Seventeen: Nothing..?

Switch

 

The following weekend at school was even merrier than usual, thanks for the upcoming festival. The big day was still two weeks away, but everyone were already putting on their brightest expression. It’s like people were suddenly granted another litre of energy, and even they stopped complaining on math classes.

“EVERYONE, LISTEN!”

The buzzing classroom suddenly went to a halt as the ponytailed girl shouted from the front of the class. Jung Eunji, their strong-willed (and a bit violent) head committe had dragged Minhyun, who happened to be the poor class president, to begin another meeting. The teacher had given up their homeroom for the kids to prepare.

“Now, our class has to win this year’s festival!!”

“YEAHHH!!!!” Everyone, including the still clueless Daehyun, shouted at the top of their lungs.

“We have to beat everyone else and get 1st place on the best class category! What do you say!?” She added. The crowd cheered even more louder.

“What’s with this festival?” Daehyun finally asked— half-shouted to be heard between the still deafening mass— to Jinwoo, who sat in front of him.

“It’s because of the competition. The one who can get most visitors during the bazaar will get a prize, and this year, it’s a trip to Jeju!” Jinwoo enthusiastically explained. “It’s a pretty heated contest, last year we’re just this close to win—”

“NOW NOW, STOP!” Eunji hollered to gain back their attention. “Anyone with a good idea?”

“A cross-dressing cafe!!” The girls on the corner shrieked, and giggled afterwards. They do have a plentyfull of flower boys in the room – sadly, Daehyun was included in the list— and the idea made him cringe in horror...

“No way! Not in a million!” The boys were soon opposing the idea, and Daehyun joined in.

“Yeah! We won’t do that! We won’t!”

“STOP! STOP!” Eunji once again had to scream.

This will be a loong loongg discusion... Daehyun silently prayed that she would not lost her voice –and someone would not get killed— by the end of this meeting.

*****

 

“So, what do you think?” Eunji asked while putting on her brightest smile, which means that she’s just half-asking, half-threatening.

“O-okay...” Daehyun nodded his head in defeat. Their class had decided to open a cafe—NO, NOT the crossdressing cafe (apparently, the class next door had claimed it first), and Daehyun was eventually asked to sing. They will use the power of flower boys –who is just as desperate to get a girlfriend— to woo the customer in (Daehyun had learned that 80% of the visitors were girls from neighboring highschools).

It’s like the concept of Coffee Prince, with a little seasoning here and there.

“And how about Youngjae? Have you ask him yet?” Eunji looked a bit taken aback, as if the idea would never cross her mind. “Well, he’s not the most popular boy for nothing...”

“Well, I would like to.... but you know? What if he refuses?”

As if on cue—or maybe, Youngjae actually heard their conversation from his seat (Daehyun, and the rest of the world, would never know)— the younger boy sauntered from his seat to Daehyun’s. “Hey Eunji, is there anything that I could help with?”

Youngjae’s smile kind of stupified her for a minute.

“Yah! Eunji-yah!” Daehyun pinced her arm and she straggered back to life.

“Uh-oh, of course....” Well, it was her intelligent reply.

Then Youngjae stared at her. She stared back at Youngjae.

Daehyun facepalmed.

“So, maybe Youngjae could give free drawing or something?” Daehyun decided to drive the conversation back on track. The power of Youngjae’s rare smile was frightening...

“Oh! That’s a good idea... Well, not all the customers, but it’s like we will open some kind of VIP seat—Minhyun, take a note— and you can get a free drawing, a simple sketch will do Youngjae, and we wil get girls lining uuupp!” The prospect of customers flooding their cafe made her eyes sparkle with excitement. “Well, of course if you’re okay with that....” She added, unsure.

“Okay.” Youngjae replied with a small smile. “And it’s not only me, I think you could use most of the boys in this class to attract customers with their own speciality. Daehyun will sing, Seunghoon is good with dancing. Well, there are many other promising options.”

“That’s right! What are you waiting for Minhyun-ah? Go! Go! Ask the other boy!” And with that, Eunji shushed Minhyun and he quickly went off too ‘ask’ the others.

“So... Youngjae-ssi. Minah had told me about... what she did.” She quietly said to Youngjae after Minhyun was out of earshot. She was Minah’s bestfriend afterall. “Please don’t hate her. I know that what she did is stupid, but she just really really likes you.” Eunji shows her grim face as if she’s the guilty one. “She’s not really good with people so she don’t know how to express her feelings. I already gave her a good nagging, so... give her a second chance, will you?”

Youngjae gave him a sincere smile and nodded. “Well, she made me realize a few things... So, we’re kind of even.”

“Thanks a lot Youngjae-ssi. This means a lot.” With that, she left them to join Minhyun in the ‘hunting’.

“Well...well, look who’s Mr. Socializing now...” Daehyun couldn’t help the amused grin on his face. “I wonder if it will rain today...”

Youngjae lightly smacked his arm. “Tsk, you just don’t know how hard it is to start something like that...” He pouted and crossed his arm, but he didn’t move from his position, casually leaning on Daehyun’s desk.

Mianhe... I was just joking around...” Youngjae had stayed true to his promise, and Daehyun was gladly welcoming the changes.

“So, have you told the hyungs?”

Daehyun had promised to tell the truth to Himchan if they caught the culprit of the threatening messages, and he had done just that. The memory of their stupid conversation still hadn’t left him yet....

 

“So, we live together...”

Himchan choked on his iced Americano the instant Daehyun told him that. “WHAT?! So you’re not just dating but already living together?! YAH! ISN’T THAT TOO EARLY!?”

Daehyun rubbed his temple in exhaustion. He had no idea how to start a normal conversation with this hyung....“First, we are not dating. Second, I only free-lodge in his house because our parents are bestfriends.”

Himchan stared at him. Blink. Blink.

“You’re not tricking me because Yongguk told you to, right?” He narrowed his eyes, judging Daehyun. Hard.

“HYUNG!”

Himchan groaned. “How could you do this to me??”

“Do what?!?”

“Not dating!” Himchan stated that as if it’s the most obvious fact in the whole univese. “You can not ‘not dating’ Youngjae after everything you put me through!” The older boy was in his drama queen (or king?) mode, putting his best impersonation of a man facing the end of the world.

“I don’t put you through anything, hyung...” Daehyun sipped his cola and rested his back on the leather covered couch. There were only two other people beside them, and the shop owner was beginning to give them a judging look. “And what convinced you that much that we’re dating?”

“You...”

“What?”

“You...” Himchan straightened his head and looked at Daehyun square in the eyes. “Both of you are so ing transparent! You’re so obviously in love with each other that it’s hard not to push you into a room so you can ing kiss already!”

Daehyun gaped like a fish out of water. What?!

This hyung is insane. His lack of love life had driven him  delusional....right?

 

Remembering the conversation, Daehyun suddenly got goosebumps all over his body.

Himchan-hyung is scary...

“What? Did something happened?” Youngjae furrowed his eyebrows.

Nah, Youngjae should never get caught in Himchan’s mess.

“Nothing.”

“Oh!” The younger’s face suddenly lights up as he remembered something. “Are you free after school?”

“I have band practice, but I’m free after that.”

“Great, I want to buy something at the music store. Accompany me.”

No, that wasn’t a request. Not the slightest bit a request.

“But you’ll have to wait for me?”

“It’s okay, I’ll wait with Himchan-hyung. I’ll just message him.” Youngjae took his phone and began tapping on the slim gadget.

 

Wait, since when did they have each other’s number?

 

“You have his number?” Daehyun asked.

“Yeah, we’re texting.” Youngjae replied with a grin “He knows some stuffs about BAP because his sister is a fan. He promised to show me his sister’s photo collections next week!”

“Oh, he even knows that you’re a fan....”

“Well, he looks like a pretty cool hyung so I told him.”

Oh...well...

“What?”

Daehyun shook his head. “Nothing...”

 

Yeah, nothing.

*****

 

“See you!”

Daehyun waved his friends goodbye and walked down the corridor to the student council room. His throat sore from singing and he wanted nothing but rest, but hey there’s still Youngjae walking on the surface of the earth—what was rest?

The sound of laughter echoed from inside the room as he came nearer. It seemed like they are having a lot of fun.

“Oh, you’re here!” Himchan greeted him with a grin.

“Yep, where’s Yongguk hyung?” Daehyun realized the lack of the ever-present-student council president as he walked into the room.

“He’s with that Junhong kid. Yongguk takes him to his recording studio. He will introduce that kid to work part time there...”

“Yongguk-hyung has his own recording studio?!”

Wow....

“He’s our Mr. Capable, you shouldn’t expect less than that...”

Daehyun nodded in amazement. “So, ready to go Youngjae-ah?”

“Oh, actually if you’re tired... I can just go with Himchan-hyung. It’s okay.”

For once, Youngjae was letting him go.

What in the world...

 

“Youngjae-ah! Youngjae-ah!” The little Daehyun ascended the stairs with a big smile. His grin flattered as soon as he saw that the younger boy wasn’t in his room. “Youngjae-ah?”

“Are you looking for Youngjae?” Youngjae’s mother shouted from the bottom of the stairs. Daehyun clutched the plastic robot in his hands and walked down the stairs solemnly. “He’s out in the park with his father, he had been waiting for you but he got impatient so he left first...” Mrs. Yoo patted his head and smiled. “You should go join them...”

“Nee, aunty...”

“He just soo excited to see the street musician, don’t be mad at him ‘kay?” Daehyun nodded his head glumly and walked out the already-too-familiar house with a hunched shoulder.

Youngjae always waits for him before....

 

“Yah, Daehyunnie?”

Youngjae waved his hand in front of his face and Daehyun staggered back from the abrupt flashback.

What’s with the sudden recollection... “Oh, yeah? What?”

“You suddenly zoned out, are you that tired? I can always go with Himchan-hyung if yo—“

“IT’S OKAY!” Daehyun cut Youngjae’s words. “I’ll go with you.”

“Well.... if you said so...” Youngjae gathered his belongings and bid the oldest goodbye. “See you, hyung!”

“See you tomorrow, Himchan-hyung.” Daehyun gave Himchan a wave and swiftly dragged the clueless Youngjae by the wrist.

 

All the while, a playfull smirk made its way to Himchan’s mouth.

“I see...”

He still can win the bet afterall.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'M SO SORRY!!!
I've been slow in update...please excuse my laziness >____<

Yeah, but I'm alive and here it is :-D

How is it?? Do you like it??
Leave comment and I'll love you ^^