Four: Deal

Switch

 

They just stood there motionless. Both face stricken with horror.

What the hell is this.

Daehyun took another look at the boy in front of him. It was definitely the Youngjae he met at school today, but at the same time, it was a completely different person. While the Youngjae he barely knew from others’ tittle-tattle was supposed to be cold, composed, and perfectionist in any way possible, the boy in front of him was just... sloppy. Disheveled. Untidy. Unorganized.

Maybe they were just some kind of doppelganger?

“Yah, did you know each other?” Mrs. Yoo asked, looking back and forth between the two frozen boy.

“We met at sc—“

“I don’t kn—“

They exchanged look. Something in Youngjae’s eyes told him to shut his mouth. “We haven’t officially meet.” Daehyun finally said, flashing his bright smile at Mrs. Yoo. “I just saw a glimpse of him at school today, but maybe I was mistaken.”

Mrs. Yoo muttered a long ‘ooh’ and before she can say anything else, Youngjae had quickly backed off in to his room and slammed the door in the process.

“YAH! YOO YOUNGJAE!”

*****
 

His first dinner with the Yoo family was a pleasant one. Mr. Yoo is a very calm and kind man, the opposite of the lively lady Mrs. Yoo. Their son, Youngjae, was also present, eventhough he barely talked. He just sat there and eat his meal in complete silence. Mr and Mrs. Yoo were too occupied by Daehyun to actually care. After he finished his meal, and helped with the dishes, he excused himself to his room to unpack.

He sighed contently when he finally finished organizing everything. It took him a few good hours, but now the room had been more like his own with a few personal touch here and there. He was about to collapse on his bed when he heard a slight knock. Youngjae was standing by his doorstep, staring at him with an unreadable expression.

“What is it?” Daehyun sat in his bed. Motioning the other to come in.

“Let’s make a deal.” His tone was firm. His gaze piercing Daehyun’s.

Daehyun raised an eyebrow. “A deal?”

“A deal.”

“And what kind of a deal it might be?” Daehyun honestly wasn’t interested, he didn’t have any problem with the boy to actually care about something like that.

“You’ll keep this a secret.”

“This? What’s ‘this’?” It still didn’t give Daehyun much enlightment and Youngjae growled in frustation.

“All the things you saw today, and things that you’ll see in the future. Just keep whatever you see in the house a secret to the rest of the school. What happen in the house remain in the house, and vice versa.”

Daehyun mouth turned into an O, and he nodded. So, apparently this side of Youngjae – the screaming fanboy next door, was a secret to everyone else. The realization seeped slowly into his system. Did he just get a hold of  Youngjae’s wild card or what? He abruptly shakes his head, what was he thinking anyway. He had to reminded himself that he wasn’t that low. “And the other side of the deal, what’s that?”

“The privilege to be my friend.”

He wasn’t joking. Youngjae was damn serious.

“What?” Daehyun couldn’t contain his laughter, what the hell is wrong with the kid.

“Yah! I’m serious.” He pouted, his arms crossing his chest. “I can be quite difficult you know, you wouldn’t want to be my enemy in my own house!”

Daehyun collected back his composure and for the first time regarded the boy seriously. “Okay, okay. I’ll keep it a secret. You don’t need to worry about it.” He wasn’t really interested in it anyway.

“Good then.” For the first time, Youngjae gave him a wide grin. It was pretty cute, Daehyun definitely liked this Youngjae better than the earlier sulky version of his. “Oh, and I also lend you that backpack. Just don’t ever, I said EVER, get it dirty or I’ll sue you. That’s my precious BAP backpack!”

A slight smile made its way accross Daehyun’s face as Youngjae darted off the room.

That kid is interesting

*****

 

The next morning, Daehyun found Youngjae to be  the one waking him up. They greeted each other and even had a small talk about school while having breakfast. It’s look like Youngjae was sticking up to his promise to befriend Daehyun. Well, it’s a nice change. And Mrs. Yoo seemed to be pleased by it.

It’s strange how Daehyun didn’t remember Youngjae at all. Well, they were supposed to be soo close back then and it will be normal for Daehyun to at least remember something –anything— about the boy. But no, it’s like a first time all over again. No matter how hard he tried, the image of Youngjae as a child wasn’t forming in his head. And Youngjae hadn’t brought anything up about it either. Did they hit their heads while playing, or what?

“Both of you, take care!”

Daehyun bowed as he and Youngjae exited the house.  Waving Mrs. Yoo goodbye.

“So, remember our deal?” He turned his head to Youngjae. He was dressed neatly, his big glasses and apple hairstyle long gone, but he’s still not the cold ice-prince Youngjae. Daehyun scrunched his face at the thought. What’s missing?

“Yah! Do you get it?”

“O-oh. I get it. I won’t tell anyone. I’ll act like I don’t personally know you.”

“Good.” Youngjae made a ‘go ahead’ gesture to Daehyun. “Now just walked ahead of me. It will be strange if people caught us walking together.”

Daehyun obeyed and walked pass the younger boy. When he turned his head to take a last look, Youngjae was shutting his eyes and muttering something under his breath.

That kid indeed is strange.

****

 

School was fun. Everything went fairly well today. He can easily follow the lesson –he’s not number one in his old school for nothing— and the teachers praised him while the other students looked at him in an awe. Well, except Youngjae of course, who was apparently the smartest in his grade –and still smarter than him. And just too cool to ing care.

“I don’t know you’re good with studying.” One of his friend, JR, . It was lunch break and some people were already surrounding him. “I thought you’re some kind of a deliquent with that hairs of yours.”

Everyone chuckled at the remark, and Daehyun laugh along. “It was nothing.”

“Nee, who do you think is smarter between you and Youngjae?” A girl asked curiously, and the others gave him an expectant look. Daehyun took a glance at the uninterested black-haired boy, and answered nonchalantly.

“It’s maybe Youngjae, I mean he perfectly got that question that I don’t even understand.”

Everyone nodded, acknowledging the fact. “But you got more point in the socializing aspect, so the battle wasn’t over yet!”

Daehyun just laughed while the others excitedly nodded along and busily conversing about the popularity thing that Daehyun just didn’t even care. The only thing he really wanted to know was how in the hell Youngjae suddenly got that ice-prince persona again. The moment he stepped in to the class, about 10 minutes after Daehyun, he suddenly became someone that was just too foreign.

Feeling a bit suffocated by all the attention, Daehyun excused himself to the restroom. When he walked through the hall, he can hear whispers following his every step. He sighed, he wasn’t really enjoying all the attention he got.

He spent a good ten minutes inside the stall just to get some time alone. When he finally out, he was surprised to see Youngjae staring back at him from the mirror.

“Hey!” Much to his surprise, Youngjae greeted him. “We’re all alone.” He explained as he saw the questioning look on Daehyun’s face.

“Ohh...” Daehyun moved beside him to wash his hand.

“A bit stressed out by all the attention?”

Daehyun sighed for only-God-knows how many times, “Well, I like making friends but it’s still too much.”

Youngjae gave him a hearty laugh, this kid just can soo easily changed his personality it’s kind of scary. “Don’t worry, give it a week and they’ll leave you alone.”

Daehyun just shrugged his shoulder nonchalantly.

“Hey, tell me....” Daehyun was now staring at the younger eyes, asking for his full attention. “Why did you bother to put up with all of this persona? I mean, you just can be yourself. I bet it won’t be that bad...”

Youngjae was just staring back at him with his blank face for a moment, then leisurely walked away. “You just don’t understand...” He said as he shut the restroom door.

****

 

“Jung Daehyun!!”

Daehyun turned his head to the source and found Himchan waving at him from the distant signalling him to come over. He jogged a little as he approach the smiling boy and bowed.

“Yah, stop being so formal!” Himchan playfully smacked his shoulder. “So, how’s school so far?”

“It was fun, Hyung!” He looked up and realized that Himchan wasn’t alone. A tough and serious-looking boy was standing besides him, too occupied by a stack of paper in his hand that he wasn’t paying any attention to Daehyun.

“Yah! Gukkie! You’re being rude” Himchan tugged the other’s sleeve and sending him death glares. He looked a little confused at a moment before realising that there’s someone else standing in front of them.

“Ah, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. I’m Bang Yongguk by the way.” Yongguk extended his hand and gave Daehyun his wide gummy smile. All the scary impression before instantly vanished into thin air.

“I’m Jung Daehyun.”

“So, you’ve met my husband Yongguk,” Himchan casually claimed, ignoring Yongguk’s glare. “And I want to meet you becouse we’re currently looking for a son.”

Daehyun was taken aback by the statement. Eh?

“Let me explain it to you in a normal way,” Yongguk stressed the word ‘normal’ and Himchan scoffed. “So the thing is, I’m the student council president, and Himchan is the second in charge. We’re currently looking for a secretary and a treasurer and we hoped that you wanted to be either one.”

“Me? But I’m new here. Don’t you have anyone else?” In actuality, Daehyun also disliked that kind of job.

“Well, we’re trying to get Yoo Youngjae from your class but it seems like he wasn’t really interested. So we hoped that you’ll take the offer. And Himchan here do have a strange criteria for the position; he only wanted people who he claimed to be ‘the best five’”

“Yah! It’s important to have the best people in the student council.”

Yongguk rolled his eyes and gave Himchan a sneer. The pair is interesting. Why did Daehyun keep meeting interesting people lately?

“I need to give it a thought first, Hyung. I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

He politely bowed and excused himself. Maybe he need to asked Youngjae later.

****

 

Back at home, Daehyun found the other version of Youngjae sprawled in his bedroom floor. Giggling like a schoolgirl in front of his laptop. His big glasses, sweatpants, and apple hair making its comeback. His attention was directed to whatever was in the screen, completely unaware of the intruder that had just come.

Daehyun took a moment to observe the other’s room. It was fairly the same with his own, only a bit darker because of the sealed curtain. The white wall however, was full of posters. What appeared to be six masked men were posing in front of the camera in an all-black attire. A stack of album and magazines were neatly in display. Overall, the room just screamed FANBOY.

Daehyun coughed to get his attention, but Youngjae stayed idle – peacefully drowned in his own world.

“Youngjae.”

There was no response.

Daehyun came closer to the boy and whispered right into his ear. “Yoo Youngjae~”

The other jerked and accidentally hit Daehyun’s jaw. “YAH! YOU SURPRISED ME!”

Daehyun rubbed his aching jaw and looked at the bewildered boy. “AISH! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING! CAN’T YOU ING KNOCK!”

Before he could react to anything, Youngjae already wrestled his body in the floor. He tried to fight back to no avail. Somehow, he’s actually stonger than Daehyun. “YOU COULD GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK, GEZZ!”

“Yah, stop it.” Youngjae was now on top of him, sitting in his thigh, tickling his sides. “Yah, hahahha, it’s tick-ticklish, hahaha, s-top it! Yah!”

“Take it like a man!”

“YAH! Stop it already!”

“Are you sorry??”

“I’M SORRY, STOP IT, I’M SORRY!”

Youngjae stopped and smirked at him in triumph. Daehyun’s sides hurt because of too much laughter. He was panting hard, and his face beet red. Whoever walked in to the room right now might just get the very very wrong idea.

But Youngjae didn’t seem to care, he still sat there comfortably like there’s nothing wrong.

“Yah, get off already....you’re heavy...”

“I kindly refuse” He stuck his tongue, then crossed his arm. This kid is stubborn. “What were you doing in my room anyway? No one enter my room without my consent.”

Daehyun sighed, what was he want to ask, eh? Ah. The student council.

“Did you really turn down the student council offer?”

“I did.”

“Wae?”

“Just didn’t feel like it.”

Daehyun raised his eyebrow, for someone who cared soo much about populatiry it was just unlikely. “You can get even more popular.”

Youngjae shook his head. “Too much trouble, I can’t afford losing any more fanboying time than necessary.”

Daehyun rolled his eyes, the fanboying things apparently were that important. “But you’ll lose to me. If I actually take their offer then I’ll be more popular than you in no time.”

Youngjae stared down at him, struggling with something in his head. He was weighing all the possibilities. But in the end, he apparently didn’t really care. “You won’t, you don’t like it. And you don’t like to be popular. AND you’re too kind to do that to me!”

The smile that the younger gave him was too bright, too cute, and annoying enough to made him shift and  throw the younger off of himself in the process. “Dream on!"

Well, but Youngjae was right though.

 

___________________________________________________________________-

 

 

 

 

I spent hours to actually find an end to this chapter, and still stuck. I hope it wasn't THAT weird.

I'm just hopeless.....hahaha

And wow, 26 subsribers already. I don't even think that this story is interesting, haha

It turned abit weirder than what I expected :-P

 

By the way, enjoy!

I hope you all like it ^^