Twenty One: Thoughts

Switch

I know I've been missing for too long, I'm really sorry for that >~<

I kinda lost track of what's in store to this story... So... it kind of hard to pick it up again. I hope this chapter, despite many of its lacking, wouldn't dissapoint to much....

Enjoy, you all! And thanks for waiting... Your comments really motivate me to come back! All the love for you <3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“Yah, how’s Seoul?”

“Have you got an audition?”

“I heard the girls are hot, it that true?”

Daehyun warmly laughed at the way his friends bombarded him with questions. Right when they saw him, they simply began to talk excitedly about anything and everything like how the group used to be. Daehyun was touched that they planned a gathering as soon as he called one of his close friends. And It’s nice to be able to talk freely with satoori again.

“I searched your school on the internet, and damn, it is cool!” Minsook, his close friend since middle school, exclaimed loudly

“Hahahaha, it is... but It’s like learning double the amount we learn here.”

“Yah... you got more handsome. Got a girl, huh?” Junhee wiggled his eyebrows suggestively while Daehyun only laughed even more. Girlfriend, huh? Instead of getting one, Daehyun’s head was preoccuppied by a bratty bipolar boy unfathomable to normal people instead.

Ani, school is so hard that dating is out of the question.”

“Aish, you don’t even date while you’re here. You really have no sympathy for common people like us...” Minsook caught him in a headlock and soon they were playfully wrestling, laughing loudly in the near-empty restaurant, the cooking ahjumma could only shook her head knowingly.

Their goofing around only died down when a group of girls entered the place, giggling amongst themselves. Daehyun recognised a too-familiar face amidst the crowd, and the restaurant went momentarily silent when they caught each other’s eyes.

 

With an awkward smile Daehyun greeted the short-haired girl and she smiled back.

*****

 

Daehyun felt the warm sand dancing around his fingers, the wave gently rolling by his feet. The sun was scorching above his head but his heart swelled with a sense of tranquil melancholia.

“Yah, you know you don’t have to be awkward around me don’t you?” He turned his head to the lanky girl walking by his side. Her short black hair twirling around, being teased by the wind. “I don’t get rejected every year so our friendship can turn sour.”

Daehyun laughed and passed her a sincere smile. “I know.”

Hyeri

They had known each other for years. As long as Daehyun could remember playing in the Busan beach, that is how long Daehyun could remember his friendship with her. They might not be bestfriend who have their hips glued together, but still, Hyeri was a solid presence in Daehyun’s life.

“When was the first time I asked you out, Daehyun? Was it in middle school?”

They stopped and sat down on the sand, watching birds flying about in the sky as Daehyun recalled the memory. “I believe it was way before that. You gave chocolate every Valentine’s Day in elementary school.”

“Ah, you are right! In third grade! That was the first time I got rejected.”

Third grade. It was such a long time ago. And every year, without even a miss, Hyeri would ask him out to be her boyfriend. And Daehyun would reject her. Every single time.

Sometimes Daehyun did feel bad about it.

“You are so persistent, Hyeri-ah.”

“So do you, Daehyunnie.”

Hyeri was a lovely girl: cheerful, kind, and pretty, and one would be stupid to cast-off such proposal. But Daehyun was indeed a fool.

And he was grateful that she still wanted to remain friends despite everything.

“Why are you so determined by the way? It’s not like I’m a superman or something.” It was true. Daehyun might be popular, but it was not as if he was the only decent guy in town. There were a lot of guys more befitting for Hyeri in so many ways.

She let out a jolly laugh, hands animatedly smacking Daehyun’s arm. She thought it was ridiculous for reasons Daehyun did not quite understand. “Right? It’s strange, right? When you moved to Seoul and I got together with sunbae I finally realised how stupid I was.”

Oh, yeah. Daehyun had heard. She finally got together with a sunbae two weeks after he moved out. He glad it turned out to be good. He joined in with a cackle, reminiscing the strange relationship they had somehow developed.

“It may be because you are my first love.” She suddenly answered. Firm and certain.

First love, huh?

“Yeah, that definitely it. We hold onto out first love like it’s a lifeline. Repeatedly, trying to make something happen although deep down we kind of knew that it was already pass the due date. First love is strange... he might not be perfect, there might be tons of people who are definitely better than him, but you still hold on to that person derperately, as if he is the last missing piece of your life. And just like that you keep on living in your own fantasy, your own version of perfect.”

Daehyun wondered. He had not has his first love, yet.

“I think I was like that too when I hold on to you. But not every first love works out, and so does mine. I never regret it though.” Daehyun watched as she stretched lazily and flopped her body on the sandy beach, smiling peacefully. “You have such funny face everytime I confess.”

Of course, Daehyun mused. This girl never understand the conflicting feelings inside his head everytime that happened.

They resumed their chats with an elated heart, both understanding the start of their new chapter in silent pauses between their conversations. Hyeri was happy with her sunbae, a quiet and manly guy she can order around—but she loved him, wholehertedly. With a childish whine she poured how she’s dreading the time when he graduate and move to Seoul for college or work. “Ah, I really can’t imagine being apart. How could I annoy him then?”

Daehyun smiled, but his mind wondered to places he didn’t really want to visit.

“Hyeri-ah, how could you do that?”

“What?”

“Loving someone like that, so straightforward and sure... I mean, how could you be so sure?”

Daehyun wanted it to pass as a curious remark, but Hyeri had known him for too long to ignore the slight distress tainting his voice and the way Daehyun didn’t want to meet her eyes.

“What, you are not sure whether you like this Seoul girl or not?”

Not even his fake-laugh can trick his dear friend.

“Yah, just tell me! Never in my life I see Jung Daehyun stresses himself because of a girl. I’ll tell you this; it must have meant something.”

It was not a girl. Not even close. But Daehyun might just a tad bit stressed over his feeling—or his lack of understanding of it.

Does it really meant something—that thing?

“Yah! Spill! Jung Daehyun! Spill!”

Daehyun heaved a deep sigh, there’s no escaping Hyeri. “It’s just... Well, I never really think about how I feel about hi—her. The two of us being close needed almost no effort, so maybe I kind of took it for granted—the relationship. But, lately, I begin to have my doubt... I don’t know, I’m just confused.”

“Are you two close? Like, bestfriend?”

Daehyun wondered. What to exactly call his relationship with Youngjae, huh?

“We’ve been by each other’s side the whole damn time.” Daehyun concluded.

“Do you like your current relationship with her?”

Daehyun nodded firmly. Of course he did.

“Does she wants something more? Do YOU want something more out of it?”

He wasn’t sure. He thinks their current dynamic was nice (minus the strange knot inside his chest whenever Youngjae laughs with Himchan, at least). “I don’t know, Hyeri-ah. Really. The idea just came to me all of sudden and I... well, maybe I was just overwhelmed by everything..?”

“Take it easy then! I mean, what if you’re not sure about how you feel about her? Have you, Jung Daehyun, ever thinks of something like that? You, the Jung Daehyun that I know, will have his body reacts first then think later. Why take it so seriously? Just do what you wanna do, aish, you frustating little brat!”

As Hyeri hurled him down to the receiving sea-water, Daehyun was able to see a little bit better to the end of his thought.

*****

 

Youngjae seethed. He couldn’t even control the anger oozing out of his stance. He might have told Himchan that he wasn’t affected—not even the slightest—by Daehyun nonexistent reply (He had learned, through eavesdropping his conversation with Yongguk, that yes, Jung Freaking Daehyun had answered Himchan’s message) but his action begged to differ. None of his classmates, not even Eunji, had dared to go near him—despite his effort to become a tad bit more approceable these days. He definitely wasn’t affected by Daehyun.

He huffed for the umptenth time, still failing to understand what happened with Daehyun. What have he done wrong, exactly? The last thing he remembered he even so KINDLY took the other’s bag around. Yoo Youngjae never did that. He never took anyone’s bag with him before.

He could feel the rage burning in his vein. Why the classroom so damn hot today?

‘You missed him that much?’

No. Yoo Youngjae didn’t miss anyone except BAP, not even Jung Daehyun. No matter how much his mother at breakfast today, it didn’t make it a fact.

He glanced at his phone again, which was still stubbornly quiet.

It got a little lonely, though.

Without Daehyun around, there’s something slightly amiss. Youngjae still fanboys BAP as much, but there is no one he could kick around when he was excited. No one to pester and annoy. No one to order around. There were no mopey music from beyond the wall of his room. And when Youngjae slept at the other’s bed last night (he was just exhausted after making a huge mess as some kind of protest, mind you) it was just lacking the warmth.

It was scary how old routine feels strangely out of place.

But Youngjae, definitely, didn’t miss Daehyun.

Not at all.

 

When his cellphone let out a faint beep, however, his hand was quick to open the device.

 

A small—very small—smile made its way to Youngjae’s face—the warmth seeping to his swollen chest.

 

From: Dae-pabo

Busan beach is awesome! You really should come and visit!

I’ll be right home, don’t miss me too much Jae-ah! Hahaha

 

Daehyun eyesmile was never so bright and ardent—despite him being soaked wet on the picture attached.

 

Youngjae scoffed. He really didn’t miss Jung Daehyun. At all.

 

 

__________________________________________________________

Sorry that it was so short!