TWENTY-EIGHT

Why Me?

 

[Ren's POV]

                I was so mad at my manager that I pulled the battery out of my phone. The EXO members didn't mind my company, but they were still weary of me. But luckily not for long.

                "Oh, she can stay," said Xiumin.

                "What?" asked Suho. "How?"

                "Manager Hyung's not coming home tonight," said Xiumin. "He rarely does, anyway! You know that!"

                "I can sleep on the floor," I said. "So I don't have to leave any evidence on his bed."

                "No, don't do that; you can have my bed," said Xiumin. "I'll sleep in his bed."

                "Are you sure?" I asked.

                "Yeah! I like switching between the two beds anyway; he knows!"

                The other members were still a little weary. But at least they approved of me. Then again, even if I was caught by anyone, I couldn't care anymore. The fans and the media, and even the company, may think we're just another 'idol couple' that's still getting to know each other; but we weren't. We're using that process to prepare for the future together. And I intended to make it work.

                Throughout the night, I ran up and down the dorm trying to make myself useful. I gathered a few essentials from Kris' room and made myself up a bin to dispose any evidence of me staying the night. The Oppas kept trying to calm me down by changing the topic a lot, such as asking about my members and whether or not they help with wedding plans. But as much as I appreciated it, it didn't make me feel any better.

                "Ren-ah, you don't have to keep cleaning up after us," said Xiumin. "If things get any cleaner, that's when our manager will suspect us of something."

                I stopped mid-track of arranging Kris' shelves. Xiumin had a point.

                "Are you sure you're OK?" he asked, leaning against the doorway.

                "No," I sighed. "But I will be."

                I opened one of Kris' draws and found myself a long shirt and tracksuits. I sighed contently with them but then my face dropped again when I looked at Xiumin.

                "You can talk to me," he said.

                "Why?" I asked. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

                "Have I ever been mean to you?" Xiumin asked, jokingly.

                I knew it was a joke, but I didn't take it as one. I just bobbed my head down sadly.

                "I have a little sister too," he said. "I love her a lot. And if I knew something bad was happening to her or something bad was about to happen to her, I wouldn't stop until I knew she was all right. And if you're serious about marrying Kris, then I'm gonna be serious too. So like it or not, you're my sister too."

                That almost brought a tear to my eye. I don't often get a chance to talk to Xiumin. But I had a feeling I was about to learn a lot more about him than I knew.

                "Come on," he said. "I'll let you get changed. And then we can talk."

*

[Kris' POV]

                I felt sick. I could blame it all on air-sickness all I wanted, but I knew it wasn't the case. Regardless what phone I used, I couldn't get through to Ren. It was killing me not knowing how she is. Even if she was angry with me, or was misunderstanding me, I need to hear her voice.

                I knew that having arguments was inevitable. But I had always hoped that our arguments would be over something important. And I reckon this was one that I was gonna have to be prepared for. And I was. I just needed her.

                As soon as I passed through customs, I scoped around the crowd looking for, what I thought, would be a young girl. Instead, I found myself running into the arms of woman.

                "Yifan-ge!" she exclaimed. "Yifan-ge!"

                She was so grown up! The last time I saw her, she was 14 and hadn't hit her growth spurt yet. Now, rumour had it, among Ma's side that she was now a working model.

                "Xiao Mei?" I said. "Is that really you?"

                "Yifan-ge!" she exclaimed happily as I approached.

                "Holy crap! You're so big!" I exclaimed.

                Even as I hugged her, I could understand how she'd make a successful career as a model. She was wearing heels, but she seemed to be about Ren's height. I couldn't get over how much she'd grown. Her airport attire clearly showed how much of a celebrity she had turned herself into.

                "I've missed you! Are you OK? You wanna go home first?" asked Xiao Mei.

                "Oh, nah, I think I'll go straight to the hospital," I said. "How is she? What happened exactly?"

                Xiao Mei's expression dropped dramatically. She's always been a very modest person; just like Ren. She probably felt obligated to keep Ma's confidentiality. And I respected her for it.

                "She was hurt," she said, quietly. "That's all I know."

                I just nodded. "OK. Can you take me to her?"

                "Of course. Come with me."

                "And tell me about you too! Has it really been that long? I could barely recognise you!"

                "Hey, a lot can happen in eight years, Ge-ge! Clearly, you've been doing a lot yourself. That means I can too!"

*

[Ren's POV]

                I laid listlessly on my back with the blanket over my face. Throughout the whole time underneath, my thoughts were going back and forth between reasons of what Kris would be doing at this point in time. I couldn't blame him for not being able to contact me at the last minute, and I couldn't blame him for leaving without me; it was his mother.

                In the midst of all those thoughts, President Kim shot into mind as well. Why? Why me? We were never under a dating ban or a ban to not associate with each other. He knew about our engagement and he said he'd leave it in our hands to sort it out until the time is right to reveal it. But why is he now deciding to keep us away from each other?

                "OK, I'm done," said Xiumin.

                With a flick of my hands, I flipped the blanket off my face and turned my head to find Xiumin fully dressed in his PJs. He had bulked up a lot.

                "I'm a fool, aren't I?" I asked.

                "What?"

                "I'm a fool. I'm a fool for thinking things could work out smoothly between us."

                "You're not a fool. You took a risk, but it doesn't make you a fool."

                "Oppa, half your fans are my antis and they're probably leaping for joy now that Kris is in China by himself. Breakup rumours are gonna spread like wildfire."

                "Dongsaeng, it doesn't matter what other people think or write. The only person that knows the truth is you and you alone. If they don't want to listen to you, that's their problem. But Kris is only marrying one person; you. Don't down yourself over something out of your control."

                

 

 

Short update, i know
But it would have been too long if i added more
And I figured the dialogue went on for long enough
And besides, i need to end this somehow ><"

So...I started dull and i'm ending it dull ><"
I guess some first stories just aren't supposed to work out...
Thanks for gutting it through with me xP