FOURTEEN

Why Me?

[Kris' POV]

                After closing the door, my hand didn't leave the doorknob. Instead, I pressed my forehead against the door and closed my eyes for probably a good ten minutes.

                I wanted to feel relieved, but I couldn't. I, too, was guilty. It was my fault Ren fell pregnant to begin with. I should not have allowed her to go through with it herself. And as unprepared as we are to be talking about having kids, I was also sorry that the foetus never got the chance to greet the world. But beyond that, I was a little taken back by Ren's statement.

                "Hyung," called Chen.

                I opened my eyes at his voice and turned around. He stood with a solemn face. Some of the other members came out from their rooms as well, others just peered their heads out the doors.

                "Hyung, we know," said Chen. "Do you need us to do anything?"

                I shook my head. "I just wanna go to bed. I'm exhausted."

                I walked steadily to the bathroom, with the members watching me. Luhan grabbed my arm before I actually stepped in.

                "Yifan," he spoke in a tender voice. "We also know that we may not know the specifics. But whatever she said...think about it really hard. You don't need to tell us but at least know the right thing to say to her. We're all here for you no matter what."

                I sighed deeply and glanced around the dorm where the members were scattered. Again, the first thing I notice was that Tao was missing. I dropped my head. As touched as I was by Luhan's word, one missing person's support still had me on my toes.

                "Thanks," I said, bluntly.

*

[No-one's POV]

                "Let's leave him alone for a while," said Luhan, shooing the members away from the bathroom door. "Zitao, come out here!"

                "Don't do this tonight," said Xiumin. "It might complicate things even more."

                "I'm not gonna beat him," said Luhan. "I just know he deserves it, but I won't do it."

                Listlessly trudging out of his room, Tao came and stood about two metres away but directly opposite Luhan.

                "Yeah?" he spoke, in an irritated tone and a frown.

                "What's with that attitude?" asked Luhan. "I just called you out here."

                "Yeah, and what do you want?" asked Tao, still irritable. "I'm tired."

                "And so is everyone else here," said Luhan. "So on that note, over the next few days, you stay off everyone's nerves. Kris Ge's going through a rough patch. I don't know what you've been doing or saying that's making him angrier than usual, but stop it. It's pissing us off too."

                Tao sighed and looked around at the members staring back at him. They looked less irritated than him and more in agreement with Luhan; or rather they didn't want to get involved in the situation.

                "Whatever's going on between me and him is our business," Tao finally said, trying to stay composed. "And whatever's going between the two of them is their business. I mind my own business. Maybe you all should try doing the same."

                He turned around to stomp back into his room, but the bathroom door swung open. Kris stood in his jeans and topless. He looked at Tao with his usual frown. He didn't seem angry or upset or even remotely hurt; maybe only a little bit annoyed. The members all figured he was doing his best to contain his anger. However, his smooth yet chisel-toned body seemed tensed.

                "Seems fair when you say it like that," Kris said, huskily. "So now I know when to not include you in negotiating my relationship boundaries."

                Tao sighed irritably again and rolled his eyes. "Ge, I didn't mean it like that..."

                "I asked you, I BEGGED you to tell me what was so wrong," Kris suddenly raised his tone. He stepped out from the bathroom completely with his fist clenched tightly onto the shirt he was wearing earlier. "What did she ever do to you? Did something happen that I didn't know about and you're scared to tell me? Just WHAT THE IS IT?!"

                "Hyung, hyung!" exclaimed Chanyeol, holding Kris back as he made an attempt to charge forward. "Hyung, it's late."

                "What is it?!" Kris hissed desperately. "What is it that's so wrong that you can't let me be comfortable with loving her?"

                Luhan's face dropped the most out of everyone. Xiumin looked at him and shook his head.

                Tao and Kris just kept looking at each other. Tao was expressionless but Kris' frown turned fierce. The tension between their glares was strong enough to break through glass.

                "Nothing," Tao said firmly. "You're overtired. You're thinking too hard. You're fighting with the wrong person."

                Tao marched back to his room and slammed the door shut.

                "Yah! Don't lock the door! We need to sleep too!" Xiumin called out.

                "Sorry," Luhan muttered, looking at the floor.

                "Who are you apologizing too?" asked Xiumin. "And besides, maybe Tao's right, you should mind your business. Fair enough, he's being a retard about it, but supporting Kris doesn't mean forcing it on him."

                "Look, can we just get some sleep?" Suho spoke. "I think we all need to think about what to say. Let's just go to bed before someone else says the wrong thing."            

                Kai, Sehun, D.O and Baekhyun, who have been quiet spectators the whole time were the first to move off into their rooms, followed by Chanyeol. The remaining members, the M members (minus Tao), and Suho continued to exchange glances.

                "She probably told us more than what we deserved to know that day," Suho started. "The last thing we wanted was for you to feel burdened by all this. But it was her decision to wait until you got back to know. It was killing her, but we couldn't do or say anything to help. I guess I'm saying...us in K are getting the hang of grasping the facts. But you guys...Kris hyung...you just take your time."

                Kris looked up at Suho and nodded curtly. "There was nothing anyone could do. It's no one's fault. I just need to sit and talk with her."

                Luhan nodded his head. "You do what you need to. Don't worry about us. Don't worry about Tao."

                "Just leave him," sighed Kris. "He thinks he can handle things on his own, let him. I'm going to bed."

                "Night Hyung," said Chen.

                They watched him as he made his way into his room, with Lay following him closely behind.

                "With Ren's permission, I will personally pound Tao myself," Chen spoke up again, once the door closed.

                "No bashing each other," said Suho, followed by a pause. "Without my permission."

*

[Kris' POV]

                "Hyung," Lay's voice called softly. "Are you asleep?"

                "No," I said back.

                I had been lying in bed, shuffling and turning for the past hour. I was probably the reason Lay was still up too. The thought of Tao kept irritating me. He never used to be this stubborn about accepting my help. It's not as if I neglected my duties as leader.

                "Am I lacking something?" I asked Lay. "Since Ren and I started dating?"

                "No," Lay replied, simply. "Are you still thinking about Tao?"

                "I can't get what he said out of my mind."

                "Look, he's not talking to any of us really," said Lay. "At least not about her or you and her together. He'll open up when he's ready."

                "I just..." I sighed. Unable to contain the irritability I had lingering in my body, I sat up abruptly. "I want things to work for me and Ren. I mean...I love her."

                "I don't doubt that you do; but did you really consider?" asked Lay. "I mean...you proposed to her after five months. You were planning it since four months in; and now...you're taking her to meet your mother!"               

                "I haven't booked the flights yet," I said, in my hopeless defence.

                "Whatever the heck," Lay shot back. "But are you sure you're not rushing things? You guys already had too."

                "Look, you know me," I said. "I never do anything without thinking it through. I promised myself and Ren that I would make it work. I guess...I was hoping that the proposal and...the ...would guarantee us being together."

                Suddenly, I was giving myself a bigger headache. I laid back down and sighed.

                "! I'm so stupid!"

                "You're not," Lay said, calmly. "I'm sorry I questioned you. You're in love. I shouldn't have said anything. I want you two to be happy, I really do. But let's face it; you come with a huge package deal. Don't let that be the reason that you two get into fights."

                I managed to steady my breathing. I knew what I had to do. Lay didn't particularly make things easier, but I knew what to do.

                "We love her too, honestly; in our own way," said Lay. "But you agreed to separate her from us. You've done a good job so far. Don't blow it now."

*

[Ren's POV]

                At 2:00AM, I still hadn't fallen asleep. I thought back to the day I first met Kris. It was honestly embarrassing to think back. But I also wondered, would my life and career have been any easier if I hadn't met Kris when I did? I was a happy fangirl who, even as a hoobae, supported him quietly with fansite comments and album collections. Now, I'm living the dream of every other fangirl. What had I done to deserve him though? Why me?

                Still unable to fall asleep, I sat up and reached out for my table top bench. I felt around for a small, fury box; the one where I left the ring. I my lamp and opened the box to admire the ring. I was still in awe that it was mine. Slipping the ring on my finger, I watched it glisten dimly under the low light of my lamp. Was I really worth wearing this ring?

                "Unnie," Hyoim's soft voice called from outside my door

                "Oh, Hyoim-ah?" I called back. "What's wrong? Come in."

                The door pushed open and creaked softly. Hyoim, in her pale pink pyjamas, baby-stepped her way in and closed the door behind her.

                "I had a bit of a nightmare," said Hyoim. "But then I saw your light on and I thought you had a nightmare too."

                "Oh, I didn't," I said. "I just couldn't sleep."

                I sighed and looked back down at the ring.

                "It's so beautiful," Hyoim said, also admiring it. "I hope my boyfriend gets me one that pretty too."

                I chuckled. "You guys are still young. Heck, even I reckon I'm still young for this. But we're not getting married yet. This is just to guarantee us a chance to make things work."

                "I know, Unnie. Are you OK though? After your..."

                "Yeah, I'm fine. At least...I'm better than before. Oppa knows now so...it'll take time for it to sink in for him."

                Hyoim's eyes glared at you. "Unnie, Saerom and I have been talking. Kimi Unnie sounds like she still doesn't like you. I mean...not that she doesn't like you, it's just...she's acting like she's jealous again. Like when we all first met."

                My face dropped, partially in annoyance.

                Truth be told, Kimi and I have never actually cleared the air about it between ourselves either. It's been two years since we debuted, but three-and-a-half years since we first met. Kimi was the self-proclaimed best vocalist in her class at the time. She was good, but she knew it, and had a bad ego for it; until I came along and put her in place.

                I didn't do it purposely. Being older and with an already mature voice, our teachers praised me almost too generously for Kimi to bear. But because of the language barrier, I didn't know how to explain myself or lecture her about being modest. Also, she had couldn't say anything against me because she knew I had said nothing for her to work with. Sure, I hadn't trained for as long as the girls did, but I sure as Hell knew what I was gonna have to put up with in the meantime.

                "Maybe it's time I finally talk to her; properly," I said.

                "Don't tell her I told you though," said Hyoim. "Jaekyung Unnie reckons she deserves a beating for it and Ruby just doesn't understand a thing..."

                "Don't say that," I said. "Ruby may still be in middle school, but the fastest way she's gonna learn is if we include her the same way as the rest of us. Just no bad influences. That's why I better talk to Kimi when we're both in a mood."

                "All right Unnie. I think I should leave you alone. You're meeting with Oppa tomorrow. Jaekyung Unnie said we should to go out and eat so you could be here alone with him. We'll bring you back something."

                "Thanks," I said, smiling. "You've always got my back."

                "Of course I do," piped Hyoim. "I love you, Unnie!"

 

 

 

 

I think I may be getting sidetracked about here, but I promise it'll make sense eventually...
still very awkward at this; I appreciate you all bearing through this =)