Chapter 31

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Mom... Mom I'm fine. No, Mom you don't need to come. I promise." From my seat in the taxi, I could hear Taeyeon calming his mother down. She hadn't gotten a chance to talk to him since he hadn't been really coherent or conversational even though he was awake. Now, even though I was a good two feet away at least, I could hear her in the receiver of my cell phone. She was loud and she was obviously crying but I knew that it was with relief.

My eyes stayed glued to the window. Traffic was moving slowly but I didn't care. I barely saw it anyway. Even Taeyeon's conversation with his mother wasn't registering. All I could think about was the fact that I was going to be living with him for almost a month... and he didn't know about the baby.

The depression that swept over me because of that made me lean my head against the door. I fought back a sigh. It was weird, sitting beside him while he was talking and moving around. Somewhere in my head, I imagined that when he woke up we would be having a conversation about our child. I was deathly afraid of that conversation, but I was almost ready for it to happen.

But this... I didn't know how to handle this. It was one thing when I had finally resigned myself to a life as a mother at home. When I didn't have to see him and smile in his face and lie everyday to him I could tell myself that I was okay. But now that I would be there with him... now that he would probably see my morning sickness in action and wonder what was going on I didn't know what to do.

My morning sickness was going to be a real problem. I had always thought that it only lasted through the first trimester, but the last few days had proved me wrong. I was still waking up nauseous each morning and sometimes I was still throwing up. A lot of smells made me flinch and cover my mouth and there were a lot of things I still couldn't eat. Even though I knew I should be thinking up explanations for when I had to scramble to the bathroom, I couldn't even manage that.

Thirteen weeks along and Taeyeon had no idea. I had made it through the first trimester and was just getting into the second. And for so long, I had felt alone because no one else knew. After I told him, even though he didn't respond I felt some of that weight leave my shoulders. But now it was all back, and with a vengeance. I just felt so... lonely.

Taeyeon laughed at something his mother said, but his chuckle ended in a gasp of pain. I glanced over to see him pressing a hand to his ribs and grimacing. "Mom, I'm fine. It just hurts to laugh... and breathe..." the taxi ran over a rut in the road and Taeyeon groaned as he was jolted sharply. He gingerly touched his forehead, "...and think."

I felt bad for him. He would definitely be suffering over the coming weeks because of his injuries and I wasn't a nurse. Even though I had the doctor's instructions, I was still a little afraid that I would do something wrong and end up getting him more hurt than he already was.

The taxi finally pulled up in front of Taeyeon's building and I snapped back to reality when I heard Taeyeon's car door open. Steadying myself, I gathered my bags and got out of the car. Taeyeon was waiting for me on the sidewalk, my phone in his hands. He slid it into the opening of my purse and began a slow pace towards the door.

"For only having broken ribs, my legs hurt a hell of a lot." He grunted, limping slightly.

"You were hit by a car," I said blandly. He glanced back at me and my eyes fell to the sidewalk in shame. I didn't mean to be so rude, but my mood was far from pleasant. Still, it wasn't fair to take it out on him. He had just woken up from a week long coma; the least I could do is fake happiness.

Without another word, we made our way into the building. To my amusement, he sat down on the couch in the elevator and it suddenly redeemed itself as a useful piece of furniture in my eyes. When we got to his apartment, I opened the door for him and held it as he walked in. immediately he went to the couch and slid down onto it gingerly, sighing with relief.

I set my bags down and then stood in front of him with my arms crossed, "That bad?" I asked softly.

He had closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the couch. At my question, he opened one eye a slit, "That bad and worse. I just want to sit in total darkness for... a long time."

My sympathies welled up again. I reached over and flipped the light switches so that the only thing streaming into the room was natural light. Still, it was broad daylight and it didn't help much so I walked to the window and slid shut the heavy blinds, nearly submerging the room in complete darkness. Taeyeon sighed again, his hand over his ribs, "Thanks."

Without responding, I went into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of frozen peas. They chilled my hand as I made my way back to the couch. "Lie down," I told him. He glanced up at me and then at my hand before arranging himself on the couch so that his head was on a pillow. When he moved his hand from his ribs, I set the bag there instead. He hissed with discomfort for a split second, his eyes tightly shut. Then, I could see the tension leave him.

"I hate ice," he murmured, setting his fingers over his forehead instead. The gauze had been taken off, but there was still severe bruising right at his hairline and I could only imagine the headache he must have had.

"It's not ice; it's peas and you love peas," I responded. Going back into the kitchen, I made a bowl of ice water and then dipped a washcloth in it, making sure it was completely soaked. Then, I wrung it out and brought it back out to him, setting it on his forehead. His brow furrowed at first and then he stilled, his face smoothing out. "Do you want any of the medicine for your head?" I asked.

"No, this is good," he said. I nodded and then went to his bedroom where all of my stuff was. After a week of basically living there already, the contents of my bag were everywhere. Sighing tiredly, I began gathering it all up so that Taeyeon could have his bed back. He was the sick one and I would be damned before I let him sleep on the couch in his own home.

My eyes caught on the pregnancy book I had been reading before going to bed each night and I picked it up, biting my lip. It was still hard to believe...

Before I could let my mind go down that path again for the millionth time since I made the decision to keep the baby, I stuffed the book into the very bottom of my bag, making sure there was no chance of it being seen accidentally. After all of my things were gathered and sloppily repacked, I took one last look at the room. It still smelled like him, though not as strongly. As a matter of fact, there was a hint of me now. The familiar spice of my body soap and perfume caught my nose and a small smile quirked my lips before I turned and left the room.

Trying to be quiet, I set my bags down on the loveseat. "I'm sorry you got dragged into this," Taeyeon said suddenly, startling me. I looked over at him. He was still lying on the couch, his eyes shut. One of his hands held the peas in place, the other laid calmly at his side.

I bit my lip, "I didn't get dragged in; I said I would come."

"Because my mom asked you."

"Because your mom needed help. It was either me or her and I had a feeling that the last thing you would want is for her to go against her doctor's orders and end up sick." When I sat down on the loveseat, a wave of exhaustion left me feeling dizzy. I hadn't even realized how tired I was but the excitement and stress of the last couple of days had finally caught up to me.

"I really appreciate that you did this," he said after a long moment. "You have no idea."

"I know how important your mother's health is to you," I responded. Then, I swallowed hard and admitted a small truth. "And she knew how important your health is to me."

This time, Taeyeon turned his head and looked at me. Even though the room was dark I could still see his eyes. The expression from earlier at the hospital when he found out I had been there the whole week was back. "Sica," he started and I could sense his hesitance.

"Don't," I said quietly. Though I couldn't tell for sure what he was going to say, I had an idea and now wasn't the time for us to try and have that conversation. "Let's just focus on getting you better."

His eyes were piercing and he continued to stare at me as though deciding whether or not to listen or carry on with what he was saying. When he turned his head back and shut his eyes, I mentally sighed with relief. I had to be there for three more weeks, the last thing I wanted was for it to be an awkward three weeks.

I dozed on and off on the loveseat, getting up every hour to replace the bag of peas and washcloth with a heating pad. We said a few words to each other here and there, but most of the time was spent resting and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter