Fourteen: Deal? Truth?

Switch

 

 

‘Damn it, Youngjae!’

Daehyun had lost count on how many times he had cursed tonight. He frantically ran everywhere looking for the other, who was still nowhere in sight. The shop had already closed, and he was now running around near the dim-litted park, ignoring his hurting sides and erratic breathing. His anxiety had reached its limit. Just thinking about what could’ve happened to the boy sent shivers down his spine.

Just where the hell is he?

Daehyun should have come.

He should.

If only the younger had told him about the threatening letters, he would willingly him anywhere he wants.

“Sh*t”

He stopped on his track, bending on his knees and panting hard. He really should exercise more. He’s already exhausted and fairly out of breath.

“Dae...hyun?”

Hearing the voice that he knew the best, he automatically whipped his head around. A sign of relieve washed over his face as he sees Youngjae standing on the road. A plastic bag in his hand. Perfectly okay, no harm done whatsoever.

He unconciously smiled. A smile of utter ease.

“What are you doing this late at night Daehyun? Jogging?” The sight of Youngjae apparently blurred everything else in the surrounding, because Daehyun swore he hadn’t notice the figure who was standing besides Youngjae the whole damn time, Kim Himchan, before the boy speaks the words.

‘What is happening?’

It looks like Youngjae could read the expression on his face, and quickly explained. “I met Himchan-hyung on the way home.” Daehyun stood straight. “And we grab something to eat and talk about soo many things while at it, we kinda lost track on time.”

Damn Yoo Youngjae for smiling so innocently like that. And damn Kim Himchan for being so gullible at it. Daehyun wanted to laugh out loud. To laugh at his own stupidity. All the running, all the sweat, all the fear and concern. And here Youngjae is, perfectly intact, full, and happy. Clueless about all the things that Daehyun had went through.

He really didn’t know whether to be happy or not.

“Let’s go home.”

He hissed the words as he quickly grabbed Youngjae’s hand and stormed off the scene, not even sparing a glance at the confused Himchan.

It was because he suddenly felt angry.

Soo soo angry.

*****

 

Youngjae didn’t know what had gotten into Daehyun’s head. Why was he panting in the middle of the road this late at night? Did he just run aound at this hour? Was that some kind of a secret exercise to have a good voice? And why was he suddenly.... mad at him? Moreover, he just suddenly grabbed his hand and dragged him home, never giving Youngjae the chance to explains things to Himchan—and Daehyun himself. He wasn’t sure, but he sensed that the older was angry, and it somehow because of him.

He stared at the older’s back and gulped down nervously.

Daehyun had never been mad at him. Not even once.

Not even when Youngjae throws his occasional tantrum, or orders him around, or demands stupid things from him. Even when he kicked him out of his room today, Daehyun wasn’t angry— just simply annoyed.

But now Daehyun was angry.

“Yah, Daehyun-ah... it hurts.” He tried to wriggle his hand out of Daehyun’s grasp. “Don’t hold it too tight, my wrist hurts!”

The elder simply released his hold and resumed his walk. Not even looking back at Youngjae.

“Yah! Are you mad?”

Youngjae shouted to his back, but Daehyun only moved forward. Their house only meters ahead. “YAH! Listen to me!” He caught up to him in front of the front door, grabbed his shoulder, and forced the elder to turn and looked at him in the eyes. “Tell me what’s wrong! What have I done wrong?”

Daehyun’s eyes were dark, and his stares menacing. “Nothing.”

What?

“Yah! You’re clearly angry with me. Just tell me already what’s wrong!” Daehyun said nothing and left him all alone, puzzled, in front of the house. “What a brat.” Youngjae grumbled as he carelessly removed his shoes and thrown it to the corner. Daehyun was such a brat. Well, he was usually the one acting like a brat, BUT tonight Daehyun was the bratty one. “Acting like such a girl...”

“Youngjae, is that you?” His mother shouted from the TV room.

“Yes, Umma!” He wasn’t in the mood to deal with his mother’s scolding. So he just want to go to his room already. But when he walked past the TV room, his mother quickly motioned him to come. “What is it, Umma? I want to sleep...”

“Gezz, why did you come home so late? You should at least text me!”

“I went to eat with my friend and I left my phone...” He whined.

“Such a careless child! Go and thanks Daehyun. He even went to search for you....”

Eh?

“He is?” Wow. That’s just.........

“Yes, he looked exhausted. I think he ran around so much looking for such an ungrateful brat like you...”

But why? He’s a grown up man. Well, not yet, but at least he wasn’t a ten years old who would just simply get lost in his own neighboorhood. Why would Daehyun bothered to seach for him like that? He has no reason to worry...

Unless....

Youngjae ran to his room and slammed the door open. As he saw the completed puzzles in the floor, he knew he was right: Daehyun had seen it. Of course he would get all worked up. Of course Jung Daehyun would be worrying about him like that.

“Arrghh!” Yoo Youngjae ruffled his hair in annoyance.

Of course Daehyun would just get mad at him like that.

*****

 

Daehyun slammed his body on to the soft bed. He didn’t know what has gotten into him. He was acting irrational. He should be glad that Youngjae was okay, that there’s Himchan-hyung to protect him from the creepy sender of those letters. But he was angry, eventhough he knew that he shouldn’t be. It’s just that Yoo Youngjae and his oblivion irritated him that much.

He heard the door squeaked open and light foorsteps coming nearer. He buried his face deeper to the pillow. For once, he wanted to be stubborn.

“Daehyun-ah...” Youngjae’s voice was timid and soft, and it shows how sorry the younger is. But Daehyun resisted the urge to turned his head. He felt the bed sank a bit lower as Youngjae sat in his side. “Yah, I know why you’re mad... I’m sorry...”

Did he even know his fault? Hell, Daehyun didn’t even know himself.

“I shouldn’t left my phone, at least I should have texted you with Himchan-hyung’s phone, I should have known that you’re worried....” He stopped for a moment. “I should have told you about the threat...”

The room was silent. No one moved or said anything.

Five minutes... ten minutes...

“You should....” Daehyun turned his head and looked at the younger, who slightly smiled in relieve.

“So, you’re not mad anymore?” Daehyun laughed. It’s a rare opportunity to see the scared-looking Yoo Youngjae.

“Yeah, there’s no point in that.” He shifted his position so they were now sitting face to face. “Now, mind to tell me about the lovely photographs?”

“Tsk, lovely my !” Youngjae smacked his arm.

“Yoo Youngjae, language!”

“HAHA. Funny. Jung Daehyun-ssi. Funny.” Youngjae looked conflicted for a moment, contemplating between telling him now or just save it for tomorrow. “The thing is...” Daehyun listened intently to the story. Trying not to miss out any detail. “So, after the first photo, I got another one everyday. Slipped on my bag... and when I’m trying not to leave my seat for a day, the sender slipped it in my locker. All the threats are harsh and mean, but it’s not those things that bother me....” Youngjae took a deep breath. “It’s the photos...”

“The photos?”

“Yeah, it’s all.... candid. Everything were secretly taken without my knowing. And it scares me... I mean, the feeling that the sender is eyeing my every moves is sickening....” Youngjae gave Daehyun something that he had been holding all along. “That’s... the photo was definitely taken when we went out last weekend.” That’s true. It was Youngjae and his glasses and checkered shirt, and even he can make out his own hand touching Youngjae’s shoulder. The words ‘GO TO THE DEEPEST HELL’ are written messily. “Creepy, huh?”

Daehyun was speechless.

“That’s why I kinda drag you around everywhere... sorry for that.” Youngjae smiled sheepishly. But he didn’t need to apologize, Daehyun thought. This was nothing to apologize for.

“You should tell me earlier...” He softly said.

“Yeah, it’s just that I don’t want to bother you, you know? Since I’m already such a burdensome kid.” Despite his laugh, Youngjae was bitter.

“No.” Daehyun made sure to look firmly into the other’s eyes when he said it. “No, you’re not a burden. Not at all...”

*****

 

That night Himchan was caught in a deep... deep thought. The previous encounter with both Youngjae and Daehyun played repeatedly in his head. Everything was just suspicious. Fishy. Strange. Something was going on between those two, Himchan was more than sure.

Even more convinced than usual.

He was just taking a stroll to a convenience store when he saw Youngjae. Walking alone, slightly grumbling. He had to take a double look because the kid was wearing his glasses, and he looked slightly different than usual. When he called out to him though, the younger instantly smiled at him and bowed down politely.

“Yah, don’t act so formal! You remind me of Daehyun.” Himchan walked nearer to the smiling boy. When adressing him or Yongguk, this kid always smiled his polite smile, and Himchan suddenly determined to break the artificial mask. Well, Himchan might be not too bright on Chemisty, but leave it to him when it comes to human’s bond. “Heading home?”

“Yes, hyung. I just went to buy something.”

“Well, you must be missing out on dinner. Wanna grab something with your favorite hyung?” Youngjae opened his mounth, but before he could refuse the offer, Himchan had casually put his arm on the other’s shoulder. “I can show you a very great ramen stall. Follow me!”

Defeated, the younger followed him like a lost puppy.

Being the people person he is, it wasn’t hard for Himchan to start a conversation, and the younger was easily opening up to him. Well, Youngjae seemed to guard himself but he can be talkative if you just push on the right button. Surprisingly, after a while, the topic steered itself into Jung Daehyun.

“Yeah, if it’s Daehyun then he would devour this in a second!” Himchan said excitedly. “He’s such a pig sometimes...”

“NO. Not just sometimes, Hyung. But ALWAYS. He eat food for three people every dinner!” Well, then the two should always had dinner together, Himchan thought. But he kept it to himself, shouldn’t ruin the nice convo.

After talking and talking and talking, they realized that it’s already late. Himchan offered to walk home together, and the younger complied. Himchan learned that if you knew the kid enough, he’s actually loud and cute. Opposite to the general belief that he’s a cold ice-prince.

It surprised him to see Daehyun, standing all exhausted in the middle of the road, and what even more surprising was his expression thorough the exchange. When he saw that Himchan was present, the smile suddenly fell from the Busan boy’s face, changing into something so close to anger when he suddenly grabbed Youngjae’s hand. Hissing ‘Let’s go home’ with so much venom.

Jelousy?

And what’s with ‘Let’s go home?’, is he searching for Youngjae?

Fishy, huh?

Himchan clicked  on the envelope symbol on the screen, and read the message from Baby-Z. He had enough photos already, and also today’s event. Tomorrow will be the perfect day to confront Jung Daehyun, now with a full force.

*****

 

Daehyun stared at the picture in his hand, he was curious about the whole threatening message case. Why would someone do this to Youngjae? It’s ridiculous. And to follow him around like that... That was just too much. He wanted to find the culprit, but it will be impossible to do it alone. And Youngjae had insisted on dropping the case. ‘Just let it be.’ he said. ‘It will eventually stop.’

Well, but Daehyun wanted it to stop already. Waiting wasn’t his forte.

And in a second thought, getting dragged around by Youngjae in a long term might be troublesome after all.

“Daehyun!” He turned his head, Minhyun was calling him from the hallway. “Himchan-hyung asked you to come to the SC’s room.”

Himchan hyung? Well.... it didn’t feel right.

 

“So, sit down please.” As soon as he entered the room, Himchan made him sit on a chair. A laptop arranged nicely at the table in front of him. He elder put on a too-bright smile that made Daehyun extra suspicious. Whatever is it, Himchan was up to no good. “Make yourself comfortable Daehyun-ah....”

Well. The sweet tone was dubious. “Himchan-hyung, just get to the point already. What do you want?”

“Omo! Gukkie! Look at this kid’s mouth!”

Yongguk sighed, he already got enough of Himchan’s sh*t.

“Really hyung, if you take my precious break for something like this. I’ll go.”

Himchan abruptly put his hand around Daehyun’s shoulder. “Wait, wait! Stay put! I want you to see this first...” With his free hand, he moved around the cursor and a slideshow appeared on the screen. Daehyun could practically saw the evil smirk on his face.

What the freak is this?

He never remembered taking a picture with Youngjae, and.... well, he never been this close to Youngjae either... was he?

“Hyung, what the is this?”

“Ssshh... just look at it first...”

The pictures were a complete joke. Of course, if it’s NOT original. The problem was, it’s all original. No editing whatsoever. And well, looking at these pictures the idea of him and Youngjae dating suddenly wasn’t that ridiculous. Am I THIS close with him? Did people see us THIS way? Wow, mindblowing. And what about all of these pictures? Who would want to follow them around and take candid pictures like th—

Oh.

Damn.

The ‘Z’ watermark at the corner of those photos.... it was familiar.

 

It was there, in the candid photos of Youngjae.

 

“YAH! DID YOU TAKE ALL OF THIS HYUNG?!”

Himchan was startled, and bluttered “No, no, it wasn’t me...” nervously.

“Then, where did you get it from?!” It was the clue. The one who took this must be the culprit, or at least knew about them. “Yah, hyung-ah!”

“YAH! Why are you being like this! It’s not like I’m doing something bad with this!” Himchan shouted back, feeling offended.

Calm yourself down Daehyun, calm down....

He put his hand on Himchan’s shoulder and looked at him straight in the eyes. “Here’s the deal Himchan-hyung. I need your help to find the one who took these pictures. After that, I’ll tell you the truth.”

“The truth?”

“Yeah the truth,” Daehyun firmly said. “about me and Youngjae.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

An update! Yeey! So, how was it? Did you all like it? ^^

I hope you enjoyed reading this...

Thank you for leaving comments and even upvoted this story... You're all AWESOME!!!