The First Meeting

Love You Lately

Today is different; Tao will not going to wait for Amber at their usual coffee shop meeting place, Tao is at the train station, waiting for Amber. She should be arrived in any minutes, Tao’s mumble in his mind while constantly checking his mobile phones.

A soft finger poking Tao’s back and Tao reflexes turning his body to see the person, and there standing, Amber, smiling to him, “It’s nice of you waiting for me here, Taozi, I never thought you would be this considerate!” said Amber while hugging his boyfriend tightly and release it slowly while seeing Tao is smiling back at her. “You are so cute today!” Said Amber and give a soft peck in Tao’s cheek makes Tao’s face flushed in pink, Tao is wearing his black ripped jeans and white loose shirt covered by his black denim jacket and matching it with combat boots.

“Stop it, I’m not a child and I’m not cute!” Said Tao with his nasal voice and turning his face away from Amber to hide his embarrassment. “Where and when are you going to meet this friend of yours again? How do you guys finally reunited?” Tao stop his step and turning his face to the left to hear Amber’s answer. “I’m going to meet him at the mall and have a lunch there, what a small world don’t you think? I met one of my friend of the gang abroad and he gave me the phone number, and I called him, I’m so happy to know that he is living in the same city with you, I can’t wait to catch up so much information about all of my friends abroad I’m sure he still in contact with them!” explains Amber while catching Tao’s hand and holds it while they start to walk again.

“Is it ok if I come along?” Asked Tao with his wide puppy eyes and pouted lips. “Of course, why would you think I’ll leave you in your empty apartment and doing nothing while I met my old friend? I’ll introduce him to you, maybe you can hang out with him after this, I swear he is the greatest and humblest person I know, Tao. Besides, you need to have more friends, at this age you should hang out with your friends, going to a party or playing games with them” Tao smiling and think that it is not that hard to get a new friend in this college, he thought, besides he is not a nerd, or weird kind of student, he just don’t like clinging to someone who does not know anything about him yet, and lucky for him he manage to be friend with Sehun without any conflict since Sehun understands him completely. “I’m OK, I have plenty of time to socialize, I need to focus with my grades, or mom will cut my monthly allowance and I will have to work my off day and night like Sehun, gahh, no thanks” Amber chuckling and slap his boyfriend left shoulder “such a lazy you are, you’ll have to work someday eventually, you cannot ask your mom to defray your entire life, Taozi!” their conversation continues inside the taxi ride until they arrive at the mall and both of them walking to find decent and comfy place to have lunch while waiting for Amber’s so-called-old-friend.

Amber talking to his phone now, Tao suddenly feeling uneasy since he does not like thinking that he is going to be ignored for the rest of the day watching his girlfriend talking and enjoying herself with another person, or a stranger, he thought. “Earth to Tao!” Amber’s loud voice waking Tao up from his day-dreaming and make him startled a bit. “I’m going to the ladies room and meet him in front of the west entrance, wait here, ok?” Amber starts walking away from Tao without waiting for him to answer.

It’s been 10 minutes since he left alone in the restaurant, Tao nodding his head up and down while listening to the music in his iPod and take a glance with the two people approaching towards him with laughter, he see Amber with her friend, a tall guy wearing red plaid shirt combines with black leather pants and black & white mid-cut sneaker really suits his caramel brown spiky hair with charming smile that he could not help to wonder, why the smile look so familiar, did he know him? He just couldn’t remember at all. “Taozi, this is Kris, and Kris, this is Taozi!” Tao slightly annoyed with the fact that Amber introduce him to a stranger using his given nickname “Just Tao, please” Standing up and shake his hand with the stranger and the three of them sitting down. “Wait, I know you, Tao! You don’t remember me? I’m Kris, we met at the library at our campus before!” Tao’s eyes widened and finally realized that the person in front of him is actually the stranger he met at the library before. Kris is smiling at him and still looking at him narrowly. “Oh, yeah right, small world, huh” Said Tao awkwardly unable to think clearly because the guy who sit in front of him surely give him the charming smile and even Tao did not want to admit it, this guy is handsome and he is wondering maybe it’s time to feel the jealousy looking at his girlfriend and so-called-Kris sitting closely together.

“Indeed it is a small world, you two have met? So you guys attending the same university too!” Amber amazed by the fact and looking at his friend and Tao alternately. “Kris, since you are now turning as a handsome man, I bet you are popular in campus right? Do you have a girlfriend now?” Amber teased Kris while poking his hands with her index finger.

Kris sighed and smile calmly, unconsciously take a glance at Tao who is trying to busy himself with his mobile phone again, he looks bored, he thought and control himself turning his face now looking at Amber who is waiting for him to answer “I’m busy doing my thesis right now, I am turning into nerdy Kris lately, spending most of my time at the library, just going to finish my thesis quickly so I can focus on my family company business better, no time for romance, Amber. You seem relaxed with your thesis, how is it going?” Kris waving his hand to the waitress to get the menu and his eyes trailing down as he read the menu once he received it

“Yeah right, I thought you are playboy now or something, look at you still the same great guy I met couple years ago, the one who catch your heart will be so lucky, Kris!” The wide smile appear on Amber’s face and she seems can’t stop smiling today because she is too happy to meet his great friend.

“Taozi, what do you want to eat?” Kris asking Tao suddenly and Tao look flustered by the sudden question, “Umm..” before could finish his sentence, Amber speaks for him “Just order Fettuccine for him, he likes it, right, Taozi?” Amber said and looking at Tao attentively and Tao nodding his head with a kid smile in his lips, “Let’s finish our lunch quickly, I want to buy new Gucci for my collection, please!” Said Tao shaking his girlfriend’s hand and let a chuckle out from Kris’ mouth “Is he always like this? Acting cute and I don’t think he is making that up”

Amber laugh hearing Kris’ question and answer it quickly “Yeah, he is too adorable right? I think we should finish our lunch session quickly, Kris, and we can talk more after we arrive at the Gucci store, we have plenty of time; because you know, once he enters that store, we have to wait for a couple hours for him to finish shopping”

They spend their time accompanying Tao shopping happily looking at the store collection with sparkling eyes enjoying every moments of it spoiling his eyes. Kris and Amber sitting on the couch provided in the center of the store and keep talking to each other, talking about the old days, catching up the information about their daily activities until the time finally decided that it is time to go home, Tao insisted to accompany his girlfriend to the train station, and also Kris. They went to the parking area and follow Kris to his car and Tao keep his silence because of the exhaustion after standing and running back and forth at the Gucci store.

Amber grab Kris’s hand and looking at him once they arrive at the parking area in the train station “Kris, I don’t think you should accompany me inside, and ummm can you help me with something, Kris?”

“Of course, what is it?” Kris’ looking at Amber confusedly with the sudden request

“Can you please take my Taozi back to his apartment, it’s kinda late, and I don’t want to worry about him when I’m on my way back”

Tao startled with Amber’s request to Kris and push his body sitting upright in the back seat “No, you don’t have to, Kris, Ge” It’s not polite to call him by the name, he is older than him, although it is awkward to call him Gege since he does not know him very well, Tao thinking to himself.

“Well of course, just put your shopping bags here, I’ll wait for you here, Tao” Said Kris with the most welcoming smile hearing the younger calling him as his Gege.

“Let’s get going, Taozi!” Amber opens the door in the front seat and she forgot to say goodbye to his friend “and thank you very much for your time today, Kris. It’s nice to see you again; I’ll contact you if I have a plan to go back in town, goodbye!”

“Yeah, me too, take care yourself, I’ll be waiting for your call” Said Kris tilting his head to see Amber took off and also Tao coming out from the back seat.

Tao keeps his silence while walking together with Amber across the parking area, Amber notice his tiredness and begin to his hair slowly while walking “are you happy today, Taozi?”

“Of course, I’m just tired, sorry for being so quiet” Tao said and taking his hand to grab Amber’s hand from his hair and hold in between them and keep walking until they arrived at the passenger waiting hall, the place is almost empty, and they both sitting down after picking up the seat in the center of the hall.

Tao squeezing Amber’s hand slowly, and looking into her eyes when she turn his head to the right and looking at Tao’s face with confusion for the sudden action from the younger. “Tao, wha..” Tao pressed his lips with her before she could finish the sentence. Her eyes widened and reply the kiss and moving her lips slowly balancing Tao’s lips movement and tilting her head to the right so that their nose does not inflicting each other and the pace is quickening. They stopped after hearing the arrival announcement of the train. Amber releases the kiss and put her right hand into Tao’s cheek “I’m going to call you later, OK? Kris probably waiting for too long now, bye and good night my Taozi” Amber gives Tao a soft peck in his lips and Tao nodding and they go in different separated way.

Tao knocking slowly on the car window glass while peeking on the driver seat to see what Kris is doing. Kris is holding his mobile phone and welcoming Tao to go inside his car and to sit in the front seat. “You know my apartment right, the one near our campus? Thank you very much Ge for the ride, I don’t really want to bother you but Amber tsk.. She is worrying about me too much” Tao starting the conversation because the awkward moment during their ride.

Kris is smiling at Tao with his genuine smile “Not a problem, Tao. You don’t have to mention it”

“I’ll treat you lunch if we ever meet again at the campus” said Tao and let a yawn slip from his mouth

“What do you mean with “if we ever meet again”? Sure we are going to meet again after this, we are not a stranger anymore, aren’t we?” Tao smile hearing Kris’ question yet too sleepy to answer it, and Kris’ notice that Tao already half asleep so he just keep his silence while frequently checking on Tao’s face from time to time during the ride. How can he be so cute while sleeping and doing nothing. He never actually saw a guy at Tao’s age being so cheerful and naïve at the same time, it would be fun to get to know his unique personality better, Kris unconsciously smiling with his own thought. He shakes Tao’s body slowly in order to waking him up once they arrived at Tao’s apartment parking area.

“5 more minutes, mom!” Tao murmuring and continue to sleep with his whining voice and let Kris laugh surrounding the car “Tao, wake up, we’re here, and I’m not your mother either” as Kris continue to laugh, Tao is startled, waking up and fully awake. His face covered with red flush because of the embarrassment, “I’m sorry, force of habit, Ge! Thank you and See you, bye!” said Tao opening the door in hurry taking his shopping bags with him and running across the parking area to avoid Kris eye contact and make him embarrassed even more, letting Kris laughing and smiling on his way home thinking about Tao’s innocence and captivating behavior.

Tao enters his apartment and Sehun came out from his room checking on Tao. “Where have you been? I was worrying about you since you don’t reply my texts” Tao checking on his phone and saw 3 messages from Sehun “I’m sorry, I fall asleep on the ride back home, besides I’m not a child anymore Sehunna, stop worrying about me, I’m tired being treated as a child, I can take care of myself” Tao’s tiredness controlling his emotion and he did not want to start a fight with Sehun because of the exhaustion.

“Sleeping on the ride back home? What if someone robbed you?” his concerns for Tao continue to take the lead of his emotions too

“I was taken home by Amber’s friend. Who do you think you are Sehun? You are not my brother, stop this act please, you should get a life instead of working and studying, and of course stop thinking about me too much will you? for example, get a girlfriend, or boyfriend, I don’t know whatever suits you, I’m tired you act like my brother, being protective and things, because you are definitely not!” Slamming the door behind him, Tao already regretting his words to Sehun, it might be hurtful to hear but he is really tired and now trying to held back his tears from coming down his eyes, this is not what he wanted, he did not like any confrontation, or fight, especially with Sehun, he knew that he should say sorry instead of yelling at him, Sehun care about him, of course, he will make up with Sehun tomorrow, now he need to rest.

 

----

 

The sunlight brushes Tao’s cheek that Sunday morning, Tao open his eyes slowly and look at the wall clock in his room, 10.00 AM, he wants to go back to sleep but then he remember something happened last night with Sehun and suddenly jump from his bed, opening the door and knocking softly at Sehun’s door.

Knock, knock, knock “Sehunna, are you already awake? I know you are, I’m sorry for everything I said before, I never meant it, really, I’m sorry” he keep his silence for a moment and listening any movement or sound behind Sehun’s door, and he swiveling the doorknob and find that the room is empty. Sehun is gone. He thought. Sehun is probably leaving me and going to find another roommate, he thought again. That’s stupid; his clothes are still hanging neatly in his wardrobe, and almost all of his things. “Stupid brain” he frowned and going to the bathroom to take a bath.

Sehun walk on the same path he passed by every day, he is going to the bubble tea shop, just to sit and enjoy a bubble tea, and of course running away from Tao before the boy wakes up. He needs to clear his head for awhile, he knew that Tao probably worrying about him, he knows Tao’s habit too much, he knew that Tao never really meant what he said that night, it’s not his fault though, Sehun being inappropriate friend last night, maybe Tao’s right, he should get a boyfriend, or girlfriend soon, whatever suits him, although he never knew about it, he never been in a relationship and maybe he just did not want to start soon.

He push the glass door and the twinkling bell above the door ringing every time the door pushed by every one that enters the shop. “Sehun, what are you doing here?” Jongin, his work mates looking at him confusedly.

“I’m just buying bubble tea though, is that a problem? Do you want your tips? Move your now, I’m your customer, you did not want me to get pissed and call your manager right?”

“!” Jongin smirk at his friend and prepare to make the bubble tea, giving it to him and exchanging it with Sehun’s money. Sehun sit at the corner alone while watching the television above his head playing some old movies from 1990s that he is not really interested to pay his attention to. The twinkling bell echoed around the room and Sehun look at the door, watching the guy, the same guy that he always watches drinking bubble tea almost every day in this bubble tea shop, wearing a black hoodie jacket, ordering something in the counter and sit right across him and he move his eyes running away from the guy’s face because the guy is looking right at him and he flustered by the sudden eye contact and profess his attention to the telly even he still thinking about Tao, and the guy with the black hoodie.

He reminded him with someone, from his childhood, the one who mentally torture him, indirectly, and giving his false hope for years. He said that he will come back for him someday, because he has to study at Beijing, living Sehun alone with his promises, false promises. The same doe-eye and thin lips, Sehun thought maybe it’s just his imagination, or maybe he is the same person, that failed to recognize Sehun that sit right in front of him, or standing behind the counter every day to serve him his favorite bubble tea, or worse, that guy already forgetting Sehun’s existence and also his empty promises. He shook his head unconsciously removing the thought that ruining his peaceful Sunday and then the phone ring, and he sees Panda Tao’s name on the screen, sighing and slowly push the green button.

“Sehunna!! WHERE ARE YOU!! ARE YOU GOING TO LEAVE ME ALONE IN THIS APARTMENT? ARE YOU CRAZY?!” Tao shout and whimpering at the same time before Sehun able to say hello to him and let Sehun smile because of the shouting.

“Yah!! It’s too early for shouting! Yeah, I’m going to leave you, Tao… for 20 minutes, ha-ha” Sehun let out mocking laugh and completely forgot the existence of the guy in across of him, he should reminding himself to stay in a good behavior in front of the guy, or the stranger.

“Sehunna, I’m sorry for last night, I never really meant it, please come back! It’s OK if you want to be my brother, I’m sure my mom would gladly put your name in our family card, and you can stop working and start focusing on your study since you don’t have to worry about money if you are joining my family, but please come back now and I’m so hungry right now!”

“What are you talking about; I never wanted to be someone’s brother, especially you lazy brat! I’m sorry too for last night, you never come back late without giving me any information, I know it’s my fault too for worrying too much, and I guess you are ready to sleep alone when it’s raining outside with loud thunders and also the blackout, because you are an ADULT, right, Tao?”

“Stop teasing me! Now get back here and bring me something to eat, please” Tao release his aegyo voice and it seems working for everyone who hears it, or worse, see it.

Sehun standing up and start to walk away from the bubble tea shop and ignoring the stare from the black hoodie guy earlier, he had enough drama this week, and did not want to start one again, he walks and looking for some food for Tao, and ended up buying him spaghetti since he knows that the younger loves western food so much.

Tao laying on the couch in their living room once Sehun arrive and getting up cheerfully taking the food container that Sehun brought for him. “Thank you so much, Sehunna jjang” and start eating while Sehun take a seat in front of him

“How’s your date going last night?” He asked while watching Tao eating in a rush because he is too hungry.

“everydghing grubwh” Tao said with a mouthful spaghetti in his mouth

Sehun frowned looking at the boy in front of him “tsk, seriously, this kid, I am talking to 5 years old” and receiving a slap in his hand from Tao

“I said everything is great, though we kissed in passion last night” Tao continue chewing his food and blush when Sehun is now looking at him with his piercing stare drilling through Tao’s eyes.

“So I guess you already say it, then?”

Rolling his eyes while shoving more food into his mouth cutely Tao finally speaks “Say what?”

“Stop acting dumb, you know what I meant, saying that you love her.. or vice versa”

“Maybe later, I don’t know. Are you a girl, Sehunna? Do you really need that kind of reassurance when you are in relationship with someone? It’s not like I only been with her for weeks, we spent our entire life together, Sehun. I don’t think we are type of couple who do this lovey dovey things, tsk”

Watching Tao’s mumbles while chewing is really cute, Sehun thought, but Tao is not angry yet, he is in a good mood today, so he said something even bolder statement to make Tao start thinking carefully about his relationship. “Well, I never said that the 3 words is for someone’s reassurance, it’s for yourself, or her, you need to start thinking with your heart instead of your brain, do you really love her? It’s not that hard to say something if you really meant it, right?
I know I’m no expert in this situation”

Before Sehun could finish his sentence, Tao interrupt him while standing and took the food container to the trash can “yeah, easy for you to say, have you ever been in love, Sehunna? You should ask yourself the same question, especially since you don’t have a gut to ask the guy from your bubble tea shop out on a date, or even asking his name, it’s been a year already, Sehunna!”

Sehun rolling his eyes, “Way to change the subject, kid. He is just a stranger, and I don’t want to talk about him with you, because you’ll tease me for a whole week about him. Just think about my statement earlier, I support you with Amber, she is a great girl to begin with”

“ha ha ha, who are you now, my parents? I don’t need your permission to date someone, thanks for the food, it’s delicious, and I’ll pay you back later. Going to Wushu training now, buhbye!” said Tao rolling out his tongue cheerfully and getting prepared for his Wushu training, ignoring Sehun in the living room and close the door behind him.