Chapter 34

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

We made an unspoken decision to hang out in the apartment for the next week. I personally figured that I had had enough excitement to last me a lifetime and would actually rather be bored than receive that kind of attention again. Taeyeon didn't say much else about the whole Seungri situation, but I knew it was on his mind and I dreaded what he would do when he saw him again.

Lounging around on all of his expensive furniture and eating junk food gave us both some much needed recovery time. Thankfully my face didn't swell too much and the bruises that had begun to form faded quickly. By the next weekend, my cheek was almost completely clear. Taeyeon on the other hand was still struggling. The blow he took to his ribs when Seungri hit him had done some damage. He went back to hobbling for a while and trying not to move as much as possible. But, by the end of the week he was obviously much better too.

He was still receiving countless phone calls a day, but to my surprise he actually ignored most of them. Or he handed me the phone and asked me to answer it for him, making me smile at the irony of still doing secretarial work even when I was away from my job.

While everything seemed to be going well with us, that week brought some new problems for me that I hadn't foreseen. I stood in the bathroom that Sunday morning gnawing on my lip and staring, terror-stricken, at my body in the mirror. My eyes were transfixed on the slight bulge that had become my stomach. It wasn't enough to make me need to hide it; in fact it was probably not as serious as I was imagining it to be. But as I stared at the thickening in my hips and lower stomach, I couldn't help but feel like a gigantic whale.

"Not yet," I murmured to my reflection, distressed. I should have anticipated that. I was almost fourteen weeks along after all. But still; that wasn't even four months... I hadn't expected to show so early. It seemed that fate was deciding to be cruel to me.

I turned to the side and breathed a sigh of relief upon discovering that it still wasn't even visible. At most it looked like I might have gained a pound or two which was completely understandable with the way I had been eating lately. If anything I would have only minor problems with getting my skinny jeans buttoned, but that was all.

Still seeing that shook me to the core. In the shower I had furrowed my brow with confusion at how foreign my own body felt to me when I ran my hands over it. I sighed, rushing to slide into my clothes. Everything was changing. I was even having trouble fitting into my bras lately and I could only hope and pray that Taeyeon was completely oblivious to it all.

The thought made my mood darken just a little. It seemed like he had been generally oblivious to my body anyway. We had been together for almost two whole weeks already and he hadn't tried anything. Then again, I didn't know what I was expecting. Of course he wouldn't try anything; we didn't have that kind of relationship. I shook my head at my own foolishness. He shouldn't try anything. The last time we... well... my eyes went back down to my stomach and I blinked and then shoved my sweater down over the creamy expanse of skin.

I was still so conflicted about it. I needed to tell him. It wasn't fair for me to walk around pregnant with his child and not tell him. But at the same time, I was so afraid that he would change his entire life around and miss out on all of the wonderful opportunities that were waiting for him in Hong Kong. That was why I lied about the abortion in the first place. But was it fair? Would it be okay for me to go back to Seoul and leave him here thinking that his first child was dead?

When I opened the door to the bathroom, Taeyeon was still sprawled out on the bed, thumbing through channels on the tv. He lay on his stomach with his feet at the head of the bed and his arms tucking a pillow under his chest. I stood in the doorway for a moment, admiring the way the muscles on his back rippled with his every movement. My eyes swept over the graceful curve of his spine. He was in a pair of grey sweatpants that hung low on his hips. He glanced over his shoulder at me and then grinned, rolling over to his side.

"Hey," he said, "That was a long shower."

I shrugged, feeling strangely out of place in my white cable knit sweater and dark blue jeans, "Always." The way he was lying made every muscle on his torso stand out proudly and my eyes fell to his pecs and then drifted down over his abs and to the perfect v-cut of his hips. A thin line of dark hair started right below the indentation of his navel and disappeared into the waistband of his sweatpants. For a second, I found myself wanting to crawl over the mattress, lay him flat on his back, and explore just where that line began and ended... with my mouth.

At the thought, I felt my stomach drop and my heartbeat stutter. Immediately I looked away, blinking rapidly and trying to figure out where in the hell that came from. "Um, I'm going to..." try as I might, my gaze returned to his flesh as though drawn like a magnet. When I met Taeyeon's eyes, one of his dark brows rose slowly and to my complete mortification, he flexed almost imperceptibly. At the delicious ripple of his muscles, my mouth went dry and I began backing towards the door. "I'm going to find something to cook."

Just before I ran out of the room, I had the misfortune of making eye contact with him again. His knowing look made me want to melt into the floor with embarrassment.

Fighting the blush on my cheeks, I pulled out ingredients for French toast and started to get to work. I had finally figured out why I had taken up cooking as my year off project. It was probably one of the best ways to get my mind off of the craziness that had become my life. , pregnancy, working... all of it was simply putting me in overdrive. And now all I could think about was just how long it had actually been...

Taeyeon's body heat against my back made me gasp with surprise and I nearly drop an egg onto the counter. He put his hands on my waist to steady me as my head dipped and I shut my eyes, ignoring the way my blood had been boiling earlier.

"You okay?" he asked and his voice was so close to my ear that I shuddered with awareness. Seeing exactly where this was probably going, I stepped out of his embrace and went over to the pantry to grab the rest of the ingredients that I needed.

"Yeah," I swallowed hard, making sure he couldn't see the heated blush that was still staining my face, "Yeah, I'm fine." As I stirred the rest of the mixture into a bowl, my thoughts whirled frantically. Where the hell was this coming from? I just woke up like any other day... granted it was in Taeyeon's bed against his wonderfully rock hard body—

My thoughts began to deviate into the not so nice girl place and I forced those things out of my head, mentally scolding myself.

"Are you sure?" Taeyeon slow words caressed my nerves and I jumped again, having forgotten that he was even in the room. Steadying myself, I cast a glance over at him. He stood leaned against the refrigerator, still shirtless, still perfect in all his adorably handsome glory. Forcing a bland smile on my face, I nodded.

"Yep," I begun to stir two times faster, desperate to finish and get out of the kitchen. I didn't know what was going on with me, but I clearly needed some distance before I did something that I would regret later. Finally the mix was done and I began dipping the bread, letting it sizzle on the warmed, lightly buttered pan.

He still hadn't left. I wondered what he was waiting for, but still tried my damnedest to get my mind off of him. When he was suddenly behind me again, I was so absorbed in what I was doing that when his hand pressed gently on my hip, I startled, nearly upsetting the entire bowl filled with eggs and milk. He stared down at me, a bemused expression on his face as he reached over my head to get the coffee in the cabinet right beside me.

"You seem a little jumpy," he said. Our faces were too close together. I swallowed, shrugging. I really didn't have anything to say. He gave me another piercing look before stepping away and going to the opposite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter