Chapter 22

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A year off?" my mother's mouth hung open and she stared at me as though I had just sprouted horns on the top of my head.

"Just one," I replied as brightly as I could manage, my hands clasped tightly in front of me. My father simply remained sitting, not saying a single word. They had relocated to the living room after dinner and were now seated comfortably on the couch. I felt a little like I was on display as I stood before them, too nervous to sit down.

"But... why?" my mom asked bewildered.

I shrugged, "College is expensive. I can get a job and save money so you guys don't have to pay as much next year. It's not permanent, it's only this year."

My mother shook her head slowly as though still unable to believe what I had just proposed. I bit my lip, unsure of what to say. The thing was I couldn't really tell them my true reasoning. They didn't know about this summer at all. They didn't know about Taeyeon and me, and especially not about the baby. And I had no intention of telling them.

I could understand if they were a little confused as to my sudden change of heart. "I've just been thinking lately," I began, shifting my weight from foot to foot nervously. "I've always thought that college was what I wanted, but lately I haven't been so sure. I just want some time to figure out for myself what I want to do with my life."

"To figure out what you want?" My mom stared up at me, "Jessie, you're supposed to leave on Friday."

"I've already called the school and arranged everything." I said, waiting with baited breath for their response.

There was a long silence before anyone else spoke. It made me nervous that they were being so quiet. "So," my mom began, calmly, "The decision has already been made. You're just informing us?"

In that split second I realized how what I had said sounded to them. I made it seem like I was including them in the process when I had technically already taken care of it for myself. "I didn't want to wait until it was too late," I replied with an apologetic tone.

More silence. "How long have you been thinking about this?" my father finally spoke for the first time since we started the discussion.

"A while now," I said, and I realized that it was true. Though taking a year off hadn't necessarily been my plan, I had been reconsidering my decision to go to college for some time. The second I had to think about the possibility of raising a child, I didn't have a choice but to rethink my life plan. "I just want some time for myself." I reiterated, imploring him to understand.

He just looked at me and then he shrugged, "Well, if this is what you want to do, we can't stop you. You're an adult now."

A slow smile spread across my face, the relief I felt washing over me. But before I could say anything, my mom sat up, agitation clear on her face. "We can't stop her? What about the tuition payment we already made? The things we bought?" she gestured towards the college pile in the corner of the room.

"Um," I interrupted before my dad could respond, "They're sending the tuition payment back as we speak. And I can still use all of that stuff. I really do plan on going back next year."

"Where will you find a job, Jessie?" my mom turned her angry gaze back on me and I shrank away from her. "Do you plan on serving fast food or something? Is that really how you want to spend your year off?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but I didn't have anything to say. I hadn't really thought that far into it yet. I barely finished making the decision to take the time off anyway.

"Actually, I can help with that."

My mother and I both stopped the argument that was about to happen to stare at my dad, dumbfounded. He smiled briefly, patting my mother's knee with a stilling hand. "One of my clients, a very successful businessman whose office is downtown has been looking for a secretary for weeks. I'm sure he would love to have you."

"A secretary?" I screwed up my nose in instant refusal. "I can't do that. I've never done anything like that. Don't you need more education than I've got for something like that?"

"Just good typing skills and organization. And of course, a good phone voice and memory skills," my dad smiled, leaning comfortably back into the couch, "All things I know you have. I can call him tomorrow morning."

"But..." I was confused and a little overwhelmed. A job in one of those giant buildings downtown? Would he be one of those guys whose office was on the fortieth floor or something? And would he be a stickler for perfection? "Dad, I don't know."

This time, it was mother that spoke. Blinking at me, she crossed her arms, "Well, why not? It sounds like a perfectly good job for you. And this is what you wanted, isn't it?"

I stared at my parents, my mouth hanging open. I couldn't believe that in no time they had already calmed down about the fact that I didn't want to go to college and picked a job out for me. How did this happen?

"Uh... yes, but-"

"Then it's settled!" my mother declared, standing up from the couch. "Your father will call the man tomorrow and with any luck we'll have you in a job in the next couple of weeks."

My dad grunted with agreement and stood also. They walked out of the living room, leaving me standing there with my mouth still hanging open. "Wait," I called following them to the stairs. "Who is this businessman, anyway? What if he's crazy?"

My dad laughed, turning back to me briefly, "He's not crazy. I've worked with him for years. I don't know if you've heard of him though; Mr. Choi Siwon?"

I stopped in my tracks, staring at him. "Choi Siwon?" I echoed woodenly. "As in the Choi who own half the South Korea?"

He laughed again, patting my head as though I was a child, "He doesn't own half the South Korea, Jessie. He's just a successful businessman. There are lots of them."

"Not in Seoul." I retorted. "I can't work for him. I'll screw everything up!"

"No you won't," it was my mother who chimed in this time, "you're smart.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter