Watermelon

[Series] E.L.F. s Dream
PART 2
 
He got used to the life inside the forest quite fast. Walking into the wilderness in the morning helped him know his way in and out of it whenever he needs to. Though, he still hasn’t found anything that can lead into Leeteuk’s whereabouts. For the past few days he’s been with the cold girl yet he can say that he enjoyed his stay as if it was a vacation.
 
                But he was still curious about his housemate. She always disappears and will come home late. It’s not that he was nosy, but they’re living together so it’s natural to be concerned. After all the fuss they’ve been through when they first met each other, it worries him whenever she leaves the house.
 
                Seems like he needs to stay in this house for the rest of his stay in Jeju, he realized. At least here, no one would think of looking for him. Her aunt visited them yesterday, apologizing for not being able to help him find a place to stay. She even gave them kimchi than can last for two months.
 
                “Ahhh!” he stretched his sleeping muscles.
 
                “Kangin~ssi.”
 
                (Name)~ssi was walking down the path towards him.
 
                “I’ll go now.” She threw the house key to him. “Take good care of my baby, you understand?” and patted his back.
 
                She always acts tough, just like a gangster. But he doesn’t believe what she said. She looks too weak to be a part of the black market, as if he really knows anything about it. She waved without looking back at him.
 
                The moment he saw her turn to her right he ran inside the house and changed clothes. This time he will not let her escape without knowing what she’s been up to. It really stirs his curiosity. He started to follow her two nights ago but he always fail to follow her throughout.
 
                “You think you can fool me again? Not this time.”
~♥~
“He’s not answering his phone! Where did that man go?” Their manager asked loudly startling the other members who were gathered around the table for dinner.
 
                Another dinner shared by them, it was unfamiliar to most of them. This time, there were vacant seats, lots of leftover food
and a quiet atmosphere. The room felt strange with only a few of them around the dinner table.
 
                They still cannot believe that Kangin lied to them. Someone saw him in Jeju Island, though it was just a mere speculation, and told it to the whole world. Good thing they managed to halt the message from spreading by telling that it was just a rumor. They all really thought that it was until their manager hyung went to his home and found no Kangin there.
 
                “I’m done eating.” Heechul stood up first, leaving his unfinished plate and went straight inside his room.
 
                The others did the same, leaving Ryeowook and their manager alone. “Hyung, I think we should just let them do what they want…”
 
                “What are you saying?”
 
                He sighed. “Kangin hyung must be looking for Teuk hyung…the others were just as worried. Maybe it’s time we let them do what they want. After all of these, when everything’s back to normal…we won’t be able to do what we want anymore.”
~♥~
She’s fast, he observed. Many times he almost lost her but after following her for quite some time, he already got used to the streets of Jeju. Though not as complicated as Seoul’s, these streets can be quite confusing for strangers like him.
 
                His stomach growled making him realize that it was almost afternoon yet nothing seemed to be strange.
 
                “Shoobak,” a bulky man called from her right.
 
                Shoobak? Watermelon?
 
                His eyes observed the tall man. The man looks really ordinary if not for his knowledge about (Name)~ssi’s “secret”. Wearing a black winter jacket and a beanie, he attracted no attention from the by-passers.
“Salgu~nim(Apricot),” she said when the man stood beside her without looking.
Nobody would notice the exchange they made if you won’t look closer. He saw him slip a thick manila envelope inside her winter jacket’s pocket and swiftly left. She started to move.
 
                With one hand inside her pocket, she lifted the other which was holding a piece of paper. He bet it was an instruction from whoever she was working for. Foolish girl, how can she work like this without noticing if someone was following her? , he thought to himself.
 
                Walking past all those people before him if not for his height he won’t be able to see anything. “Oh, sorry.” He said after bumping to a woman.
 
                Looking before him, he realized that she was gone. “What? Where did she—”
 
                Another escape? Did he fail again? He smacked his head. How could he be so stupid? She would not be an accomplice if she’s not swift. He miscalculated her abilities again. Then there’s nothing he can do but retreat. For sure there will still be tomorrow.
 
                He turned and headed to go back home when he heard her voice.
 
                “Kamsahamnida…” she smiled at the little boy.
 
                She read the paper he handed her. Whatever that’s written there startled her, made her look around and met his gaze before four men grabbed her covering .
 
                “(Name)~ssi!!”
 
                He ran pushing past the crowd, trying to catch up.
 
                Is this how it is? What was that?
 
                His bruise was hit so many times as he tried to shove between people but he doesn’t mind anymore. Striking his
curiosity like that, what was she really up to? He doesn’t know what she’s doing, or know who she’s working for. But whatever it is, the event during their first meeting only proves how much danger she’s in.
 
                Inside his mind he had already kicked himself hard. Could it be that that man spotted him? Maybe he gave her away too easily. Maybe he made her visible to those people. If that’s so, he can never forgive himself if something bad happens to her.
 
                “Excuse me! Sorry!” He shouted back everytime he literally shoved someone just to make his way through the crowd.
 
                By the time he reached the main road where he saw those bad guys take her, they were already trying to push her inside the car but she was struggling.
 
                “Andwae! (Name)~ssi!” He pulled the first man he can ever grab and kicked him out of the way.
 
                He can even mistake himself as Superman at that time because of his strength. Adrenaline was pumping inside his system too fast he can’t even stop. Was it even true? Everything that’s happening around him seemed like a bad movie. Throwing punches like he won’t have another one makes him look like an insane person.
 
                “Kangin~ssi, let’s go, let’s go!” she pulled his free arm and ran when she heard the police sirens blaring.
 
                “Shoobak!”
 
                She turned her head in time to meet a gun pointing at them a few feet away. She closed her eyes and heard the gunshot echoed inside her ear. More gunshots followed to ring her consciousness. She was expecting herself to feel the pain anytime soon but didn’t feel anything.
 
                “Ugh…”
 
                She opened her eyes and saw Kangin crouching in front her, clutching his upper arm. Blood came flowing from his clasped hand turning on the alarm inside her.
 
                “(Name)~yah…run, run now! Leave me!”
 
                She was crying and shouting as the man tried to push her away, almost making her stumble. Gunshots, more gunshots. They were there, trying to kill her. They were going to kill him if she won’t drag him out of this hell.
 
                “Shoobak,” she heard that voice again. “Shoobak…”
 
                “Miss, let’s go to the hospital.”
 
                Her mind went back to reality; Kangin was still there, his wounds mended by the paramedics. She blinked once, then
twice. Her knees were shaking as those awful memories came haunting her again. No…this is reality…
 
                Kangin looked at her. “I can’t go to the hospital.” A statement only the two of them can decipher. His eyes were filled with questions yet to be said. “I can cure myself.”
 
                The paramedics looked worried by his sudden words maybe not even trusting his claim that he can cure himself.
                “I already went to the army; I know how to mend my wounds.” His words were dignified and confident as he stood up to thank those who helped him. He bowed graciously and took her hand.
 
                She looked at their clasped hands; blood was still inside his big ones, warm…
 
                “Let’s go home…”
 
                She nodded and looked back. Her knees still shaking as she saw those bodies lying in the middle of the streets. Ah, she was one lucky fellow. People were looking at them. The police asked questions but they left without answers and just passed through the crowd of people that started to gather around the scene.
~♥~
­­­­­A slap connected to her cheek, it was so hard it made her fall down on   her knees. His eyes looked at her in an accusing way she couldn’t bear to look back.
 
                 “Is it true? You’ve done a mess this time Shoobak,” he lifted her face and made her look at him. “You’ve disappointed me.” He blew another cloud of smoke before her.
He sighed and brushed his fingers through his thinning hair. “And who’s that rat who kept following you? How can you be so careless about that?”
 
                 “He’s not a rat…He’s…That’s my…” she wanted to defend him.
                
                 She kept on remembering his face. Who is he anyway? He’s nothing but a mere stranger who invaded her life like a storm hitting the sea. He’s an idol, a singer from the city. She dreamed of him…idolize him. But who is he in her life now? “He’s my boyfriend…” she lied through her nose. But she was good at it as she’s good in breathing.
 
                 “Namja chinggu? Ha!” a sinister laugh filled the room as the man they called “The Boss” pushed her away. “You even have the time to linger around now? Tie your boyfriend at home. Your stupidity cost me a lot of money to clean up this mess.”
 
                 “Chesonghamnida…”
 
                 “Go.” He walked back behind his desk as she stood up. He watched her every move through his observant eyes. “Don’t think of going against me. If you need money, ask me, don’t bite me. Or,” he lifted his gun and pointed it at her.
 
                 Kill me…
 
                 He wouldn’t take back his words. No…you will never kill me.  She bowed and headed for the door where a man so familiar stood and held it open for her. A smirk appeared on his handsome face. Devil…
 
                 “Ah…Shoobak…” he clacked his tongue. “(Name)~yah…you’re really stupid.” He whispered.
 
                 She gritted her teeth as she stand in front of him. It was hard to spill the beans, to hide the competition between the two of them. She cannot even say that he was the one who was trying to kill her to their “Boss”.
 
                 “You planned everything really well.”
 
                 He smirked. “You have no proof.”
 
                 She punched the wall beside his face and almost winced when she felt the blood starting to flow down from her knuckles. The man gave her another smirk and remained unmoved. She gave him a glare before going out of the door.
 
                 “Nice punch. You’re getting stronger everyday.” He closed the door behind her.
 
                 She can still see that angelic face…if he told her she was an angel she would’ve believed him. He was a devil hiding inside that face. He’s a masked person who has convinced everyone around him. If only she was a rank higher, she would’ve killed that man.
 
                 She’s going to get the proof he wanted and slap it to his face.
~♥~
Silence filled the air as they sat face to face,eating the dinner he prepared while she was away. Ah, how can she be so dangerous? He still couldn’t believe it when someone fetched her a few hours ago.  They all looked so simple. If not for those eyes that looked at him as if they would kill him, he wouldn’t know.
               
                 She ate continuously as if she hasn’t eaten for a year. Now she looks so scary to him. She wasn’t an angel anymore.
 
                “Ah, (name)~ssi…”
 
                She lifted her face and looked at him like she normally does. “Wae?”
 
                “Why do you work for them? What are you doing?”
 
                She wiped her lips with the back of her hand. She really has no grace, he thought. But that’s her charm isn’t it?
 
                “I deliver things. Do I have to say?”
 
                Her eyes were fierce even when she’s calm. Just like a cat. She’s observing his every move, if he’s recording anything. He thinks she knows everything right now. “Why?”
 
                “Why? Simple…” she stood up and lifted her plate, taking it to the sink.
 
                She looked back at him and smiled. “I work for my father.”
 
Originally posted on my blog...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011