FOUR

Why Me?

                Despite opening up to the public about his secret relationship EXO-M were still promoting actively in China. As curious as people were as to who the girl was exactly, no one seemed to push it so hard. As calm as things were in the meantime, working was the best way to work past it.

                However, it got doubtful again pretty quickly for me. Just before EXO-M left for China, I signed a contract agreement to be a member of the company's new project unit, SM Multi. Day after that, I found out the other members would be Super Junior's Heechul, Girls' Generation's Seohyun and EXO-K's Chanyeol. Why was I feeling doubtful?

                Chanyeol's a good friend and also helped look out for me before I debuted. We quickly develop a good friendship because we were the same age. But since the word got out about Kris' "secret" girlfriend, I haven't kept in touch with any of the EXO members. I only hoped I wouldn't have to explain myself so much to him.

                I turned up to headquarters the next day for the photoshoot of our teasers and found that I was the first person to arrive.

                "Oh? I'm early?" I asked the director.

                "No, you're on time, just go into makeup," he said, simply.

                I did as I was told and sat in the makeup chair, waiting patiently for the stylist unnie. About five minutes went past as I was fiddling with my phone until the door opened again. I expected the stylist unnie, but instead, a tall figure emerged into the room. He was about as tall and about the same built as Kris would be but with fairy-like ears and a very open face.

                "Oh, Ren-ssi!" he beamed happily.  "It's been so long."

                I high-fived him as he sat down in the chair beside me. "Yeah, I know. Hey, I listened to the recording again. You raps are really good."

                "Oh, jeongmal? Your vocals were good too. Crescere will do well!"

                "Oh, god, I hope so," I said, helplessly, letting out a sigh.

                "Why wouldn't you--" Chanyeol started. Once he noticed my blank face, he realised quickly what I meant. I didn't expect him to figure it out so quickly but since he cut himself off midway, I felt it best to talk it out with someone close to Kris.

                "Does he say much?" I asked.

                "Only that he hopes you'll wait for him," Chanyeol replied, simply, but calmly.  "We all know he's happy with you. And I don't wanna tell you anything that will change your heart. But…he does love you."

                Butterflies swarmed my stomach as he spoke. Embarrassingly, Kris was my first boyfriend, so I had no idea whether to feel flattered or worried. Over the four months we had been dating, he had not said "I love you" directly yet. Not to mention, every other boy that had remotely confessed to me never said so to my face. Kris was the first; that was why I assumed he was the one for me. And I enjoyed thinking that he was. But between being an idol with a hectic schedule, our commitment to our groups and the company and with both our home countries at opposite ends of the world from each other, was it worth straining all of that for something that could still potentially blow up in our faces?

                "He told us that he loved you before he said it on broadcast," Chanyeol continued.  "And look…you're my friend and he's my hyung, and I wanna be there for you both. But at the end of the day, I only care about everyone's happiness. Whether you break up or not, EXO and Crescere have to go on."

                "No, of course they do," I said. "I guess…I guess that's what I'm worried about. It's not fair that you all have to get dragged into this mess with us."

                "Don't worry about us, just worry about you!" said Chanyeol.  "Worry about your dongsaengs. We'll deal with our own issues. We're guys, we move past things faster."

                I crunched my eyebrows with a smile, finally meeting his eyes. "Okay."

                "Just don't break his heart. He loves you. If you don't love him, don't lead him on. You'll only end up hurting both of you."

                "But…" I started.  "But…I think…"

                "Don't say anything more to me. Say it to him!" Chanyeol quickly in. He smiled widely. "Dang, it's bad enough I heard him say it first before he said it to you! Don't blow it on me; you know I like to talk. Imagine how much Jongdae would have to say."

                "Oh, please!" I exclaimed, with a laugh.

                Being the same age, I was also close with Chen, Baekhyun and D.O. And if it was Chen sitting in that chair instead of Chanyeol, this conversation would have gone a completely different direction.

                "Annyeonghasaeyo!" two voices from behind beamed. One voice was soft and gentle-toned belonging to a woman, not much older than Chanyeol and myself, while that other was deeper, but not as deep as Chnayeol's voice.

                "Oh, Sunbae-nim annyeonghaesaeyo!" both of us said, hastily standing up from our chairs.

                Seohyun and Heechul finally arrived.

                "Serenity-yang! Have you been well?" Heechul asked.

                Although my stage name is "Ren", it was also my nickname as I grew up because "Serenity" was a mouthful. But a lot of people still liked to call me that; I didn't mind.

                "Ne, Sunbae-nim," I replied, bowing my head. "Sunbae-nim, I really enjoyed your latest episode on War of Words!"

                "Oh, yeah? Gomawa. Good luck for your performance tonight!" said Heechul. "We all voted for Crescere to win."

                "Oh! Kamsahabnida," I said.

                It seemed neither Heechul nor Seohyun knew anything about me being Kris' girlfriend, or they were being polite about it and not asking.

                After all four of us were done in the make-up room, Heechul and Seohyun went ahead first to the stage to do their individual shoots first. Chanyeol stayed back with me for a while longer.

                "Well, hey," he started. "They come back next week. I'm no expert, but…think about what you wanna say to him. I know you'll make the right choice."

                I sighed and nodded. He was right. But I had to ask him anyway. "Can I ask you something, as a man?"

                "Sure."

                "If we break up steadily, he'll go on," I started.  "He'll continue his career and I will too and hopefully turn out well."

                "Yeah…"

                "If we stayed together…in favour of our members, should I stay hidden or show my face?"

                Chanyeol's smile faded. EXO were one of my most respected seniors and I didn't want to be the reason they cause a dispute amongst each other. But I didn't know who else to ask.

                "That’s not for me to say," he answered. "Like I said…EXO and Crescere will go on. You and Kris are a different affair. We won't get involved. If someone says anything about the rest of us going down with you, then they're in the wrong, not you. So think about what to say to him, but not too hard. You're the shoo-in for number one tonight! Don't blow it."




Getting to the bigger ...I promise ><" I have a few things in mind but I'm not sure just yet of which one should go first. Bear with me, but it will get juicier xP if its still to boring, lemme know ^^