Two : School

Switch

 

He had stupidly mistaken the schedule.

“I’m soo sorry, Mrs. Yoo...” He said apologetically. “I already gave you such trouble in my first day...” Well, Daehyun thought that the new semester will be starting next week when it actually starts today. That’s why instead of going to his new  house they were now rushing in the middle of Seoul’s traffic. He had hastily put on his new uniform and shoved just anything into the backpack that Mrs. Yoo gave him.

“Don’t sweat it, I’m pretty much free anyway.” The woman gave him a reassuring smile. She was a laid back figure –as Daehyun briefly observed— She dressed in jeans and loose sweater which is very different with her mother floral-patterned dresses. “And you can call me umma actually, OR if you didn’t really feel like it then...aunty, you can call me aunty.”

“Nee, aunty...” It still felt somewhat strange, but Daehun was trying.

A few block later, the car came into a halt in front of a set of building with a huge yard. Daehyun jawdropped at the sight.

“Luxurious isn’t it?”

“It is...”

“Now, go! Go and have fun while I put your belonging in the house!”

“Yes....”

Daehyun got out of the car, his heart rummaging his ribcage. He’s getting excited by the sight of his dream slowly coming true. And he let his eyes trailed longingly into every corner for a while before stepping into the school with a light heart.

 

***

 

”So, Daehyun. This is Kim Himchan.

And Himchan, this in Jung Daehyun the new transfer student.”

After Daehyun finished all the paperwork, he was being introduced to a student council member. The boy was tall and slender, with milky-white skin, and a face which guaranteed his popularity. His uniform was identical to his own with an exception of a small embroided star in his right collar. A student council attribute? Daehyun thought. He was supposed to be the one giving him his small school orientation.

“Hi, nice to meet you!” Himchan held out his hand and shake it formally. His pearly white teeth showing as he smiled.

“Nice to meet you, too.” Daehyun replied with an equal grin.

When the principal was finally gone, Himchan swung his arm casually onto Daehyun’s shoulder. “Let’s drop all the formality, shall we?”

The black-haired man grinned even wider and Daehyun instantly liked the guy.

 

***

 

“So, you’re from Busan?”

“Nee, hyung...”

Himchan had showed him pretty much all he needed to know about the school; the cafetaria, the practice room, gym, etc. Now they were making their way into Daehyun’s classroom, dodging people in the crowded hallway. In their small journey, Daehyun had learnt that Himchan is a junior student, a year older than him. He’s the vice president of the student council and a traditional music enthusiast.

“I already told you to drop the honorific!” Himchan playfully smacked his head. Daehyun smiled sheepishly, glad that he already made a friend in his first day of school. “By the way, your hair....”

Daehyun suddenly became concious of his silver hair. He had meant to re-dye his hair the moment he arrived, but the circumstances turned out to be quite tough. “Why, hyung? Is it too much?” Eventhough having coloured hair wasn’t against the school regulation—no matter how bizarre the colour is apparently— but Daehyun couldn’t helped  feeling like a sore thumb.

“Nah! You actually look good with that. I can wager on your popularity right away, girls are already checking on you...” Himchan was right, here and there girls were already giggling in groups, stealing glances at him. It made him uncomfortable though, he wasn’t used to be the center of attention. “I bet the school prince is nervous now....”

Daehyun looked at him questioningly, “You?”

Himchan laughed, sincerely amused. “Me? I’m flattered Daehyun-ah...but in terms of popularity I’m just around fourth –or fifth that now you’re here.”

“Ahh....” Daehyun wasn’t one for popularity or school hierarchy, he even felt a bit shocked by the fact that things like popularity actually matters here. “I though it only happens in dramas, you know? This kind of thing.” He honestly blurted out.

“An innocent mind, I see....”

“So,” Daehyun coughed. “Who’s this school prince by the way?”

“Wel....” Himchan trailed off, “You’ll see him soon enough, but I’m still curious about one thing though...”

“What?”

“Are you a warrior?”

“WHAT??” Daehyun was taken aback, what would gave Himchan the idea that he’s some sort of a badass superhero. His silver hair?

“Woaa, easy dude... It’s just your backpack....”

Daehyun looked at his bag, it was just a simple black backpack though....

“The Matoki dude, the little bunny head...” Daehyun looked at his bag more closely. Sure, there’s this embroidedy in the shape of a strange bunny head...but, so what?

“Matoki is the icon of B.A.P, a hip-hop boyband... their male fans are being called Warrior and I thought you were one...” Himchan explained as confusion visible in Daehyun’s eyes.

“Ahh....I don’t know, never heard of them. This backpack was given by my aunt and I kinda accept it in a rush...”  

Himchan chuckled. “Well, they’re more popular with the gi—

AH-HA! Speak of the devil!”

Daehyun followed Himchan’s gaze and suddenly met with a pair of black, judging eyes.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Huft, I don't even know why I'm starting this in the first place.....