Nineteen: Well, maybe....

Switch

Hi, I'm still alive.....

First, I'd like to say sorry to all of you who had been waiting for an update. I'm soo sorry. Life had been hellish this past few months, I've been so busy that I hardly write anymore :-(

And I'm also sorry if this chapter is lacking in some ways, I'm trying to get a hold of my writing but... it kinda get rusty... well, ENJOY!
 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“HYUNG!”

Daehyun jumped in surprise as Junhong suddenly appeared from a corner, right in front of his face. The now pink-haired boy (the majestic result of Himchan’s make over) was laughing histerically when he saw Daehyun’s surprised expression.

“Aish, you punk!”

Junhong clutched on his stomach, trying to hold back his laughter. “Mianhe hyung, but you dozed off like that and I just had to pull off something to get your attention....”

Daehyun flicked the taller kid’s forehead. “What if I got a heart attack?”

Nee, mianhe...” Junhong smiled sheepishly. “So, what’s up, hyung? You looked gloomy today...”

“Really?”

“Yup! Something’s bothering you?”

Junhong was helping Yongguk a lot these days, and the kid had become the maknae of their little clique. However, Daehyun honestly never had a private talk with him.

“Come on, hyung. I might be a kid but I’m a good kid.” Junhong grinned at him—and no one could ever refuse a grinning Junhong— so Daehyun gave in.

“Well, hypotetically—I said hypotetically— when you feel, you know, uncomfortable... seeing your friends get along well with each other.... only hypotetically by the way, is it strange?” Daehyun tried to say it carefully, though miserably failing. He had to hold back the urge to look at Youngjae standing across the hall, happily chatting with Himchan.

“What? Do you feel like I’m taking away everyone from you?” Junhong gasped. Face washed away with guilt. It looked like he wanted to cry.

“Aish, how could you interpret my words into something like that?” Daehyun hold back the urge to smack some senses back into the boy. “I said hypotetically. And you’re not taking anyone from me, you’re a cool addition.” He gave Junhong an exaggerated thumbs up.

The younger boy beamed happily and slung his arm around Daehyun’s shoulders, casually dragging the older to the cafetaria. “So, tell me, who is the one stealing someone from your life, hyung?”

Daehyun let out a heavy sigh, eyes instinctively glanced around Youngjae’s direction. “Nah, no one is stealing anyone. It might be just me and all the stress and everything... I mean, I should be happy if both my friends befriend each other, right?”

“Well, naturally, you should...” Junhong lightly answered. Daehyun found it hard to keep up with the younger’s long strides.

“Then, if I’m not wholly happy— I am happy, but also slightly unhappy with this— what is wrong?” Junhong stopped in his track, right before the cafetaria’s door. His face scrunched up in a scowl, thinking.

Ten seconds.

Fifteen more.

“Nah! I don’t know hyung.” He nonchalantly shrugged. “I am no good with emotion and stuff. You should ask Jongup-hyung” Suddenly, his eyes shone with a mischief realisation. “You should ask Jongup-hyung!”

Without another word, Junhong had had Daehyun on his grip, dragging the boy away from the cafetaria’s door.

“Yah! How about lunch?”

“That can wait, hyung...”

“Then how about classes?”

The younger stopped for a while, a smirk dancing on his face. “Skipping a class or two won’t hurt. OFF WE GO!”

Daehyun really had no idea why he was caught with all kinds of weird people...

 

*****

Youngjae impatiently sat on his desk, fingers anxiously tapping the wooden surface. The last period was already over, but Daehyun—who had mysteriously dissapeared after lunch— was still nowhere in sight, leaving all his belongings unattended. The younger had messaged him a few times but there was still no response. With an annoyed huff, he picked up his phone and dialed the other’s number.

Beep beep.

Still no response.

His classmates were leaving one by one, b with anticipation as the festival coming nearer. Youngjae himself had a few task in hands, and he would certainly appreciate the older for NOT adding up his list of worries.

“Nee, Youngjae-ah?” Eunji hesitantly nudged his shoulder. Even the super-powered head committee was still awkward with his change of heart. “Do you know where Daehyun is?”

He shook his head, trying his best to hide his annoyance.

“Euhm, could you give this to him? This is the schedule for his gig in the cafe, I’m afraid it will clash with his band performance so please ask him to check, okay?” Youngjae wanted to protest. Why don’t just give it to Minhyun? Or, one of Daehyun’s known friends? But for the sake of socializing—duh— he accepted it with a smile.

“Sure.”

Eunji gave him a wide grin in return. “Thanks, Youngjae! And please stop fighting with him, okay?” With that, she left with a wave, leaving Youngjae alone trying to process her words.

What fight?

*****

I’m so worried about them. Guys, does the ship sinking?!

NO! THEY ARE NOT SINKING! THIS IS JUST A PHASE GUUUYS! WE WILL PASS IT TOGETHER.

I’m so sad, they’re not talking to each other anymore. Daehyun looked so dejected everytime Youngjae leave him behind L L L

No, eventhough Himjae is alluring but my heart will forever goes to Daejae >~<

DAEJAE FTW GUYS! Don’t lose hope!

And yesterday we were so happy with their development..... #facepalm

Maybe they knew that we knew? They’re just trying to hide their relationship guys! Don’t worry! #delulu #butwhatever

YOUNGJAE JUST BROUGHT DAEHYUN’S BAG WITH HIM. THERE’S STILL HOPE!

 

Himchan closed the forum in an awe. Being a fangirl must be hard. All the emotional turmoil going on the forum made him dizzy, but also excited in a strange way. Youngjae was avoiding Daehyun? Well, that was new. He did realise the frequency in which the younger constantly spend his day with him, or Yongguk, in the student council room. On a second thought, maybe Youngjae DID avoid Daehyun the past week.

“Hey, hyung...”

Speak of the devil.

Youngjae looked annoyed. The scowl was visible in his face. He had brought Daehyun’s bag with him and just randomly thrown it to a chair.

“Where’s the owner of the poor bag?” Himchan asked, brows furrowed.

“Dunno. Don’t care.” The younger answered curtly.

“Did you two had a fight?” The older casually asked. It might be the chance to dig deeper. An angry man tends to let his guard down.

“No. We don’t...” Youngjae tiredly muttered. What’s with people and their assumption? “Why do people think we’re having a fight anyway?”

“People? Well, for me it’s because you rarely spend your time with him. Like, you’ve been avoiding him all the time...” Himchan was carefull in picking the younger’s expression. He nearly exclaimed in joy when he saw Youngjae fidgeting in his chair, like a kid caught stealing some candy. “I don’t think people see it that way. It’s just that I know you two are living in the same house, so seeing you like this is actually strange...”

“Is that so?”

“Yup. What happened? You know you can tell me anything Youngjae-ah...”

The younger was hesitant for a moment, and Himchan had to force himself to be patient.

Just say something already.....

With a heavy sigh, Youngjae began his tale. He poured down his worries, knowing that Himchan was already aware—and even familiar— with the strange shipping business.

“So, that’s it hyung.” Youngjae concluded. “I’m just afraid that if Daehyun know he was paired with me THAT way, he’ll get disgusted and leave me... strange, huh?” He tried to make it casual with a smile, but for Himchan, it came off as ironic instead.

“Well... do you feel disgusted?”

“No. Why should I? But the problem is, I know that people here do not really meant it. However, Daehyun is new, he may perceived it differently... how if he thinks I’m really into him?”

Himchan leaned back in his seat, brows furrowed. First, well, he thinks that the shippers really meant it, and.. “You’re not into him that way?”

With that, Youngjae bursted out laughing. “Me? Daehyun? What are you getting at, hyung? Of course not! Well, I like him... I really like his company,  but into him that way? Noope. Seriously, no.”

“Oh...” This is not good.

“Why are you looking sad, hyung?”

“Me? No... it’s just that... you know....”

Whatever’s he wanted to say was silenced by the door abruptly opening, Daehyun emerged from behind the wooden frame with a slightly confused face. “Euhm... my bag...” He said sofly, eyes going anywhere except Himchan and Youngjae.

“It’s in the chair.” Youngjae answered curtly.

Having no respond from Daehyun, who disorientedly retreated his bag, fidgety and awkward, Youngjae snorted. “Yah! You’re suddenly missing and bothered me with that and now you’re gonna leave without thanking me and to think that—“

“Thanks, Youngjae.” Daehyun stopped Youngjae mid-sentence. Is that a blush? “I need to go. I’m gonna catch the earliest train to Busan. Bye.”

Youngjae jawdropped as the other mindlessly went to the door, seemed to be bothered by something.

“He’s going back to Busan?” Himchad raised an eyebrow, surprised. “A week before the festival? Really?”

Annoyed, Youngjae kicked the nearest chair, letting his short-temper known to the older. “Doing just whatever he likes! That brat!”

Himchan could only sighed, wondering what’s with the sudden development.

*****

 

Daehyun walked in a hurry, face burning red from something that he didn’t quite understand. He needed to go home, he needed to calm himself down. He needed space, he needed...

Suddenly, his earlier conversation with Jongup came back in a flash.

 

“A problem? Well, I’ll help if I can...”

Jongup must be an angel in disguise, Daehyun concluded. Junhong and he had practically invaded his school (the youngest is a frequent visitor, being around too much he already knew the secret way in), kidnapped him to the rooftop, forced him to skip class only to hear Daehyun’s midless rant, and he was still smiling happily like a puppy. Besides him though, Junhong had the evil smirk plastered in his face like an eternal stamp. The duo is a weird, yet syncronized, combination.

“So, tell him, hyung! Tell him!” Daehyun was more than just reluctant for many reasons. Well, he wasn’t that close with Jongup,and he was afraid that it will only bother the muscled boy. However, seeing Jongup’s encouraging smile— and Jungong expentant grin— he gave in.

“Well, I have a friend... He’s really strange. He’s moody and has a very bad temper. I can’t tell you the detail but he’s obsessed with a very unexpected thing, and he always act like a crazy kid for that particular hobby of his.” Daehyun chuckled remembering Youngjae’s antics. “He’s annoying, and he used to cling to me, following me around... He didn’t have any friend, so I guess I’m his only option. I like his company anyway.

So, now he’s in the process of changing— and I honestly think it’s for the better. He got new friends, he socializes more.... he becomes bestfriend with my other good friend. And I know I should be happy, and proud even! However....” Daehyun stopped for a sigh, he looked at Jongup as if he just committed something forbidden. “I feel sad. Maybe I feel replaced as a friend? I don’t know... I can’t be happy for them. I can’t see them together and be fine with it... strange huh?”

“Did Youngjae-hyung stop talking to you?” Jongup asked, there’s no reason for Daehyun to deny, he had a feeling that Jongup will catch on things—whether he let him or not. Junhong on the other hand, had his eyes wide open Daehyun was afraid it will pop from the socket.

“No, we’re still talking. He’s still clingy at home. But he acts differently at school, and he gets close to Himchan-hyung without me knowing, and I don’t know why I’m even upset...” Daehyun laughed to pass it out as nothing. Jongup and Junhong shared a knowing look.

“Hey, hyung... would you mind to close your eyes for awhile?” Daehyun perched his eyebrows, but reluctanly comply. He was already frustrated, that’s why.

“Now, I’ll ask you a few things. Don’t answer me. Just answer it in your head. Okay?”

“Oh, and don’t think of your parents while doing this.” Jungong added.

Daehyun nodded. And Jongup began.

“You have a happy news, who is the first person you would like to share it with?”

A certain excited face surfaced in his head, and he unconciously smiled.

“You really had a bad day, who is the first person you would like to keep you company?”

An animated hands flailing about, distracting him from all his worries with his comical expression came to his head.

“You have a chance to give someone a present, who will you give it to?”

A happy, pleased face, appeared.

“You need to wait in a very loong line to get a ticket.”

The same face. Now grumpily talking while pouting.

“You have a delicious treat.”

“You want to complain.”

Now, Jongup asked with less interval. Popping a question after another quickly, Daehyun barely having time to think of his answer

“You can give the world to him.”

A pause.

Daehyun quickly opened his eyes, preventing him—though failing— to see the same face appearing behind his eyelids. He was stunned from the sudden realisation as why Jongup bombarded him with such questions.

“Hyung,” Jongup sofly said, recognizing the shocked look  in Daehyun’s face. “I think you know why... you....”

 

Daehyun shook his head, he didn’t want to remember. He didn’t want to think about it. He didn’t want to acknowledge the silly thought that—

 

“...like him, hyung.”

 

He heard Jongup’s whisper in his head, and Youngjae’s face appeared without his consent.

 

He was certain that he needed to go home and clear his head.