That I was Once by Your Side

Love is a sweet melody sung by two ♡
XSYKOTICA








 

 

*Author's note: Just wanted to say that my condolences and prayers go out to the passengers aboard the Sewol Ferry and their families, I am including this incident into my story but let me just stress again that a) all my work is fictional and b) I do not mean to disrespect this incident in any way, please do keep praying for South Korea in this time of crisis 

Seyoung headed out to meet Hwi Kyung with a relatively light heart. Although she was nervous about meeting him, she knew that it was necessary and she was looking forward to clearing this matter. It seemed like a sudden decision, but when she was reflecting about it the previous night, she realised that her feelings for Wooyoung had taken root a long time ago, she just didn't notice it till now. Hwi Kyung was already seated at the cafe, a cup of coffee in front of him. Her favourite coffee was also already on the table, which made her smile. He just knew her so well. She took a seat and there were a few moments of awkward silence before Hwi Kyung opened his mouth. "I know what you're going to say now, and I'm perfectly alright with it. I mean, I'm sad, of course, and heartbroken, but after what I did to you, I sincerely feel that you deserve a person better than me, who loves you more than I do, and I think you found the right guy. Wooyoung really loves you and I can see that he is willing to sacrifice anything for you, which makes me very happy for the both of you. Be happy, Seyoung, and don't feel guilt towards me." Seyoung smiled gratefully at Hwi Kyung. As usual, he had been sensitive and had said everything she wanted to say. "Thank you, so much, Hwi Kyung ah, let's be good friends from now on, alright?" He nodded, a smile returning to his face. 

"So, what's the latest news on you two? Why isn't he here today?" "Oh, I thought that it would be better for me to talk to you alone without involving him, and he is going to Jeju today anyway. Look, he texted me right before he left. 'Seyoung ah, I'm headed to Jeju now. I'm taking the Sewol ferry to Jeju and I'll call you when I reach. Saranghae!' " As Seyoung was reading the message out, she didn't realise that the TV in the cafe was suddenly being switched on. They heard the words at the same time. "BREAKING NEWS: Sewol ferry sinks enroute to Jeju from Incheon. Rescue efforts are being carried out now to rescue the victims" Seyoung's face changed, she dropped her phone on the ground. Hwi Kyung spun around to look at the TV while going online to get more information. Seyoung started shaking and trembling as she reached on the ground for her phone. She quickly retrived Wooyoung's message again, sent an hour ago. That means...that means Wooyoung is on that sunken ferry! A surprising numbness gripped her, and it hurt more than agony, but it kept her sane and helped her to think logically. She walked out of the cafe and headed to her van, Hwi Kyung running behind her. They got on, and emotionlessly Seyoung ordered her manager to drive to the port. She couldn't think of anything during the ride, everything was a blur in her memory. Hwi Kyung kept a steady arm on her, to calm her down and keep her emotionally stable. 

Once they reached the port, they could see lots of commerical ships and small boats docked at the ports, streams of victims being rescued. They were huddled together on the dry land, sobbing but in safe arms. Seyoung sank in relief at the sight, feeling hope that Wooyoung was already being rescued and that this wasn't a serious incident. She scanned the area anxiously for Wooyoung, but she could not spot him anyway. Anxiety was rising again in Seyoung and she struggled to keep calm. She headed over to a group of students who were crying as they recounted their experience to the anxious parents huddled around. "We were the lucky ones, the crew told us to stay in the cabin but we were naughty and decided to exit, who knew that that would be our ticket to survival. Our classmates, our friends..." they couldn't go on talking due to the shock of what they had experienced, but Seyoung had heard enough. She realised with sinking despair that the situation was much worse than it seemed. She sat on the ground suddenly, the world whirring around her. Hwi Kyung squatted next to her but remained silent, not wanting to make it worse for her. And then, the worst came. 

A little boy started screaming Seyoung's name once he arrived on shore, his mother couldn't get him to shut up, so out of desparation, and spotting Seyoung, hurriedly brought the boy to her. "My Seung Li said that he had to pass something to you, thank God you're here." The little boy took out something that was stuffed tightly in his jacket. "Wooyoung, Jang Wooyoung from 2PM, wanted me to find you and pass it to you." She couldn't believe her eyes. "What? Where is he now? Did he come up with you?" The boy shook his head, slowly. "He...he rescued me. We were trapped in the cabin and when the waters started coming in he quickly came into the cabin and helped us out When he was rescuing me though, he seemed to have thought of something and typed it into his handphone before passing the handphone to me and telling me that you had to take this." The boy held out the phone, and with tears, bowed to Seyoung before walking away. Seyoung held the phone with trembling hands, crumbling completely on the ground. An extreme amount of lucidity came into her as she unlocked the phone, as if her mind was subconciously clear that this was Wooyoung's potentially last words to her and she had to pay careful attention to it.

It read, "Seyoung ah, I love you. I'm sorry for doing this to you, but I hope you understand me. I'm not leaving this ferry until I can get the students out. There are so many of them in there, all young lives that don't deserve to be wasted. Thank you for last night, and for the past few months during WGM. They may be my final memories, so I'm really glad that they were spent with you. Send my love to my family, and to the 2PM members. Take care of yourself, Seyoung ah, don't be too sad about this. Remember, even when you meet someone else, that I was once by your side. I was able to smile, when I was looking at you, and you had become my little shelter, before I drifted away. I'm sorry it has to end this way, but I want to leave you with a happy memory. Good bye, Seyoung, saranghae." 

Sobs wracked Seyoung's body and she collapsed in Hwi Kyung's arms, crying until she had no more energy left. She was just one of the many parents and people who knelt at the port, crying and grieving for their loved ones. 

#PrayforSouthKorea 

lyrics for the song: http://beylicious7.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/kyuhyun-that-i-was-once-by-your-side-lyrics/ 

Wooyoung's cover of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-5w6xlQ4Ls