Twelve: Stubborn

Switch

 

 

Monday came in a blink of an eye, much to Daehyun’s detest. Monday means school, and school means confronting Himchan –which Daehyun tried not to do so. The remaining weekend the vice president had bombarded him with a thousand messages demanding an explanation, and Daehyun dreaded every single one of it. He dismissed it by saying that he’ll tell Himchan directly at school, but truth to be told, he didn’t know what exactly he should tell the ulzzang.

He couldn’t say the truth –Youngjae would kill him. However, he had the feeling that Himchan wouldn’t be satisfied with the typical answer like ‘We’re hanging out together as friend!’, it will just lead into many unanswered questions like ‘Why don’t you act like one at school?’, ‘How do you get that close?’ bla bla bla and it will soon come back to the fact that they indeed live together. Ouch.

Just why his life couldn’t be simpler?

“You look like someone going into his execution...” Youngjae casually said as he waited for Daehyun to put on his shoes, if only this kid knows...

“Funny, and who do you think at fault here?” Daehyun sarcastically replied, before getting up and walked out the door. Youngjae trailing behind.

“Who? I’m pretty innocent...” He wanted nothing but to poke the doe eyes staring at him, trying to be all cute and gullible. Come to think of it, everything’s a mess because of Youngjae. It would be simpler if Youngjae just stopped hiding in the shadow and came out as he is.

“Let me tell Himchan-hyung that I live in your house, please?” Daehyun pleaded.

“No.”

“I’ll treat you to an ice cream?”

“No.”

“Another karaoke session?”

“No.”

“I’ll buy that BAP’s T-shirt you wanted so bad!”

“Hmm.....still no.”

Daehyun facepalmed. Just why is this kid so stubborn? “Then what should I tell him?”

Youngjae looked at him as if he just uttered the dumbest question ever invented. “Just tell him we’re friends! We’re classmates, it’s nothing strange to hang out together like that...”

‘And who insisted on faking it ealier, huh?’

If it’s not Youngjae then the explanation will actually make sense. It’s pretty normal for friends to go together like that. And they’re both guys. But Youngjae is Youngjae. The pretty damn cold city boy who refused to befriend anyone and anything. So any normal condition would appear suspicious if it’s with him. Look at how everyone looked at him when he walk together to school with Youngjae! Just what kind of relationship that everyone think they have? “You’re a bipolar...” Daehyun silently grumbled. Really, dealing with Yoo Youngjae is a pain in the .

And it was worse that he can’t win any argument, not even once.

*****

 

Himchan crossed his arms and tapped his finger impatiently. He had been waiting for Daehyun since early in the morning, purposely standing near the younger’s locker. His weekend was a bundle of curiosity and inquisitiveness. He wanted to confront Daehyun as soon as possible, get the answer straight from the boy, and then win the bet. He already had the list of things that he wanted to buy—with Yongguk’s money.

It’s already five minutes before the bell rings. Daehyun usually comes early. Come to think of it? Youngjae had passed the hallway a while ago, and they usually went to school together. Aish, that kid! Himchan straightened himself and skidded to his dongsaeng’s classroom, all the while muttering curses at his own stupidity. He really should’ve known.

“Where’s Daehyun?” He asked the first kid that he met at the door. The boy looked quizzically at him before shaking his head.

“He isn’t here yet...”

“Really?” Himchan looked past the confused kid, Daehyun’s desk still vacant. Where’s the kid hiding? He averted his gaze to Youngjae, who was looking at him, and smiled a polite grin. Maybe he could ask Youngjae—

The bell suddenly rang, and people in the hallway rushed towards their respective class. He didn’t want to get scolded for being late, so with a grunt he ran to his own, delaying whatever business he had with his LOVELY dongsaeng.

‘Well, you can’t run away forever, Jung Daehyun’

*****

 

“Gotcha!”

His eyes widened in horror as he saw Himchan’s hand on his desk. The lunch bell had just rang, like, a second ago, and only God knows how Himchan is already here. “Hi.... hyung.” Daehyun tried his best to smile, but it came out as a grimace.

“Well, my dear dongsaeng. I think it’s about time...” Himchan’s smile was dazzling, ready to melt every fangirl’s heart, but to Daehyun it’s just pure horror. “Let’s go meet Yongguk and have a talk, shall we?” Daehyun gulped down nervously as the older held him by his collar and dragged him to the student council’s room, not even minding the weird stares they got. He was glad at least he had the time to grab his precious lunchbox. If he was to be slain, at least he dies with a full stomach. When they got to the room, Yongguk was already inside. Sitting in his chair looking rather bemused.

“Sit.”

Daehyun did as instructed. There’s no point in resisting. Let’s just get it done quickly so he can eat his lunch peacefully.

“So,” Himchan stared right through his eyes. “what’s your relationship with Yoo Youngjae?”

To the point. Nice.

“We’re friends.”

Himchan wasn’t satisfied, of course. “Don’t lie to me Jung Daehyun, don’t you dare to lie...” The look that he gave was intimidating, and the way he stood, both hands on the table, his upper body slightly leaning close to him, reminded Daehyun of a detective. And he’s the poor suspect trying to lie his way out of the case.

Keep calm Daehyun, you can win this battle. “I’m not lying, hyung. We’re friends.”

Himchan raised an eyebrow. “Then, why do you purposely lie to the karaoke worker, and tell him that we will join both of you....”

“Well, so I can get a discount. The merrier, the cheaper.” Smooth, Dahyun.

“I don’t know there’s something like that?”

Shoot.

“It’s... It’s a new regulation. Minhyun works there and he told me that.”

He knew that Himchan didn’t buy his lie, but he had no way of proving otherwise. “Then, if you’re friends, why don’t you talk to each other at school?”

“We talk to each other.” A little.

“No, you don’t.”

“How would you know?”

For once, Himchan was perplexed. Yeah, how would he knew about that? “I heard rumours.”

“Then the rumours were wrong.”

Daehyun smiled. Himchan gritted his perfect white teeth in annoyance.

”Don’t be stubborn Daehyun,” Well, for the record, he had to. “just say the truth. You’re more than just friends...”

“What do you mean, hyung? That we’re bestfriends?”

Himchan rolled his eyes.

“You. Two. Are. Dating.”

Daehyun wanted to laugh out loud. Dating? The hell with that? “Don’t be ridiculous, hyung-ah...” Seriously, people should stop having this weird idea about him and Youngjae.

“Well,” Himchan started. “You two behave like sworn enemies at school. Then you hang out together, just the two of you, outside. Going on dates to the mall, and karaoke, and act like a lovesick couple. That’s pretty suspicious Daehyun..... You’re secretly dating Youngjae, right?”

First, he hadn’t been to the mall with Youngjae. Well, at least Himchan shouldn’t have known.

Second, he didn’t act like a freaking lovebird with Youngjae. Pftt.

Third, the whole idea is ridiculous.

“Then, if that makes me a couple with Youngjae, what that makes you and Yongguk-hyung?”

Himchan stared dumbfoundedly at him. Yongguk, for once, stopped grinning.

“If going out together, and once, makes me and Youngjae a couple. Then, you and Yongguk-hyung who practically together all the time should actually be a married couple already.”

“Wh—WHAT?!”

“Are you two a married couple?” Daehyun calmly asked.

“Of course not!”

“Then, we’re not dating. We’re just friends. Case closed.”

Daehyun smirked, grabbed his lunchbox, and exited the room. Leaving the still fuming and speechless Himchan.

First round, Himchan (0) : Daehyun (1)

“JUNG DAEHYUN YOU BASTARD!!!”

He bursted out laughing at that, celebrating his first ever win.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

I know this is short. And stupid. And crappy.

Hell, what did I just write? Please excuse me as I sulk in a corner...

I promise the next chapter will be better....

So for now, just please bear with it >__________<