Eighteen: Clueless

Switch

 

“You have that already.” Daehyun stated when Youngjae took a black-colored album from the shelves. The younger innocently stared back at him in return.

“What?”

“That. The album in your hand. You already have that.” Daehyun emphasized his words by pointing at the album with bunny doodles in the cover. “Why buy another one?”

Youngjae sighed and looked at Daehyun as if he’s a patient with incurable disease. “You won’t understand, just shut up.”

Offended, Daehyun took the album from the other’s hand and raise it up in the air. “No, I won’t let you buy something you don’t need.” Youngjae rolled his eyes and took another album from the shelves. Daehyun quickly snatched it away.

Youngjae growled and took another one.

Again, Daehyun seized it.

“I swear Daehyunnie, stop it already.”

“No, before you explain why you need to buy two albums.” Daehyun was being stubborn.

“Okay.” Youngjae gave in. “I need to buy it for the photocard. I want to collect all member’s photocards. Now, let me achieve my goal peacefully...”

“So, you’ll buy six albums??”

“There’s an all-member photocard, so...it’s actually seven.”

Daehyun jawdropped. “You’re crazy...”

“I’m crazily in love with BAP, that’s it.” Youngjae calmly grabbed the album from the older’s grip and walked to the cashier.

“You shouldn’t do that, Youngjae-ah. That’s completely unbelievable! Just think about the amount of money you’re throwing away!” Daehyun began listing the other ways in which Youngjae could spend the money instead of buying the exact same albums. The younger gladly pretended that the other did not exist, and casually paid his purchase. “You could buy school books, of even better, food! You really need to tone it down. You should—“

“Aish, would you stop acting like an annoying boyfriend?!” Youngjae shouted his annoyance and Daehyun was caught off guard. When Youngjae realized that he just shouted it out loudly, his eyes widen and and now, the whole customers were staring at them. Even the cashier who was just about to give him his change,  stopped his hand mid-air.

“Jung Daehyun you idiot!” Youngjae quickly snatched his change and dragged Daehyun out before the girls in the store went wild.
 

*****

 

Himchan smiled creepily in front of his laptop, scrolling through his favorite forum. A girl had just posted something and it went viral in an instant.

“I SAW THEM TODAY! A date in the music store! This is DAEBAK guys!”

A few pictures of Youngjae and Daehyun, talking in the store was attached at the bottom.

Today they talked in class, ohmygodwhatasight MY EYES BURNED BY THE BEAUTY! A good-loking guy is unbearable, what about two?!”

The picture of Youngjae and Daehyun, smiling while sitting and chatting in their desk was uploaded.

“LUCKY!! I HOPE I’M IN THE SAME HOMEROOM AS THEM!!!”

“URGH! Don’t do this to me guys i have test tomorrow.ASDFGHJKLZXCVBN”

“JUST.KISS.ALREADY.”

“DID YOU HEAR THAT YOUNGJAE CALLED DAEHYUN AN ANNOYING BOYFRIEND AT THE STORE TODAY?!  ANNOYING. BOYFRIEND. BOYFRIEND GUYS!!!!  #DIED”

“HOLD ME. I CAN’T TT______________TT”

“Youngjae looks happier when he’s with Daehyun. I hope I’ll find the Daehyun to my Youngjae soon... *sobbing-in-a-corner*

“IF I WANT TO SHOVE THEM TOGETHER IN THE CLOSET AND LOCK THEM UP UNTIL THEY KISS, WOULD YOU HELP ME EXECUTE THE PLAN?!?!?! *gathering an army of shippers*”

Himchan laughed at the excitement of the shippers. He really wanted to do them a favor and make it happen. However, he didn’t think forcing the two idiots together would be the best way. Daehyun, if he really likes Youngjae (which Himchan firmly believe) was pretty much oblivious with his own feeling. His body reacted to his feeling really well, acting all protective and loving, but the brain just simply refused to catch on anything. Daehyun never think. He never gave thought to any crap going around in his head, Himchan concluded.

Youngjae, in the other hand, Himchan wasn’t really sure. That kid was unpredictable and unreadable. At some point, he can’t stop talking about Daehyun and seemed dependant on the boy. However, he could also appear all cold and ignorant. Treating the other like his slave (which Daehyun happily comply). Himchan needed to get closer to him, and peel the layer one by one, untill he can finally see through the mysterious boy, understanding the cold ice prince who’s not so cold anymore.

Well, the good news is, he could get to birds with a shot, as Daehyun had displayed something particularly interesting in respond to Himchan’s attempt in befriending the younger today.

*****

 

Both of them walked in complete silence on the way home, the tip of Youngjae’s ear burned red as he grumpily stomped on the road, fuming with embarassment. Daehyun, as the opposite, only found the incident funny.

“Stop grinning like an idiot.” Youngjae scowled, and Daehyun ruffled the younger’s hair lovingly.

“You should stop sulking.”

“Well, that was embarassing!” He exclaimed. “Don’t you feel embarassed?”

To be honest, no. Not the slightest. “A bit? Well, it’s okay. What to be embarassed about?”

“For once, they might think we’re dating.” Youngjae said, dead serious.

Urgh, not this again. Even after having Himchan believing and insisting that they’re dating—he even came up with a bunch of ‘proof’— Daehyun was still refusing to believe that people would see them that way. What’s with being a little touchy with guy friends? Wasn’t that quite normal anyway? Himchan was the strange one. “Us? Dating? That’s too far-fetched. We look more like brothers anyway. Stop overthinking something like that Youngjae-ah...”

Daehyun resumed his walk, and Youngjae quickly followed suit.

“Really?”

Daehyun nodded his head.

Youngjae opened his mouth trying to say something, but stopped.

“What is it, Jae-ah?”

Ani, nothing.” Youngjae shook his head and brought his gaze forward. Daehyun didn’t really need to know.

 

Upon arriving at home, Youngjae went straight to his room and locked the door. He quickly opened his laptop and went to a certain website, still leaving his room in the dark. He impatiently waited for the site to load, biting his fingers in the process. When it finally appears, Youngjae logged in and swiftly moved through the forum.

He groaned when he saw that the earlier incident had been caught by some fans.

The daejae –yeah, there’s something like that— was buzzing from his slip-up at the store.

Youngjae knew about this stupid pairing when it first started, but just let it pass in hope that it will dissapear over time. However, as he grew closer to Daehyun, of course, the pairing became even more famous. When Youngjae checked in after the threatening message incident, he found out that people had been secretly taking pictures of them and religiously though that they were real.

The problem is, Youngjae was beginning to feel comfortable around Daehyun—no, he’s definitely felt comfortable around the older— and when he’s completely okay, he was afraid that the other would be bugged by this shipping business. Youngjae was afraid that when Daehyun realized that their close relationship was being interpreted this way, he would felt disgusted and hate him as the result.

He rolled around on his bed and groaned.

He just want to be close with Daehyun. Simple, and uncomplicated.

'We look more like brothers anyway.'

Youngjae lied on his back and sighed. Brothers. Simple and save.

“Should I keep my distance for a while?”

He thought about it over and over again, untill his mother yelled at him for dinner and he had to drag himself before his mom actually breaks the door.

*****

 

Daehyun was sure that there’s something a little bit off about Youngjae. When he started to think that he finally got him figured out, he began to act the other way around, throwing Daehyun back and forth along the way.

Daehyun was sure that Youngjae was avoiding him, but not quite. He’s the same, but not quite. He still bugged him to no end in his room, shoving his obsession with BAP in Daehyun’s every being. Yet, he was beginning to see him less and less at school, or outside in general. He stopped asking him to go around music stores or fansigns.

“Don’t you want to buy something?” Daehyun curiously asked the younger when the recess came.

“Nope. Why?” Daehyun scratched his head, looking for any kind of believable answer. But before he can comes up with one, Youngjae stood up to leave.

“I’m going to the student council room, Himchan-hyung needs help. Wanna come along?”

Daehyun shook his head. “Nah, I need to meet Myungsoo after this.”

Mayhe, he just overthink. It’s true that he was becoming more busy with the culture festival in less than a week away. And Youngjae was also busy helping Himchan and Yongguk in the student council (he voluntered, Daehyun would’ve never guessed).

Maybe, it’s just them being busy, nothing less or more.

Yet, he couldn’t chase away the strange uneasiness everytime he caught upon Youngjae and Himchan laughing in the student council room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yey, I updated! A bit short but.... yeah.... there's some progress over there....right? Haahaha

So how was it?

Thanks for sticking up to this and I love you guys <3 <3 <3 <3