Chapter 29

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Before I knew it, four more days passed. Even though Dr. Song said that it was a very good sign that Taeyeon had reacted to the icepack, there hadn't been any other changes since then.

"It helps give us a better understanding of what area of the brain actually received the damage," she said by way of explanation. I questioned her relentlessly on what his movement meant; whether or not it indicated that he was coming out of the coma. Though she continued to reiterate that it was hopeful, she couldn't say flat out that he was actually waking up.

Now it was Sunday and his eyes were still sealed shut as far as I could tell. I had spent every single day in the hospital with him as long as I could. And every day was more painful than the last.

"Tae, I don't know how much longer I can stay," I murmured that afternoon, sitting in my usual chair beside his bed. "It's almost been a week. I have to get home. I have to go back to my life."

I was really starting to feel hopeless. There were things I had to get back to. My life couldn't come to a complete stop for this. And how was I supposed to know how much longer he would be in the coma? It could be weeks, or months, or even years before he woke up... if he did. But what kind of person would I be if I just left him here? His mother begged and pleaded with me to come to Hong Kong and stay with him... I knew that I couldn't just leave. Not now at least.

So instead of thinking about all of the things I had left behind at home, I focused on Taeyeon. And over those four days, I sat beside him, holding his hand... and I told him everything that I knew about our baby. I told him what the doctor said to expect, what the books told me to expect, and what I had already been experiencing.

It was crazy how much was stored in your mind when you had a chance to talk it out. I didn't think I had enough to go on for four days, but I found that I didn't have a single problem filling the silence with my hopes and fears about the child inside of me.

My parents called me at least three times a day and I chose to ignore it. The one time I did pick up the phone earlier in the week, I barely got a word in between the yelling. They couldn't believe I had left without saying anything; a note wasn't enough notice; how could I go to Hong Kong; what was I thinking; they were just so disappointed in me; I needed to get home as soon as possible...

I made sure to tell them I was safe, still on top of my classes (mostly) and that I would be home soon. And then, I hung up and I haven't answered since. I didn't need the extra stress. To be fair, I'm sure it didn't help that I gave no specific details at all and they had no idea who I was there for, but still. I knew they would rail me when I got back, whenever that would be, but for now I had Taeyeon's life to focus on.

In what spare time I had, I begun bringing in my laptop and getting some class work done. I had fallen behind and burying myself in my work was a good way for me to distract myself from the fears and doubts that were clouding my mind.

Taeyeon had a few visitors while I was there. His agent came by, distressed and talking to himself. And a few others that must have known him from work stopped in briefly. One was a blonde woman around my age. She barely glanced at me before throwing herself over Taeyeon's body, crying dramatically. I immediately guessed that this was the woman Taeyeon had been trying to avoid, and that she was probably an actress.

"Um, you shouldn't lay over him like that," I said timidly from my chair against the wall. My laptop sat on my knees, now forgotten. As though shocked that someone had been in the room to see her little display, the girl twisted her head around, staring at me openmouthed. Her tearstained cheeks were flushed delicately and she was absolutely beautiful even with her eyes already swollen and red.

"Excuse me?" she said breathily, her brow furrowing. I blinked, my eyes dropping to where she still lay heavily over his body. He of course wasn't moving, but that didn't surprise me. Still, I knew it had to be painful.

"He has bruised ribs." I explained slowly. "You're probably hurting him right now."

"Oh my god!" As though he was on fire, she jumped back. The tips of her fingers covered as she stared at his prone body. "How could this have happened? How could this even be possible?"

Remember that her reaction was almost identical to my own, I felt myself softening to her. I had no reason to be upset anyway. Sighing, I set my laptop in my bag and walked over to her slowly. Her eyes were still focused on Taeyeon and I could tell that she had no idea who I was and she didn't care.

"He was hit by a car and ended up with a head wound." I said quietly. "He's been in a coma for almost a week now."

She emitted a small sound of distress, "We just heard. We wondered where he had been. I can't believe it took so long for someone to tell us."

I bit my lip, getting uneasy by the way she stared transfixed at him. "We?" I asked.

"Everyone at the agency," she flipped her hand in a dismissive gesture. Then, as though realizing that I wasn't one of them, she turned and stared at me, her eyes narrowing slightly. "I'm sorry, who are you?"

Surprised by her quick turn of emotions, I looked away quickly, my gaze drifting to the gauze around his head, "I'm a friend from home."

She wasn't in anyway satisfied by my obscure response. And by the way I felt her eyes burning into the side of my head, I began to wonder if Taeyeon had ever mentioned me before. "A friend?" she responded skeptically. "Have you been here the whole time?"

"I got here the day he was admitted."

Her brows shot up, "How did you find out so fast?"

Now, we were getting into potentially dangerous territory. If this really was the girl that he told me about, then she wouldn't be happy to know that he and I had any sort of connection, especially not one so... intimate. From what I understood, she had wanted to get a little more intimate with him and he wasn't having any part of it.

"Um," I stuck my hands in my pockets, rocking back on my heels. "His mother sent me here to watch over his treatment."

"His mother?"

"Taeyeon and I went to school together," I tried to keep my tone bland, but she was actually starting to get on my nerves and I could see why Taeyeon hadn't been impressed by her even if she was beautiful. "His mother couldn't come and she sent me instead." There was no reason for all of these questions. She couldn't have k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter