Ten: What the hell?

Switch

 

 

“What the hell is this?!” Daehyun shouted at the top of his lungs. His fellow bandmembers only laughed even harder. “YAH! How could you do this to me?!” He wrestled the laughing Myungsoo on the floor. “Yah! Why did you make me the vocalist?! We had agreed that I’ll only play the guitar!”

“Yah....calm down Daehyun-ah....” Minhyuk tried to set them apart, but the drummer ended up getting caught in the playfull fight. The three of them jumbled together on the floor.

“Seriously guys....” Jungshin, their bass player, casually leaned his back on the chair, amused by his friends antics. “Stop it or you’ll lose a finger or two... the festival is near....”

Minhyuk shot up from the mess, “So it’s okay if it’s after the festival?”

Jungshin shrugged his shoulder nonchalantly, then the rest thrown each other a knowing look before attacking the sitting male. Everyone ended up laughing their of on top of each other.

“But seriously guys....” Daehyun turned to lie on his back, he panted a little and his sides hurt. “I’m a nervous wreck on stage... Myungsoo should be the vocalist...”

“Nope! It’s already final!” The said male propped himself on his elbow, face forming his trademark grin. “And I’m a better guitarist...”

Dahyun rolled his eyes, Minhyuk patted his shoulder encouragingly. “Man, we’ve heard your voice and it’s great! You should have some confident!”

“But....”

“How would you pursue music if you refuse to sing in front of people, huh?” Daehyun stared at the poker-faced Jungshin, feeling defeated. It’s true though, as expected from the leader.... “And you’ve got the face, and also the popularity. You’re like the hot new item that will save us if we screw up on stage hahahhahahhaha”

They all laughed at the pouting Daehyun, but deep down, the silver-haired man understand that they’re only joking. In the short amount of time Daehyun had knew this guys, the only thing that he was sure of is their love and passion for music. Everything’s second to that: even Myungsoo’s scary  girlfriend.

Maybe, he should actually try this time?

*****

 

“Daehyun!”

Daehyun raised his head and scanned the crowded hallway. It took him a minute to see two girls running and slithering through the mass of people. One of them is his classmate, but then... what’s her name again? Aissh, why was it so hard to remember girls’ names?

“Oh...hi!” Daehyun greeted them as they come nearer. This is ankward..

Looking at the confused Daehyun, the girl with ponytail snickered, and then chuckled. Her tone has a bit of a Busan accent . “You’re really something Jung Daehyun... we’re already classmates for two months and I also came from Busan and then you still could’t remember my name... I’m Jung Eun Ji!”

The boy scratched his head  and smiled sheepishly. He didn’t know why but even up to this point he couldn’t really remember his classmates’ names. Only a few people he’s close with, like Minhyun or his bandmembers –also Himchan and Yongguk—. But he was glad that his friends understand this side of him; they knew he had tried. “I’m sorry.....”

“Nevermind... but you should lend me your hand!”

“Eh? Helping you with what?” Daehyun asked, Eunji nudged the other girl with long black hair standing nervously beside her.

“It’s about Yoo Youngjae!” Eunji finally said as her friend seemed to be at lost of words. “Aissh Minah-ah! Explain it yourself!”

“Euhm... it’s... can you help me to persuade Youngjae?” Minah looked at him with hopefull eyes, and Daehyun stared at her questioningly. “Can you persuade Youngjae  to help us with the poster for the festival? We want him to draw the illustration....”

“Illustration? Why don’t you ask him yourself?” Daehyun had heard that Youngjae’s drawing were good, well he would surely want to help with something like this right?

“I’ve already asked him....” Her tone suddenly became solemn.

“That guy refused it! Tsk, if only he wasn’t that cute....” Eunji piped in, looking annoyed.

“Ahh...maybe he had something else to do...” But Daehyun sure he didn’t. “If you could’t persuade him then how could I do that?”

“But you’re close with him! I know that you’ll be able to do that! Help us, ‘kay??” Eunji pleaded while trying to use her cute act. “Please Daehyun-ah.... okay??”

Daehyun looked back and forth between the two girls. Minah seemed a little unexcited with Eunji jumping up and down by her side.

He took a really deep breath.

“Okay....”

Just why was it so hard to say no?

 

*****

 

“ I CAN’T BELIEVE SOMEONE DARED TO DO  THIS TO ME!”

When Daehyun walked into his room, he was welcomed by the enraged Youngjae. He stood in front of his door, his face flushed red. Daehyun could basically saw the steam coming out off his ears. “I CAN’T BELIEVE SOMEONE IS CHILDISH ENOUGH TO DO THIS KIND OF THING!”

He threw his arms dramatically and began to pace around the room, yelling at the innocent furnitures. Daehyun just dumfoundedly stared at him. Just what kind of thing happened this time?

“THIS IS NOT EVEN FUNNY FOR A JOKE!!”

Youngjae stomped his foot on the floor like a five years old kid and Daehyun let out a heavy sigh. It’s lucky that Mrs. Yoo wasn’t home. “Yah, stop doing that and explain it to me....” He dropped his bag and scooted nearer to the still-fuming boy, he had to put his hand on his shoulder just to make him stay still. “What happened?”

Youngjae’s chest rose and fall erratically in his grip as he tried to contain his anger. The eyes looking back at his was somehow hesitant, and afraid. “This....” He shoved something into Daehyun chest, and Daehyun face went pale as he take a look at the source of all this commotion. “Someone put it in my bag today, tsk! Such a childist act. And how dare he write such thing on my cute face! I mean he could just write it somewhere else BUT MY FACE! MY FACE!”

And then Youngjae rambled about something completely out of topic –namely his face and the misspelled threatening word (‘It should be DIE not DEATH, does that person even understand Korean?’) and it completely took Daehyun off guard. He was sure that normally, people wouldn’t react THIS way. Well then, Youngjae wasn’t the slightest bit normal. “Do you know who could possibly do this?” He asked, motioning the other boy to sit with him in his bed.

“Who knows? I’m not that likeable anyway....” The younger murmured under his breath, but the bitterness in those words was still clear enough for Daehyun to notice. Youngjae was standing in front of him, and for the first time Daehyun noticed his slightly trembling hands.

Unconciously, he stretched out his own to grab the pair. “It’s okay, maybe it’s just some silly prank...”  He gave Youngjae’s hands a light squeeze. The younger tensed for a bit before his body slowly relaxed. He murmured something that Daehyun couldn’t caught.

“What?”

Still a whisper.

“What is it?”

The younger lift his head and shot him a deathly glare. “I SAID THANK YOU! ARE YOU DEAF?!” Then he yanked his hand free and stomped out the room with a fuming face. Just what the hell he had done wrong this time?

*****

 

It was finally Saturday morning and Daehyun was excited to go karaoke-ing with Youngjae. Nothing big happened these past few days. No other threathening messages or any harm inflicted to the younger. They went to school together like usual, didn’t really talk much at school like usual, bickering non-stop at home like usual, and Youngjae budge him with his fanboying over BAP like usual. Just a very ordinary daily life for both.

“Are you ready?” Youngjae stood by Daehyun’s bedroom door. He was wearing his black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt and an oversized red-checkered shirt. He  wore his glasses, something he rarely did outside.

“What’s with the glasses?” Daehyun pointed out curiously.

“It’s just you, I won’t bother putting the damn contacts for you.” Youngjae stuck out his tongue, “And it looks cute with this outfit...”

Well, he did look cute. Daehyun thought. Even more with the glasses...

Duh, what was he thinking?

“And you’re seriously wearing that thing?” Youngjae looked at his outfit in disgust. It’s just a plain skinny jeans and a white t-shirt.

“What? It’s normal...”

“It’s TOO normal!” The younger stormed to his wardrobe and quckly scanned the content. “You should put a bit more of an effort! God bless the school uniform, you went out looking like this and all your fangirls will be running away, you idiot!”

Youngjae keep on blabbering about fashion and all as he searched for something ‘appropriate’ for Daehyun to wear. He reminded him of Himchan. How would it be when the two actually become friend? Well, Daehyun’s life would probably be a living hell. He shuddered at the thought. After ten minutes changing into many different outfits –which everytime ended up with ‘It’s too flashy!’ remark from Daehyun. Youngjae settled with giving the boy his leather jacket.

“Wear it or I’ll refuse to go with such a slob like you!”

Youngjae’s tone was final. And just like many other times, Daehyun had lost.

 

The bus ride was comfortable as the two boys chatted excitedly about just anything –from Mrs. Yoo motherly nagging to the upcoming festival. Daehyun told Youngjae about him being the school band’s vocalist and the younger only nodded, the older slightly dissapointed by the (lack of) reaction. He was sure that Youngjae would at least laugh at him for being so pathetic.

“Ah, and Eunji asked me to tell you that she needed your help with the poster...” Daehyun had almost forget about that.

“Well, sure...”

It turned out to be easy, eh? “Why did you refuse it before then?”

Youngjae stared at him with his typical blank look, his head lazily rested on the windowpane. “That girl is my fangirl, she’ll bug me to no end if I say yes...”

“Eunji? She didn’t seem like the type...”

“No, the other... who was it again? The one with the black hair...” Daehyun didn’t get Youngjae’s logic, but whatever. At least he still wanted to help the girls and it meant one thing cleared off his to-do list.

After another round of their meaningless chat, the bus finally came into a halt in front of a crowded street. They step off of the bus and Youngjae’s jaw slightly dropped at the sight; young people hudled in front of arcades, karaoke boxes and movie teather. A row of flashy looking shop in line. Daehyun chuckled, who’s the country boy now?

“Is it that fascinating?”

Youngjae had his head looking left and right as he nodded. “It’s been years since I actually went to this kind of place, I usually just play at the bookstore and malls...”

Nerd alert.

“Let’s go then!” Daehyun nudged the boy to follow him. He had been here a few times already, forcefully –and happily— dragged by Himchan or his bandmembers. He had an old music store –selling old tapes and disk— that he personally liked a lot. This street had almost everything that you probably need as a youngster in this kind of generation.

“Nee, Young—” He stopped at his track as he realized that Younjae was nowhere near. ‘That kid...’

He had to go back and finally found Youngjae standing in front of a small accessory shop, thouroughly looking at the rings and bracelets in display. “Yah, what are you doing?” Daehyun grabbed his wrist and Youngjae looked at him questioningly. “Aishh, you haven’t even realized that I already went on my own?”

Youngjae shook his head, sheepishly smiling at the older. “I’m sorry...”

“You’re really something...” Daehyun tightened his grip on Youngjae’s. “Let’s go...” They walked hand in hand –at some point Daehyun had altered to hold Youngjae’s smaller hand on his— and he didn’t care how gay it looked because he just couldn’t bother to lose the other in the damned crowd.

Holding the other hand like this, it felt like a deja-vu.

It felt so habitual that it’s strange.

“Where are we going by the way?”

Daehyun turned his head to look at the other and smiled. “Karaoke, of course... I knew a place with a big discount!”

Youngjae rolled his eyes and scoffed. “No wonder you insisted on paying!”

They laughed and walked a few more distance, then stopped in front of a building with orange colour soo bright that it’s hurt to look at. They was about to enter the place when suddenly Youngjae pulled Daehyun back, hiding himself behind a vending machine.

“What are you doing?” Daehyun asked, perplexed.

“What are YOU doing?” Youngjae hissed back. “Look at that!”

Youngjae pointed at the boy behind the counter. “It is Minhyun...” Daehyun stated matter-of-factly.

“And?”

“And then I can get a big discount because of him...”

Youngjae facepalmed for a reason that Daehyun couldn’t comprehend. “Don’t you think that he wouldn’t think it’s strange for us to go together, just the two of us, like this?”

No, Daehyun thought. But Youngjae’s firm gaze outdared his own. “Well....so what should we do? I can’t just cancel it... I already told Minhyun to book us a room...”

Youngjae bite his finger out of habit, trying to think of any way out. “Aha!” He exclaimed, happy grin spread on his face. “Just tell him that Himchan and Yongguk will come later...”

“Are you sure?”

“Why not?”

Daehyun shrugged his shoulder and they walked into the building, hands apart. Why was it feels like they were secretly dating? Dealing with Youngjae is hard, he had to remind himself.

“Daehyun-ah!” Minhyun greeted him happily as he entered, and then his gaze quickly caught the sight of Youngjae. “Oh, and Youngjae...” The tall male gave him a meaningful look, but seriously, Daehyun didn’t understand what it meant. “Just the two of you?”

“No, Himchan-hyung and Yongguk-hyung will come later, Minhyun-ah...” Youngjae answered politely, his sweet smile adoring his face.

“Oh... is that so?” Minhyun said as he stared at Daehyun. What’s with him and all the secret eye contacts today? Geez....

“Yeah, they’ll come later, just give us the room already!” Daehyun ushered Minhyun to work faster, this is ankward and he just wanted to end this quickly. As he watched Minhyun processing everything, he hoped that Himchan was somewhere far away doing his another shopping spree with Yongguk, so he won’t ended up getting caught in another complicated affairs.

*****

 

“Seriously, Himchan? Karaoke?”

Himchan looked at the still-whining Yongguk walking behind. He’s such an old man. He complained about walking too much if they shop, and now he complained about going to karaoke. “What’s wrong? At least you could sit and relax...”

Yongguk pouted –and yeah, it’s actually a possible happening— “That’s the problem. You’ll be the one singing non-stop, and it’s just the two of us that it’ll be extra boring!”

“What can I do?! Daehyun is basically our only other friend and he has another plan today!” It pissed Himchan off, not because that the younger couldn’t hang out with them, but because he refused to tell him what was his plan. He had the gut feeling that it’s quite scandalous –well and he hoped it’s involving a certain someone *coughYoungjaecough*. “Don’t complain and let’s get in!”

He pointed at the very eye-catching building and dragged Yongguk inside. He was greeted by a tall and cute-looking employee. He felt like he had seen him somewhere. “We want—“

“They already went inside.” Before Himchan could finish his order, the boy had already gestured him to go with a smile. Himchan and Yongguk stared at each other, confused. Looking at the dumfounded pair in front of him, the boy reluctantly explained. “Well, you’re with Daehyun and Youngjae right, hyung? They alredy went ahead about twenty minutes ago....”

Wait? Who?

“Daehyun.... and Youngjae?” Himchan eyes suddenly sparked with interest.

“Nee, Hyung.... they said that you and Yongguk-hyung would come later. I thought that you already knew....”

Himchan gave the boy his best smile. “Of course I already knew , I just thought that they hadn’t come yet. So what’s room is it?” Minhyun told him and he quickly dragged Yongguk away. After they were out of the boy’s sight, the grin turned into a smirk.

“Yah, let’s get back Channie!” Yongguk tried to coax the other into stopping whatever plan is forming in his head.

“Don’t you hear it Gukkie? They are waiting for us. Daehyun.... and Youngjae....”

Yongguk gulped down nervously.

Just what the hell is happening?

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

Just what the hell did I write? Hahahhaa

Fyuh... I finally update -then there's kidnapping plan that i neglected, hiks-

OH! I got my copy of First Sensibility yesterday *after waiting for a month* and I GOT YOUGJAE'S PHOTOCAAARD

I'm REAALLLLYYY happy guys, really.....ahahahhaha

 

Oh and I saw someone tweeted about this fic and you just don't know how happy it made me -i'm that hopeless hahahahaha

and all of your comments made me reeeeally happy guys ^^

So! ENJOY THIS!