile on her face as her hands rested on her hips. Thick glasses perched on her nose magnified her almond shaped eyes that reflected her pure amusement at seeing him holed up in the corner of a club with a novel in his hands.

“Hey Minah,” he began, rubbing the back of his head slightly embarrassed “yeah, got dragged here and uhm…” he tried to explain, resorting to gestures and waving his book around.

“So we share the same fate,” she grinned nodding her head towards a group of girls who were making their way onto the dance floor before turning back to him “so, didn’t think you were into classics.” She said, nodding towards the copy of Pride and Prejudice he had been trying to read.

“Sister suggested it to me.” He said, looking down at the novel before meeting her eyes again as she smiled.

“It’s one of my favourites!” she grinned, plopping down beside him.

“Let me guess, you like Darcy?” he chuckled she turned around with a very serious face.

"Mr. Darcy is almost every girl's dream alright?  Don't judge me!"

"I'm not." He laughed, bemused by her defensive pout.

"Are you liking the book though?" she leaned back into the sofa and stretched as his eyes trailed over the fitted black top she wore and the blue denim that hugged her legs. She turned back to him and blinked as Jongin shifted his eyes away in an attempt not to be caught. The music in the background thumped away as Jongin fumbled for words.

"Well it's definitely different from what I usually read. It's been quite interesting though." He said, looking back down into the book and freezing as he felt his friend's head on his shoulder. Her long mop of hair tumbled down her shoulders and her sweet scent teased his nostrils as he took a quick breath, tensing.

"Which part are you reading?" She peered into the book, pressing closer to him. He felt the warmth of her body permeate through the fabric between them.

"Well, I'm coming closer to the end really. Darcy and Bingley are visiting the Bennets."

"Oh, read read!" She nudged him but made no move to shift off his shoulder as he attempted to refocus his attention to the novel in hand. The two read the last chapter together,  completely ignorant of the music and lights around them. Wrapped up in their own little world our two readers curled up in the little dingy corner of the club, and for the first time in the night, neither were complaining.

Jongin heard a little squeal when Mr. Darcy asked Elizabeth to marry him for the second time (because Mr. Darcy was quite an idiot the first time around). He turned around only to find himself inches away from Minah's face. Her eyes were glistening behind her large spectacles and her lips were parted in surprise. Their breaths mingled as they drowned in each other's eyes until she broke out of the trance and shifted away in surprise.

Jongin blinked.

"So, you're done," She ended the silence, looking down as a blush crept up her cheeks "did you like it?"

"Yeah, only sometimes I feel that Darcy is an idiot." Jongin commented, still looking at the blushing face in an attempt to fight one creeping up his cheeks.

"That he is, especially when he's so surprised that Lizzy says no to him. It's quite ridiculous to be expected to accept when you've been nothing but a douche to her." Minah pursed her lips.

"And yet Darcy is a fantasy." Jongin smirked, amused as Minah frowned at him.

"Oh hush you." she blushed, waving her hand as Jongin fought the urge to catch hold of it. The conversation flowed as the two discussed various aspects of it and slowly delved into their other interests such as their dogs and their silly antics, catching up on each other's lives since they had last met.

All to be very rudely interrupted.

"Jonginnnieee you asss get here and daance!" Chanyeol's deep voice slurred as Jongin spun around to see his bandmate towering over him with a huge grin plastered on his face.

"I'd rather not." Jongin replied. He'd had enough dancing in the studio and all he wanted was some peace and quiet.

"Come on!" Jongdae's voice piped in "you're THE dansheen masheen!" He giggled at the thought as Jongin fought the urge to facepalm. He heard a chuckle beside him and noticed Minah covering and laughing.

"Dansheen masheen," She echoed as Jongin raised his eyebrow. She nudged him ahead "go on, I want to watch you dance. It's been ages!"

"Yeah!  Listen to her, who is her?" Chanyeol piped in, looking over at Minah as Jongin sighed.

"Give me one good reason why I should get up from my comfortable seat and dance?"

"Because I asked you to?" She said.

"Need a better reason than that." He crossed his arms, uncrossing them to swat away Jongdae's hand tugging at him.

"You look very attractive dancing and you could land a girl that way?" Minah suggested as Jongin's eyes widened. Was she referring to herself? Because if she was, he'd dance till his feet hurt. He found himself getting up from his seat as Minah laughed and the other two hooted and cheered drunkenly before stumbling off onto the dance floor

"I knew this would work. Mention the ladies and you go nuts."

"Come on, you're coming with me." He wiggled his fingers.

"Nope."

"Come on."

"Give me one good reason why I should get up from my comfortable seat and dance?" She stuck her tongue out as she repeated his words.

"Because I said so."

"Need a better reason than that." She smirked, leaning back into the couch as Jongin frowned.

"Stop being a pain!"

"I don't dance, you go." She said, smiling as Jongin felt himself being dragged away by someone he assumed was his bandmate.

And somehow he danced, he danced because he knew she was watching him. He drowned in the beats as his body moved on its own as he only thought of her eyes on him. Carried away by everything he danced three dances straight with his band and the rest of the dancers cheering him on and by the end of it, all he wanted to do was go back to his couch and ask her if she had found him as attractive as she had said.

Stumbling over the dancing bodies and taking a sip of liquid courage from Sehun's glass. He walked over to the couch to see the most surprising sight of his life.

Her head was on the table, hair spread out and breaths even as she slept peacefully through all the music and ruckus. Jongin gaped at the sleeping figure, wondering what on earth he was to do now that he was all riled up to talk to her and ask her the questions he had really been dying to ask.

Curse you Chanyeol and Jongdae!

The book lay beside her, her hand covering it as he eased it out. He heard Joonmyun call his name as he spun around to see that his bandmates were leaving. Groaning he took another look at the sleeping girl, wondering if he should wake her up.

But she looked too adorable to.

"I'll handle her, it's alright." A stern looking girl turned up beside him and dropped herself next to Minah.

"Uh, alright." He said, taking one last look at her before scurrying after his band.

It was later that night he received a text from his old neighbour and new crush.

"Truthfully, you look more attractive reading than dancing."

And a smile spread over his lips.

"Meet me in the national library on Saturday?"

"It's a date :P"