Chapter 33

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon led me through the tight crowd with a guiding hand on the small on my back. I didn't bother trying to say excuse me; the music was too loud for any of them to hear me anyway. As it was, Taeyeon had been shouting to speak to me since we were ushered into the club. All around us bodies writhed and danced to the music. The big room was almost completely dark but a strobe splashed white lights all over the walls and the people who were way too close together. A few times, I impulsively apologized when I knew that I had stepped on someone's toes in my heels.

I had to look away from some of the girls because their outfits were so ridiculous that it was all I could do to not squeak with embarrassment for them. I had only been out on the city once or twice in Seoul, but it was nothing at all like Hong Kong. In fact, I had a good feeling that I would be scarred for life before I even left this club.

We finally made it passed everyone and Taeyeon took me up some stairs that I hadn't seen before. I held on to the railing to make sure I wouldn't end up tripping and falling on my shoes like an idiot. The tiny, cramped stairwell finally opened up into a balcony and I nearly stopped in my tracks once I looked up. The lighting was much improved, but I sort of wished that it was dark again. Everyone... everyone there was drop dead gorgeous. When Taeyeon came up behind me, he gently pushed me forward so that he could step onto the floor of the balcony we had just gone to. Immediately heads turned and upwards of at least thirty people started to clap and cheer.

It took me a minute to realize that it was all for Taeyeon. Stepping aside, I let him bask in the glory of his audience and wished I could melt into the shadows. Being the modest person he was, he chuckled briefly and put his hands up, protesting about the special treatment. One by one they came up to him, smiling, laughing, giggling and flirting especially. Taeyeon wasn't fazed; in fact he stepped closer to me when the first girl came over and threw her arms around him. I couldn't help but notice a few of the guys looking me over as well.

It made me smile a little bit, but only because it reminded me of Taeyeon's reaction when he saw my outfit. I personally didn't think it was that crazy. In fact, in comparison to some of the things I had seen these people wearing I felt down right shabby. Tiffany had packed me a pair of shiny black skinny jeans that fit me just right and hugged every single curve I possessed. I was perfectly aware that though I didn't have a perfect body, it certainly dipped and swelled in all the right places and I chose to take advantage of that by using simple, clinging fabrics. It was cold outside since it was an October night, but I knew that it would be warm in the club so I made do with a smoky grey crop top that fell off one shoulder with a sequin strapped black bra under it. Top that off with a long, dangling silver necklace, two baby blue bracelets for color and heavy black eye makeup and I was good to go. Deciding to try a low maintenance look, I simply brushed my hair until it fells in soft, silky waves down my back. I hesitated when I was choosing the shoes, but finally decided to go with a pair of shiny baby blue three inch pumps that perfectly matched the bracelets I was wearing and made my legs look absolutely killer but still managed to be somewhat comfortable. They were my favorite pair of shoes and I hadn't really gotten a chance to wear them. I was just glad Tiffany had thought to pack them with the bracelets.

Taeyeon walked out of the back room just as I was applying my rosy red lipstick and stopped dead in his tracks. I pursed my lips in the mirror, giving him a chance to admire my slightly bent form before straightening and staring at him head on. "Is this Hong Kong enough?" I asked, putting my hands on my waist. The bracelets clanked and Taeyeon's eyes simply roved over me in blatant male appreciation that he didn't even try to hide, pausing on the small swath of bare stomach exposed by the shortness of my crop top. Instead of responding, he grinned mysteriously and shook his head. He didn't have to say anything to me anyway; the flash of approval and desire that I saw in his eyes made me blush with secret pleasure.

He wasn't looking too bad himself. He was wearing a deep blue button down shirt that he had rolled the sleeves up on to show off his perfectly muscled forearms. The first two buttons were undone, showing a bit of a pristine white t-shirt underneath. He had on a pair of dark blue jeans that fit him perfectly, and hinted at the form that was hidden beneath them. His shoes were simple but not cheap and I was reminded of how much money he had. Some scent clung to him like a second skin and I almost wanted to hang on to his side just so that I could close my eyes and get lost in it. Even though he looked great in his outfit, I knew for a fact that whatever cologne he was wearing would be what drew everyone in.

"Who do we have here?" someone said. I turned my head to see a guy with black hair and striking dark eyes leering at me like I was a piece of meat. Feeling distinctly uncomfortable, I inched closer to Taeyeon's side and he placed a reassuring hand on my arm.

"This is a good friend of mine from home," he said as a way of introduction. Though he was talking to the guy in front of us, I could tell that everyone around was listening too. "Jessica, this is Seungri, Seungri Jessica."

The guy didn't say anything for a moment even when I smiled demurely in his direction. Then, he stood and I saw that he was almost four inches over my head even in the heels I was wearing. His eyes continued to undress me and I felt my skin crawl. I had seen a look like that before.

"Wow," he finally said, and the heat that was so clear in his voice caught me off guard. I had never known anyone to be so forward. "No wonder you've been completely shut off from the girls around here," his eyes were on Taeyeon, but they fell back to me and I fidgeted under his scrutiny. Then, his grin turned lecherous, "I wouldn't mess with them either if I had a piece of like that waiting for me at home."

My mouth dropped open in shock; did he really just say that? The entire floor seemed to grow silent, waiting with baited breath for a reaction. They weren't disappointed.

"Watch it," Taeyeon warned, his voice dangerously low. Even I was surprised by the amount of menace hidden behind those two simple words. Seungri immediately backed off, putting his hands up in surrender and moving away. But even after Taeyeon led me further into the room I could feel his eyes on me and somewhere deep inside me I got a sinking feeling that this wasn't over.

As we made our way through the crowd, I realized that my numbers were way off. This must have been what he meant when he said they were giving him a party. At first I didn't understand how someone could have a last minute party in a club, but now I saw that they had completely taken over the VIP balcony and the exclusive area of the club was filled with upcoming actors and models and even some that were already in the midst of blazing their paths.

"Sorry about that," Taeyeon murmured and his breath against my ear made me shiver slightly. I shrugged, trying to act like I had already moved on. He took me over to a red vinyl semi-circle couch and I sat, grateful when he came down right beside me. Immediately there were glasses of champagne in front of us which we both refused, reaching for the water instead. Well, drinking any alcohol was completely out of the question for me.

At the thought, my stomach began to roll with a vengeance and I discreetly pressed my hand to it. I hadn't noticed how weird all the smells in the club were, but now they were hitting me hard. Trying not to draw attention to myself since I knew every pair of eyes was still on me, I leaned forward slightly and began sipping at a bottle of water to fight the nausea that was making my mouth water.

Taeyeon was talking to someone who had come up to the couch and they seemed to be having a pleasant conversation, but to be honest I couldn't really spare much focus on them. I was using all of my concentration on trying not to throw up in the middle of a club filled with models and actors. It took me a minute or two, but the wave passed and I sighed with relief. My morning sickness had been mercifully calm over the last couple of days, but the club was unfamiliar and my nose was hypersensitive.

"Hey Taeyeon," a familiar voice made me look up and I immediately recognized Hyuna's expertly highlighted blonde hair and pixie face. Taeyeon grinned and leaned back on the couch, closer to me. Catching the hint, I turned my body into his and crossed my legs. We were centimeters apart and it definitely didn't go unnoticed.

"Hey Hyuna," Taeyeon replied easily, "I heard you came to visit me in the hospital."

She dipped her head, fidgeting slightly, "Of course. When I found out what happened I had to come see you."

I blinked, my eyes narrowing. This docile girl wasn't at all the fireball I had met in the hospital. I didn't know what kind of act she was trying to put on, but I had a good feeling that Taeyeon could clearly see through it.

"Well I appreciate it." He turned to me and there was a slight twinkle in his eyes. "Jessica, I think you've already met Hyuna, right?"

I wiped away any hostility I might have been feeling towards her and stretched out my hand, "We met at the hospital." I said with a warm smile. She took my hand and shook it, her palm soft against mine. She stood and talked to us for a few more minutes, mostly inquiring about Taeyeon's health and casting me a few glances here and there. I had to hide a smile of amusement at how unsettled she was to see me sitting firmly beside him. When she left, we looked at each other and then hid little giggles behind our hands. Apparently we had both been thinking the same thing. I wondered if I should tell him about her shady motives for wanting to be with him in the first place and then decided that it wasn't really necessary.

After a little while, a bunch of Taeyeon's beautiful friends came over and tried to coax us into going downstairs to dance. I didn't want to do it; I wasn't a big fan of the club atmosphere as it was. But once again, Taeyeon managed to persuade me to go and before I knew it I was swept onto the dance floor and pressed way too intimately against several people all around me. There was barely any room to navigate, so the first thing some of his friends did was clear a small area on the floor by basically pushing everyone out of the way.

Taeyeon reached out and took my shoulders, forcing me to rock to the beat with him. After a minute of that I brushed his hands away and reluctantly began to let my body take up the rhythm of the music. The bass was so loud that I felt its vibrations straight through to my bones and down to the tips of my feet. Soon, I was laughing and moving, my hips swaying sensually in time to whatever fast pop song was playing. Taeyeon was there in front of me, moving easily to the music and smiling. We danced with a lot of other people too; as everyone got more comfortable together anyone was pulled into a tight embrace with anyone else. I had felt more hands on my hips than I wanted to count, but even that didn't bother me very much. When Taeyeon and I found our way back to each other, there was a slight flush in his cheeks and I could tell that he was enjoying himself.

He said something and I shook my head, indicating that I couldn't hear him. He pressed closer to me his fingers curling around my waist, "Having fun?"

Without thinking about it, my hand slid over his neck as I leaned in to respond. "I guess it's not so bad." Then, I frowned, "How's your head?" the loud music couldn't be good for the kinds of headaches he had been having.

He shrugged, "It's alright. I took something before we left so it hasn't been too bad."

We were still moving with the music. Without realizing it, our bodies had begun to sway in synch and we danced close together, closer than usual because we were trying to talk at the same time. I ran hand through the waves that had begun to form in my hair and Taeyeon reached out to tug on a lock of it.

"Your hair got so long," he said offhandedly. He was right; it had gotten significantly longer since August, falling in the middle of my back. It had to do with the increase of hormones my body was producing because of the pregnancy. I grinned, but it was half-hearted because even amidst all of those people and all the loud noises I was once again reminded of my deep, dark secret. "You okay?" he had noticed the shadow that flickered across my face and I immediately tried to brighten up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter