Eight: The Sailing Ship

Switch

 

Junhong held his digital camera close to his chest, his face widen from excitement. His gaze trailed the two figures walking side by side hungrily, his curly ramen hair bobbling as he quicken his pace. He carefully kept his distance from the chatting boys, concealing himself with the little protection the trees  gave him. Hiding was never been easy, thanks to his freaking height.

It was just a mere coincidence when he spotted the ‘hot couple’ at the park earlier. It was the shortcut to the arcade, and he had been too lazy to walk. He actually thought that Daehyun was just another street performer –just like him with his dancing— and was about to approach him when he saw Youngjae standing in an awe watching the other serenading the song. His paparazzi instinct quickly took over, and before he knew it he already had his camera in hand, a wide grin in his face.

Even the twilight sky was an extreme beauty today, and the pictures came out like a drama shot.

The ladyluck is currently rooting on him from above.

It’s not like he personally ship the couple or anything –eventhough they’re suspicious as hell—it’s just that they were his main source of income these days. Yeah, he’s the school paparazzi; and his prey were the popular guys. He would provide high quality shots of the hotshots and someone would actually buy it for real. And what provided even better money? THIS.

Just took a picture of them doing absolutely nothing important, let the mass stirred a few rumour, let the fangirls’ imagination run wild, and he’s rich! (Well, no, it’s just that he got to eat something better than instant ramen). Well, when the girls started to get tired with blurry phone-taken photos, then at least his digital camera gave a better image.

And what’s better was the fact that he didn’t need to reveal himself. He could still be this unknown freshman that no one took the interest in.

God bless the one who invented internet and online payment.

When the couple suddenly stopped, he quickly brought the camera to his face, aiming at the perfect moments. He eagerly the button as the silver haired boy motioned to loosen his own scarf and gave it to the other.

Junhong high-fived the nearest tree and pumped his fist to the air.

The fangirls will pay him a lot for this. No more ramen this week.

*****

 

Daehyun stirred from his sleep and growled as he felt the constant pokes on his side. He rolled his body and burned his face in the soft pillow. “Five more minutes....”

He really needed another five minutes, he had to stay up late yesterday and the bed was comfy and warm. But the other was determined to wake him up, so instead of stopping, he shook Daehyun’s body roughly in an attempt to drive away the sleep. Daehyun was never an early riser.

“Youngjae-ah.... five more minutes...”

He turned his head and sleepily rubbed his eyes. Youngjae was sitting in his bedside, already wearing his school uniform. “Wake up already, you’ll be late...” Youngjae said, an annoyed face decorating his features.

“What time is it?” Daehyun yawned, his voice was hoarse from the morning.

“Ten minutes to seven”

Youngjae’s answer startled him and he jolted up from his bed. Practically jumping to his bathroom. “WHY DON’T YOU WAKE ME UP EARLIER?”

Youngjae rolled his eyes.  “It’s been years since I tried to wake you up!”

He quickly washed his face and brushed his teeth. His hair was a total mess, but he couldn’t care less. Crap, he would be late. He didn’t want to stand in the hallway for the whole period.

When he was out of the bathroom, Youngjae had already gone. It surprised him that the younger had somehow prepared Daehyun’s uniform and even his bag. He stood there for a minute to decipher the sight, but was soon awaken by Youngjae’s loud shout, telling him to move his faster. “COME DOWN IN A MINUTE OR I’LL EAT YOUR BREAKFAST!”

For the sake of his precious breakfast, he prepared himself in the speed of lightning. After eating it in a rush, he ran to the door and met with another surprise: Youngjae was waiting for him, his arm crossed on his chest as he leaned on the wall.

Youngjae had never been bothered to wait.

“You’re slow...” He scoffed. “And look at your hair!” Daehyun’s hand stopped tying his shoes as he felt the other’s hand brushed his hair lightly, combing the messy strand with his slender fingers. “What do you think coming to school looking like this, tsk!” Daehyun gulped down the lump in his throat. He didn’t know why the touch had suddenly made him nervous.

“That’s better!” He looked up to see Youngjae’s satisfied smile, and his lips unconciously formed a copy. They stared at each other for a little while before Youngjae suddenly kicked his sin. Hard. “WE WILL BE LATE YOU MORON!”

Well, Youngjae’s a bipolar. Daehyun had almost forget the fact.

*****

 

The first period went on slowly, too slow to Daehyun’s liking. It wasn’t because of the lessons though. No, he enjoyed studying math. It was all because of the weird stares that he received from the others –mostly girls. And he had the feeling that It was all because he had arrived with Yoo Youngjae earlier.

After they got to school, Youngjae had put on his cold persona, but they still strolled the hallway together, exchanging a few words as they walk. And even then, he could already felt the curious gazes that followed both of them. Is it that strange? Well, maybe because the whole school had labeled them as sworn enemies or something like that before. But it’s not like they’re suddenly dating...

He could see two girls sitting in the corner–damn it, he still couldn’t remember their names— took an occasional glances at him and Youngjae, then they would huddled their head together and giggles. This is so damn uncomfortable, but the younger didn’t seem to notice. He just walked to his seat coolly, and pretended to boringly stares at the window –while inside, Daehyun was sure, he was thinking about BAP, and more BAP related stuffs.

Well, maybe he just overthink it again. Himchan had said that he tends to do that.

“Ssst.... Daehyun!”

He averted his gaze to his left, Minhyun was grinning at him from his seat. With a swift motion, he thrown a crumpled paper to Daehyun’s desk and motioned him to open it.

Is it true that you’re dating Youngjae?

He stared at the paper with disbelief, and shot the grinning Minhyun a deathly glare. If only he could send laser beam through his eyes....

Are you crazy?

He wrote it quckly and thrown it back to its owner. Minhyun shrugged his shoulder, and wrote back.

I heard some girls talking about that :-P

Daehyun sighed. The girls.

And you’re seriously believe in that?

Minhyun wiggled his eyebrows and mounthed ‘Who knows? Haha’

He rolled his eyes, and mouthed ‘Not in a million...’. Minhyun muffled a laugh at that and gave him a sorry gesture, before throwing his gaze back to the front.

But, seriously, who would even believe in that crap?

*****

 

They’re dating.

Himchan eyes glisted with amusement. His hand secretly tapping his phone under his desk. The teacher was explaining something random about chemical reaction, and he didn’t care. He didn’t need to know that to become a famous singer.

And it wasn’t interesting.

But this, Daejae, IS interesting.

His face formed a smile as he looked at the recent updates. The forum had been buzzing with anticipation since someone posted a photo last night. It was a very romantic photo, with Daehyun –supposedly— confessing his love to Youngjae through a song. It looked like a damn drama shot, and it gave Himchan butterflies in his stomach

‘You’re just being delusional, it can be a mere coincidence that they met....’

Yongguk’s deep voice echoed in his brain. Duh, Yongguk was missing all the point in this shipping business. It’s about being delusional. It’s a shipper’s job to become one. Well, who cares if this was just a fluke, it seemed legit. If a mere glance meant that they’re in love, then something like this was pretty much a solid argument that they’re dating.

 

- Kyaaaa, look at that! This ship is sailing so smoothly I can’t even >______<

- Last night Daehyun confessed his love, and today they went to school together!!! It meant that they’re dating right? Right? Right? Hold me guuuys!!

- Guys, group hug! I spotted them talking in the hallway this morning! The sight burned my eyes it was TOO BEAUTIFUL TO HANDLE!!

-FINALLY! After weeks we got to see the REAL INTERACTION! IT’S REALER THAN REAL LIFE!!!

 

Himchan chuckled a little. Their reactions were the best.

 

- But then they’re still being so distant inside the classroom.... It made me sad :-(

- They just want to hide it! DON’T WORRY! THEY JUST DON’T WANT US TO KNOW!

 

Well, it’s true though. Even when he had believed that he was Daehyun’s bestfriend, the younger had never told him about this. Not even a clue. Not a word. He never even mentioned Youngjae’s name in their conversation. So it was kind of strange, if they were as close as this, Himchan believed that Daehyun would actually told him.

There must be something else going on with them. Something that even the hawk-eyed fangirls and shippers –and him— hadn’t catch. And it made him even more curious.

What kind of relationship that they really had?

*****

 

Jung Daehyun is a food monster.

That’s why, when he realized that he had left his lunch at home, devastation was clearly an understatement.

He slumped his back on the cafetaria’s chair. Looking at Himchan and Yongguk with envious eyes. He don’t have enough money to buy his lunch –thanks to a certain someone and his obsession to a certain group— and he was too polite to accept one of his fangirl’s lunch. So here he was, pitifully sitting in the cafetaria without any food in hand.

“Do you want some?” Yongguk offered his share, but Daehyun kindly refused. Yongguk-hyung needed all the energy to stay alive dealing with all the student council problems –and Kim Himchan. Mostly the latter.

“Seriously? You don’t want any? My little dongsaeng looked really sad....” Daehyun snickered, Himchan and his sweet talk was much more annoying than Youngjae’s. At least Youngjae looked cute.

Eh?

Hunger. It was because of the hunger.

“Nah, it’s okay hyung. Really, just finish your meals already....”

They nodded and continue nibbling happily on their food. Daehyun sighed. He’s hungry, but there’s no way that he would only take a bite from their lunch. He knows it well that he’s the kind of someone who would just devour anything in an instant. Food just had that much effect on him.

He felt his phone vibrated in his pocket. A message.

 

From: Yoo Youngjae

I had your lunch with me, pabo :-P

Come and retrieve it. I’ll be waiting under the stairs in the west wing.

 

Wow, really?

He grinned widely. Food. FOOD!

“Where are you going?”

Himchan curiously asked as he abruptly stood from his seat.

“Retrieving my lover!”

Himchan choked on his own food as the boy leave the two dumbfounded guy. What was that? Jung Daehyun had  just confessed that he had a LOVER?? AND HE WOULD BRING HIS LOVER HERE?

*****

 

“Here” Youngjae handed him the lunchbox, which he gratefully received. Their meeting place was deserted. Everybody were in the cafetaria, or basking under the rare warm sunlight. No one bothered to come to such boring spot.

“Thank you Youngjae-ah!” He gave the younger his widest grin, but the younger just scoffed. His cheek a light shade of pink.

“But why won’t you give it before? When we’re in class...”

Youngjae gave him the look that told him that he was the stupidest person on earth. “And what? People would get curious....”

For some reason, Youngjae refused to tell that they live in the same house. He said that it will be bothersome because people would think that he had become approaceable through Daehyun. He had agreed eventhough he didn’t understand half of the younger’s arguments.

Well, but the most important thing was the fact that he had his lunch with him now.

“It doesn’t matter, thank you Jae-ah!” He ruffled the younger’s hair before running back to the cafetaria. Never fully realized the new invented nickname and how red the younger’s face had became.

*****

 

“Tadah!”

Daehyun proudly exhibited his ‘lover’; a yellow luchbox, to everyone. Yeah, his forever love was his lunch. “Look at this beautiful creature... I missed him...”

Himchan rolled his eyes. He was expecting someone *coughYooYoungjaecough* and then Daehyun bring something like this. He wasn’t impressed.

“Stupid!” He smacked the youngest, who gave him a questioning look. “Where did you get it anyway?”

Daehyun suddenly looked perplexed, and Himchn didn’t miss it. Well, it looks like there’s still something fishy here.... “I—I actually brought it! It was in my locker! Yeah, it was in my locker and then I thought that I didn’t bring it, then Minhyun found it!”

Smooth Daehyun, just smooth. Daehyun mentally facepalmed, what a petty excuse.

“Oh....” There’s something working on Himchan’s head. Daehyun didn’t like the smirk that the elder have in his beautiful face. “Well, then. Let’s eat!”

He propped down on his seat and eagerly opened the box. He drolled at the sight of the delicious treat. Mrs. Yoo’s luchbox never dissapoint him.

*****

 

Youngjae squished his cheek between his sweaty palm. He didn’t know why it suddenly became warm. Jung Daehyun and his stupid smile recently have this strange effect on him, and he was sure that he didn’t like it. It was all because of that stupid guitar playing and stupid angelic voice!

He honestly didn’t recogzine him at first, not as his childhood bestfriend. Well, his hair was in the colour of silver, and he acted different than the kid that he used to know. The kid that would always follow him everywhere and babbling even the most unimportant things on earth. Daehyun was.... quiter, calmer.... That’s why he hadn’t bothered to get close to him at first. But then, after he had saved him in the department store, Youngjae had become eager to befriend him. One, to repay his debt. Two, because he just felt like it.

After that, the old Jung Daehyun slowly emerged from the boy. He’s the exact same boy who would do anything for Youngjae –well, eventhough he complained a lot. And then, he became much more talkative. It’s easy to become comfortable around him all over again.

And then, he saw him singing and it was beautiful.

Damn it!

Youngjae must have gotten crazy. He was sure he was faithful to BAP. He didn’t like any other singers, no matter how pretty or handsome they are. But suddenly Daehyun made him want to be his fan.

NO! THIS WAS WRONG! Youngjae scolded himself inwardly.

No, he couldn’t be Daehyun’s fan.

Just no.

Well...

Maybe not so openly.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Junhongie made his appearance! Wuhuuuuu!

I made him into a paparazzi, duh. I don't even know....hahahha

And daejae started to feel something to each other huh? Well....

The, please enjooooy!!

I hope you guys all like it ^^

I just kind of throwing everything together in this chapter. hhhahahah

Your comment keep me motivated, so thaaaank you so much for leaving one :-)