The Truth

Love You Lately

Tao tapping his finger on the table, he has been for Sehun to come back to their apartment for a while. He sits on his couch with his notebook on his lap. Surfing for the internet, looking at the Gucci catalog. He never saw Sehun like that before, looking so vulnerable like today. Usually Sehun is the toughest guy he ever met, with his cold stare, didn’t talk much with other people, well of course he likes nagging at Tao a lot, but besides that, he prefer to keep his silence.

He doesn’t really have any close friends, only Tao that he prefers to be ‘treated’ as brother than just friend. He does not hanging out to enjoy his day a lot, everyday going through with the same activity, going to campus and working. Sometimes he doesn’t even care about his health, himself. He is too skinny, that’s why on Saturday Tao never forgot to buy him dinner so that he can eat.

Tao can hear the footsteps vaguely coming closer to their apartment door. He’s here. He thought. Putting his notebook on the table and turn his head to the door direction waiting for Sehun to open it. Sehun already knew that Tao will be waiting for him that night; he is always like that when he is curious about something. What should I say to him? The truth? And making him worried about me? Seeing me so vulnerable and broken inside? Nope.

“Have you eaten, Sehunna?” he asked me the first time my body pops out behind the door

“I haven’t , I bought us dinner” he walks slowly to the kitchen counter, opening the dinner very slowly, and sighed, not in the mood with heart-to-heart talking, but he should face this, or else Tao will never leave him alone. Tao walking towards him and standing beside him, helping him preparing their dinner to their living room table.

“Come on, let’s eat, Sehunna!”

Sehun nodded and follow him to the dinner table and sitting beside him. They eat in silent for a couple of minutes. “So, what’s with you with the guy this morning? He’s kinda cute though” Tao start talking and looking at Sehun closely while chewing his food

“Well, I thought I like him, long story short, I just realized that I don’t”

“That’s it??” Tao’s eyes widened didn’t believe what he just heard. He waits couple of hours for this?

“What do you want me to say, Tao?”

“The detail of course! I know you have been interested in him for a long time now, but why suddenly hate him?’

“It’s nice to see him in my bubble-tea shop every day, silently. Then last week we introduce ourselves because his forgot to take his car key, so we began to talk, and I realized that he is not my cup of tea kinda guy”

“Why? Because of his attitude?” Tao raised his eyebrows looking at Sehun seriously

“Yup” Sehun chew faster cleaning the last spoon of his food and gets up

“I think he likes you, Sehunna! He is shocked when you dragged me today”

“I don’t care” Sehun trying to answer coldly, yet he is trying to deny the happy feeling in his heart if the words that comes from Tao is true. He sighed a relief after lying to his roommate, it does not making him happy but he did it for the best, well, he thought. Tao is not really happy and satisfied with Sehun’s answer to his question. Yet he remained silent, he didn’t want to force someone and it is none of his business anyway. As long as the guy didn’t hurt Sehun, he will not going to interfere Sehun’s business.

 

----

 

Kris sitting on the library that Friday, he is so excited, because it’s been days since Tao forcing him to focus on his thesis, and didn’t want to meet him for a while. He misses him so much and thinks that he will hug Tao tightly when they met. Kris didn’t know when his feeling for Tao getting stronger and stronger, it’s more than interested, more than like, is it the one damned word that Kris didn’t dare to say it out loud? It’s been a while since he recognize this feeling, yet it is a little bit different from his past relationship, Tao didn’t have to do anything to make him happy, just seeing Tao smile makes him happy, and he believe that Tao feel the same way, Kris doesn’t have to buy him flower, or chocolate, or pricey things to make him happy. This “feeling” is simple.

Kris still has to figure something out, is Tao interested having a relationship with a guy? A guy like Kris? He really needs to make sure about that first until he finally decided to confess his feeling towards Tao. Tao is too naïve to understand that Kris is clearly like him more than friend. He texted Tao saying that he miss him every day, but the boy never return the text, maybe because he didn’t want to disturb me, or maybe he didn’t miss me? Kris decided to text Tao with different statement, testing for his curiosity about why the boy didn’t reply his text.

To: Taozi

[Hi, Taozi. What are you doing? Do you want to meet tomorrow?]

Kris sighed, waiting for Tao’s reply and put his mobile on the desk, letting his head rest on his arms.

His mobile vibrates; he immediately took it and staring at the screen

From: Taozi

[Have you made a good progress on your thesis, Ge? I don’t want to meet you if you didn’t do anything with your thesis these past days]

He chuckle about Tao’s attitude, so he did care about me. He starts typing to reply the text can’t help but smiling.

To: Taozi

[Yes, Mommy! I’ve done my homework, now please can I see you?]

Tao didn’t reply his text again, he sighed. Damn, this boy, he is surely the cutest boy he ever met and yet he is also the person who likes playing hard to get. Kris didn’t want to force him too, he really understand that Tao is kinda guy who will walk away from him if he forcing anything and makes him uncomfortable, and surely it will be his greatest lost and he didn’t want to risk that.

He spends two hours later doing his thesis, trying to focus even though thinking about Tao once in a while. It is lunch time and he packs his books and leaving the library, putting his books on the locker and then his phone ringing.  He saw Taozi’s name on the screen and smiling widely and just can’t stop smiling.

“Wei, Gege”

“Taozi, ahhh it’s good to hear your voice”

“I’m waiting for you below the tree near the basket ball court, and I have bought us lunch, are you hungry?”

“Damn, you are so unpredictable, Taozi! Yes I am hungry and I’ll eat you up”

“I saw you leaving the library just now and that’s why I called you because I know you already finish your study for today and I’m gonna give you a reward for that” Tao showing his big grin and then stop doing it immediately realizing that Kris cannot see him. Idiot. He thought

“That’s great! I’ll meet you there, you are such a good boy, Taozi” or such a great boyfriend, he may add in his thought. He walking fast, saying bye to his friends who are still chatting near the lockers and greet some students when he walks on the corridor. He saw the boy sitting under the tree, laying his back against the tree and playing with his phones. He yells his name and the boy smiling at him, waving his hand gesturing to come faster, Kris can’t help but running towards the boy since he didn’t want to miss any minutes to be spend with the boy that he really miss this couple days.

“Gege, do you like Bento?” Tao patting the place right next to him gesturing the older to sit there

“Of course, I’m not really picky when it comes to food” he sits right next to him, can’t help but to stare at the boy next to him closely, he really miss him, his smile, his nose, his dark circles under his eyes, his hair, yeah actually he miss everything about him.

Tao prepares the food like they are going on picnic or something and that makes Kris happier than ever. Tao putting the bento box on his lap, and he stare at the younger.

“What?” Tao looking back at him confusedly

“I thought you are going to feed me” Kris whispers with a tease in his voice

“Oh my God, how old are you, Ge?” Tao mumbles but obeys and starting to feed Kris, soon to realize that his cheeks is turning red.

“This is should be part of the reward! Hmph” Kris chewing happily and take a pinch at Tao’s red cheeks.

“Stop it, it hurts, Ge!” Tao slapping Kris shoulder and continue to feed him faster than ever and Kris having trouble to catch up with the chewing since there are lots of food that shoved in his mouth. Ugh when will this feeding time over, Tao’s thought. It is so embarrassing, what if people see us and think that we are a couple.

Kris choke on his food and starting to cough heavily, Tao shocked and giving him a bottle of water and patting on Kris’ back. “I’m so sorry,Ge! I didn’t mean to!”

“Oh, really? I thought you want me to die, Taozi”

“No, Ge! I’m sorry! I am thinking about something else while feeding you, sorry, Ge! Will you forgive me?”

“I wish I can get mad at you, Taozi, I’m just kidding, chill” Kris’ chuckled and Tao’s hair and continue to speak “What were you thinking about that it is so important than me!” Kris’ continue to tease Tao

 “Do you have a girlfriend, Ge?” Tao suddenly asked Kris and Kris looking at him, turning his face to serious look

“Do I look like I have a girlfriend, Taozi?”

“Then why don’t you have a girlfriend? You are handsome, smart, and lots of girls are chasing after you, you can pick them with your eyes closed” Tao explains, starting to eat his food and gazing at the basketball court, avoiding Kris’ eyes.

“And why do you care?” Kris asks and smiles genuinely, trying to lower the question tones, he really wants to know the answer. But Tao take the question as something to show the older discomfort.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t ask. It is none of my business”

“Stop saying sorry, Taozi. It’s not what I meant; I really want to know your answer, why do you care?” Kris continues Tao’s hair slowly, making the boy blush even more.

“I can’t find any reason why you don’t have a girlfriend, you have great qualities, and maybe I’ll be chasing over you too if I was a girl” Tao looking at Kris while talking through his last sentence, wanting to know the older reaction. And he didn’t know why, why would he say something like that, and why did he care about the older reaction.

Kris looking at him, thinking for the right answer, unconsciously stop Tao’s hair. He did not want to ruin this, this can be just some innocence question, or Tao really wants to know the answer because he likes him back? But the answer might be ruining their comfortable relationship.

“Please chase me, Taozi!” Kris decided to play along with his jokes, didn’t want to ruin anything and leads to his unpredicted confession that might lead to something worst. Kris is always like that. A thinker. He plans his to-do list carefully, thinking about the impact, the effect from all of his decisions in life. It makes him a little bit mature than others on the same age. He didn’t want to do something stupid and make him life living in misery, just like in his past for choosing the wrong person. Thankfully, Tao is smiling; I didn’t want to see his face upset because of my jokes that for certain didn’t answer his question.

“Really, Ge! You are not so picky when it comes to food, but as your partner in life, you are really picky? Just answer it!” Tao pull Kris’ teasingly that makes Kris chuckle

“No, seriously, I’m focusing on my thesis right now, and I sometimes went to my family company to check on the business, I am going to work there after I finished study. Maybe I don’t have time, and I’m just trying to find the perfect one, not the “perfect” as perfect literally, just perfectly suits me”

“and you never been in a relationship before?”

Kris suddenly avoiding Tao’s eyes and Tao knows that Kris is getting uncomfortable with his questions so he decided to clear the air “Let’s eat our lunch faster, Ge! My class is going to start in 15 minutes!” Tao shoving his food faster and see Kris turn his head around and start looking at Tao with his charming smile; it’s been a while, Tao talks to himself. It’s been a while since he sees Kris’ addicting smile. That smile.

“I’m going to shop for some clothes tomorrow; do you want to join me, Ge?” Tao clearing both of their lunch leftover and start walking to the trash bin.

Kris grinning widely the fact that he is going to meet Tao again tomorrow “Sure and maybe we can watch another horror movie?”

“Ah stop it, Ge! Once is enough!”

Kris chuckled and gets up from the floor, his arms intertwine on Tao’s shoulder and start walking to Tao’s classroom before they say goodbye to each other.

 

----

 

“Where are you going?” Luhan stares at Kris who is busy wandering around here and there that Saturday.

“Oh, hey. I’m going to the mall. How’s your thesis going?”

“Thanks for noticing, Kris. I’m doing fine, I need refreshing, and I nearly eat this pile of books and finish it already”

“Haha, funny, Lu. You want to come with me? But I’m going to pick up Tao first”

“Tao?” Luhan turn his head and looking at Kris confusedly

“Yeah, the guy I’ve been talking about these past few weeks”

“Ah, I would like to meet him!” Luhan excitedly gets up but then he sits again remembering that his thesis is almost finished for the next chapter and he should not procrastinate. “I’ll join you later”

“I’ll meet you there for lunch. I’m going to pick him now, and remember this, you should not bringing any topic about me liking him just, just, behave yourself, understand?” Kris warn him groggily

“Yes, Mister! Stop worrying about me, lips are sealed!” Luhan gesturing his hand zipping his mouth and smiling innocently on purpose.

Kris leaving his apartment went to his car and going to Tao’s apartment. It’s not really far from his place.  The rental rate of the apartments near the campus way cheaper than his. His apartment is bigger than Tao’s, and furnished by lots of minimalist furniture. Whilst Tao’s furnished by standard furniture and lack of lightning makes the atmosphere a little dim. Yet Tao still choosing living in that environment while Kris was sure that Tao is also comes from wealthy family too judging from his sense of fashion choice. Maybe because of his roommate, who are surely overprotective over Tao? Maybe he likes him? No. Stop talking nonsense. And then Kris thinking about the sentences Tao’s roommate said to him to stay away from Tao, or both of them will get hurt. Why is that? He thought.

He searches for empty the parking spot, suddenly hitting the brakes and turning his wheels towards the lobby. Tao is standing at his apartment lobby, since he is so excited for his shopping day with his Gege.

“How long have you been waiting, Taozi?” Kris tilts his head when Tao open his car door and slipped his body inside.

“10 minutes after you texted me that you already on your way”

“Ah, sorry”

“No need to be sorry, Ge! I’m so happy today!” Tao smiling widely makes Kris even happier “I told Amber on the phone last night that you are going to accompany me for shopping today”

“Ah, that’s why she text me earlier today”

“What did she say, Ge?”

“That I should take care her Taozi” Kris whispers while looking at Tao makes Tao blush not sure because of the statement comes from his mouth or because how Amber care about him.

“I want to introduce you to someone today” Tao looking at the road not moving his gaze for a second, who? Did he finally going to introduce me with his crush? Tao thought and didn’t want to question it out loud for Kris.

“Oh”

“Why do you stop being excited so sudden?” Kris Tao’s hair with his left hand

“I thought we are going together, just the two of us, Ge” Tao whining and makes Kris chuckle and really want to give him warm embrace and never let it go

“Don’t worry, he’ll just stopping by to meet you and have lunch with us, and I’ll shoo him after that”

“He?” Tao asking innocently

“Yeah? Did you just think that I want to introduce you to a girl?”

“Yes”

“Are you jealous, Taozi?” Kris’ smirk and looking at Tao

“NO!!” Tao immediately turn his head to face the car windows, avoiding Kris’ glare and hide blush on his cheeks

“Stop looking at me, Ge! Eyes on the road!” Tao getting annoyed by Kris’ intense stare. Kris chuckled, he could use his energy just to laugh like this for the rest of his life, living with this boy next to him, and he wouldn’t mind staring at him for hours, days, or even years and will never get bored with it, happiness is so simple with him.

They arrived at the mall 20 minutes later, entering some stores and Kris patiently sitting at the couch on each store provided, waiting for Tao to change and try all the clothes he decided to try. Their sense of fashion is not really far different, Kris likes semi formal clothes mostly with collars while Tao likes casual clothing better, and of course Tao likes black color he can see it from how he wears black, mostly every time they saw each other.

Tao finally decided to buy some clothes on their fifth stores that they entered, of course Kris helping him carry his shopping bags, he waits at the cashier counter, ready to pay, and Kris gesturing to stay there while he answer his ringing phone not so far from Tao “Just come to the 3rd floor, I can see the escalator from where I’m standing right now, Lu. Ok, I’ll be waiting here”

Kris walks back to Tao’s direction and Tao hears Kris’ words vaguely. His heart is pounding, he is nervous. What if he does not like his friend? What will happen if his friend doesn’t like me? He feels insecure suddenly looking at the escalator every second. Kris sitting on the couch, busying himself with his mobile phones, not knowing that Tao is being so nervous right now. Tao’s eyes widened when he saw a guy with red hoodie and black pants slowly appear on the escalator. Is that? Is that the guy that rejected by Sehun? OH MY GOD, I’m DOOMED! He talks to himself. Unconsciously moving here and there in panic and Kris notice that and tilt his head

“Tao? What’s wrong?”

The cashier is checking on his clothes with her hands and making sure if there’s any defects on the clothes. Tao grabbing the clothes on her hands, not thinking straightly and start walking to the change room.

“Uh, Sir?” The cashier

“I’ve changed my mind for this one; let me try this once again!” Tao running to the change room immediately, laying his back on the corner of the room. His heart pounding so hard like it is going to explode, DAMN YOU OH SEHUN! He thought. What should I do? What should I do? He whimpers and starts biting his index finger. He saw Kris’ shoes in front of the change room.

“Tao? Are you okay?”

WHAT SHOULD I DO!! He wants to scream and wants to punch Sehun’s face so hard right now, I save him and I’m the one who are in trouble now.

“Umh, yeah, Ge, just wait”

He can hear Kris footsteps fading away and greet his friend. OMG he is going to kill me, NO Kris will be angry with me, and YES I’m going to kill SEHUN for troubling me with this kind of situation. What are the odds that the guy he rejected before is Kris’ friend? Damn you damn you damn you SEHUNNA!!

“Where is he?” Luhan’s voice can be heard faintly from the change room

Tao thinking so hard, what is he going to do? He cannot avoid the boy forever in this room. He takes a deep breath and decided to open the change room, ruffles his hair randomly and putting all his bangs to cover his eyes, covering half of his face with the clothes he just bought and slowly walking towards Kris and his friend.

“Tao, what-“

“I love the smell!” Tao explains before Kris asking what the hell is he doing covering his mouth and acting crazy with all the hair masking his eyes; his face can barely seen as the result. Weird, Luhan thought. But still trying to smile and act like nothing’s wrong.

“You can smell it all you want at home” Kris grab the clothes and taking it to the cashier for packaging while Tao gasped realized that his face is now revealed and suddenly squatting on the floor acting to tying his shoelace. After he finishes acting, he heard Kris’ footsteps coming closer and he suddenly walking fast towards the cashier.

“I’m going to pay first” avoiding both Kris and his friend gaze

Why is he like this? Kris is confused. Luhan trying to act normal even though he thought Tao is weird and nothing adorable about his attitude, this is kind of adorable person Kris like? Geez, but in result Tao’s attitude making him more enthusiastically wants to see his face. He slowly walking with Kris together and they both stop behind Tao. He stand besides Tao and tilt his head ahead closer to Tao’s face without Tao even know it.

“HI!! My name is Luhan! Kris’ roommate!”

Tao who does not realizing Luhan’s existence next to him startled and turn his head and looking straight at Luhan’s direction. Luhan’s eye widened, isn’t he Sehun’s boyfriend?

“YOU!” Luhan pointing at him making Kris warding it and standing in front of Tao, protecting him

“What are you doing, Luhan!” Kris yells at him, while Tao shocked and keeps his silences and grabbing Kris’ back and hiding there.

“I know you!” Luhan shouted making Kris startled and turning his body around, looking at Tao a little bit flustered and turning back looking at Luhan again.

“What are you talking about? Do you guys know each other?”

Tao stepping aside Kris’ body and reveals himself completely, “Please, let me explain it, calm down, please” Tao taking out his credit card and finishing his payment process and dragging both of them outside the store since he didn’t want to cause any scene.

“What is going on with you two?” Kris asking patiently

“Hi, Luhan! Let me introduce myself, my name is Tao”

“I don’t want to know the details!” Luhan scoffed, the fact that the guy in front of him stealing his crush for how long already, feeling stupid looking at someone’s boyfriend at the bubble-tea shop and the fact that this guy is Kris biggest crush after a long time, sure Kris will be upset, and the worst, brokenheart.

“What is wrong with you, Lu!” Kris raising his voice, trying to calm down, he really didn’t understand what is going on between these two.

“No, you don’t wanna know, Kris. Let’s go” Luhan asking Kris to follow him but Kris just stood there, not moving, still processing all of the events.

I’m gonna regret this, either way I’m going to regret if I do this or not, I’m sorry Sehunna. Tao talks to himself and finally open his mouth “He is my roommate!” he shout loudly enough to make Luhan stop walking and turning his body and looking at Tao’s direction.