Understanding

Love You Lately

It's been 10 minutes since Tao sitting on the coffee shop chair that Saturday afternoon; his fingers are tapping his mobile phone screen with a smile on his face. He is texting his girlfriend. It’s been a while since the last he saw her, Amber. They usually met in this coffee shop once or twice a month just to catch up and spend their time together since they are now in long distance relationship.


He took the last sip of his coffee and looking outside the through the window right beside him, the weather is nice today, just like his mood. The bell in the coffee shop's door chimes and he is now looking to his girlfriend who just walks in inside and towards him.


"Sorry for making you wait too long" said Amber, his girlfriend with a bright smile and sit in front of Tao immediately. 


"I texted you before and I said its fine you don't have to be in a rush, I know you took the first train first thing in the morning" said Tao also with a sincere smile.


Amber lives in different city with Tao, she is three years older than Tao and now in she is in 8th semester majoring English Literature. It took 2 hours to go to Tao's city by train. As for Tao, he is now in his 2nd semester majoring Economy, living in 2 beds apartment with his friend, Oh Sehun, who works part time at bubble tea shop near their campus.


Tao has been dating with his girlfriend, Amber, for so long (according to Tao) even Tao did not remember the exact date the first time they declare each other as a couple, because they are literally know each other for their entire life, yes, they are childhood friend. 


"That's fine, it is just simply because I miss you so much, Taozi. How's your study anyway?"  said Amber while taking her wallet out from her bag and ready to order something.


"Well, same old same old, we'll talk about it later but you, first thing first" said Tao while pointing at the counter and replying his girlfriend faster as he see his girlfriend standing up and ready to walk to the counter to order something.


"I'm so hungry right now, do you want to order something?" said Amber while looking at the table and found empty coffee mug. "…and since when do you drink a coffee?" Amber asked with teasing smile looking at Tao.


"Stop trying to tease me and order something will you?" said Tao while pouting his lips. 
They spend their half of day talking and eating dinner before saying goodbye in the train station. Tao put a peck on Amber's lips before saying goodbye. They might be a couple for a while now, but they had done nothing but kissing, not that Tao and Amber like to rush everything, but the thing is, deep down they knew that it is kinda awkward to do anything or even thinking anything ual towards your childhood friend. Tao knew that sooner or later he should do something further about it, well not that Amber forcing him to do it, it's just something that couple does, right?
 

----

 

Tao walking across the parking area in front of his apartment building that night, he’s looking up and staring at his living room window, there is a dim of light behind the curtain, he knows that his roommate, Sehun already inside.

He unlocked the door slowly and kicking his shoes arbitrarily once he is inside. Sehun watch his friend behavior and mutter like every day he does over, “I swear I feel like I am living with 5th grader, Tao! I told you before, put your shoes in the shoes rack, damn it, I’m tired telling you over and over, are you even listening?” said Sehun nagging while Tao walk passed him and taking-off his coat.

“Why should I put it neatly in the shoes rack if I’m going to use it again later? Stop nagging, Sehunna, look what I brought for you, Gimbap!!” said Tao with his big grin smile and put the food package on the table and sit there with his hand gesturing to Sehun to sit in front of him, and silently Sehun complies it. They have their own nicknames, even though Sehun is older, he does not mind for Tao to call him with the given cute nickname.

“How’s work Sehunna? Did you get a lot of tips today? I bet you spend your most of the time looking for that million-years- crush of yours, the beautiful guy” Tao said while both of his fists cupping his own face while gazing at Sehun narrowly.

“You are the one who just came back from a date, how was it? I wonder why your girlfriend still sticking with spoiled brat like you” said Sehun rolling his eyes.

“What a way to change the topic, you bastard!” said Tao giggling and continue talking “are you jealous? Since “this spoiled brat” has a girlfriend and you don’t?” Tao keep teasing on Sehun until the other finishes eating his dinner.

They met for the first time on the second day of college for Tao, while Sehun seeking for a roommate and put an announcement in the college bulletin board, and Tao walk passed by, Tao saw it, of course he can afford paying the rent by himself, but he is afraid of the idea of living alone, but not for Sehun, who recently has to struggle to his life because of the bankruptcy issue in his family business yet he cannot afford the apartment rental anymore, unlike Tao, money does not seem to be a problem to his family. Sehun is one year older than Tao, yet he looks and behaves like he is 10 years older around everyone around his age.

Both of them have a different personalities, while Tao is being spoiled, adorable and easy going with everyone, Sehun keep his thought for himself all the time, well except the one when he told Tao about the guy he saw in his work at the bubble tea shop that reminded him to a friend from his childhood and regret it till now because Tao keeps teasing him about it over and over again, so he think that it is best to keep all his thoughts only for himself. But he loves Tao no matter what; Tao makes his day easier with his adorable giggle, his silly spoiled act, and even his laziness. He treats Tao like his own brother even though he is not showing it up to Tao blatantly but Tao knows it better than anyone else.

“Wake up you lazy--brat or I’m going to leave you!” Sehun shout while knocking at Tao’s room door and heart the other mumble and trying to gather his soul back to his body. “Don’t leave me Sehunna, wait for me!” said Tao opening the door with his eyes half closed and grab the towel and heading to their bathroom.

They walk together to their university and waving each other a goodbye heading to their own class. Tao walk to the library since his class start at 10 AM and he has nothing to do for two hours, Tao is not a bookworm but he likes hanging around at the library just to listen to the music with his headphones and doing his homework rather than staying alone at the apartment.

The library look crowded today, he eyes is scanning for unoccupied chair and fixing the hat in his head to its proper place hiding his beautiful eyes into dark shade, heading to the corner and asking the one person who are sitting alone and busy reading his books, “Can I sit here? I promise I’ll be quite, pretty please?” said Tao unconsciously trying to be cute with a stranger, yeah he does that a lot. “Sure, pardon my pile of books” Said the stranger moving his chair farther to the left. “Are you doing your homework too?” said Tao curious with the stranger in front of him while opening his bag and sit. “I thought you said you will be quite 20 seconds ago” said the stranger sounds irritated. “I’m sorry, just trying to be nice here, don’t mind me now” Said Tao slightly offended. The stranger starts giggling and put his palm in his small mouth trying to reduce his sound “you are adorable, I’m just kidding by the way, the answer to your question, no, I’m just searching data for my thesis thingy, what about you? Are you a freshman? Btw my name Kris, nice to accidentally meeting you here” said the stranger offering his hand towards Tao and Tao replying the gesture right away “My name is Tao, nice to meet you, well I don’t want to disturb you, so just pretend I’m not here OK?” said Tao refusing the stranger named Kris to have a conversation with him just because he is now starting to do his homework, he is always like this, focusing on only for one duty one at a time, not a big fan of multitask.

 

----

 

2 Weeks has been passed, Amber texted Tao that she will come to his city tomorrow to visit him and also to meet her old friend back when she was studying abroad that currently stay in the same city with Tao. Tao is waiting for Sehun to return to their apartment after his tutoring job that Friday. He always thought that Sehun is a hard worker, although he gained enough money from the tutor to pay his apartment rental costs and his daily life and not to worry about his college tuition thanks to the scholarship he got, he just can’t sit steadily at the apartment doing nothing like a normal person do, there is no “lazy” word in Sehun’s life.

The key jingling outside the door, Tao turn his head toward the door and see Sehun coming inside with his tired yet still straight face. Tao smiling at him “Welcome back, Sehunna! Have you already eaten?” Sehun put his coat in the coat hanger in the corner of the room and looking at his roommate “Yeah, why do you ask?”  Tao grinning at him and now looking into his mobile phone screen “Just asking, you know I am always worried about you, all you do is working and studying, you are so skinny, and I don’t want to be one who has to take care of you if you get sick, anyway, I’m going to meet Amber tomorrow, do you want to request any specific food for your dinner?” Tao turning his head and his eyes following Sehun when he walking towards the couch and sitting next to him.

“No, you don’t have to bring me anything. What is your plan for Amber tomorrow?”

“I don’t know yet, she said that she wants to meet her old friend at the mall, maybe I’ll accompany her and playing around the mall too” Tao is now smiling while thinking that tomorrow he will eat ice cream and shopping for Gucci.

“Her old friend? Is it a guy?” Sehun asked curiously while picking a remote and turning on the telly.

“I think so, well of course he is. I don’t remember any girl friends that Amber hanging out with” said Tao paying attention to the television and put his mobile phones on the table.

“and… you are not jealous with the fact that she is surrounded by guys?”

The question makes Tao stop looking at the television and looking at Sehun instead, the question quite ridiculous according to Tao, but now he is asking the same question to himself, why I never get jealous with the fact that she hanging around with many guys, many hot guys as he recall.

“I trust her, Sehunna, she is not a cheater, and if she is, she would cheat behind me for a couple of time already” Said Tao while calming his voice down, he did not this kind of conversation, he did not like talking about his relationship at all and Sehun notice it, but he wants his roommate starting to determine his relationship with her girlfriend.

“so, you already told her that you love her yet or vice versa?” the question from Sehun’s mouth jabbed into Tao’s heart and he don’t know why and he keep on silent not answering the question instead he standing up and walk away from the couch going to his bedroom “I’m going to sleep now, I don’t want to be late tomorrow, good nite, Sehunna!” Sehun feel a little bit guilty for asking such a question to Tao, but Sehun did not want his roommate to suffer (not yet) with this undetermined relationship of his. Of course he supports Tao being with Amber, she is a great girl after all (they met a couple of times) but he can see that they are more like friends than a couple, there’s no romance at all. Tao should force himself to determine his role in his relationship, being a boyfriend, or simply a brother to Amber.

It is not like Tao never think about his relationship with Amber, of course he loves Amber (he thought) calming himself, does Amber loves him too? Gah, stupid question circling around his brain, of course she is, Tao assuring himself once again, why would she came to his city just to see him, and last meeting she even told him that she miss him so much; Tao nodded his head in silence keep reassuring himself. Although they have been together since diapers era, they never had an intimate situation, and they simply enjoy what they are now, without any declaration that stated they are in love with each other and be together as a couple. He did not like confrontation, not at all; he wants his live to simple, go with the flow, nice and easy. The last thought before Tao enters his dreamland.